Buy Fee Change Discussion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 960 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

19 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Sometimes we are a chatty bunch, often "just because".

I don't think 'chatty' is the right word. 'Contrary' is much more accurate, as in, 'Sometimes we are a contrary bunch'.

The author of the original thread changed its title to ask everyone to ignore it and let it die. And yet here we are, 13 years later, and it's still going. That smacks of contrariness to me ;)

• Like 2

People are in general rule benders.
Everywhere. RL, SL, on Mars, you name it.

And I consider that as a good thing. most of the time, when done modestly.
Look around what happens in countries were everything is enforced strictly to go by the book.

Edited by Sid Nagy
As it happens.

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

People are in general rule benders.
Everywhere. RL, SL, on Mars, you name it.

And I consider that as a good thing. most of the time, when done modestly.
Look around what happens in countries were everything is enforced strictly to go by the book.

I was just thinking similar this morning, Sid, but more along the lines of the internet and how people want the internet to be "the wild, wild West" and that "wild, wild West" is especially happening again with cryptocurrencies.  Internet people have always wanted the internet to be "the wild, wild West".  

Edited by FairreLilette

I agree that there always should be limits to the rule bending.
But we do bend. All of us do from time to time.
Even if we say or believe the opposite.

'All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others.' - George Orwell, Animal Farm.
And we all believe to be (and in the western world de facto are) in the more equal group.

4 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

I don't think 'chatty' is the right word. 'Contrary' is much more accurate, as in, 'Sometimes we are a contrary bunch'.

The author of the original thread changed its title to ask everyone to ignore it and let it die. And yet here we are, 13 years later, and it's still going. That smacks of contrariness to me ;)

Chatty / Contrary

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.explicit.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.qUuBFcgRHe5KPTf1DIsz_AHaE7%26pid%3DApi&f=1

🤣😉😏

:SwingingFriends:

• Like 2

Just now, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Getting on topic I was half expecting the mboards to get flooded by those getting caught by surprise by seeing the increased charge and looking for a place to vent....

LL did say that the majority of transactions would not be impacted - that could explain why we've not see lots more threads/posts.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

LL did say that the majority of transactions would not be impacted - that could explain why we've not see lots more threads/posts.

When I still ran my club --- I would've been impacted since the average amount would've got the fee in my case to about $7.

My friend who took over is monitoring though. Her renewal is coming up in a few months and watching if the Lab throws other curve balls.

I've been involved in the video game industry, Network security industry, internet, and (many) other pay for service platforms, I own over 700 games in my Steam account, and have worked on or contributed my expertise to many companies, projects, and endeavors over my 30 years in the industry. I feel with this recent SLIDING SCALE TRANSACTION FEE, a line has definitely been crossed for me. The last few times this fee went up, the answer was "oh just buy more L$, instead of making several small purchases a month, make 1 larger one." I went from buying 5-10k L$ a pop, to buying like 20-30k, and again, the fee goes up for that bracket SUBSTANTIALLY, and the answer is once again..."Oh just buy MORE L$, if you spend over 150$ you won't even see the increase" (which is flawed logic). I usually spend about 200$usd per month in SL. I've seen COUNTLESS games, and services lose their customers from schemes like this, most of them offered a FREE to play model, while they kept raising prices, and putting a higher burden on those giving them income. Stop making it harder, and more expensive to give you my money!! Its greedy and a stupid tactic. LL OWNS the currency, the market, the systems it all runs on, and holds all the cards, while the COMMUNITY creates the content. I have MANY other options for my entertainment value, and almost ALL of those options have NO transaction fees if I want to put my money in, and they are also going through a 3rd party, and having a MAJOR percentage of my purchase being siphoned off. I'm sure if you have 2 companies like Amazon, one charges sales tax, and one doesn't, people would gravitate to the cheaper option to avoid extra cost. I feel like I've been getting MUCH less bang for my buck in SL, with possible market manipulation, keeping the base cost of L$ high, prices for things going up all the time in world, and now this LARGE fee for the privilege of making a purchase on a fully controlled internal system, I feel like I'm being taken advantage of, and LL is going to end up strangling their golden geese to death. I've seen it countless times before, and the companies didn't survive long after. I know I will be 2nd guessing, and griping over this fee EVERY TIME I purchase L$, and that is NOT the feeling you want your customers having. I will be changing my SL purchasing habits substantially, and instead of spending heavily on community created content, I'll just be buying enough L$ to cover my rent, as I already have THOUSANDS of items in my inventory that I bought over a year ago, maybe more, and didn't open yet. Reverse this Sliding Scale fee, or I fear its the beginning of the end for SL for sure...GREED KILLS

Edited by Mariusz Ivanovic
typo correction
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

I have a serious question.. Why does it take longer to buy $L at a higher exchange? Isn't the money already there to be bought? They list how much of each amount. 

It's a kind of auction. Here are some current LindeX data as an example:

1145397397_Screenshot2021-05-03203420.png.a51536690dda04693b795cb0cd33af08.png

If one bids L$240, it closes immediately because there's over L$32 million on offer at that very price. (This would be the hard way to do a "market Buy" order.) To buy at a slightly better rate, getting slightly more L$s, say 248, for each US$ spent, that bid will wait very briefly until the very next market Sell order (unless in the meantime some other more desperate buyer bids 247 or less). Given these data, a L$249 and even a L$250 Buy order might also fill in just a somewhat longer wait, while orders come and go around that level.

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

It's a kind of auction. Here are some current LindeX data as an example:

1145397397_Screenshot2021-05-03203420.png.a51536690dda04693b795cb0cd33af08.png

If one bids L$240, it closes immediately because there's over L$32 million on offer at that very price. (This would be the hard way to do a "market Buy" order.) To buy at a slightly better rate, getting slightly more L$s, say 248, for each US$ spent, that bid will wait very briefly until the very next market Sell order (unless in the meantime some other more desperate buyer bids 247 or less). Given these data, a L$249 and even a L$250 Buy order might also fill in just a somewhat longer wait, while orders come and go around that level.

I usually buy for 248L and it generally fills fairly quick. All that linden tied up at 240 and below just makes me wonder. Are those merchants tying up all that linden? Or just people patient enough to hold out for market buys? Doesn't seem like a bad gig. Considering now since there isn't a huge difference between market and limit buys. (roughly 300-400L per 50usd of lindens.)

11 hours ago, Finite said:

I usually buy for 248L and it generally fills fairly quick. All that linden tied up at 240 and below just makes me wonder. Are those merchants tying up all that linden? Or just people patient enough to hold out for market buys? Doesn't seem like a bad gig. Considering now since there isn't a huge difference between market and limit buys. (roughly 300-400L per 50usd of lindens.)

The vast majority of buying Lindens is by people buying Lindens through the viewer, which is a market buy and will be filled at the best limit sell level.

Limit buys are filled by market sells, which are comparatively uncommon. I suspect that almost all of them are by Linden Lab providing new Lindens to replace those "burned up" by various "sinks" built into the system. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 960 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.