getting woke and SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1357 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

fat and salt....

and heart disease and death.   Whose weak again, Bree?  

And, you are supposed to steam brussel sprouts.  Steaming doesn't burn them.  What do you do bake them?  Well, that would make them terrible.  No, you steam them.  

I could invite you all for a day of what we call "California natural" eating, you'd all be going "this is so good".  You'd be surprised.  

Edited by FairreLilette

6 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

and heart disease and death.   Whose weak again, Bree?  

And, you are supposed to steam brussel sprouts.  Steaming doesn't burn them.  What do you do bake them?  Well, that would make them terrible.  No, you steam them.  

I could invite you all for a day of what we call "California natural" eating, you'd all be going "this is so good".  You'd be surprised.  

Bacon gives you power. They should make a bacon energy bar. It would be too effective.

I've never cooked brussel sprouts myself. That's like asking me to cook a lizard. I've only eaten sprouts prepared by other people who are good cooks and also from restaurants. They've mostly been roasted or pan-cooked... I didn't see them getting cooked. I'll look out for steamed brussel sprouts and try them. Maybe those will be good... maybe. To be fair, I did have one good experience with brussel sprouts and they tasted just like I imagined how they should taste, but every other time, and it has been many, I've not had a good experience. It could just be my taste buds. I've been told that I taste bitter flavors in food more than other people which is why I don't like most beers. That California natural eating sounds nice. I'd try it. Is it vegan?

40 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Bacon gives you power. They should make a bacon energy bar. It would be too effective.

I've never cooked brussel sprouts myself. That's like asking me to cook a lizard. I've only eaten sprouts prepared by other people who are good cooks and also from restaurants. They've mostly been roasted or pan-cooked... I didn't see them getting cooked. I'll look out for steamed brussel sprouts and try them. Maybe those will be good... maybe. To be fair, I did have one good experience with brussel sprouts and they tasted just like I imagined how they should taste, but every other time, and it has been many, I've not had a good experience. It could just be my taste buds. I've been told that I taste bitter flavors in food more than other people which is why I don't like most beers. That California natural eating sounds nice. I'd try it. Is it vegan?

Yes, California Natural or sometimes called California Fresh would be vegan or lacto-ova vegetarian at times too - the lacto stands for milk and the ova for eggs.  Vegans eat no dairy products; vegetarians eat dairy products.  You'd really have to taste it to know.  But, we steam our vegetables here plus grow a lot of organic produce...well, did more so before this nearly decade long drought.  

Just, an FYI, something to be aware of and to stay alert of and sorry off topic, but speaking of bacon, be a little careful of pork as I've heard there is a possible swine flu of another strain.  This other strain of swine flu though has not transmitted to humans, but be a little careful of pork and stay alert about it.  

We'd better get back on topic.  

But, here's a bit on the swine flu in 2020 and a link to stay abreast on the current info about it:

July 2, 2020 – A recent publication in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Science (PNAS)external icon describes a group of H1N1 swine influenza viruses that have “the essential hallmarks of being highly adapted to infect humans” and which are therefore of potential pandemic concern.

This group of viruses, referred to as “G4” Eurasian (EA) avian-like H1N1 viruses, has been spreading in pigs in China since 2016 and has become the predominant genotype found in Chinese pigs. According to the report, these viruses have the right characteristics for causing infections in people, including the ability to grow well in human lung cells and to spread by respiratory droplets and direct contact in an animal model. While only three human infections with G4 viruses have previously been reported, this study found that about 10% of swine workers from whom blood samples were taken in China had evidence of prior infection with G4 viruses, suggesting that human infection is more common than previously thought.

It’s important to note that there are no reports of G4 viruses spreading from person-to-person, a characteristic that is required in order for a pandemic to occur. 

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/spotlights/2019-2020/cdc-prepare-swine-flu.html

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gage Wirefly said:

As far as DiAngelo, she is nothing more than a grifter peddling her wares .  She is one of those people who profits from the perpetually aggrieved , in the same vein of Tim Wise. You remove the money from these talking heads and they would disappear because there is no way they are doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. It's all about money.

https://freebeacon.com/culture/the-wages-of-woke-2/

So that's a no, right?

And your counter is another right wing news site...for god's sake one of the advertisements is "Trump II Acquitted"

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/washington-free-beacon/

If y'all are trying to be balanced and seeking information, you're failing badly. Confirmation Bias.

News flash...authors make money off of books!

Edited by Janet Voxel
Because links
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gage Wirefly said:

Fascism is fast becoming an overused term in this country to describe anyone who has a different opinion from anyone on the left. That kind of thinking is not a good place for discourse and it is another extreme false equivalence.  Breitbart is conservative yes but fascist alt-right, no.  Please learn the difference and stop spreading this kind of stuff.

I'll be sure and IM you next time I think about calling a far-right IQ reduction fetish site "fascist" to make sure I get it right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

So that's a no, right?

And your counter is another right wing news site...for god's sake one of the advertisements is "Trump II Acquitted"

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/washington-free-beacon/

If y'all are trying to be balanced and seeking information, you're failing badly. Confirmation Bias.

News flash...authors make money off of books!

I didn't see any ads because I have a blocker in my browser. I agree authors do make money from books, that's really not the issue. The issue is she is peddling drivel , absolute garbage drivel.  As a white person I can usually spot another white person who is a money grubbing fraud and DiAngelo is one- she's a white Uncle Tom to be frank, but by all means worship her.

4 minutes ago, Gage Wirefly said:

I didn't see any ads because I have a blocker in my browser. I agree authors do make money from books, that's really not the issue. The issue is she is peddling drivel , absolute garbage drivel.  As a white person I can usually spot another white person who is a money grubbing fraud and DiAngelo is one- she's a white Uncle Tom to be frank, but by all means worship her.

Yeah, but the article you posted is basically saying "She's an author and she made money off of speaking engagements. The shame!" and the point there was you sourced a extreme right wing news site as your back up...as far as your opinion if that's where you're getting your news from...lol...well....

Edited by Janet Voxel

2 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

Yeah, but the article you posted is basically saying "She's an author and she made money off of speaking engagements. The shame!" and the point there was you sourced a extreme right wing news site as your back up...as far as your opinion if that's where you're getting your news from...lol...well....

You can only attack the source but its factual, in either case. The woman is a fraud and she is profiting from her b.s.  and using people for money in the process. It's shameful.

2 hours ago, Gage Wirefly said:

As far as DiAngelo, she is nothing more than a grifter peddling her wares .  She is one of those people who profits from the perpetually aggrieved , in the same vein of Tim Wise. You remove the money from these talking heads and they would disappear because there is no way they are doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. It's all about money.

https://freebeacon.com/culture/the-wages-of-woke-2/

You strike me as a more logical person than many. So please examine: all people in the so-called 'helping professions', educators, and authors need to earn a living just like everyone else, and so they are generally paid for their time. Being paid for their job however does not equate to being a grifter or not caring about whatever population they seek to assist or educate. I totally agree that Dr. Robin DiAngelo recently hit the jackpot and is raking in the dough -- she was lucky to have written this book at one of those times when racial issues exploded in the US again. This does not automatically translate to her only caring about money and not caring about her subject however --  I'd need more evidence to judge her in such a manner. Also, I'd be even more impressed with her, as the lefty that I am, if she donated a hefty amount of her earnings to worthy causes (and if I recall, I think she does).

Anyhow, Dr. DiAngelo didn't begin the discourse on 'white privilege'. The underlying concepts date back at least as far as to the work of a Black man named W.E.B Du Bois in the 1930s. A woman named Peggy McIntosh then wrote an essay in the 1980's that made 'white privilege' gain popularity in social discourse.

Although it was academic and feminist Peggy McIntosh's essay in the 1980's that made 'white privilege' gain popularity in society in more modern times, it's interesting (and a bit sad really) that it took a white person to gain notoriety for a concept that many prominent black academics and intellectuals had been identifying and 'unpacking' for decades already!

More info about 'white privilege':
https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article/2016/10/13/10-things-you-should-know-about-white-privilege

Edited by Luna Bliss

Just now, Gage Wirefly said:

You can only attack the source but its factual, in either case. The woman is a fraud and she is profiting from her b.s.  and using people for money in the process. It's shameful.

The fact that she's an author and made money off the book and related speaking engagements? Those are the only facts on there!

• Like 1

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

You strike me as a more logical person than many. So please examine: all people in the so-called 'helping professions', educators, and authors need to earn a living just like everyone else, and so they are generally paid for their time. Being paid for their job however does not equate to being a grifter or not caring about whatever population they seek to assist or educate. I totally agree that Dr. Robin DiAngelo recently hit the jackpot and is raking in the dough -- she was lucky to have written this book at one of those times when racial issues exploded in the US again. This not automatically translate to her only caring about money and not caring about her subject.  I'd need more evidence to judge her in such a manner. Also, I'd be even more impressed with her, as the lefty that I am, if she donated a hefty amount of her earnings to worthy causes (and if I recall, I think she does).

Anyhow, Dr. DiAngelo didn't begin the discourse on 'white privilege'. The underlying concepts date back at least as far as to the work of a Black man named W.E.B Du Bois in the 1930s. A woman named Peggy McIntosh then wrote an essay in the 1980's that made 'white privilege' gain popularity in social discourse.

Although it was academic and feminist Peggy McIntosh's essay in the 1980s that made 'white privilege' gain popularity in society in more modern times, it's interesting (and a bit sad really) that it took a white person to gain notoriety for a concept that many prominent black academics and intellectuals had been identifying and 'unpacking' for decades already!

More info about 'white privilege':
https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article/2016/10/13/10-things-you-should-know-about-white-privilege

Deflection . I said what I said and she is a fraud . Anyone peddling white privilege is a fraud, its a myth.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gage Wirefly said:

Deflection . I said what I said and she is a fraud . Anyone peddling white privilege is a fraud, its a myth.

Earlier you said she's a grifter.  Anyhow, we don't call people who believe certain things or write books on a subject we disagree with 'frauds' -- we simply say they are wrong about their subject if we believe it to be so.  Fraud implies a deliberate deceit, but I can tell from reading her writings and watching her videos that she actually cares about her topic.

Edited by Luna Bliss

6 hours ago, Jordan Whitt said:
13 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Nobody is ever totally 'woke' -- I learn something new every day. Tonight I learned more about the inspiring Harriet Tubman and how she helped free slaves on the underground railroad during the period before the Civil War. Social injustice is a scourge upon the earth, and if not fought it can ruin lives or vastly limit potential for those oppressed.  We all have to fight to be free, and if we can it's good help others who are having trouble too.

* I recommend the movie, even though it had the Black bounty hunter. Fortunately he wasn't central as some reviews claimed, and it showed the real conditions of the period where White slavers were being the biggest villains.

I disagree with you on so many points here, including how white people helped free slaves and worked the underground railroad too - in fact, it probably wouldn't have succeeded without them, but the only thing I will address is the part where I bolded your words.

Whilst I agree that slavery was a hideous part of history, I am throwing it out there that it is unfair to call people villians who in their point in history were just people living their lives the way the world was back then.  Maybe not always in the nicest way possible, but it's just how life goes.

Earlier in this thread there was a discussion about the movie Harriet and stereotypes in the media, as this movie has been quite controversial here in the US.
So my use of the word 'villain' related more to this first definition of 'villain':

VILLAIN
 1.  (in a film, novel, or play) a character whose evil actions or motives are important to the plot. A character in a story or play who opposes the hero. 

2.  The person or thing responsible for specified trouble, harm, or damage.   A wicked or evil person; a scoundrel.

Much to my surprise (and a definite 'woke' experience for me), Pussycat related that still, in this day and age, most crime dramas portray Blacks as the criminal or villain of the show waaaay more than they portray Whites as the criminal or villain. And so many have been upset that Hollywood would even portray a slave catcher as Black when nearly all of the slavers and slave catchers were actually White, making Blacks the villains of the story yet again even when this movie is about the horrors of slavery and the violence perpetrated against Blacks by Whites!

This is important to analyze and remedy if possible because the media affects how we view reality, and when we think Blacks are more likely criminals we tend to treat them unfairly.

But you bring up an interesting subject -- how should we evaluate those in the past for behaviors we find deplorable today -- what culpability should they bear in our present minds, if any? Are they actually 'villains'?  I might discuss that in a further post if I have time...

But in the meantime...don't go messin' with Harriet!   :)

Harriet 2.jpg

Edited by Luna Bliss

2 hours ago, Gage Wirefly said:
13 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

You do realize that's from the alt-right Breitbart News?

Conservative yes, alt-right no. They are not the same things. False equivalences.

You may want to read this -- it exposes Breitbart News for the alt-right organization they are:

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2017/10/06/breitbart-exposé-confirms-far-right-news-site-platform-white-nationalist-alt-right

Edited by Luna Bliss

3 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:
5 hours ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Breitbart is a collection of fairy tales for fascists. But whatever it takes to avoid the “alt-left”, whatever that is, I guess.

Is the video of that woman a fairy tale? That is the only thing of importance here. Don't get all hung up on where it was posted.

Most likely Breitbart News searched until they found a Black woman who hates BLM and then let her loose at a protest. This is not the way news should operate.  Don't you think it strange that Breitbart would be out filming all the protests, hoping they would catch someone who does not believe prejudice against Blacks exists and is out screaming like a banshee at protesters?

And of course there are Blacks who do not believe prejudice exists in the US, but they are waaay in the minority.  And why would finding one or a few Blacks who say prejudice does not exist negate all the others who say it does?   I can find one person with an opposing view on any subject -- that does not prove the opposing view is wrong. Do you see the error in your logic?

Edited by Luna Bliss

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

I'm not...please tell me about it...

America is the game Monopoly. When you play the game everybody starts with the same amount of money, in the same spot, etc so more or less its a fair game. From there, its a game of strategy and chance...life right? Now suppose you introduce a player (blacks) after the game is well underway(slavery, Jim Crow, red lining, voter suppression, mass incarceration), all the other players have bought up most of the property (generational wealth) and utilities give them $50(civil rights movement). Not a fair game, right?

That's the Monopoly analogy.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Janet Voxel said:
16 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'm not...please tell me about it...

America is the game Monopoly. When you play the game everybody starts with the same amount of money, in the same spot, etc so more or less its a fair game. From there, its a game of strategy and chance...life right? Now suppose you introduce a player (blacks) after the game is well underway(slavery, Jim Crow, red lining, voter suppression, mass incarceration), all the other players have bought up most of the property (generational wealth) and utilities give them $50(civil rights movement). Not a fair game, right?

There could not be a better analogy for 'white privilege'!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Most likely Breitbart News searched until they found a Black woman who hates BLM and then let her loose at a protest. This is not the way news should operate.  Don't you think it strange that Breitbart would be out filming all the protests, hoping they would catch someone who does not believe prejudice for Blacks exists in the US?

And of course there are Blacks who do not believe prejudice exists in the US, but they are waaay in the minority.  And why would finding one or a few Blacks who say prejudice does not exist negate all the others who say it does?   I can find one person with an opposing view on any subject -- that does not prove the opposing view is wrong. Do you see the error in your logic?

Perhaps so and on the flip side, left wing media simply refuses to print stories that run counter to their agenda or plays very fast loose with the data. To be able to get a good handle on whats really going on out there from our armchairs, one needs to look at both sides and realize that the truth is hopefully somewhere in the middle.

So what did you think of what the woman had to say regarding that if BLM is really concerned that Black lives matter, they should be doing more in coming up with solutions of Blacks killing Blacks in such large numbers? Wouldn't you agree that considering in one city, on one weekend, the same amount of Blacks are murdered by other Blacks then all unarmed ones the police killed in a year all over the country? Would you not agree from a rational point of view that the average Black person in an inner city has much more to worry about from that then concern about racism from whites and/or the police as a whole?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

Would be a good analogy if you didn't leave out the other 90% of immigrant white folk who came to america even after the Blacks were set free.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

So what did you think of what the woman had to say regarding that if BLM is really concerned that Black lives matter, they should be doing more in coming up with solutions of Blacks killing Blacks in such large numbers? Wouldn't you agree that considering in one city, on one weekend, the same amount of Blacks are murdered by other Blacks then all unarmed ones the police killed in a year all over the country? Would you not agree from a rational point of view that the average Black person in an inner city has much more to worry about from that then concern about racism from whites and/or the police as a whole?

So what are you saying? Black Lives Matter is irrelevant because black people kill black people because a black woman said it or are you saying Black Lives Matter is irrelevant because black people kill black people?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Would be a good analogy if you didn't leave out the other 90% of immigrant white folk who came to america even after the Blacks were set free.

Way to ignore Jim crow, voter suppression, red lining, police brutality and mass incarceration...all of which happened after slavery and some of which is still occuring today.

Edited by Janet Voxel
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1357 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.