Genus Heads.

Bagnu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1328 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 hours ago, Bagnu said:

I;m happy with my Lelutka, but would till like to try Genus sometime. It would have to a be a test alt for me though. I'm not taking risks with my head!!!

Trying another head would not damage the one you have now. Just take off the LeLutka head and add the Genus one. Then when you're bored of playing with the Genus head, take it off and put the Lelutka head back on.

One thing you must remember though, is to make a copy of your SHAPE. You will certainly have to adjust sliders to get an appealing look when switching from Lelutka to Genus and you certainly don't want to mess up your only Lelutka shape. You will need a different shape for every head you try. 

• Thanks 1

A couple of things...the first one, you can't go by the normal timeline of what is listed.  It happened right at the beginning of the pandemic in the US.  All courts were closed for civil suits, including judges, clerks, etc...I have to believe that's why it took so long the first time around.  This time, with 5 lawyers, I have to also assume she used lawyers at first, from her own country.  Then she goes with a US attorney who is used to the ins & outs of US courts.  Just my opinion....

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Bagnu said:

I;m happy with my Lelutka, but would till like to try Genus sometime. It would have to a be a test alt for me though. I'm not taking risks with my head!!!

You should probably make your self a test OUTFIT and a basic outfit.

I use a basic nude avatar to start all my outfits from. I use a copy of the original purchased body and head. This leaves the original copies as a starting place for emergency recovery if needed.

I have another outfit that uses another set of copies of the original body and head that I consider my test avatar. I expect to screw this avatar up. I have on various occasions replaced the body and head with new copies from the originals.

I also make copies of my shape. Trying new heads usually means I will be using their shape as a starting place for tweaking the head.

With a test body and head I am free to boldly experiment and go where no girl has gone before...  I'm always one click-away from being able to restore my avatar to its original/basic look.

50305112958_51b3feaa80_c.jpg

12 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I will not use the words "Linden Lab", but I will say that the Internet Provider/Web host is supporting DMCA fraud if they do not ask for ID of the DMCA. The system is rigged so the abuser wins. Always.

The platform receiving the DMCA take-down notice has no choice. So the Lab or anyone else in a similar position is NOT supporting fraud. They are following the law.

The system dos NOT support the abuser. If they can be found, they may serve jail time for filing a false charge.

BUT, the system is prone to abuse as we have seen in the Genus Project case. This is the problem with any system where one has action taken against them and then they have to prove they are innocent to get it reversed. The idea that one is innocent until proven guilty is a foundation stone of a just civil society. Anything else is regressive.

• Like 2

On 9/2/2020 at 10:47 PM, Marianne Little said:

I remember reading another poster who said LL demanded he scanned his ID, took a picture of himself while holding up that ID so it is clearly visible. And that was only for age verification.

Or did LL accept the DMCA without verified RL Identity?

Makes me wonder if LL has to react as soon as they receive to DMCA just to protect their own property. 

On 9/3/2020 at 12:47 AM, Marianne Little said:

I remember reading another poster who said LL demanded he scanned his ID, took a picture of himself while holding up that ID so it is clearly visible. And that was only for age verification.

If this fake persona used a fake ID, that is a serious crime in any land I can think about.

Or did LL accept the DMCA without verified RL Identity?

I mean that what was demanded in the linked post should be mandatory in DMCA cases.

Congratulations to Genus. I hope the rumors about them working on a male head were true.

DMCA is Federal law.  LL can't change the rules and can't request any information not specified in the law.  The problem lies with a US Congress that passed a bad law.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

You should probably make your self a test OUTFIT and a basic outfit.

I use a basic nude avatar to start all my outfits from. I use a copy of the original purchased body and head. This leaves the original copies as a starting place for emergency recovery if needed.

I have another outfit that uses another set of copies of the original body and head that I consider my test avatar. I expect to screw this avatar up. I have on various occasions replaced the body and head with new copies from the originals.

I also make copies of my shape. Trying new heads usually means I will be using their shape as a starting place for tweaking the head.

With a test body and head I am free to boldly experiment and go where no girl has gone before...  I'm always one click-away from being able to restore my avatar to its original/basic look.

50305112958_51b3feaa80_c.jpg

The platform receiving the DMCA take-down notice has no choice. So the Lab or anyone else in a similar position is NOT supporting fraud. They are following the law.

The system dos NOT support the abuser. If they can be found, they may serve jail time for filing a false charge.

BUT, the system is prone to abuse as we have seen in the Genus Project case. This is the problem with any system where one has action taken against them and then they have to prove they are innocent to get it reversed. The idea that one is innocent until proven guilty is a foundation stone of a just civil society. Anything else is regressive.

The biggest issue I have in this case, is the obvious gap between 10/14 working days and the time it took for Genesis to get their content back. I see that you do not address that. The DMCA law is clear.

If the law was followed in full, Genus would suffer a much smaller loss.

It is the complaining party that must sue Genus in court, if the law is used correct. Not the one accused. It seems to be everyone's understanding that it is the other way around...

"If you send a counter-notice, your online service provider is required to replace the disputed content unless the complaining party sues you within fourteen business days of your sending the counter-notice. (Your service provider may replace the disputed material after ten business days if the complaining party has not filed a lawsuit, but it is required to replace it within fourteen business days.) " https://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/responding-dmca-takedown-notice-targeting-your-content

10 days, the service provider may replace, 14 days, the service provider is required to replace.

I find it hard to believe no one with the power to reinstate the material was sick/unavailable for the months it took. It must be more one person that work in the business section, yes?

The law is clear, the complaining party must sue as a response to the counter-notice. Linden Lab is not required to do more that ask for confirmation that a lawsuit is filed. If they were presented with a false lawsuit, then I wonder how many laws the complaining party has broken.

Linden Lab should turn over all the information they have about the accuser to the law instance that deals with this. That would be a sign to future criminals that LL takes DMCA serious.

To end this on a lighter note, the store is up, and the free head is back in group notices! Yay!!

Edited by Marianne Little
added a few more words, trying to explain better
  • Thanks 1

i too feel as if there is something fishy going on here. it's not like every last one of the most popular artists in SL fiercely protect their RL identity. i'm not sure why that is, it's just a fact. so, when someone gets hit with a DMCA, your RL identity is revealed to the accuser [on filing a counter-notice]. as far as i know, once the accused submits a counter claim, the RL identity of the accuser is given to the accused. or maybe i should read all the DMCA cases SL's had over the years again? [mere speculation. claimant's identity need not be revealed at this stage of the process.]

if i'm right, Genus should have had the identity of the accuser. who gives it to them i don't know. [not at this stage]

if Genus is telling us the truth, and the accuser's identity was falsified, [real identities are part of the claimant's responsibility. verifying these particulars is anyone's guess] the process of finding out who actually hit them should have prompted LL to return their stuff. if there was going to be any liability on LL for accepting a false identity, that's where the lawyers might have stopped any fair dealing with the wronged party to save their asses. 

one thing i know, if you need to call in the lawyers, you've lost already.

[edit's marked [...] on further reading]

Edited by EnCore Mayne

I try to understand English ad good as I can, but I can not see any other way to read the law as it is the complaining party that has to file a lawsuit, not Genus, after Genus sent LL the counter-notice.

The defendant must take file a lawsuit. It is clear as water in the quote in my previous post. It should not be handled differently.

As I read the Genus Facebook post (and I may read it wrong) is that LL used months to not reply to their lawyers, and of course the false accuser and their false lawyers did not reply.

"The most dissapointing (sic) thing to me in this whole situation is that I and my 5 lawyers were ignored for several months. Nobody wanted to answer me, all my letters were unanswered - no feedback at all. My lawyers received only references to the old letters and a copy of this complaint. And of course, nobody answered us from those fake addresses and phone numbers."

Edited by Marianne Little

Horrible what GenusProject and the creator have been through, clearly the law must be changed to make it mandatory that a DCMA complainer (individual or company) must be identity verified by state or government agency and only then any DCMA complaint should be handled as the law stipulates.

Further a deposit of say 1,000 US$ or 10,000 US or 1,000,000 US$ depending on size of a products turnover, would help to prevent fakes claims, only when this deposit is registered and verified on a bank account of state/government lawmaker, the complaint would be accepted.

Edited by Rachel1206
  • Like 1

s͟͟͟͞͞͞t͟͟͟͞͞͞i͟͟͟͞͞͞l͟͟͟͞͞͞l͟͟͟͞͞͞ d͟͟͟͞͞͞e͟͟͟͞͞͞c͟͟͟͞͞͞i͟͟͟͞͞͞d͟͟͟͞͞͞i͟͟͟͞͞͞n͟͟͟͞͞͞g͟͟͟͞͞͞ b͟͟͟͞͞͞e͟͟͟͞͞͞t͟͟͟͞͞͞w͟͟͟͞͞͞e͟͟͟͞͞͞e͟͟͟͞͞͞n͟͟͟͞͞͞ L͟͟͟͞͞͞e͟͟͟͞͞͞l͟͟͟͞͞͞u͟͟͟͞͞͞t͟͟͟͞͞͞k͟͟͟͞͞͞a͟͟͟͞͞͞ a͟͟͟͞͞͞n͟͟͟͞͞͞d͟͟͟͞͞͞ G͟͟͟͞͞͞e͟͟͟͞͞͞n͟͟͟͞͞͞u͟͟͟͞͞͞s͟͟͟͞͞͞. P͟͟͟͞͞͞r͟͟͟͞͞͞o͟͟͟͞͞͞b͟͟͟͞͞͞a͟͟͟͞͞͞b͟͟͟͞͞͞l͟͟͟͞͞͞y͟͟͟͞͞͞ i͟͟͟͞͞͞ s͟͟͟͞͞͞h͟͟͟͞͞͞o͟͟͟͞͞͞u͟͟͟͞͞͞l͟͟͟͞͞͞d͟͟͟͞͞͞ w͟͟͟͞͞͞a͟͟͟͞͞͞i͟͟͟͞͞͞t͟͟͟͞͞͞ t͟͟͟͞͞͞i͟͟͟͞͞͞l͟͟͟͞͞͞l͟͟͟͞͞͞ G͟͟͟͞͞͞e͟͟͟͞͞͞n͟͟͟͞͞͞u͟͟͟͞͞͞s͟͟͟͞͞͞ i͟͟͟͞͞͞s͟͟͟͞͞͞ s͟͟͟͞͞͞t͟͟͟͞͞͞a͟͟͟͞͞͞b͟͟͟͞͞͞l͟͟͟͞͞͞e͟͟͟͞͞͞ a͟͟͟͞͞͞n͟͟͟͞͞͞d͟͟͟͞͞͞ u͟͟͟͞͞͞p͟͟͟͞͞͞d͟͟͟͞͞͞a͟͟͟͞͞͞t͟͟͟͞͞͞e͟͟͟͞͞͞d͟͟͟͞͞͞, i͟͟͟͞͞͞n͟͟͟͞͞͞ t͟͟͟͞͞͞h͟͟͟͞͞͞e͟͟͟͞͞͞ p͟͟͟͞͞͞i͟͟͟͞͞͞c͟͟͟͞͞͞t͟͟͟͞͞͞u͟͟͟͞͞͞r͟͟͟͞͞͞e͟͟͟͞͞͞s͟͟͟͞͞͞ i͟͟͟͞͞͞t͟͟͟͞͞͞ l͟͟͟͞͞͞o͟͟͟͞͞͞o͟͟͟͞͞͞k͟͟͟͞͞͞ i͟͟͟͞͞͞n͟͟͟͞͞͞c͟͟͟͞͞͞r͟͟͟͞͞͞e͟͟͟͞͞͞d͟͟͟͞͞͞i͟͟͟͞͞͞b͟͟͟͞͞͞l͟͟͟͞͞͞e͟͟͟͞͞͞

I just want to point out.... that the hows and the whys of it, the nitty gritty details, are not really our business.  How long it took may have nothing to do with LL or courts.  There may be other circumstances that went on or didn't.  Genus does not owe anyone an explanation of exactly the step by step, hour by hour, day by day process that went on.  They released the information that they wanted to, and ...well, that is that.

I hope that they are clear of it and things will get back on track.  And that is all I can do.  Knowing any more than that...out of my control.

Sooo , Welcome back Genus :)

• Like 4

5 hours ago, missHayes said:

s͟͟͟͞͞͞t͟͟͟͞͞͞i͟͟͟͞͞͞l͟͟͟͞͞͞l͟͟͟͞͞͞ d͟͟͟͞͞͞e͟͟͟͞͞͞c͟͟͟͞͞͞i͟͟͟͞͞͞d͟͟͟͞͞͞i͟͟͟͞͞͞n͟͟͟͞͞͞g͟͟͟͞͞͞ b͟͟͟͞͞͞e͟͟͟͞͞͞t͟͟͟͞͞͞w͟͟͟͞͞͞e͟͟͟͞͞͞e͟͟͟͞͞͞n͟͟͟͞͞͞ L͟͟͟͞͞͞e͟͟͟͞͞͞l͟͟͟͞͞͞u͟͟͟͞͞͞t͟͟͟͞͞͞k͟͟͟͞͞͞a͟͟͟͞͞͞ a͟͟͟͞͞͞n͟͟͟͞͞͞d͟͟͟͞͞͞ G͟͟͟͞͞͞e͟͟͟͞͞͞n͟͟͟͞͞͞u͟͟͟͞͞͞s͟͟͟͞͞͞. P͟͟͟͞͞͞r͟͟͟͞͞͞o͟͟͟͞͞͞b͟͟͟͞͞͞a͟͟͟͞͞͞b͟͟͟͞͞͞l͟͟͟͞͞͞y͟͟͟͞͞͞ i͟͟͟͞͞͞ s͟͟͟͞͞͞h͟͟͟͞͞͞o͟͟͟͞͞͞u͟͟͟͞͞͞l͟͟͟͞͞͞d͟͟͟͞͞͞ w͟͟͟͞͞͞a͟͟͟͞͞͞i͟͟͟͞͞͞t͟͟͟͞͞͞ t͟͟͟͞͞͞i͟͟͟͞͞͞l͟͟͟͞͞͞l͟͟͟͞͞͞ G͟͟͟͞͞͞e͟͟͟͞͞͞n͟͟͟͞͞͞u͟͟͟͞͞͞s͟͟͟͞͞͞ i͟͟͟͞͞͞s͟͟͟͞͞͞ s͟͟͟͞͞͞t͟͟͟͞͞͞a͟͟͟͞͞͞b͟͟͟͞͞͞l͟͟͟͞͞͞e͟͟͟͞͞͞ a͟͟͟͞͞͞n͟͟͟͞͞͞d͟͟͟͞͞͞ u͟͟͟͞͞͞p͟͟͟͞͞͞d͟͟͟͞͞͞a͟͟͟͞͞͞t͟͟͟͞͞͞e͟͟͟͞͞͞d͟͟͟͞͞͞, i͟͟͟͞͞͞n͟͟͟͞͞͞ t͟͟͟͞͞͞h͟͟͟͞͞͞e͟͟͟͞͞͞ p͟͟͟͞͞͞i͟͟͟͞͞͞c͟͟͟͞͞͞t͟͟͟͞͞͞u͟͟͟͞͞͞r͟͟͟͞͞͞e͟͟͟͞͞͞s͟͟͟͞͞͞ i͟͟͟͞͞͞t͟͟͟͞͞͞ l͟͟͟͞͞͞o͟͟͟͞͞͞o͟͟͟͞͞͞k͟͟͟͞͞͞ i͟͟͟͞͞͞n͟͟͟͞͞͞c͟͟͟͞͞͞r͟͟͟͞͞͞e͟͟͟͞͞͞d͟͟͟͞͞͞i͟͟͟͞͞͞b͟͟͟͞͞͞l͟͟͟͞͞͞e͟͟͟͞͞͞

Get the Genus free head in the group, spend your money on Lelutka-its a superior product in every way, and probably one of the best heads you can get at the moment. All my humble opinion of course. 

On 9/4/2020 at 3:17 AM, Lewis Luminos said:

Trying another head would not damage the one you have now. Just take off the LeLutka head and add the Genus one. Then when you're bored of playing with the Genus head, take it off and put the Lelutka head back on.

One thing you must remember though, is to make a copy of your SHAPE.

I make copies of my shape for each brand of stuff I try out.

That noted, I see all the time in the support groups of several major brands that are people are terrified of messing with shapes. And I see stupidity like CSRs telling them to use an official shape or official skin...

Some people get led, by the very support staff that complains how uninformed their customers are; into believing they can't mess with any of the dials or the entire experience will blow up...

6 hours ago, Tarani Tempest said:

I just want to point out.... that the hows and the whys of it, the nitty gritty details, are not really our business.  How long it took may have nothing to do with LL or courts.  There may be other circumstances that went on or didn't.  Genus does not owe anyone an explanation of exactly the step by step, hour by hour, day by day process that went on.  They released the information that they wanted to, and ...well, that is that.

Mostly I agree with this in general terms.  However in this instance, Genus has brought the nitty gritty details to the public with their statements.  They could've kept all that private and just published a simple statement devoid of all these details but they didn't.  This, in my opinion, makes it fair game for comments and speculation.

• Like 1

This was the ultimate form of attention seeking,  even if it was anonymous. I'm disgusted!!! Attention should be about something where we can provide something as well. Not the ruination of a respected and talented creator!!!

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Tarani Tempest said:

I hope that they are clear of it and things will get back on track.  And that is all I can do.  Knowing any more than that...out of my control.

Sooo , Welcome back Genus :)

I think some of the follow on comments are more out of interest in understanding the DMCA process and how fake ones can get through, rather than trying to get all the juicy details about Genus.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Atosuria Daviau said:

mind if i ask what makes this head better that the catwa? an i missing out on any great shakes by sticking to what i have?

What's better or not is really subjective and comes down to personal preference. Now that the store is back (yay!), you can try the demos out to see for yourself.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Atosuria Daviau said:

mind if i ask what makes this head better that the catwa? an i missing out on any great shakes by sticking to what i have?

I don't know that any head is "better" than the other.   I have used a lot of them.  They have all have great aspects and the not so great ones.  It always just comes down to what appeals to you.  I personally like to change things up a lot. I wore Catwa for a couple of years, They are a great product...but I just became bored.  Genus has a very different look, and I like that :)

2 hours ago, Atosuria Daviau said:

My girl alt has both and personally I prefer the Catwa. Though part of that is probably because I use Catwa for myself so I'm familiar with the hud. I find the Genus hud difficult to work with. But since it's free, you may as well pick it up and give it a try. You might like it better.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1328 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.