Market crash (update: LL unchrashed it)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1125 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just a heads up, folks, in case you're all wondering.

1. In-world, in some group, someone just reported that a well-knows seller of mesh heads had the brilliant idea to sell one of their mesh heads for 1 L$ on MP today.

2. In other news, I tried to get into MP and I got a warning message stating that MP was down due to heavy user load. Half an hour later, I got  504 Gateway Time-out.

"I'm not saying that the one caused the other..."

a939b00bb692c4f4156c34e2521f1bf5.png.5d6e2d88c3ead2454802b63c92c47ebc.png

"But, yeah, the one definitely caused the other."

So, in case you're wondering why the h*ll you can't get into MP right now: because it's d*mn easy to crash the Market(place) with stunts like these.

[Update]

Joy! MP is back!

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
Update: Three cheers for LL. MP is back online.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Head wars ddos.

This was a bad move on the "not to be named store" that caused this. Never liked them for many reasons but now.......  I'm sure other merchants are not happy either. Not to mention how LL will feel when they wake up to find they made no money all night due to this L$1 ddos.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

It's totally the creators fault. If you've been a merchant for as long as they have, you know what you are doing. You know what will happen. Other similar creators do in store sales like that. We've all seen them. I get wanting to win back some marketshare that you've lost from being over priced for so long but this is the wrong way to go about it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Just now, AyelaNewLife said:

Just getting in early with a 

ITT: People who think it's even remotely plausible to funnel enough people to bring the MP to a halt through inworld regions instead

Gonna just copy paste your own post huh?

But yeah its just nuts how this killed off the MP so quickly. It was funny for a couple minutes but now I'm frustrated lmao

• Like 1

Just now, HanaMaki32 said:

Gonna just copy paste your own post huh?

But yeah its just nuts how this killed off the MP so quickly. It was funny for a couple minutes but now I'm frustrated lmao

Only had enough creativity for one quip today, sorry.

But in all seriousness - the only practical alternative was to not run the giveaway. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Or do the giveaway inworld like the other head creators do. If you are gonna crash something, better to crash your own store instead of everyone else's store on the mp. I get you can still shop inworld, but lots of store rely on both sales, mp and inworld. I think it was inconsiderate. Just my opinion though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The whole point of "uplifting" (lol) to AWS is that it is supposed to scale up on demand.  This is not 33% or any percent the merchant's fault.  Any time someone posts a major price reduction on Amazon.com or ebay it doesn't crash those sites.  This is 100% LL in my opinion.  They take their 10% from us, so they need to take responsibility for maintaining the system.

Edited by AWalphaomega
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I would suggest, and I could be wrong, but LL just ain't no Amazon. And how  many issues have we all had with uplift?  Tons. It's been one issue after the other. Which is fine. To some degree you have to expect that with anything new when it comes to technology. But to compare LL to Amazon is not realistic. And who knows, maybe LL did scale up and even that wasn't enough to handle this irresponsible act of marketing. Guess we'll never know.

I don't even want the stupid head. I just want to login and do some other shopping. And they claim their innocence in "Not knowing that this would happen." to which I call BS. I'm sorry, but anyone who's dealt with server/site overloads before would know that this crap would go down. They can play dumb all they like, but I don't think they're being truthful about not knowing this would happen. Accept responsibility. They're all calling anyone who's angry (Like myself) about not being able to even login to MP haters, whiners, and complainers. How professional of them. 

Edited by Sapphire Starlight
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The message is:

This website is under heavy load

We're sorry, too many people are accessing this website at the same time. We're working on this problem. Please try again later.

I wonder how many potential customers are in SL. And since they are scattered over the world I don't expect that they try all at the same time. Not much capacity for a service running on AWS cloud. They are not prepared and have a heavy bottleneck somewhere. This here is a storm inside a glass of water compared to other internet services.

Interesting that MP is running that low.

2 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

If she makes any further move to try to disturb things, LL should ban her and close her MP shop

I fully agree with you.  It was absolutely foreseeable that this will go wrong.
I would like to know if LL was maybe aware of this. If they were maybe informed ahead?

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1125 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.