getting woke and SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1364 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

Seicher Rae seems to be confused, so let me explain.

confused.png.8f36f93a5d388eaf68ea77387d4fb54f.png

I just suggested for Pussycat Catnap to start living in the real world and not in movies, and the reaction was this:

And then some more rambling about movies. Is this a joke? Is it April Fools day somewhere? I just said to not compare real life to movies and live in the real world with real people and you respond by talking about movies again... This has to be trolling, this isn't real...

Yeahhhhh. I'm confused but not by what you think I'm confused with...

@Pussycat Catnap is a LONG time member of the Forums, going back to iterations well before this one. She and I may not always agree on things, but a troll she is not. You? Jury is still out, but is coming to a conclusion. Pussycat is highly intelligent AND knowledgeable (not the same thing) on various topics. Her experience of being Black in America is probably just a tad more "realistic" than yours  [sarcasm font]. You might possibly be trolling outside of your depth.

Edited by Seicher Rae
added the @
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Listen, i'm not trolling. Far from it. I really don't care how long someone is a member of a forum. That has nothing to do with what is being said here. In no way did i challenge anyone's intelligence here. All i'm saying is that movies are not the real world. Movies are made by only a small number of people as i said before. You can not blame an entire ethnic group for that. And when i point that out i just get answers about the same movie and a couple of others. All i do is point that out and question if someone's pulling my leg with that. I'm not being sarcastic. I know i can be but not this time.

I've said it before. The BLM thing... I understand why, i understand you're against racism, so am i, but the way you're going about it, isn't helping your case. Blaming "white people" as a whole for something isn't helping anyone. And those movies talked about are interpretations of things that happened in the past. This is 2020. Fix today, not yesterday. Yesterday is gone. You seem very hostile towards me, and that's ok to be honest, but you're not seeing i'm actually on your side when it comes to racism. Just not the way you choose to go about it. Please understand that. Don't fight racism with racism. Do i really need to explain this again? Just read my first reply near the top of page 53.

Edited by CaithLynnSayes
thanks for the @ tip, didn't know that.

1 minute ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

Listen, i'm not trolling. Far from it. I really don't care how long someone is a member of a forum. That has nothing to do with what is being said here. In no way did i challenge anyone's intelligence here. All i'm saying is that movies are not the real world. Movies are made by only a small number of people as i said before. You can not blame an entire ethnic group for that. And when i point that out i just get answers about the same movie and a couple of others. All i do is point that out and question if someone's pulling my leg with that. I'm not being sarcastic. I know i can be but not this time.

I've said it before. The BLM thing... I understand why, i understand you're against racism, so am i, but the way you're going about it, isn't helping your case. Blaming "white people" as a whole for something isn't helping anyone. And those movies talked about are interpretations of things that happened in the past. This is 2020. Fix today, not yesterday. Yesterday is gone. You seem very hostile towards me, and that's ok to be honest, but you're not seeing i'm actually on your side when it comes to racism. Just not the way you choose to go about it. Please understand that. Don't fight racism with racism. Do i really need to explain this again? Just read my first reply near the top of page 53.

I read what you wrote. Followed the conversation with Pussycat and others. Concept! I followed what she said quite well. I followed what you said too, and wasn't impressed.

5 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

@Pussycat Catnap is a LONG time member of the Forums, going back to iterations well before this one.

Pussycat is highly intelligent AND knowledgeable (not the same thing) on various topics. Her experience of being Black in America is probably just a tad more "realistic" than yours  [sarcasm font]. You might possibly be trolling outside of your depth.

Sometimes my intelligence and my knowledge are also NOT on the same topics... much to my dismay when I realize it... O.o

That noted... I've mentioned this before; I'm more correctly 'Chicana in America'. Mulatto technically. Only people with access to my DNA realize I'm part black. Culturally my roots come out of communities of Latino/Latina people who did not ever cross the border, but had the border cross them. The kind who speak a version of Spanish that is about as Mexican as a Burrito, or as Indian as Curry.

These are mi homies:

😛

We do have a lot of shared struggles though - so I relate on that ground.

The current 'topic of the nation' is about Black Lives Matter - so that's where I've been coming from on this one. Even if I were to be selfish; I'm in the set of dominoes set to fall right after the African Americans. But beyond that; I feel solidarity is vital to everyone so I rally behind whoever is being targeted by injustice.

1 minute ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

And those movies talked about are interpretations of things that happened in the past. This is 2020. Fix today, not yesterday. Yesterday is gone. You seem very hostile towards me, and that's ok to be honest, but you're not seeing i'm actually on your side when it comes to racism.

You can't discuss racism in the US without discussing the history of it. The two are inextricably linked, the history of it is why it's systemic today.

4 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

You can't discuss racism in the US without discussing the history of it. The two are inextricably linked, the history of it is why it's systemic today.

I seriously disagree with that statement Janet. Please try to see it this way: If you keep clinging on to what happened in the past, how do you expect to go forwards? As stated before, i don't judge or hate or discriminate towards anyone because of a skin tone. And i can only do that for myself. I have no clue if my great great grandfather was a racist, he could very well have been. Why am i supposed to apologize for that? I am me, my actions happen today. I don't hate anyone for the skin tone they were born with. So why do you keep holding the past above a certain ethnic group's head and make them apologize for it? I honestly don't get that and i'm not trying to be edgy. It honestly baffles me.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

All i'm saying is that movies are not the real world. Movies are made by only a small number of people as i said before.

Media both reflects society and influences society. This is why we analyze it. Television and movies are not separate from the real world at all in terms of maintaining and changing attitudes toward life.
For example, when a crime series on TV shows People Of Color as more likely to be criminal compared to Whites the public starts to believe POC are more likely to be criminal on a more unconscious or subliminal level -- this is why we need to bring awareness to character portrayals in the media.

Edited by Luna Bliss

6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Media both reflects society and influences society. This is why we analyze it. Television and movies are not separate from the real world at all in terms of maintaining and changing attitudes toward life.
For example, when a crime series on TV shows People Of Color as more likely to be criminal compared to Whites the public starts to believe POC are more likely to be criminal on a more unconscious or subliminal level -- this is why we need to bring awareness to character portrayals in the media.

Please... Read this article:

The idea that black people are wantonly attacking white people in some sort of quiet race war is an untruthful and damaging narrative with a very long history in America. 

https://www.splcenter.org/20180614/biggest-lie-white-supremacist-propaganda-playbook-unraveling-truth-about-‘black-white-crime

2 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:
9 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Please... Read this article:

The idea that black people are wantonly attacking white people in some sort of quiet race war is an untruthful and damaging narrative with a very long history in America. 

https://www.splcenter.org/20180614/biggest-lie-white-supremacist-propaganda-playbook-unraveling-truth-about-‘black-white-crime

Don't you think more people watch TV crime shows than would come across this article you are posting?

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

Don't you think more people watch TV crime shows than would come across this article you are posting?

So, are you telling me you are a mindless couch potato that can't think for itself when watching a movie? Don't compare people to your low standard.

2 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Harriet movie

I'm going to watch it today...it's at HBO now.  Researching a bit this movie sure is controversial!   Some points I agree with, others I don't, others I need to do more investigating to make a decision.

I remain firm on one idea though...and that is we need to stop placing Blacks in criminal roles in all media!  Or at the very least represent them in correct proportion to Whites.  Really, it's this stereotype of Blacks being more criminal as well as less capable that is the root of all the major problems POC experience in society, as it disadvantages them in the areas which would enable them to have a more successful life.

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'll say even more. If that is the way you think people think, then there is something wrong with (your) education. If you never learned to not blindly believe the mindless drivel you see on tv and not make your own mind up... I'm not having a go at you personally, but please think before you say something. Plenty of people know a TV series or movie isn't real and don't think the world works like they see in movies for f* sake!

3 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:
6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

So, are you telling me you are a mindless couch potato that can't think for itself when watching a movie? Don't compare people to your low standard.

I am actually a very aware and introspective person with lots of training in the Social Sciences, and I can admit that I also have bias because I have an unconscious mind that was affected by my socialization throughout life, much of it coming from my earliest years when frontal lobes are not so active (conscious mind).  We only use a small percentage of our brains at any given time -- that's been proven. It has also been proven that all people have bias -- you'd know that if you actually read this thread.

3 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:
10 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'll say even more. If that is the way you think people think, then there is something wrong with (your) education. If you never learned to not blindly believe the mindless drivel you see on tv and not make your own mind up... I'm not having a go at you personally, but please think before you say something. Plenty of people know a TV series or movie isn't real and don't think the world works like they see in movies for f* sake!

People make up their mind only when they've become aware of what's truly in their mind. Everybody is influenced by socialization during their upbringing.

I challenge you to take the bias tests and discover for yourself.

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

I am actually a very aware and introspective person with lots of training in the Social Sciences, and I can admit that I also have bias because I have an unconscious mind that was affected by my socialization throughout life, much of it coming from my earliest years when frontal lobes are not so active (conscious mind).  We only use a small percentage of our brains at any given time -- that's been proven. It has also been proven that all people have bias -- you'd know that if you actually read this thread.

I understand both sides, i've mentioned a couple of times that i do understand the reasoning on both sides. I did read the thread fully. All 53 pages of it. did you read and understand what i said? I said plain and simple that racism is bad, but being racist toward the people to be accused of being racist, isn't helping anything.

Your argument of using a small percentage of our brains is weak and in fact debunked several years ago but i don't really see what that ha to do with anything. I have no bias here, i am condemning racism, on both sides. Please reread my posts. I'm happy to clarify anything you didn't understand or misunderstood. I'm not trying to be funny or humiliate you. I'm actually very serious about that.

I said plain and simple that racism is bad, but being racist toward the people to be accused of being racist, isn't helping anything.

Your argument of using a small percentage of our brains is weak and in fact debunked several years ago but i don't really see what that ha to do with anything.

If I ask people to take bias tests to see if they have bias which affect how they relate to People Of Color this does not mean I am  being a racist to ask them to examine their mind!  Where in God's name do you get that idea?

Regarding human brains, no, the fact that we only use a small percentage of our brains, and the fact that we have an unconscious mind which influences our behavior to a great degree has never been debunked.

3 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

The ignore list is your friend and the proper home for obvious trolls and similar agitators.

I've said several times i'm really not trying to troll. I'm really passionate about this topic. I understand both sides and want to hear the other side. It's a shame you think i'm trolling. I'm honestly not trolling. fun fact, the term 'trolling' is often misused for accusing people of saying something you don't agree with in order to try and defame them. Really sad. In the off chance you didn't block me yet, i'd like to ask you to come up with a counterargument. I'd love to talk to you about it in a civil manner. I mean that.

5 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:
22 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

We only use a small percentage of our brains at any given time -- that's been proven.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321060

I'm not talking about the physical structure of the brain....true all of it is active, or most.

I'm talking about our unconscious mind -- we are not using our unconscious mind to make informed decisions as much as we think we are, though we are responding to the world via influence from it.  Of course I'm assuming that the unconscious part of the brain is actually in the brain...or represented there somehow.

I said:  Regarding human brains, no, the fact that we only use a small percentage of our brains, and the fact that we have an unconscious mind which influences our behavior to a great degree has never been debunked.

Edited by Luna Bliss

12 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

I seriously disagree with that statement Janet. Please try to see it this way: If you keep clinging on to what happened in the past, how do you expect to go forwards? As stated before, i don't judge or hate or discriminate towards anyone because of a skin tone. And i can only do that for myself. I have no clue if my great great grandfather was a racist, he could very well have been. Why am i supposed to apologize for that? I am me, my actions happen today. I don't hate anyone for the skin tone they were born with. So why do you keep holding the past above a certain ethnic group's head and make them apologize for it? I honestly don't get that and i'm not trying to be edgy. It honestly baffles me.

Feel free to disagree with me all you want, I'm just going to assume the 'you' is a collective one. The way you solve a problem is by looking at it holistically, doctors do it, mechanics do it, good teachers do it. So why wouldn't that approach be taken for something like this? The important question to ask when looking at something holistically is: How did this happen? Why did this happen? Then solutions are offered.

The problem I'm seeing firstly is, you seem to be making this a 'you' vs 'me' issue, when this is an US problem. I'm not asking for an apology, I'm asking for a change. This isn't about apologies, apologies aren't going to fix anything. When your car breaks down, do you apologize to it and just hope it works? No, you take it to a mechanic and he fixes the problem.

You are you and you weren't alive in 1792, neither was I. I'm not asking for your apology or a city painting a mural or TV execs removing an episode of Golden Girls. That's not what this is about.

You're not edgy, you seem to be offended at something though and you seem to be asking the wrong questions. This isn't about you, so why are you taking it personally like it is?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Thanks

I'm not talking about the physical structure of the brain....true all of it is active, or most.

I'm talking about our unconscious mind -- we are not using our unconscious mind to make informed decisions as much as we think we are, though we are responding to the world via influence from it.  Of course I'm assuming that the unconscious part of the brain is actually in the brain...or represented there somehow.

I said:  Regarding human brains, no, the fact that we only use a small percentage of our brains, and the fact that we have an unconscious mind which influences our behavior to a great degree has never been debunked.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1364 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.