What if your life was at stake?

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1181 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Would you continue logging into SL if your real life was tied to Second Life in a way that if your avatar was killed you would be also die in the real world? I don’t want to get into a discussion of how it could be done. Just interested if a high stakes game where you put your life on the line would appeal to anyone. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Would you continue logging into SL if your real life was tied to Second Life in a way that if your avatar was killed you would be also die in the real world? I don’t want to get into a discussion of how it could be done. Just interested if a high stakes game where you put your life on the line would appeal to anyone. 

No.

Are you freakin' NUTS?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

The solution to this one is too easy.  I can't imagine very many people at all logging in to SL if there was even a slight chance that they could be harmed physically by being in world.  The number of people who would log in if there were a chance of being killed would be vanishingly close to zero.   As Scylla says, "Are you freakin' NUTS?"

It might be interesting though, to rephrase the question: Suppose that you could be harmed personally (or killed) if your avatar was harmed in world whether you were logged in or not. Would you log in to protect your avatar? How?  This could make an interesting plot for a fantasy/mystery novel..........

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

There were some good movies about that! And yes, sci-fi / cyberpunk stories. I think some people would do it for the danger, the rush. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bree Giffen said:

No. SL would be a lot more dangerous than the most dangerous place one can possibly imagine in RL, and I am not a danger freak at all.

• Sad 1

*If that were the case, I can see a world where I thought it was worth it to pay an annual subscription fee to SL to ~not~ play.  :)   

But this is thinking outside the box, and other great ideas can grow from this idea, and mighty oaks from little acorns grow I say.  Who knows what the next big thang will be, and who will decide it is a plus for them to play that way...

Edited by Kyrie Deka
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Hell no.

I'm going to outlive all of you, after I've taken over the world, just out of spite! 👼

3 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

The solution to this one is too easy.  I can't imagine very many people at all logging in to SL if there was even a slight chance that they could be harmed physically by being in world.  The number of people who would log in if there were a chance of being killed would be vanishingly close to zero.   As Scylla says, "Are you freakin' NUTS?"

It might be interesting though, to rephrase the question: Suppose that you could be harmed personally (or killed) if your avatar was harmed in world whether you were logged in or not. Would you log in to protect your avatar? How?  This could make an interesting plot for a fantasy/mystery novel..........

And we thought Bree was nutz! That plot has been done to death already! 🤭

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

This question makes me think of the William Gibson works. 

Just to put the original question into perspective. If you thought there was a chance that when you got into a car, train or plane, you could be killed, would you still continue to travel?

Final Destination?

3 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

This question makes me think of the William Gibson works. 

Just to put the original question into perspective. If you thought there was a chance that when you got into a car, train or plane, you could be killed, would you still continue to travel?

But there is always that chance, right?

4 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

I gotta question whether avatars can be killed. I've "fallen to my death" countless times here. I crawl up out of the ground and dust myself off each and every time. If that's the kind of "death" I'd suffer in RL as well, I'd absolutely log in, while "falling to my death" there.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I gotta question whether avatars can be killed. I've "fallen to my death" countless times here. I crawl up out of the ground and dust myself off each and every time. If that's the kind of "death" I'd suffer in RL as well, I'd absolutely log in, while "falling to my death" there.

You mean something like this, Maddy?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Has a definite Wyle E. Coyote vibe to it.

R90b1a46d5f1383efd6e038c790bd0592.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Hmmm, tough call for me.

My life is both literally and figuratively at stake (heh, I typed steak, I think I'm hungry) every day when I wake up, in rl. I still prefer to do so, even knowing the risks, though I do try to limit them beyond that point, if only to lower the probability that the dastardly evil doers of the world, in whatever form they possess, don't get the, I presume, charmed pleasure of ending my very existence. 

If sl were somehow also involved in the master plan to off me, as rl so very much is, I would probably learn how to do a LOT of things way better. Things like driving, parachuting, golfing, hell, even walking. I'd probably stop playing with dragons so much, throwing myself off high objects just to watch me splat, walking into walls just because I'm too discombobulated to walk around them right the first time, using ANY spiral staircases or bridges for that matter, throwing things up in the air and watching them land, swimming in unchartered, probably even chartered, waters...oh so many things. I have developed this amazing skill for being able to do just about everything wrong in sl, most of which would likely lead to my demise if it were possible. 

Now is this a "if you get hurt in sl, you get hurt in rl too" scenario, or merely "if you die in sl, you die in rl" scenario. That might change my answer a bit. A few bumps and bruises might not kill me, after all. 

• Like 1

I'm trying to understand that problem set up here.

If my avatar being killed could kill my RL self, shouldn't I then in fact log on to try to protect my avatar, perhaps hide him somehow, get a bunker, some weapons, I don't know, try to figure out who wants to kill me, start some peace talks? 

Or are you saying that IF there was this correlation, then I shouldn't even make an avatar because it would be killed and that could kill the real me.

But since I already have an avatar, does not logging on prevent me from getting killed? If so, then obviously I wouldn't log on.

Or are you saying that people are so addicted to SL that *even knowing* that they'd die, they'd log on? Or they'd not believe it, and log on and find out the hard way?

I think you'd get a certain amount of people still logging on. I think the rest of us might be calling our congress people asking them to stop the killing of avatars.

But it's like climate change. People still let the water run when they brush their teeth, or they turn up the heater instead of putting on a sweater, though there are fires and drought and people are killed.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

But there is always that chance, right?

Yes, and still we persist. So if SL had a similar faint but possible risk of dying, why would we think it worse than RL? 

57 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

If my avatar being killed could kill my RL self, shouldn't I then in fact log on to try to protect my avatar, perhaps hide him somehow, get a bunker, some weapons, I don't know, try to figure out who wants to kill me, start some peace talks? 

Yes, exactly. It's about risk-assessment and risk-reduction.

19 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

Yes, and still we persist. So if SL had a similar faint but possible risk of dying, why would we think it worse than RL? 

Transportation is generally a necessity for most people.  I take a risk of death every time I drive to the grocery store because it's something I have to do.  Logging in to SL with a risk of death?  Not a risk I, personally, would take but I'm sure many people would.

Edited by RowanMinx
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1181 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.