Respect for private property and privacy.

Miller Thor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1221 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:
1 hour ago, Blush Bravin said:

The problem with making it group only is it destroys the ambiance of the build with ban lines clearly visible. For someone who clearly wants to maintain the beauty of the surroundings setting to group only is a poor solution. Using an orb is a much better option.

True, I never think of that as I always have those shut off.  So I'll go back to separate parcels with an orb.

Eeyore suits you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I must admit that as a gamer it is ingrained in my behavior to enter houses and take things. It’s just a basic gameplay mechanic dating back to when everything was only text based. Enter room. You see a drawer. Open drawer. There is a key and five dollars. Take key and dollars.

I can't help it. It’s in my nature.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Cinos Field said:

Not to be a contrarian, but if you have over 500 people who waltz into your SL home, I'm thinking it's not clearly designated as private. Over some 14 years of owning a virtual home I've had maybe a handful of surprise visitors. :P

There is always the option of just restricting access if it's that important and you find no other way of making it obvious.

I agree.... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Miller Thor said:

How clearly do you actually have to mark private property than with a garden fence all around, a post box on the door and everything else that makes a private property recognizable even for the blindest hen? Almost every day idiots manage to make themselves unpopular with us by breaking into private houses that are more than clearly recognizable as such. Just as numerous morons manage to make themselves unpopular by messing with other people's vehicles for them and trying to use them without permission. The icing on the cake are those weak mates who break into houses where the owners are in them and say "Hello, there I am". Unfortunately, the banned list only has 500 entries free to shut out such idiots. With the best of intentions, Second Life does not mean losing respect for private property. In my opinion, respect for private property and the right to privacy should be very much incorporated into the Community Standards and TOS of Linden Labs and specially emphasized.

I just can not read this.. good luck.

• Like 3

I see no indication that the OP really wants to change or fix things. Not on his end. He just wants to rant, tell the world "NO! All of YOU are wrong!" while trying to sweetly explain how wonderful his build is. Meh.

"I haz a problem..."

"Here's how you can fix it (37 ways)..."

"No. I haz a problem..."

"See above..."

"No. I haz a problem..."

See recent peeve post about after a while the care and consideration level plummets.

"You're right. You haz a problem. It just isn't the one you think you have."

Edited by Gatogateau
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Miller Thor said:

Thank you for all the suggestions that we will reconsider in the coming days and weeks, away from the skyboxes. What we will implement more quickly is the idea of warning. However, also back in our way by placing a watchdog instead of a prim or similar, which then strikes when someone has dared to cross the fence. We just take great care that everything we put up fits into the overall picture of the region and it will be difficult to use some standard SL products. This will probably mean that our construction team has to come back into play so that nothing disturbs the ambience. We just want to create a compromise for our tenants as well as for all the nice guests without destroying the townscape, and that would already cause ban fences.

That sounds like a good plan -- brainstorming with your construction team to come up with something that minimizes disturbing the realistic ambience you've so painstakingly created.  

I imagine some homes in Austria have security systems, so that wouldn't break the realistic theme you have going. But teleportation away from the home is another matter!   Too bad you can't have an Austrian cop (bot) appear if there is a breach to the house, and then the criminal is teleported to a jail in the town...lol (in a way that makes it appear like the cop took them).  But then....I fear this would be so much fun you'd increase your 'break-ins' by 300%     :)

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 2

Personally, I don't get it. What is the issue with people entering houses in SL. In RL I don't want people coming in my house because they might get things dirty, break things, or even steal my stuff, beside the sanitary health issues that arise. Beside in RL, my house often isn't ready for company. Not one of these things is an issue in SL. I don't have my own house in SL right now, but when I have I have always been happy to have strangers stop by to see it. 

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

Personally, I don't get it. What is the issue with people entering houses in SL. In RL I don't want people coming in my house because they might get things dirty, break things, or even steal my stuff, beside the sanitary health issues that arise. Beside in RL, my house often isn't ready for company. Not one of these things is an issue in SL. I don't have my own house in SL right now, but when I have I have always been happy to have strangers stop by to see it. 

For me, it's all about personal space.  We basically have no privacy here even if you do have security and don't let people see onto your parcel.  My home is mine and having that small right to have no one else enter isn't asking too much.  I feel the same way about my avatars personal space.  I hate when people, usually without asking, walk right up and stand inches from me.  I don't know why it bothers me but it does.  I'd never do that to someone I don't know in RL so I'd like the same consideration here.  Normally, instead of saying anything, I'll just back up and let them wonder why.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Talligurl said:

Half the fun of decorating is showing people!!!

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

For me, it's all about personal space.  We basically have no privacy here even if you do have security and don't let people see onto your parcel.  My home is mine and having that small right to have no one else enter isn't asking too much.  I feel the same way about my avatars personal space.  I hate when people, usually without asking, walk right up and stand inches from me.  I don't know why it bothers me but it does.  I'd never do that to someone I don't know in RL so I'd like the same consideration here.  Normally, instead of saying anything, I'll just back up and let them wonder why.

Yep, same here. I don't want to log at my home to see someone I don't know using my furniture, I don't want to log to see some weird avatars around my place either. Yeah, sure, it takes only a few seconds to eject them if needed, but I have no desire to do that at any time. So when I rented smaller parcels I always had an orb up with 20s warning and banlines on top of that, which is plenty to teleport away (all my parcels were on islands behind a wall, so no, no one could just wander/drive/fly in randomly). After I upgraded to a homestead and later bought a full region I just turned off access completely and add people manually if needed. As a small bonus it does help to get rid of those pesky survey/land/random bots teleporting in and out all the time.

But I suppose people are different, as seen in some messages above. I do all decorating and building stuff for myself, because I enjoy it, and I can't say that "showing off" be it home, avatar or anything else is something I care about.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, steeljane42 said:

Yep, same here. I don't want to log at my home to see someone I don't know using my furniture, I don't want to log to see some weird avatars around my place either. Yeah, sure, it takes only a few seconds to eject them if needed, but I have no desire to do that at any time. So when I rented smaller parcels I always had an orb up with 20s warning and banlines on top of that, which is plenty to teleport away (all my parcels were on islands behind a wall, so no, no one could just wander/drive/fly in randomly). After I upgraded to a homestead and later bought a full region I just turned off access completely and add people manually if needed. As a small bonus it does help to get rid of those pesky survey/land/random bots teleporting in and out all the time.

But I suppose people are different, as seen in some messages above. I do all decorating and building stuff for myself, because I enjoy it, and I can't say that "showing off" be it home, avatar or anything else is something I care about.

In my opinion, there's no right or wrong in this. It's whatever is right for us.

when have a mix of private homes and public spaces, and where

- the public spaces are invitational to all, advertised as being for the public

- and there is a hope that people will come and visit

- and a further hope that visitors might rent a home and live on the region

then my advice to everyone in this situation is:

- section the private homes onto their own parcels

- do not allow private home owners to use a security orb at ground level. Skybox above 2000m sure, ground level no. Killing visitors to the region at ground level is pretty much the worst thing that can be done to mark a place as unfriendly. (particularly new people who have no concept of privacy in a video game until they do get killed)

- tenants must use the Parcel controls if they want privacy at ground level. The reason is that Parcel controls are preemptive, they block and don't kill

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

-the public spaces are invitational to all, advertised as being for the public

- and there is a hope that people will come and visit

- and a further hope that visitors might rent a home and live on the region

then my advice to everyone in this situation is:

- section the private homes onto their own parcels

so I have recently encountered something on a sim similar to what the OP is describing .... 

Public sim with private rentals that seem to be an integral part of the sim.  There was a notice to respect the privacy of the rentals, fair enough.  Except the rentals were not secure, or certainly didn't seem to be.   One had a locked door, others did not .. I found one that was completely accessible & had no furniture so I went in to have a look.  I was actually thinking I may rent there because it was such a well built sim .. next I know I was bounced out & banned & got a rude message from the sim owner/manager that I was not respecting the private rentals !  ummm.. the house was fully accessible & unfurnished & I was thinking of renting .. so yeah, wtf ?   lol   .. so uptight !  Imagine the horror ?  Standing in an empty house built of pixels, none of which could be stolen !   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’m late to the fiesta, but I too, would advise  a bot that gives warning on-landing at a designated tp routing point that warns of private rentals with CLEAR signs. There are several blogger/landscaped regions these days with homes that are set up to go inside and wander, complete with the picket fence. I would probably go inside to look and appreciate the interior decorating myself, if I didn’t get a warning. It seems rude to do otherwise when you assume that hours were taken on the entire region to be appreciated, and yet you let a fence stop you from appreciating it. 

I’ve gotten quite good at jumping now. 

• Like 2

I think the key thing with running regions like this is to provide a brief description of the region including expectations of privacy in homes marked private at the landing point where people arrive. Describe how people can tell which ones are homes and which aren't... do the rentals have rent boxes outside for example to indicate they are private, maybe explain there will be signs marked "Kein Einlass".

Without clearly setting out expectations and signage, the people transgressing are likely to be doing so innocently, rather than intentionally. 

• Like 2

An orb with 30 seconds ejection >advice< and a kind message instead of "instant kaputski" "cough - I h8 your guts" would befit the beauty of the build and that of genteel owners.
If i received  a message like that I would think: "oh gee I'm so sorry - these must be nice peeps, so of course, I'll leave".

Edited by Maryanne Solo
Changed Sim to build.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Maryanne Solo said:

kind message

𝕬𝖈𝖍𝖙𝖚𝖓𝖌! 𝕬𝖚𝖘𝖜𝖊𝖎𝖘𝖚𝖓𝖌! 𝕽𝖆𝖚𝖘! 𝕽𝖆𝖚𝖘! 𝕽𝖆𝖚𝖘!

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

I think the key thing with running regions like this is to provide a brief description of the region including expectations of privacy in homes marked private at the landing point where people arrive. Describe how people can tell which ones are homes and which aren't... do the rentals have rent boxes outside for example to indicate they are private, maybe explain there will be signs marked "Kein Einlass".

Without clearly setting out expectations and signage, the people transgressing are likely to be doing so innocently, rather than intentionally. 

I live on an estate like this, a 12 region palace with mostly public builds and beautiful grounds to explore. The residential areas are parceled, and they do have clearly visible polite signage but we do also have both lockable doors and security orbs that we can configure for ourselves too. I’m always surprised how many people do actually try to walk in, or will even use the sit-in trick to bypass the locks. I’m not bent about someone camming in because they can’t see avatars but once they actually cross the parcel boundary with their avatar, we are visible to each other so I do keep the security orb on and I usually use the ‘kick immediately’ option in the drop-down if I’m home and getting dressed. Otherwise they are warned politely and booted in 30 seconds.

21 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Eeyore suits you!

And you're usually such a nice guy. Why insult me for bringing up how ban lines are an eyesore in an otherwise lovely build?

Update:

Love and I sorted this out .. total misunderstanding. He is the nice guy I thought.

Edited by Blush Bravin
updated response
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:
16 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Eeyore suits you!

And you're usually such a nice guy. Why insult me for bringing up how ban lines are an eyesore in an otherwise lovely build?

"Eeyore" is not an insult, he represents a silent majority type. Depressed but loved by his friends anyway. How dare you think that!

*Edit* Someone had Eeyore for their profile picture. In case you missed that.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1221 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.