getting woke and SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1358 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

There's so much these people from other countries don't know about the US, or at least those outside the US who torture us on this thread.  I can only hope they pay attention and revise their opinions accordingly.

So now engaging in dialogue is torture just because I am not American.  Noted.

That is a completely insulting and degrading thing to say.  Keep fiddling whilst your country burns.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

So now engaging in dialogue is torture just because I am not American.  Noted.

That is a completely insulting and degrading thing to say.  Keep fiddling whilst your country burns.

Thanks for your concern, but we already have plenty of home grown fascists and do not need to import more. We may even have a surplus, if you would like to take some off our hands. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Thanks for your concern, but we already have plenty of home grown fascists and do not need to import more. We may even have a surplus, if you would like to take some off our hands. 

Disagreeing with something does not make me a fascist.  But thanks for sinking to the lowest form of debate...name calling.

• Like 6

I must be the oldest person on this thread.. I remember when there was real racism. I was a little kid when the 1960s riots were happening. I was injured very badly when a brick was thrown at my mom's windshield on the way home from school. I didn't understand how people of all colors can be so horrible to each other. I still don't understand why God's children want to hurt and kill each other.

I'm white and live in the South. Most of my life has been lived in varying degrees of poverty. When I was younger, I was homeless for a long time. If I wanted to eat, I had to raid a McDonald's dumpter right after closing time. I was always on the verge of starvation. Not all white people experience the bliss of "white privilege".. Life has been hard for so many of us.

Black Live Matters has been hijacked by crazy self entitled white liberals who are being paid to burn, loot and beat anyone who disagrees with them. People are donating to BLM and most don't even know that the money is going to various Democrat campaign funds and not to impoverished black families.  It's a damn shame that most people don't investigate things and think for themselves.

Love one another.

• Like 6

Now local cops are getting into the act of behaving like East German Secret Police:

- Flagrant Constitutional violations right there.

Legally speaking... the public here could lawfully have shot at those men under 'defense of others' - as it looks like a kidnapping, not an arrest.

No reading of rights, no identifying as police, no probable cause.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

1 hour ago, Walelu Summerwind said:

I'm white and live in the South. Most of my life has been lived in varying degrees of poverty. When I was younger, I was homeless for a long time. If I wanted to eat, I had to raid a McDonald's dumpter right after closing time. I was always on the verge of starvation. Not all white people experience the bliss of "white privilege".. Life has been hard for so many of us.

Sorry to hear your story. 

This country is turning more into a country of the haves and have nots just like my Mother told me it would.  My second oldest sister, her job was just replaced by a machine and she is considered a professional.  She was a medical transcriber.  Now all doctors have to do is talk into a machine and it types what they say.   And, then there are businesses going overseas with jobs that pay pennies a day and meals.   And, plus importing jobs as well for people who will work for way less wages.  Privilege in it's definition also means a type of immunity; the higher classes can and do often have that - their money pays for it and, in the WASP culture, it was built on the favor system - you give my son this, I'll give your son that.  

As far as "white privilege"...what I read about it made the most sense in that the article said it was a phrase used especially during The Civil Rights movement of the 1960's in regards to the WASP culture.  The WASP culture was the white wealthy, the white government, the white ivy leagues, the white establishment at the time of The Civil Rights movement, and they were indeed very privileged.  The counter-culture that sprung up in the 1960's which was the anti-establishment specifically was taking on the WASP culture of the day.  

As far as are whites more privileged, I said it's more like favored perhaps post Civil Rights movement.  I believe there is a white favoritism in the system.  

EDIT:   I also wanted to say that the term "privileged" used to be ascribed to the wealthy only; the privilege was the born with a silver spoon in the mouth.   As far as white privilege for all, it's not actually so much for the poorer whites as it is for the wealthy whites.  I don't quite agree with the term white privilege broad-brush painted myself, but I'd rather not debate the terminology of it all but rather have my opinion on the phrasing of it. White favoritism is part of America, but it leans more towards the wealthy.  None of us can compete with that kind of money no matter what kind of skin color we are.

And, the businessman always looking for the cheapest labor.  The white man actually became too expensive, so more women were being hired than men and even black women or POC women rather a man who is "too expensive" to hire.  It's business crap; we are all expendable in the working class as there is always someone or something to do the job for less than us.  We have no more unions, no more health care for most.   

And, even people who work in hospitals or for hospitals, not all people have health care.  My sister didn't have health care, the one who just lost her job and she worked for hospitals.  She used to have health care with her jobs but then it was ended just like with many other people in this country and now it's near impossible to find a job with health care.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

And, the businessman always looking for the cheapest labor.  The white man actually became too expensive, so more women were being hired than men and even black women or POC women rather a man who is "too expensive" to hire.  It's business crap; we are all expendable in the working class as there is always someone or something to do the job for less than us. 

Exactly, there are 7.8 BILLION people on the planet regardless of gender, skin color, culture or whatever, that means plenty of bee's to work for the queen bee's.

That's how it goes and that's how it has always been, the poor can keep on arguing with each other about who is more "privileged". Fact is for 200.000 years about 100 BILLIONS of humans lived on the planet, thousands of generations were making wealth during their lifetime trying to build a better future for their descendants and normally due to their efforts and logically speaking there wouldn't be any poverty by now..

Try to figure out why such a thing never happened and will never happen regardless of "civil rights" and such stuff (and no it's not due to overpopulation of the planet and neither is the U.S the root of all evil , it's just a small country compared to Empires that existed in the past with a very small history just 250 years in those 200.000 years.).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Walelu Summerwind said:

These things have been your story, but they have NOT been BECAUSE you were White.

And that is what privilege is about.

Many suffer, sure.

Your race did not cause your injuries. It is not WHY other people forced you to be poor or took away the wealth you and your kin once had. Your race is not today making your situation worse or keeping your issues from being addressed.

Other factors might be - but you being white is not WHY your situation is what it is.

And that is the Privilege of your race - that it does not normally define boundaries, limits, or violence upon you. You may have been held down, even by others acting against you. But you were not held down, held back, or made poor BECAUSE you were white.

You may fear for your children when they go out of your house, or even when they are in your house... but you are unlikely to fear that BECAUSE they are white they might lose their lives, and for ONLY that reason. That is privilege.

Privilege is being able to not have to think about how race will be weaponized against you. Privilege is being able to see a conversation like this one in this thread and have no personal idea what these people are talking about.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

On 7/23/2020 at 12:05 PM, Janet Voxel said:

No, it's been like that for a while, it's just that very few people stand up to it here, so there's a weird comfort level with certain things being said. When I first started posting here, there was a right wing troll here posting regularly and a lot of regulars were agreeing with them. They got banned briefly and went over to another SL forum and promptly got rolled up like a carpet and sent packing. That should tell you something right there. A little jab here, a little poke there....its fiiiine, it was a little flip comment.  I used to think some people were just unaware of certain things and if you just took time to explain them, that would help. Then I started to realize most of the time, that's not what it is. Then I thought maybe its a generational thing, nah...that's not it either. There's just a certain level of comfort that exist because the rules are arbitrarily enforced and people are able to exploit them.

I used to have a very full friends list.  This George Floyd thing has cut that list down to 12.

I have spent hours reading this thread.

The people on the left.. all three of them... are debating, and trying desperately to educate, while continually re-examining their own beliefs.  The people on the right are moving onto more whataboutism every time their last point is shot down by objective facts.

Funny be that, says I.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/23/2020 at 7:05 PM, Janet Voxel said:

. They got banned briefly and went over to another SL forum and promptly got rolled up like a carpet and sent packing. That should tell you something right there.

comes from your wishlist i think ... nobody got banned, people simply stopped replying to this. It's not worth the energy to talk to people without sense of reality.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Your race did not cause your injuries. It is not WHY other people forced you to be poor or took away the wealth you and your kin once had. 

Who's taking away money from black people? If you're talking about slavery, that's irrelevant because no one today is a slave.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Now local cops are getting into the act of behaving like East German Secret Police:

- Flagrant Constitutional violations right there.

Legally speaking... the public here could lawfully have shot at those men under 'defense of others' - as it looks like a kidnapping, not an arrest.

No reading of rights, no identifying as police, no probable cause.

She was a he and had criminally damaged 5 police cameras. The police bullet proof vests were a dead giveaway they were police aside from the bike cops with plainly marked Police uniforms that arrived on the scene right away. Probably had his rights read in the car when safely inside which seems rational considering its the middle of a protest that could have turned riotous given the right trigger.

I suspect you would have a tough time winning a case for any constitutional violations but hey, it sounds good.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

She was a he and had criminally damaged 5 police cameras. The police bullet proof vests were a dead giveaway they were police aside from the bike cops with plainly marked Police uniforms that arrived on the scene right away. Probably had his rights read in the car when safely inside which seems rational considering its the middle of a protest that could have turned riotous given the right trigger.

I suspect you would have a tough time winning a case for any constitutional violations but hey, it sounds good.

If a police officer see's you commit a crime or they feel they have enough evidence that proof is found, they don't have to read you your rights..

Only if they are investigating  and questioning the person do they have to read you your rights..

“You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you. Do you understand the rights I have just read to you? With these rights in mind, do you wish to speak to me?”

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

It is not WHY other people forced you to be poor or took away the wealth you and your kin once had.

This has happened to countless people for millennia and while it might not have been because they were white, it was for other reasons, however.  In the 20th Century, it was the Blacks in this country, and the Jews, The Poles, the disabled, the gypsies, the homosexuals in Europe with Germania, Lutheranism and the Nazi's.  And, then the Irish troubles.  There are a lot of "troubles".  

And, just look back over centuries, it was a lot of people who lost their lands for thousands of years by the conquerors.

The white privilege was definitely in far greater existence pre Civil Rights than it is now.  And, it was those white privileged (the ones in power) that took away the Black people's lands.

It's always the ones with the power.  

Is the WASP culture still prevalent today in America as it was in the 1960's?  Not so much so, but it still exists.  

I don't know if anyone will give me and my family the property that was stolen in Poland from my Grandmother.  My grandmother came to America with one steamer truck which later became mine.  

I even think Blacks were not as favored nor wanted because they were not Anglo Saxon and thus would not be an ally to further the WASP culture.  The preferred ones in this country have been the Anglo Protestants and they are quite wealthy and often times the ones in power.  Look up the heritage of every single America president and you will find they ALL have a United Kingdom or Anglo Saxon heritage.   Even President Obama's mother was British.  And then, look at the Polish and Irish, they were not wanted by the Anglo Protestants in this country either.   Why they took us in, I sometimes don't even know why it's so schizophrenic.  

Even Trump and Biden have a U.K. heritage.  I'm not so sure it is because you are Black.  Not Anglo Saxon perhaps.  

Edited by FairreLilette

4 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

And that is the Privilege of your race - that it does not normally define boundaries, limits, or violence upon you. You may have been held down, even by others acting against you. But you were not held down, held back, or made poor BECAUSE you were white.

This might have been true years ago but nowadays it really is no longer a valid assumption. 2 cases in point-

Earlier this month, a good friend of mine who is a card carrying native went a bit ballistic on his landlord after watching too much BLM stuff. Landlord served him an eviction notice and my friend called the welfare agency, leaving a message about his eviction and need for help. In less than 24 hours he was in a conference call with the welfare worker, her supervisor, the agencies lawyer, a rep of the Indian affairs and a representative of the local township all trying to get him sorted with a place asap. He quickly received a cheque for some funds, offer from the lawyer to fight the eviction notice for free, an offer to be given a place on any of the local reservations, an increase of welfare funds because his wife had passed away a number of years back, etc. etc. All these government officials bending over backwards to get him sorted as quickly as possible. A white friend on the other hand, a few months before, was basically told "sucks to be you."

Case 2. A few years ago when i was doing some contract work at a hospital, I was asked to supervise a small crew of workers from both the housekeeping and maintenance departments to prepare a new wing. Work got underway but after 15 minutes or so one of the Black housekeeping guys walked off the job. I waited a while for him to return and when he didn't, I tracked him down and asked what was up and that I needed him to return to help out. He refused and stated he would complain of racism if I made an issue of it. I went to the housekeeping supervisor and mentioned the problem and he just shook his head and said to leave it as they could not be bothered with the headache of dealing with a race card, legit or not, each time he didn't want to do a particular job. Us whities don't have a race card to pull out when something doesn't suit us. We lack that privilege.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

If a police officer see's you commit a crime or they feel they have enough evidence that proof is found, they don't have to read you your rights..

Only if they are investigating  and questioning the person do they have to read you your rights..

“You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you. Do you understand the rights I have just read to you? With these rights in mind, do you wish to speak to me?”

They must read you your Miranda Rights (5th Amendment) before questioning and allow your lawyer to be present during questioning.

In depth explanation: http://www.mirandawarning.org/whatareyourmirandarights.html

Even today many believe if you aren't Miranda'd when arrested, the case will be thrown out of court. That has never been true. It's only when you are questioned that they must read you your rights and they must allow your lawyer/attorney to be present during all questioning sessions.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

These things have been your story, but they have NOT been BECAUSE you were White.

Have you even considered it is not because you are Black but because you are considered to be of non Anglo Saxon heritage?

The Poles were declared not German in WWI and WWII and are considered The Slavics.  The Irish have been declared The Celts.  Both Polish people and Irish people are not considered Anglo Saxon and both have been "the outcasts" and not because they are Polish or Irish.

Even Susan Rice, one of the proposed candidates for Vice President is of Jamaican heritage.  Jamaica is part of the commonwealth of England and the Queen of England still the head of state of Jamaica.  All the presidents of the United States have been either Anglo Saxon or of U.K. heritage, and all except Kennedy, Protestant.  

I think this Anglo Saxon "thing" is discriminatory and it's seen it's day.  It's archaic.    

Edited by FairreLilette

14 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

They must read you your Miranda Rights (5th Amendment) before questioning and allow your lawyer to be present during questioning.

In depth explanation: http://www.mirandawarning.org/whatareyourmirandarights.html

Even today many believe if you aren't Miranda'd when arrested, the case will be thrown out of court. That has never been true. It's only when you are questioned that they must read you your rights and they must allow your lawyer/attorney to be present during all questioning sessions.

That was what I was getting at..

When they read you your rights, they are  looking for more evidence..

This is why just about any lawyer  will advise clients that  if in any time in the future you get pulled over for suspicion of drinking and driving..

First thing is to ask is, if you are under arrest..If they say yes.. Then just keep quiet and don't tell them anything other than you want your attorney..

ETA: Also, I just made some of the best stir fry in my life and just have to say it somewhere... so I'm saying it here..it's that good!! \o/

hehehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci

1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

Have you even considered it is not because you are Black but because you are considered to be of non Anglo Saxon heritage?

Whiteness and Blackness in human beings weren't defined until early slavery times in the US. It was easier for slavers to keep track of their property if "it" had distinguishing characteristics which set "it" apart, and darker-colored skin conveniently achieved this goal. White slaves and indentured servants were freed over a period of time as laws changed while Blacks increasingly were never allowed freedom after working off their time as indentured servants (some Blacks were in this type of contract early on).  Captured slaves were already seen as savage and unlike Westerners, but the slavers further justified enslaving and abusing Blacks by going to great lengths describing their darker-skinned property as inferior, without morals, savage, and in some cases not even truly human.

Once society has a scapegoat and believes someone or something is bad it's very difficult for attitudes to change. It really hasn't been that long ago since Jim Crow times -- these kinds of deeply held attitudes take generations to resolve. Social Science tests demonstrate many still believe Blacks are criminal and incompetent.

So anyway, it's not really Black skin per se that people are prejudiced against...it's the meaning we've assigned through the years to this skin color that's the culprit.

Edited by Luna Bliss

And that is what privilege is about.

Many suffer, sure.

Your race did not cause your injuries. It is not WHY other people forced you to be poor or took away the wealth you and your kin once had. Your race is not today making your situation worse or keeping your issues from being addressed.

Other factors might be - but you being white is not WHY your situation is what it is.

You may fear for your children when they go out of your house, or even when they are in your house... but you are unlikely to fear that BECAUSE they are white they might lose their lives, and for ONLY that reason. That is privilege.

Privilege is being able to not have to think about how race will be weaponized against you. Privilege is being able to see a conversation like this one in this thread and have no personal idea what these people are talking about.

This is so clear I just had to quote it!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1358 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.