Buy Fee Change Discussion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 988 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 hours ago, Mariusz Ivanovic said:

Saying something is WRONG without explaining WHY, or offering ways to correct what you think is wrong is just your opinion...Please provide some constructive feedback, instead of acting like a pig headed imbecile. I also don't see how ANYTHING I said was irrelevant to what I was talking about...I was comparing REAL WORLD markets and other similar situations and products to the current discussion. If you want to defend constant fee hikes, and greedy tactics, that's your right I guess...I don't agree with that, but it doesn't make you WRONG...perhaps you like starting pointless arguments about things you know little about, or fully understand...also your right to do...doesn't make you wrong...just look kinda silly

Theresa Tennyson pulls her mouth over into a more bemused version of the "Mikayla is not impressed" face as she reads this.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Sooo... I gotta buy a new load of L$ in a day or two.

Any fresh hints and tips, like "buy lots" or "buy not so much"?

Hm that's a tough one tho. I don't know what your usual buy was, but when a fee that is maxed out at 9.99$ does make a super huge difference to your RL than I don't know T^T I bet you save more when you make bigger buys now, than many small ones but this was like that before already 🤔 but when you only buy like 20$ nothing changes in the fee for you tho. But when you say when you buy a huge amount, you will spend it right away that's maybe also not the most clever thing to do then x3 I think spending habits are very different in SL so it's hard to give a real advice on this I think 💕

1 hour ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

.............................But when you say when you buy a huge amount, you will spend it right away that's maybe also not the most clever thing to do then x3 I think spending habits are very different in SL so it's hard to give a real advice on this I think 💕

I put the money on an alt, so I have to log in the alt to transfer money to me. It is strange, but it feels like I do not have so much money to spend when I have 2600 on Mariannes account and 18 000 on the alt.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Marianne Little said:

I put the money on an alt, so I have to log in the alt to transfer money to me. It is strange, but it feels like I do not have so much money to spend when I have 2600 on Mariannes account and 18 000 on the alt.

Omg thats smart ✧\(>o<)ノ✧

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Yup, it works the same with me.

Sid only has money to upload meshes, textures and tier. Every week I start with the same amount as budget.
If there is a (little) surplus from sales on the Marketplace it goes to my bank alt.  If I want to go shopping for clothing or furniture, I have to log into the bank alt and transfer the extra L$ I need to Sid. If I have to buy L$ it goes straight to the bank alt as well.

In a way it is fooling yourself of course, but when I have 5 figures of L$ on my Sid account, I somehow start to buy a lot more than intended.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

Yup, it works the same with me.

Sid only has money to upload meshes, textures and tier. Every week I start with the same amount as budget.
If there is a (little) surplus from sales on the Marketplace it goes to my bank alt.  If I want to go shopping for clothing or furniture, I have to log into the bank alt and transfer the extra L$ I need to Sid. If I have to buy L$ it goes straight to the bank alt as well.

In a way it is fooling yourself of course, but when I have 5 figures of L$ on my Sid account, I somehow start to buy a lot more than intended.

I think of it more as having my own personal bank that is open 24/7. I still have to make the effort to transfer the Ls just as I still have to find an ATM or branch to make a withdrawal from a RL bank. It's like my RL checking* account. No accrued interest but no monthly fees either. 

• Like 2

On 4/19/2021 at 10:05 AM, Coffee Pancake said:

Feel free to list all the other ways a basic accounts actual real life money is ending up on LL's balance sheet.

Basic accounts can own Private Regions with actual real life money and last I checked a single month of paying for one of those with actual real life money makes LL's balance sheet a lot shinier than a Premium account payment with real life money.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't care with which quirky and skewed lie fairy tale justification the lab might come up with in order to justify this increase.

For me this is just pure money grabbing, nothing more and nothing less. I am unwilling to buy any L$ at all as long as this ridiculous scheme is in place!

Edited by Bartholomew Gallacher
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I would not hold my breath until they will lower the fees again.

Prices normally go up. Seldom down in the long term.
And inflation is starting to become an issue now the economy is recovering after the corona crisis and the national banks keeping interest rates (to) low.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Why do people seem to forget that LL is in business to make money?  

We don't, we just feel they would be further ahead increasing their revenue through the attraction of new users instead of extracting as much as possible from the dwindling userbase. Fee increases tend to speed that process up leaving them with no net gain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

We don't, we just feel they would be further ahead increasing their revenue through the attraction of new users instead of extracting as much as possible from the dwindling userbase. Fee increases tend to speed that process up leaving them with no net gain.

It's kind of a catch-22 type situation.  Until they can figure out how to attract and retain new users, they have to make their money off of the existing dwindling user base.  So they raise fees, which possibly reduces the user base more, causing a need to increase fees again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Only in the past LL made plenty of money, enough to hire a lot more staff and take on new expensive projects like Sansar.

How much money did they lose on Sansar?  That was a lot of money with no return on investment.   Their expenses also have gone up.  We all want top notch developers working on SL but that money has to come from somewhere to pay people.  

I'm not sure where else any revenue can be generated.  Fees, premium membership increase, larger percentage from MP?  No one is ever happy about paying more but what else in the last 5 years hasn't gone up in price.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

What else is as expensive as SL in terms of dollars per hour of entertainment sat at home on a computer.

Huh? You can spend a lot of money on SL. You can also entertain yourself on it for free. And you can actually make money at it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

How much money did they lose on Sansar?  That was a lot of money with no return on investment.   Their expenses also have gone up.  We all want top notch developers working on SL but that money has to come from somewhere to pay people.  

I'm not sure where else any revenue can be generated.  Fees, premium membership increase, larger percentage from MP?  No one is ever happy about paying more but what else in the last 5 years hasn't gone up in price.

Opensim regions have gone down in price for those who rent them and the code to run the servers is mostly updated by one developer who works for free. Other than the parts of the code meant for extracting money from the residents, there is nothing in S/L that Opensim does not have. It kind of hints what the development money is going towards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Huh? You can spend a lot of money on SL. You can also entertain yourself on it for free. And you can actually make money at it.

Oh I do, but that's not practical for everyone, we're not all here all day making things, and every penny made in SL comes from another user buying money to spend in SL.

Plenty of my friends have eye watering SL budgets.

1 minute ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Oh I do, but that's not practical for everyone, we're not all here all day making things, and every penny made in SL comes from another user buying money to spend in SL.

Plenty of my friends have eye watering SL budgets.

I used to spend more money in SL.  The RL situation has changed so I now spend less.  That may be the case for many people.   

The restaurant my son works at recently raised prices across the board.  Gas prices have gone up around here.  

Everything goes up.  What I do cut back on is luxuries such as eating out or SL.  I no longer rent on a private estate as I've always done.  I couldn't justify the expense.  We stopped getting carry out on Friday which was basically our only other 'entertainment'' expense.

I didn't stop spending in SL because the fees went up.  When things get back to normal in RL for me, I'll probably go back to how it was before.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 988 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.