getting woke and SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1364 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Janet Voxel said:

Feel free to disagree with me all you want, I'm just going to assume the 'you' is a collective one. The way you solve a problem is by looking at it holistically, doctors do it, mechanics do it, good teachers do it. So why wouldn't that approach be taken for something like this? The important question to ask when looking at something holistically is: How did this happen? Why did this happen? Then solutions are offered.

The problem I'm seeing firstly is, you seem to be making this a 'you' vs 'me' issue, when this is an US problem. I'm not asking for an apology, I'm asking for a change. This isn't about apologies, apologies aren't going to fix anything. When your car breaks down, do you apologize to it and just hope it works? No, you take it to a mechanic and he fixes the problem.

You are you and you weren't alive in 1792, neither was I. I'm not asking for your apology or a city painting a mural or TV execs removing an episode of Golden Girls. That's not what this is about.

You're not edgy, you seem to be offended at something though and you seem to be asking the wrong questions. This isn't about you, so why are you taking it personally like it is?

Sorry for the confusion. I'm not taking it personally and i am not easily offended, trust me...

21 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

I said plain and simple that racism is bad, but being racist toward the people to be accused of being racist, isn't helping anything.

If I ask people to take bias tests to see if they have bias which affect how they relate to People Of Color this does not mean I am  being a racist to ask them to examine their mind!  Where in God's name do you get that idea?

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'm not talking about the physical structure of the brain....true all of it is active, or most.

I'm talking about our unconscious mind -- we are not using our unconscious mind to make informed decisions as much as we think we are, though we are responding to the world via influence from it.  Of course I'm assuming that the unconscious part of the brain is actually in the brain...or represented there somehow.

I said:  Regarding human brains, no, the fact that we only use a small percentage of our brains, and the fact that we have an unconscious mind which influences our behavior to a great degree has never been debunked.

I can see your point in that. And i tend to agree. But that in my opinion boils down to education. (not taking it personally, just giving an example) I'm teaching my kids not to be racist. I make them aware that what they see on TV is not real.

1 minute ago, Janet Voxel said:

There is a problem today and it stems from the past. How do you fix it without looking at the past?

Well, by maybe not acting racist towards the ethnic group is being said to be racist towards another ethnic group? There is plenty of that in this threat and that is what i'm hitting on and i see it all over. but allow me to bounce that question back to you. What would you want to see done to that problem you say stems from the past?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:
7 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'm talking about our unconscious mind -- we are not using our unconscious mind to make informed decisions as much as we think we are, though we are responding to the world via influence from it. 

I can see your point in that. And i tend to agree. But that in my opinion boils down to education. (not taking it personally, just giving an example) I'm teaching my kids not to be racist. I make them aware that what they see on TV is not real.

I think education if important, yes. But you are assuming that a kid is watching TV with an adult brain when they aren't. They pick up all sorts of things we're not aware of even if we instruct them to not view the depictions as real.  We can't simply tell a child not to be affected by something -- this does not work.  In fact, there are experiments demonstrating that many kids believe they really did visit the places depicted on TV shows, especially in VR experiences.

Children also pick up stereotypes via watching other adults interact. We can't control everything they absorb though because we don't even know what they're paying attention to at any given time -- it's too complex.  And so, we need to change media as much as we can as well as model good behavior as much as we are able.

1 minute ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

Well, by maybe not acting racist towards the ethnic group is being said to be racist towards another ethnic group? 

We're back on that huh?

1 minute ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

There is plenty of that in this threat and that is what i'm hitting on and i see it all over. 

Did you see anything else?

2 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

What would you want to see done to that problem you say stems from the past?

Well for starters, police and criminal justice reform in the US?

4 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:
8 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

There is a problem today and it stems from the past. How do you fix it without looking at the past?

Well, by maybe not acting racist towards the ethnic group is being said to be racist towards another ethnic group? There is plenty of that in this threat and that is what i'm hitting on and i see it all over.

There may be some of that in this thread, but most of what I've seen is POC and those who support them requesting that we all, as much as possible, should become aware of any bias which affects how we treat POC.  Can you point to examples where POC and their helpers are being racist?

On 7/17/2020 at 10:11 PM, Janet Voxel said:

I'm Canadian, but I'll bite.

How about we start with what doesn't work? Things like stop and frisk policies, police union presidents on camera saying "Oh yeah, you want to protest? We won't police!", shooting an unarmed woman during a traffic stop, shooting an unarmed man in his own house eating ice cream, kneeling on a subdued man's neck until he's dead, having a body camera but having it turned off during any kind of encounter.

I think the next steps would be...to stop doing those things. What do you think? Maybe the next step would be actual repercussions for officers that do those things.

I'm genuinely curious as to what people from other countries see on the news. Since there are or were protests all around the world. What are they seeing that you aren't or isn't accessible in google to you?

Canadian? You don't say.  Please have an entire stadium of seats.

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

There may be some of that in this thread, but most of what I've seen is POC and those who support them requesting that we all, as much as possible, should become aware of any bias which affects how we treat POC.  Can you point to examples where POC and their helpers are being racist?

I would say it was more the white helpers who have been racists, overtly to whites and and more subtly to the ones they are supposedly helping. In my own mind i been thinking of them as the AWW brigade. ie Angry White Women brigade which will undoubtedly land me on the ignore list of some of the more fragile ones.

2 hours ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

You have no idea how good you have it. And the first thing i'd do is vote for Trump.

Stay 6 feet away from him if you come here to vote....he likes to grab women's p*ssies, he said.   Also, do note that he praises white supremacists who murdered a woman in Charlottesville, but condemns the football players taking a knee to call out racism:

fine people 2.jpg

It won't let me double quote, so screenshot it is...

Screenshot_9.thumb.png.b378500f32dc1552cb1e53ffba11a55a.png

Yes we're back to that. Because that is in fact the issue at hand, no matter how hard you wish to deny it.

Did i see anything else? You have got to be joking...

Are you saying "reform police and criminal justice" because you heard someone say that? Please clarify why you personally think it should.

Just now, CaithLynnSayes said:

It won't let me double quote, so screenshot it is...

Screenshot_9.thumb.png.b378500f32dc1552cb1e53ffba11a55a.png

Yes we're back to that. Because that is in fact the issue at hand, no matter how hard you wish to deny it.

Did i see anything else? You have got to be joking...

Are you saying "reform police and criminal justice" because you heard someone say that? Please clarify why you personally think it should.

That's not the issue at hand. It's the issue you're trying to make it.

I'm serious...did you see anything else?

Now we're back to history, but that's something we should just forget about. What exactly needs to be made clear about that?

5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

.....   Also, do note that he praises white supremacists who murdered a woman in Charlottesville, but condemns the football players taking a knee to call out racism:

He did not praise the murderer of the woman in Charlottesville. Murderer, singular. You said supremacists , like a whole group committed the act, so what are you really doing here?

7 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Stay 6 feet away from him if you come here to vote....he likes to grab women's p*ssies, he said.   Also, do note that he praises white supremacists who murdered a woman in Charlottesville, but condemns the football players taking a knee to call out racism:

fine people 2.jpg

citation needed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

That's not the issue at hand. It's the issue you're trying to make it.

I'm serious...did you see anything else?

Now we're back to history, but that's something we should just forget about. What exactly needs to be made clear about that?

it IS the issue at hand, you just don't want to see it. I don't even know what you want at this point. I've asked you what you would do about that history and you're just bouncing the exact same question back to me, which i've answered several times by the way. Focus on TODAY. We're just going in circles at this point. You don't bring anything constructive to the table.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

Because that is in fact the issue at hand

You are imagining we (POC and their supporters) want awareness of the past so we can somehow punish people in the present because of that past.  This is not true!  We need to know the past (the patterns) because it forms the foundation of so much in the present -- knowing it makes a more complete understanding hence a more complete solution. If you don't know the past you are doomed to repeat it, a person much wiser than myself said.

Do you think we should only be aware of one knee on the neck, one murder, that began all the current crisis?  The murders and violence against POC has been happening for centuries, and people need to know about all of it -- if they would take the time to truly know about it they would understand the anger and frustration causing this current crisis. 

17 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

fine people 2.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

You are imagining we (POC and their supporters) want awareness of the past so we can somehow punish people in the present because of that past.  This is not true!  We need to know the past (the patterns) because it forms the foundation of so much in the present -- knowing it makes a more complete understanding hence a more complete solution. If you don't know the past you are doomed to repeat it, a person much wiser than myself said.

Do you think we should only be aware of one knee on the neck, one murder, that began all the current crisis?  The murders and violence against POC has been happening for centuries, and people need to know about all of it -- if they would take the time to truly know about it they would understand the anger and frustration causing this current crisis. 

Except there is data showing there is less police issues per black crime then there has been police issues per white crime. It shows that the police if anything are softer on Blacks out of fear of backlash of discrimination charges and this unfortunately has resulted in worse inner city policing.

Edited by Arielle Popstar
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1364 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.