Buy Fee Change Discussion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 959 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

29 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

🤣

Was originally going to 'laugh' at the post, but wanted to ensure you knew I was just laughing at this wonderful tidbit you tossed out.

I'm going to remember that for the next wall of text that someone publishes here.

I was thinking of the old SNL Jeopardy skits from the 90's for that one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mega Larsson said:

On the huge jump in fees...this is just highway robbery.  I know of no financial institution that exploits its customers in such a way.

Do you not pay utility bills?

Do you not pay medical bills?

Do you not pay for gas for a vehicle and car/truck payments?

Do you not have a checking account with a bank?

Do you not have a credit card?

Do you not have a cell phone?

Do you not buy food or products?

Do you not have a Netflix or a Steam account?

Do you not play games/MMOs that offer tokens, DLC, loot boxes, a marketplace and/or account types?

The world and/or life is highway robbery these days. ☹️

Edited by Lucia Nightfire
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mega Larsson said:

On the huge jump in fees...this is just highway robbery.  I know of no financial institution that exploits its customers in such a way.

Financial institutions raise their fees all the time.  

KEY TAKEAWAYS

Bank fees are imposed by financial institutions on their customers for account set-up, maintenance, and minor transactions.

These fees may be charged on a one-time or ongoing basis.

Fees make up a big portion of bank revenue.

Types of bank fees include account maintenance fees, withdrawal and transfer fees, and ATM fees.

5 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Do you not play games/MMOs that offer tokens, DLC, loot boxes, a marketplace and/or account types?

The loot boxes in MMOs are rip-offs like the Gatcha's in SL.

As for SL --- I don't think it's a true bank. But the fee is too high for converting your money into Lindens.

If people keep converting money into L$, the fees ain't too high, I guess.
If the overlords bought LL mainly for Tilia, they better try to make it look good.

If I were at the wheel I would not have taken that decision though.
SL is a hobby. And hobbies cost generally money, but it is no necessity.
So people can walk out if it gets too expensive.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

If people keep converting money into L$, the fees ain't too high, I guess.
If the overlords bought LL mainly for Tilia, they better try to make it look good.

If I were at the wheel I would not have taken that decision though.
SL is a hobby. And hobbies cost generally money, but it is no necessity.
So people can walk out if it gets too expensive.

People have and continue to do so.

Just spent $100 on Lindens. The difference between a limit buy and market buy is only 800L for that amount. Can't say I am too pleased about this as I have just budgeted after doing a spread sheet for my SL spending since the beginning of the year and began saving or getting more value from doing lump limit buys oppose to just buying as I needed. Now I think I'll just go back to spending as I go. 

A message came through today as I was uploading textures.  It basically said that the fee to upload would be less the higher the level of one's subscription.  I believe uploading textures will now be less for Premium and perhaps Premium Plus is coming.  Perhaps this lindens buy fee may also come down the higher the level of one's subscription is.  It may or may not happen with these fees but to upload textures is NOW less depending on one's subscription level.  

Edited by FairreLilette

21 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

A message came through today as I was uploading textures.  It basically said that the fee to upload would be less the higher the level of one's subscription.  I believe uploading textures will now be less for Premium and perhaps Premium Plus is coming.  Perhaps this lindens buy fee may also come down the higher the level of one's subscription is.  It may or may not happen with these fees but to upload textures is NOW less depending on one's subscription level.  

If you are talking about the below message, it has been there for well over a year now - maybe even 2 years.  It showed up shortly after LL started talking about a Premium Plus package - back around the time they did one of the two Premium pre-pay options.  The project got tossed on the back burner quite a while ago though, and I'm not sure if it has been resurrected yet.

image.png.6c019bc92b2ca39297648477f7c9ee6e.png

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

If you are talking about the below message, it has been there for well over a year now - maybe even 2 years.  It showed up shortly after LL started talking about a Premium Plus package - back around the time they did one of the two Premium pre-pay options.  The project got tossed on the back burner quite a while ago though, and I'm not sure if it has been resurrected yet.

image.png.6c019bc92b2ca39297648477f7c9ee6e.png

Yeah that...this is the first time I've seen that.  It never showed up before today.  Hmmmm...?

I'm a very frequent buyer of lindens $350 usd  a month just on my properties and 10x that on shopping I'm ok with a flat rate but to hit me each time $10 over 40 linden transaction is going greatly increase my expenses on a monthly and yearly bases which sucks because after the last update i installed it took away some of my wind lights .. and people are like just add them back.. One * don't remember all and isn't that why we using technology to make things easier.  just seem my favs and that list got real short and my lag is horrible, I have a gaming computer and in the last year have really revamped to specifications for second life. its discouraging to be spending so much and still have hard times here like things still not fully rendering. my buying totals usually run anywhere of $800 to $1200 usd spent here monthly or every other month because I enjoy how I relax here  ..im just really disappointed .. I see no decrease in nothing just increase 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, SaaiYu said:

I'm a very frequent buyer of lindens $350 usd  a month just on my properties and 10x that on shopping I'm ok with a flat rate but to hit me each time $10 over 40 linden transaction is going greatly increase my expenses on a monthly and yearly bases which sucks because after the last update i installed it took away some of my wind lights .. and people are like just add them back.. One * don't remember all and isn't that why we using technology to make things easier.  just seem my favs and that list got real short and my lag is horrible, I have a gaming computer and in the last year have really revamped to specifications for second life. its discouraging to be spending so much and still have hard times here like things still not fully rendering. my buying totals usually run anywhere of $800 to $1200 usd spent here monthly or every other month because I enjoy how I relax here  ..im just really disappointed .. I see no decrease in nothing just increase 

Since you completed duplicated your post into this thread, I guess I can duplicate my response:

If you are spending US $800-1200 per month for L$, then IMO you can afford the fee increase better than many others in SL. 

Change your L$ buys such that you do it all in one transaction instead of multiple transactions.  Your fee will still max out at $9.99, but the percentage will be much smaller overall --- less than 1% for a $1200 buy of L$.

I only popped back on this post as I find it totally insane and short sighted. As a refresher, my gripe about this fee is that at my current buy rate it would yield an add'l $600US per year in fees to me.

Response: Buy more lindens to cut fees. Seriously? wtf! I spend over $150US/wk in tiers alone not to mention items i buy. I am told i can lessen the cost by spending $2400US at a time (roughly quarterly payments) to save on upcharge fees. First off, look at the number! No other game has usage fees that large. And I am not complaining as I have CHOSEN to indulge in this endeavor; but to then add a 7.5% service fee and tout  a $9.99 max is outright arrogant. I am NOT laying out a $2000-$2500/quarterly free loan to Linden so I can save on fees. And those that have suggested this $ outlay, have you actually done the same or just making a suggestion with other peoples money?

I would consider myself a good user of Second Life. I am good to others, spend Lindens to help others create living areas and make new items for others to enjoy. But, I would like a serious response to this from Linden Lab. Oh, and btw, I actually did create a ticket about this exact topic and ended with "btw, I rezzed in today as an orange cloud" (referring to SL issues). The response? Reply to this thread (seriously? I NEVER received a comment or reply from Reed or LL on this topic, ever) and then spent 2 paragraphs on troubleshooting links for rez issues. I only created a ticket to make my complaint heard and I'm told to instead place it in a forum that is never responded to by a member of LL. But the majority is responding to my obvious sarcasm of why spend so much more for something not working.

I have read a few replies (very few) of those leaving SL over these increases. Obviously I am in the minority as those who spend less are happy that SOMEONE else is paying for the improvements. Why should the basic purchaser pay the same but my costs skyrocket??? A user would only buys 2000 Lindens per week only spends $38.74US/year in fees, those who purchase in the 35K Linden range would pay an additional 1548% or $600US. HOW is this fair? 

On 4/27/2021 at 8:48 PM, Rowan Amore said:

Financial institutions raise their fees all the time.  

KEY TAKEAWAYS

Bank fees are imposed by financial institutions on their customers for account set-up, maintenance, and minor transactions.

These fees may be charged on a one-time or ongoing basis.

Fees make up a big portion of bank revenue.

Types of bank fees include account maintenance fees, withdrawal and transfer fees, and ATM fees.

I dont pay any of those fees to my bank? ATM fees? No one wants to touch cash anyways these days...lol. Besides most merchants allow cash back when using a debit card with no fees added. 

I am not at all happy about the increased fee either - really, nobody jumps for joy over any increased fees. 

I can either spend the same amount of L$ as before with the higher fees or adjust my L$ buying and spending habits to at least minimize the impact or leave SL altogether.  At this time I am not willing to leave SL all together.  Thus, I will buy my L$ in some larger batches, while reducing my overall L$ spending.  I'll definitely pay more in fees than I am paying now, but I will simply manage it as best as I can.  

Only time will tell if this move by LL ultimately results in a negative impact to them or not. Probably not, but one can hope that it does and that LL thus reduces the percentage a bit.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

Boy oh boy, how I'd love to be able to afford to do that .....

As I am sure a rather large segment of the user base would as well.

Does it really matter? Question is, do you feel it is fair?

Now the majority of my Linden purchases are for tier to private landowners who must pay LL monthly for that land. So Linden Labs; I pay 38200/week in tier (to a number of parcels and owners) of which the majority goes back to Linden Labs in the monthly tiers my landlords pay to Linden Labs. LL then charges me a fee for the ability to pay my tier. Ever heard of a company store? This is a perfect example :(

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I am not at all happy about the increased fee either - really, nobody jumps for joy over any increased fees. 

I can either spend the same amount of L$ as before with the higher fees or adjust my L$ buying and spending habits to at least minimize the impact or leave SL altogether.  At this time I am not willing to leave SL all together.  Thus, I will buy my L$ in some larger batches, while reducing my overall L$ spending.  I'll definitely pay more in fees than I am paying now, but I will simply manage it as best as I can.  

Only time will tell if this move by LL ultimately results in a negative impact to them or not. Probably not, but one can hope that it does and that LL thus reduces the percentage a bit.

Only reply I can come up with is a bad 80's music video.....

..just sayin.......lol

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Monger Lionheart said:

I dont pay any of those fees to my bank? ATM fees? No one wants to touch cash anyways these days...lol. Besides most merchants allow cash back when using a debit card with no fees added. 

You may not pay those fee yourself but others certainly do.  As it says, they are a large part of a banks revenue.  And it's all relative as to how much is too much.  An added $600/year is only $12.50/week.  Undoable for many but then so is spending 38200L/wk = $170.  Can't say I've ever spent that in one week, ever.

• Like 2

As has been noted within this very thread, some rental agencies actually offer direct payment to them through PayPal. If the one you are going through does not, I suggest you bring it up to them as an option or find one that offers such.

As for your question on the fairness of it? All you need to know concerning my view was summed up in my quoteless response to you a moment ago (in addition to the few other responses I have made throughout this thread).

ETA: To be somewhat clearer and ensure the wrong impression is not given, while I do understand the reaction to the fee change it is the staggering amounts being discussed by some here as their expenditures that has me nonplussed. In some cases that is a good chunk of my RL rent or a segment of my food budget for a given month that some are saying they're spending a week.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 6:26 PM, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Why are so many of you buying $L weekly? Save up and buy once a month. I mean, even before the hike i only bought once a month. 

well i spend about $200US/wk. Do you spend $800US/month? (monthly purchase).

SL is like RL to me. I justify the costs as a substitute for what I would spend going out to the pub in real life (gotta love Covid). 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 959 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.