Respect for private property and privacy.

Miller Thor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1228 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Blush Bravin said:

And you're usually such a nice guy. Why insult me for bringing up how ban lines are an eyesore in an otherwise lovely build?

Yes they don't look nice but there's always the option to make a toggle button in Quick Preferences to make them disappear from your view without losing their functionality and everyone is happy.. (Debug Setting> ShowBanLines > False)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blush Bravin said:
18 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Eeyore suits you!

And you're usually such a nice guy. Why insult me for bringing up how ban lines are an eyesore in an otherwise lovely build?

Ugh, I see it now. Your reader saw "Eeyore" and read it as "Eyesore".  Time for an upgrade, Blush! Unless you were kidding..I never used the word "Eyesore".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:
2 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

Think that was me..

Correct. I replied to the wrong person with the exact wrong thing. I like your Eeyore!

32 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Ugh, I see it now. Your reader saw "Eeyore" and read it as "Eyesore".  Time for an upgrade, Blush! Unless you were kidding..I never used the word "Eyesore".

6 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

Think that was me..

No harm done. Let's just chalk it up to miscommunication and my being a bit too sensitive.

• Thanks 1

Totally turned off by the name calling by the OP. What's "normal" and "manners" vary between people and cultures. Also, some don't know to approach sl the same as rl. When I first joined, I didn't even know there were private homes. I found myself in quite a few because they were so pretty and I wanted to take pictures. Glad I was never berated for being a moron. When I got booted by security orbs, then I realized not all areas are for free roaming. It takes some time for people to learn the sl culture. Plus, the only rules people need to respect are the TOS. LL provides enough tools for us to navigate with. If you don't want to use them, then it's on you. Wandering into a private area in an online virtual world does NOT make anyone a bad person.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Nick0678 said:

Yes they don't look nice but there's always the option to make a toggle button in Quick Preferences to make them disappear from your view without losing their functionality and everyone is happy.. (Debug Setting> ShowBanLines > False)

I think that most people don't mess with debug settings at all.  In Firestorm, it is even easier, but I still think a lot of folks don't disable seeing them.  Some intentionally keep them on so that they can see them when flying around.  

While you can turn them off for yourself, if you are building for the public, you need to take the public's view in to consideration.If you use ban lines, there will still be visitors that will see them - and, in many people's opinion, they are a horrible eyesore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AdminGirl said:

When I first joined, I didn't even know there were private homes. I found myself in quite a few because they were so pretty and I wanted to take pictures. Glad I was never berated for being a moron. When I got booted by security orbs, then I realized not all areas are for free roaming.

This ^^.

All of the places that I found in my first few days of exploring were public builds, with many 'homes' included.  So the first time I encountered a 'private' residence and got booted, I was quite surprised.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, AdminGirl said:

Totally turned off by the name calling by the OP. What's "normal" and "manners" vary between people and cultures. Also, some don't know to approach sl the same as rl. When I first joined, I didn't even know there were private homes. I found myself in quite a few because they were so pretty and I wanted to take pictures. Glad I was never berated for being a moron. When I got booted by security orbs, then I realized not all areas are for free roaming. It takes some time for people to learn the sl culture. Plus, the only rules people need to respect are the TOS. LL provides enough tools for us to navigate with. If you don't want to use them, then it's on you. Wandering into a private area in an online virtual world does NOT make anyone a bad person.

I agree, new people exploring shouldn't be called "morons".  I walked into private homes when new as well and wouldn't want that label applied to me.

What about the griefers though?  I think it's these people the OP is mostly referring to -- people who just enjoy bothering others. I encountered a lot of these types of people when I had my park/rental area.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

For me, it's all about personal space.  We basically have no privacy here even if you do have security and don't let people see onto your parcel.  My home is mine and having that small right to have no one else enter isn't asking too much.  I feel the same way about my avatars personal space.  I hate when people, usually without asking, walk right up and stand inches from me.  I don't know why it bothers me but it does.  I'd never do that to someone I don't know in RL so I'd like the same consideration here.  Normally, instead of saying anything, I'll just back up and let them wonder why.

This is my personal space, that is your personal space
Mine overlaps yours here, yours overlaps mine there
This can be a good thing, that can be a bad thing...

There's a difference between accidentally crossing into personal space and intentionally invading it.

My home is also my personal space. RL or SL. Don't invade my personal space and I won't invade yours. 🤭

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I agree, new people exploring shouldn't be called "morons".  I walked into private homes when new as well and wouldn't want that label applied to me.

What about the griefers though?  I think it's these people the OP is mostly referring to -- people who just enjoy bothering others. I encountered a lot of these types of people when I had my park/rental area.

True, griefers are a different story but enough to fill 500 slots in your ban list? Really?? He also referred to people just entering and not respecting the holy fence.

Griefing is against TOS and there are things that can be done about that. Reluctance to use those options because he wants to keep up the ambience, and instead just blames anyone who enters is a stretch on his part.

I'm all for privacy. Just not for the name calling since he's making huge assumptions about anyone who enters his private plot.

Edited by AdminGirl
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This ^^.

All of the places that I found in my first few days of exploring were public builds, with many 'homes' included.  So the first time I encountered a 'private' residence and got booted, I was quite surprised.

When I first joined I didn't dare go into houses. I mean, I don't just walk into other people's houses in real life so I didn't do it in SL either.

If no one is home I may cam in looking for inspiration but my avatar does not enter. If someone is home I move on without peeping. I may come back another day, if I remember.

1 minute ago, AdminGirl said:
27 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Expand  

True, griefers are different, but enough to fill 500 slots in your ban list? Really?? He also referred to people just entering and not respecting the holy fence.

lol...."the holy fence"   :)

Oh for sure...he's got some work to do so others will know the spaces are private.  I just sympathize with his desire to make his area realistic and/or keep to a theme -- it's the artists vision.  What I  personally had to learn though, was that in SL other people were living in my art and so I needed to make concessions for them -- it was not an easy lesson believe me.

Creators of themed areas have needs, renters have needs, and explorers have needs. It's never easy to sort all this out, and all will need to make compromises.

I just don't want to see all the blame placed on the OP... even if he did, out of frustration, call some people morons.

• Like 1

I remember when I was brand new and going into places and not realizing someone actually owned them.. Especially if the sim was inviting people to come check them out..

Click on a door because you seen the mouse crusor change into a hand..

Hey the door opened up!!  There must be stuffs to do in there.. C'mon gang,lets go check it out!! \o/

hehehe

I've had people stop at my place, even when I was in the middle of changing clothes and bare to the bone neked as a jay bird..

Most have been really nice so far..

I understand that some people want to keep their places to themselves.. But can't agree with calling what is more than likely just new people to SL, morons and idiots..

I doubt anyone has jumped right into SL and took to swimming like they were going for the gold.

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

But can't agree with calling what is more than likely just new people to SL, morons and idiots..

Agree, I don't believe that new people who don't understand the rules of SL should be called "morons".

But I've heard a lot of people through the years, some even on this forum, and especially in the Bellisseria threads, complain of numerous people invading their space and bothering them on purpose.

Because of the above, and experiences in my own park/rentals, I don't believe it's "more than likely just new people to SL".

19 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I remember when I was brand new and going into places and not realizing someone actually owned them.. Especially if the sim was inviting people to come check them out..

Click on a door because you seen the mouse crusor change into a hand..

Hey the door opened up!!  There must be stuffs to do in there.. C'mon gang,lets go check it out!!

This is why I went into so many places when I first go to SL.  Many places were inviting people in and, from various games I had played in the past - as someone else mentioned - the whole goal was to explore everything, go in everyplace, and touch everything (think Myst). 

Anyone used to playing those games before SL has to learn that SL is a totally different realm.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I think that most people don't mess with debug settings at all.  In Firestorm, it is even easier, but I still think a lot of folks don't disable seeing them. 

Yes most don't and usually that is either because of fear or just don't know that such features are available. Still the ability to derender banlines is just a click away and i am sure that if  people are able to learn all those Mesh Body Hud's and especially Mesh Head Hud's (those really are a puzzle), they can also learn a few things on how to use their client more eficiently and make Second Life look much better for them with some help from more experienced/older users.

(Personally i keep banlines visibility enabled since they never bothered me and only when i want to take photos or videos i turn them off. To be honest rarely something in SL bothers me because one way or another everything can be derendered,  it's not like Real Life where you have to tolerate it.)

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

While you can turn them off for yourself, if you are building for the public, you need to take the public's view in to consideration.If you use ban lines, there will still be visitors that will see them - and, in many people's opinion, they are a horrible eyesore.

Yes already told the OP in the beginning of this thread to use security orb's since he is having a mixed public/residential region, there are so many options on how to keep intruders out that banlines are not necessary, i am sure he and his tech team will find a solution that fits their region.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Some intentionally keep them on so that they can see them when flying. 

Not just flying, I have been sent home after driving into them, being able to see them helps, at least I know why I got sent home. My driving abilities are not very good, and sometimes I hit them even when I can see them.

• Like 3

I have public areas and rental homes and I have had similar problems.  I hate security orbs and ban lines.  One thing that seems to help is to set the land to only allow people over 18 and who have payment information on file.  It seems that a great many of the trouble makers do not meet these two requirements.  I finally gave in and started subdividing parcels around the rental homes and setting them to group only.  

• Like 1

When I had land a few months back it was in a big commercial area and we had people coming into the castle I had at the time and my friends were in their rooms just hanging out with their friends and stuff we got a security orb and banned accounts over a certain age and set it to payment info on file and only members of a group could come in when we were all offline. When we were on lock down we spent most of the time with the castle open to all but when I was offline I turned it off to members of a group only. 

Right now we have a low commercial land with like 3 other plots of residential parcels 2 of them are barred off for privacy by the owners but mine is secured with the open of payment info and 18+ only and the account age being 30 days only. We do get visitors from BL players because of the haunts on our land which is better because most of those people have payment info and are 18+ over 30 days old. I guess having the orb and certain measures with ban line works well for private areas.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1228 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.