Should LL send out “we miss you” messages?

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1341 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I occasionally get messages from games and online stores that say something along the line of, “We haven’t seen you in a while. Come on back and get 10% off”. Just wondering if you think this is a good idea for LL to bring back people to SL. Maybe send an email to people who have been away for a month and tell them about stuff happening. Has LL has done this before? I haven’t noticed any such messages on some of my unused alts. 🤔

• Like 1

We missing you so much, please come back soon.

When you are not with us, our world basically stands still.

Come back soon. We miss you, oh how much we miss our precious girl.

This is the tenth week away, our only wish is that you will come and log in.

Yours,

Second Life

(DISCLAIMER: Do NOT send this to your girlfriend, wife, ex. )

• Haha 6

I dont see this ever happening. its just not realistic. there are literally thousands of accounts that have not been touched in years if not a decade  or longer that they would have to decide which ones to send to or mass email all of them.

what I do think should happen to make a more clear number of actual active accounts its put a moratorium on the age of un used accounts. that if an account goes unused in say 2-3 years its suspended and removed from all lists and groups.. at 5 years the now defunct account is disposed of.. deleted..erased from the database. if someone comes back.. after that long they need to start over.

maybe people would care more about keeping their account active more often.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

here are literally thousands of accounts

Just my free to join group has more than 1000 who haven't logged in from 2015 to 2019 and i used to delete most until i got bored.

We are talking about millions of users actually who are long gone and forgotten plus their alts and bots.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nick0678 said:

Just my free to join group has more than 1000 who haven't logged in from 2015 to 2019 and i used to delete most until i got bored.

We are talking about millions of users actually who are long gone and forgotten plus their alts and bots.

oh i know.. i was just lowballing the number.

• Like 1

It would be a great idea if they were to send out e-mails to older accounts, letting them know of new features on the grid or even just wishing them a Happy Birthday since after all, it is usually much cheaper to resell a product or service to a past client than a new one.

Edited by Arielle Popstar
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

that if an account goes unused in say 2-3 years its suspended and removed from all lists and groups.. at 5 years the now defunct account is disposed of.. deleted..erased from the database. if someone comes back.. after that long they need to start over.

2-3 years is much too short. Imvu has tried doing that in past and then making people jump through hoops to get the accounts reinstated. Its a fast way of losing customers who were awol for  several years pursuing other interests for a time.

1 hour ago, Nick0678 said:

and who knows how many abandoned alts of active players. I have a few I created for a purpose then forgot the log in info.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

haven’t seen you in a while. Come on back and get 10% off”.

Realizing you were just making a point of course Bree, and it's a good question really. But your example lead me to ask myself 10% off what?  The premium fees?  Folks who walk away get a gift savings as a reward, while long timers build public places inworld for all to use and enjoy, etc. with no discount and all the costs?  I recall a cable company from years past that quietly inched up monthly subscription fees on their long timer's bills, while they offered new subscribers (only) very deep and long term discounts as the long timers watched.  I also recall I couldn't wait to see the dust behind me as I disconnected them for good, and coffee break discussion said I wasn't alone in that sentiment. 

And I get emails all the time to "come back" to this site or that.  The emails I don't mind, actually they are just busines.  But speaking for myself, the last place I will click-through for my entertainment time, is to a site that nags me to death via email that my schedule isn't meeting their business needs.  

Guessing, perhaps wrong, but it would seem to me to repair the current premium benefits advertised first for current paying members might be a better short-term investment.  Perhaps if coffee break discussion began to speak of reliable benefits and reasonable respectful support response after buying-in, there would be fewer residents fading away.  

The point was that for a period of time these people did not wish to think of S/L as they had/have other priorities. Some people's do have a real life. I've known people who have left S/L for a period of time to focus on college or university, family, a new job and did not wish to have their time shared between that and S/L. S/L was if anything, too important and they therefore chose to put virtual aside for a period of time.

1 hour ago, Nick0678 said:

We missing you so much, please come back soon.

When you are not with us, our world basically stands still.

Come back soon. We miss you, oh how much we miss our precious girl.

This is the tenth week away, our only wish is that you will come and log in.

Yours,

Second Life

(DISCLAIMER: Do NOT send this to your girlfriend, wife, ex. )

I wouldn't recommend leaving a similar message on an ex's voicemail either. Drunk or sober.

Edited by PermaRuthed
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Okay, no constant nagging to come back and no crazy discounts that are unfair to existing residents. I was thinking the account would have to be away for a few years before any message is sent out. Preferably just once a year. LL could point out that there are last names or that avatars and clothing are available in mesh. Think of the best way that LL could promote itself to retired residents and that's what I'm thinking. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, animats said:

Sending an email to people who have items for sale on Marketplace and haven't logged in for a year would be appropriate. I gather there's some effort to clean out Marketplace. Move dead stores to Marketplace Archive or something.

That would be financially bad though. You do realize that the money from those sales actually go back to Linden Labs same as the money from accounts that belong to people who for some reason are no longer alive. May not be a great profit but still money in the pocket are money in the pocket. Same thing happens with paypal, skrill and other financial services. (unless claimed of course with legal methods)

8 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

there are literally thousands of accounts

make that many millions,  it was quite a few years ago they already hit the 1.000.000 registered accounts (2007) ..with the absurd high, but never logging, sign ups every day it must hit the ceiling by now.
https://www.cnet.com/news/counting-the-real-second-life-population/

Edited by Alwin Alcott

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1341 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.