You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 89 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just out of curiosity, to those opposing folks: It's been over a month since this thread was open. Have any of you taken the time out to read 

"I'm Still Here: Black Dignity in a World Made for Whiteness" by Austin Channing Brown

"White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism" by Robin DiAngelo

or 

even take an hour and a half to watch (its the whole thing and its free)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This graphic, which I saw over the road at VVO, distinguishes between the political and the non-political quite well, I think  

Why it can feel hard to talk about racial inequality, and why you should do it anyway.... So, anyway, as i mentioned in a couple of other threads, the company I work for gave us a paid day off in

Racism is defined as: prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior. You can't change the definition to

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Jordan Whitt said:

Whilst I agree that slavery was a hideous part of history, I am throwing it out there that it is unfair to call people villians who in their point in history were just people living their lives the way the world was back then.  Maybe not always in the nicest way possible, but it's just how life goes.

So were SS concentration camp guards. 

39 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

So you can make this correlation, but you're posting videos of a black woman (incidentally there were two black people telling her to go home) telling white BLM protesters to go home.

Ok

Before anyone jumps on me, you its a collective you

Yeah I was gonna say I did not post the video you are talking about...collectively or not...so I am unsure what your point is here.

2 hours ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Breitbart is a collection of fairy tales for fascists. But whatever it takes to avoid the “alt-left”, whatever that is, I guess.

Is the video of that woman a fairy tale? That is the only thing of importance here. Don't get all hung up on where it was posted.

• Confused 1
11 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

Just out of curiosity, to those opposing folks: It's been over a month since this thread was open. Have any of you taken the time out to read 

"I'm Still Here: Black Dignity in a World Made for Whiteness" by Austin Channing Brown

"White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism" by Robin DiAngelo

or 

even take an hour and a half to watch (its the whole thing and its free)

As far as DiAngelo, she is nothing more than a grifter peddling her wares .  She is one of those people who profits from the perpetually aggrieved , in the same vein of Tim Wise. You remove the money from these talking heads and they would disappear because there is no way they are doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. It's all about money.

https://freebeacon.com/culture/the-wages-of-woke-2/

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Is the video of that woman a fairy tale? That is the only thing of importance here. Don't get all hung up on where it was posted.

Considering the source, yes, she probably is.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

Read some of it, yes. It seemed to me that the author is struggling with her own biases. If people relate, perhaps it helps them. I just found it rather weird.

I still believe as I did when I first posted in this thread - finger pointing at any one race is both unkind and ineffective. I treat people as people, and I don't need to know their skin colour to listen to their opinions with an open mind, nor will I make any assumptions about them on that basis. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Breitbart is a collection of fairy tales for fascists. But whatever it takes to avoid the “alt-left”, whatever that is, I guess.

Fascism is fast becoming an overused term in this country to describe anyone who has a different opinion from anyone on the left. That kind of thinking is not a good place for discourse and it is another extreme false equivalence.  Breitbart is conservative yes but fascist alt-right, no.  Please learn the difference and stop spreading this kind of stuff.

Edited by Gage Wirefly
  • Like 1
34 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

This is a very interesting analogy.  So many things that come out of ignorance.  I call it Monkey-see, Monkey-do.  It's like when you are a child and bacon is put in front of you for the first time, you don't know what it is, but you eat it, just like everyone else.  So much of this world and our lives are like that, follow the leader kind of thing.  But, it's propaganda and lies that are the real villain in all our lives, even today.   Since 9-11 certain Christians want us to fear all Muslims for example.  

I have a story to tell.  A Christian pastor visited my building and folks gathered in one of our large rooms for a Sunday service.  The room is right by the elevator.  As I walked by I heard the pastor saying "Muslims won't be happy until all Christians are dead.  Every last one of us."  This is the propaganda I am speaking about.  It's the instill the fear that someone is trying to kill you and your family fear.  It's the fear that drives men to war, among other things such as taking the land, the goods and the childless women so those women can bare sires of their loins on the land.  

I'd vote for a vegan world in a heartbeat as it is barbaric.  I do not, however, call meat eaters villains, though I have gotten into debates with some meat eaters but they were not heated debates.   Still, an interesting analogy though.  Sorry, answering when not directed at me.  

Propaganda is the biggest villian and it's been in all our lives in one way or another.  Plus, outright lies, as Pussycat mentioned.

But, all of us eat that bacon in one or another.  Some of us are becoming "woke" to governments tricks, however, in regards to governments attempting to propagandize us against each other.  

COS BACON IS YUMMY!!!  And I am praying it is NEVER a vegan world.  I love steak waaay too much!  Like I said, weird analog, but I was simply trying to equate something that is normal and accepted in our time maybe being seen as barbaric and something to be scorned 100 years from now. 

24 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Yeah, but why were the Nazi's the way they were?  

I've read it was because some were considered criminals and other's were propagandized into being "enemies of Germany" and the Nazi's believed it.  Hilter even made some of the Nazi's believe that Jews were trying to kill all Christian children.  It was that someone is trying to kill you and your family fear that drove a large part of it.  Plus, someone is trying to hurt Germany and were thus criminals.

Part of it was The Great Depression.  Not many jobs.  It seems that Hilter and other higher ups wanted to get rid of the lesser thans during The Great Depression, those there were no jobs for such as the disabled.

It's horrific, but they were propagandized.  Hilter on the radio with this spiel every day.   Enemies of Germany, trying to kill us, coming from Hilter.  

Edited by FairreLilette
22 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

I disagree.  It wasn't the way of the world to exterminate an entire race of people, just one madman's.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

COS BACON IS YUMMY!!!  And I am praying it is NEVER a vegan world.  I love steak waaay too much!  Like I said, weird analog, but I was simply trying to equate something that is normal and accepted in our time maybe being seen as barbaric and something to be scorned 100 years from now. 

Bacon is just one thing.  You could substitute bacon with anything just about.  But, as kids, we just have plates put in front of us.  We don't know what it is but we eat it.  

Take the barbaric whaling industry of 100 years ago for another example.  Kids just grow up in the whaling industry; they don't know anything different from it.   Whaling is considered barbaric today in much of America.  

Edited by FairreLilette
1 minute ago, FairreLilette said:

Bacon is just one thing.  You could substitute bacon with anything just about.  But, as kids, we just have plates put in front of us.  We don't know what it is but we eat it.  

I know, and understand your analogy.  I was trying, in my own weird way, to lighten the mood a little.  Although nothing could ever convince me to eat brussel sprouts!!!

23 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

Although nothing could ever convince me to eat brussel sprouts!!!

Gawd, I love brussel sprouts but living in California I get to eat the fresh picked ones that are picked right off the stalk so it's a world of difference than perhaps the kind you eaten though I am not sure of the kind you've eaten?  If you've never eaten a fresh picked brussel sprout than you wouldn't really know how incredible they taste.   I love all tart things.  I actually prefer vegetables, fruits, nuts, grains over meat.  California grows some awesome produce but for nearly a decade now not so much because of a near decade drought.  

Edited by FairreLilette

Vegans could never conquer the world. They're too weak! Also, they use too many artificial additives and ingredients. I agree that brussel sprouts are terrible. They always tasted like burned raw lettuce every time I've tried to eat them and I've tried many times because I always think, 'maybe this time it'll be good', but they never are. Bacon is a flavor bomb of meat, fat and salt. I think it's best in small doses. As for whale meat, I'd try it but not sure that I'd like it. 

7 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

fat and salt....

and heart disease and death.   Whose weak again, Bree?  

And, you are supposed to steam brussel sprouts.  Steaming doesn't burn them.  What do you do bake them?  Well, that would make them terrible.  No, you steam them.  

I could invite you all for a day of what we call "California natural" eating, you'd all be going "this is so good".  You'd be surprised.  

Edited by FairreLilette
6 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

and heart disease and death.   Whose weak again, Bree?  

And, you are supposed to steam brussel sprouts.  Steaming doesn't burn them.  What do you do bake them?  Well, that would make them terrible.  No, you steam them.  

I could invite you all for a day of what we call "California natural" eating, you'd all be going "this is so good".  You'd be surprised.  

Bacon gives you power. They should make a bacon energy bar. It would be too effective.

I've never cooked brussel sprouts myself. That's like asking me to cook a lizard. I've only eaten sprouts prepared by other people who are good cooks and also from restaurants. They've mostly been roasted or pan-cooked... I didn't see them getting cooked. I'll look out for steamed brussel sprouts and try them. Maybe those will be good... maybe. To be fair, I did have one good experience with brussel sprouts and they tasted just like I imagined how they should taste, but every other time, and it has been many, I've not had a good experience. It could just be my taste buds. I've been told that I taste bitter flavors in food more than other people which is why I don't like most beers. That California natural eating sounds nice. I'd try it. Is it vegan?

40 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Bacon gives you power. They should make a bacon energy bar. It would be too effective.

I've never cooked brussel sprouts myself. That's like asking me to cook a lizard. I've only eaten sprouts prepared by other people who are good cooks and also from restaurants. They've mostly been roasted or pan-cooked... I didn't see them getting cooked. I'll look out for steamed brussel sprouts and try them. Maybe those will be good... maybe. To be fair, I did have one good experience with brussel sprouts and they tasted just like I imagined how they should taste, but every other time, and it has been many, I've not had a good experience. It could just be my taste buds. I've been told that I taste bitter flavors in food more than other people which is why I don't like most beers. That California natural eating sounds nice. I'd try it. Is it vegan?

Yes, California Natural or sometimes called California Fresh would be vegan or lacto-ova vegetarian at times too - the lacto stands for milk and the ova for eggs.  Vegans eat no dairy products; vegetarians eat dairy products.  You'd really have to taste it to know.  But, we steam our vegetables here plus grow a lot of organic produce...well, did more so before this nearly decade long drought.  

Just, an FYI, something to be aware of and to stay alert of and sorry off topic, but speaking of bacon, be a little careful of pork as I've heard there is a possible swine flu of another strain.  This other strain of swine flu though has not transmitted to humans, but be a little careful of pork and stay alert about it.  

We'd better get back on topic.  

But, here's a bit on the swine flu in 2020 and a link to stay abreast on the current info about it:

July 2, 2020 – A recent publication in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Science (PNAS)external icon describes a group of H1N1 swine influenza viruses that have “the essential hallmarks of being highly adapted to infect humans” and which are therefore of potential pandemic concern.

This group of viruses, referred to as “G4” Eurasian (EA) avian-like H1N1 viruses, has been spreading in pigs in China since 2016 and has become the predominant genotype found in Chinese pigs. According to the report, these viruses have the right characteristics for causing infections in people, including the ability to grow well in human lung cells and to spread by respiratory droplets and direct contact in an animal model. While only three human infections with G4 viruses have previously been reported, this study found that about 10% of swine workers from whom blood samples were taken in China had evidence of prior infection with G4 viruses, suggesting that human infection is more common than previously thought.

It’s important to note that there are no reports of G4 viruses spreading from person-to-person, a characteristic that is required in order for a pandemic to occur. 

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/spotlights/2019-2020/cdc-prepare-swine-flu.html

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Jordan Whitt said:

Yeah I was gonna say I did not post the video you are talking about...collectively or not...so I am unsure what your point is here.

Just pointing out the contradictory stances you all keep throwing out there.

1 hour ago, Gage Wirefly said:

As far as DiAngelo, she is nothing more than a grifter peddling her wares .  She is one of those people who profits from the perpetually aggrieved , in the same vein of Tim Wise. You remove the money from these talking heads and they would disappear because there is no way they are doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. It's all about money.

https://freebeacon.com/culture/the-wages-of-woke-2/

So that's a no, right?

And your counter is another right wing news site...for god's sake one of the advertisements is "Trump II Acquitted"

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/washington-free-beacon/

If y'all are trying to be balanced and seeking information, you're failing badly. Confirmation Bias.

News flash...authors make money off of books!

Edited by Janet Voxel
Because links
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Gage Wirefly said:

Fascism is fast becoming an overused term in this country to describe anyone who has a different opinion from anyone on the left. That kind of thinking is not a good place for discourse and it is another extreme false equivalence.  Breitbart is conservative yes but fascist alt-right, no.  Please learn the difference and stop spreading this kind of stuff.

I'll be sure and IM you next time I think about calling a far-right IQ reduction fetish site "fascist" to make sure I get it right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

I'll be sure and IM you next time I think about calling a far-right IQ reduction fetish site "fascist" to make sure I get it right.

Thanks but no thanks.

12 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

So that's a no, right?

And your counter is another right wing news site...for god's sake one of the advertisements is "Trump II Acquitted"

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/washington-free-beacon/

If y'all are trying to be balanced and seeking information, you're failing badly. Confirmation Bias.

News flash...authors make money off of books!

I didn't see any ads because I have a blocker in my browser. I agree authors do make money from books, that's really not the issue. The issue is she is peddling drivel , absolute garbage drivel.  As a white person I can usually spot another white person who is a money grubbing fraud and DiAngelo is one- she's a white Uncle Tom to be frank, but by all means worship her.

4 minutes ago, Gage Wirefly said:

I didn't see any ads because I have a blocker in my browser. I agree authors do make money from books, that's really not the issue. The issue is she is peddling drivel , absolute garbage drivel.  As a white person I can usually spot another white person who is a money grubbing fraud and DiAngelo is one- she's a white Uncle Tom to be frank, but by all means worship her.

Yeah, but the article you posted is basically saying "She's an author and she made money off of speaking engagements. The shame!" and the point there was you sourced a extreme right wing news site as your back up...as far as your opinion if that's where you're getting your news from...lol...well....

Edited by Janet Voxel
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 89 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.