Market crash (update: LL unchrashed it)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1136 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Their group chat is going at a kabillion miles an hour.. hehehehe

I feel sad for the group moderators and the CSR's. The head is not sooo important for me, but my alts looked forward to try it on. I got it for myself, 0030 AM SL time, I think. It was just luck. Maybe I was one of the last to get it.

I really like my Lelutka head, so maybe this Catwa purchase was for nothing.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Samara Sharkfin said:

Yeah. I was wondering about the scalability too. Maybe it's a tiered thing that need to be announced ahead - who knows.

Scalability has it's limits. I think it is all based on what normal peak traffic is. Then you buy a certain percentage extra of that, in order to scale up if needed. If that number is doubled or tripled or more out of the blue in matter of minutes, it will not hold.
Nobody with business sense would through money at that possibility IMHO.

26 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

What a wasted opportunity, not a single response about headless chickens rushing to the store, or two-headed people suddenly proliferating. Lawd's sake, people have a laugh at it :)

If I had no other involvement in the MP than just an occasional buying spray, I would definitely go for the laugh as well.
But at the moment I'm just to %^&$% because of lost freed time to work on my shop.

Edited by Sid Nagy
little text improvements
  • Like 1

Just now, Marianne Little said:

I feel sad for the group moderators and the CSR's. The head is not sooo important for me, but my alts looked forward to try it on. I got it for myself, 0030 AM SL time, I think. It was just luck. Maybe I was one of the last to get it.

I really like my Lelutka head, so maybe this Catwa purchase was for nothing.

Yea, sales or great deals don't really rev my motor that much anymore..

I'll usually wait until the crowd dies down or just try it out later and if I like it.. Oh well I guess I'm paying more for it.. hehehe

I don't have that, I have to have it ,fever anymore when I shop in SL.. Not like I used to when I was younger..

14 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

A escalabilidade tem seus limites. Acho que tudo se baseia no tráfego de pico normal. Então você compra uma certa porcentagem extra disso, a fim de aumentar a escala, se necessário. Se esse número for dobrado ou triplicado ou mais do nada em questão de minutos, ele não se manterá.
Ninguém com senso de negócios iria com dinheiro nessa possibilidade IMHO.

If it weren't for the damage I would also be laughing

2 hours ago, AWalphaomega said:

The whole point of "uplifting" (lol) to AWS is that it is supposed to scale up on demand.  This is not 33% or any percent the merchant's fault.  Any time someone posts a major price reduction on Amazon.com or ebay it doesn't crash those sites.  This is 100% LL in my opinion.  They take their 10% from us, so they need to take responsibility for maintaining the system.

if it's configured that way, by default scale on demand is not and having it roll an instance up and having an ip and other information for the site,  there are many varibles there.  LL might of never seen this, I've never seen it, so it's not something with the number SL has, to be expect or worried about, and that's from my end.

Out of curiosity, what is the MP Terms and Conditions on having a product listed at a different price on the MP compared to the inworld store? And what is the policy on changes to listing price?

I can't check because the MP is down (duh) but any established merchants here might already know?

It occurs to me that this publicity stunt might already be against the TOS.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Can Catwa access their Marketplace store when no other merchants can't? 🤨

So the head is there, unless LL decides to intervene. I must admit I want popcorn now. 

At the moment not, you are right, but she could have earlier on.  I was able to see the head offering this morning on the MP, so she had chances to correct things if she would have liked to do so.

7 minutes ago, Lewis Luminos said:

ut of curiosity, what is the MP Terms and Conditions on having a product listed at a different price on the MP compared to the inworld store? And what is the policy on changes to listing price?

I remember one Linden writing here on the forum that that is all totally OK.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Lewis Luminos said:

Out of curiosity, what is the MP Terms and Conditions on having a product listed at a different price on the MP compared to the inworld store? And what is the policy on changes to listing price?

I can't check because the MP is down (duh) but any established merchants here might already know?

It occurs to me that this publicity stunt might already be against the TOS.

Certainly able to have differing in-world and MP prices, seeing as a large percent of creators upsell on the MP to counter-act a chunk of the MP fees. Though, is that the same thing? It might be different.

As for the SCALE of the discount/difference, I don't know.

Edited by cariboustag
typos

4 minutes ago, Lewis Luminos said:

Promotions like this from big merchants need to be pre-arranged with Linden Lab before they happen, with payment for a temporary cloud upgrade already in place so that Marketplace capacity can be increased to sufficient levels before the sale begins. You don't want to pay? Fine. You're not allowed to run the promotion at all.

thát should be in the terms of use for MP ... and it isn't. as it also isn't telling you can't do promotions.
LL gets paid for their MP by every item sold .. strange this should be charged seperate ... there are many items for sale for just 1 L$ ...forbid all ? or charge  100 L$ costs for every sale on those.?

• Like 1

Just making a little calculation here.

At this time of day, the transaction rate at MP is about 1 per second.

Let's just wildly assume that the average transaction on MP is 50 L$.

The outage started at 11.43 PM SLT. It is now 6.48 AM SLT.

That's 7 hours, 25,200 seconds, 25.200 transactions.

25,200 x 50 L$ = 1,260,000 L$ (But that's if the average transaction is 50 L$).

At the current exchange rate, that would be 4,876.71 US$.

That's not overly dramatic, given that the loss is spread out over a lot of MP stores. Also, the sales will catch up.

chernobyl-notgreatnotterrible-1024x767.thumb.jpg.8e8a323a6e2f747df98236e94738b3b5.jpg

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 2

now call me crazy, but if someone makes a complex head they can surely distribute a hud through group notices for a "personal inworld vendor no transfer that works until midnight" and avoid all this while keeping transactional records (for redeliveries).

But I guess making a flash sale akin to a DDoS is a way to flex too, I honestly can't say about their reasoning but it also shines a light in how many more visits MP could be getting after  some updating/upgrading.

• Like 1

Just now, Whisperwind Snowpaw said:

now call me crazy, but if someone makes a complex head they can surely distribute a hud through group notices

no, it is a promotion, meaning ; connecting to new potential customers, not just the ones that are already, or at all, in groups that would be reaching them.

4 minutes ago, Whisperwind Snowpaw said:

now call me crazy, but if someone makes a complex head they can surely distribute a hud through group notices for a "personal inworld vendor no transfer that works until midnight" and avoid all this while keeping transactional records (for redeliveries).

I don't think vendors work that way. The "owner" would need to get paid. Since you would be the "owner" of such a hud you'd just be paying yourself and redelivery wouldn't work.

4 minutes ago, Whisperwind Snowpaw said:

But I guess making a flash sale akin to a DDoS is a way to flex too, I honestly can't say about their reasoning but it also shines a light in how many more visits MP could be getting after  some updating/upgrading.

I'd guess this is what happened. The large uptick in requests probably alerted some security measure they have in place for ddos attacks. 

Edited by Finite
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Silent Mistwalker said:

oooo Buy a head for just one L? Oh let me log in!

ROFLMAO

Yeah, no.

This is like watching all those people shopping on Black Friday. They're all insane, imo.

But its the cheapest way to get a head in (second)life.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Finite said:

I don't think vendors work that way. The "owner" would need to get paid. Since you would be the "owner" of such a hud you'd just be paying yourself and redelivery wouldn't work.

I've gotten a few group gifts that came in the form of a delivery hud, where you click on it and it registers with the vendor. There is a gift (from Jinx) at TLC event currently that does that with CasperVend.

• Thanks 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1136 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.