Getting Dressed in Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1421 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, I'm mindful of many threads on this subject of how hard this is, and there is an ardent belief that this prevents adoption by newbies of SL. Here's a good one but there are lots.

I change my avatar maybe once every 10 years or something and my outfits maybe once a quarter so I'm not a reliable source on this, in a way, but because I persist with a system avatar although I have store-bought shapes, skins, eyes and even ventured out to feet recently, maybe I'm a good subject to test this theory.

I don't like clothes shopping in RL or SL and hate dressing up and want to focus on the world -- plants, buildings, furniture, etc. I just glaze over on all the fashion/mesh body/ etc offerings and discussions.

I find this topic quickly becomes not "dressing" but "selecting from an enormous overwhelming stock of body parts" and then I really lose interest. I can't help thinking that eventually, this will stop and narrow down or become easily. Currently those making these "body parts" have a captive audience fearful of being uncool or left out and confused enough to buy lots of things to stay current -- and the merchants like it that way, and who can blame them. If they can be part of the culture that says, "You MUST have X or Y or Z body part, look, tint, shade, applier" etc, of course they will, and that's understandable. But some day it won't be like this. And even while it is like this now, you can bypass it.

I find that even without a mesh body, if I get a gatcha for $50 or a 30L salebie that is a shirt or something, if it says one of those main mesh body makers, I can still jam it on my old body much of the time, especially if I pull out an alpha t-shirt or alpha pants out of the Linden library. To be sure, there will be glitches and sometimes I have to get a little creative with belts or scarves as I might look like I have no neck or chest but still, $50 is all I want to spend, and 5 minutes, so...

Recently with the pandemic I thought once again -- and likely in vain, but hope never dies -- that maybe my co-workers or friends might like to come and have a meeting or event in SL, and for that I need my female alt, who actually has my RL last name by accident, as it was once available, and I could get it free without the $40. So that alt I had in the same suit for probably 10 years but I thought it might be worth putting the Library avatars on her. So I took the old one in the grey hair, pearls and gown to start with, but who wants to look like they're in a ball room? So I tried to weld in some of the other "Marias" or whatever their names were, and I ended up with something not bad but in a summer strapless dress that seemed kind of skimpy for business. So I thought, take a jacket off one of the others or even a male jacket. Turns out you *cannot* drag the male avatar outfits on to the female system avatar. Maybe I'm missing something. So now I had a problem: I actually had to shop. Ugh.

So fortunately through "gift" I could send some 30L and gatcha $50 items -- dresses, tunics, pants, dragonfly wings, etc. to my alt and thought well, great, she can just jam them on, maybe use an alpha from the library.The expense far is now perhaps $500 in Lindens which is US $1.87 so far, so honestly, the complaint about huge costs isn't valid.

The problem is that it is much harder to jam those company-specific items on to the system body on a female than a male. For some reason even expanding the mesh dress while off of you doesn't help when you put it back on. So now I had to go shopping again -- for a mesh body, something that really goes against my religion, as I am not a cannabalist and don't like to have to keep folders of body parts that I mix and match.

So first I try to look on the MP. This is IMPOSSIBLE. Go do it. You cannot find "mesh body" with the various company names to save your life. The results turn up adaptions of those things -- shapes, add-ons like scars, vampires, all kinds of "popular" things and even using closed quotes and Boolean, I simply could not pull up a screen that had X Mesh Body on it. The categories aren't helpful as they do not contain "mesh body," but only "Avatar Accessories" (not there), Full Avatars (not in the first dozen pages of search results), etc.

Here I'm beginning to think, oh, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it is too hard like they say, even though so far, I had spend only about 20 minutes and US $1.87. So now I really  had to shop -- and go to a store. I picked a popular one at random that seemed more or like the Library avatar I already had (those library avatars do not appear to be any of these popular brands). I landed at the store --the "mesh body" was a few steps away from the entrance, it had a demo, it had miles of explanations that I could safely ignore, it cost $1250 which is US $4.68 -- a bit high but not $5000, after all. So now I've spent US $6.55 on this venture, which is likely in vain because no one I know will come in SL at the moment and prefer the hideosity of Zoom. Still...

Bottom line -- not exactly some huge expense. That body then could accept the gatchas perfectly fine, maybe not in the highest of fashion but good enough. Shoes out of the Library seem fine; hair too. Glasses were a little nerdy -- I put those one from another of the avatars, but I could likely shell out say $299 or $599 in Lindens and get the most fashionable eyeware and I'd still be under US $10.

As someone said in one of these forums, if you won't work an extra hour, or have one less latte on your break, and spend $5 or $10 US on your avatar, especially if you aren't premium, then why are you here? You are too poor to be on the Internet. Feed your family first.

But nobody who complains of this cost is really from any third-world country and most have jobs including high-paying ones in IT or design. So let's not be children here. Take $5 or $10 and dress your damn avatar.

And I personally am done now, unless my main gifts my alt with a $50 gatcha next year or something lol.

I think what the problem is, it's more psychological. People may not be able to bear the amount of education, trial and error, and shopping you have to do to get the skin shade or lipstick shade. I do not care about those things and I don't think anyone looking at me will care. If some seasoned oldbie eyes me in a meeting and says, hmmm, her neck shade is off compared to her head, I won't care. But people do. Even so, I don't think this is the horror envisioned. I'm really done shopping for a good log time, however, because of how the search is too hard, the choices too overwhelming. The good news is that at last, the Library avatars are tolerable and even fine, and with just a little more purchases, you can make use of the cheap stuff out there (not the freebies, generally hideous, but the gatchas).

I do have to say that I finally figured out who that old grey-haired Library male avatar in the tux wearing the rose reminds me of.  I have that outfit on my permless test alt. And it's Jeffrey Epstein. And I begin to reflect on how that may not be an accident. In any event, that avatar now has to become "Male Rocker" in a jiffy because I cannot wear that Jeffrey look, no way. 

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I think what the problem is, it's more psychological. People may not be able to bear the amount of education, trial and error, and shopping you have to do to get the skin shade or lipstick shade.

Yes.

The learning curve for avatar customization is horrendous. I'm not sure how to fix it, given that it's in the hands of a dozen or so big merchants, but I'm convinced it's one of the biggest issues regarding retention.

22 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I do have to say that I finally figured out who that old grey-haired Library male avatar in the tux wearing the rose reminds me of.  I have that outfit on my permless test alt. And it's Jeffrey Epstein. And I begin to reflect on how that may not be an accident. In any event, that avatar now has to become "Male Rocker" in a jiffy because I cannot wear that Jeffrey look, no way. 

And thank you for that. I'll never again be able to see that avatar in-world without wanting to throw up.

• Haha 1

i think that for new people it would be useful for Linden to redo the human starter avatars as a basic gendered BoM bento all-in-one mesh body+head. One for male and one for female

then have the Library human clothing, hair, shoes, layers, etc able to fit the basic gendered body. So that new people can experiment with changing their appearance with the least  amount of hassle

• Like 6

Well, for me, Pixie is a pixel Barbie.  The way I do her hair, her shape, shoes, a prerequisite tiara is a chance to experience things I can never have in the real world.  My feet are toO wide for pretty shoes- I’ve been wearing chuck Taylor’s for over 15 years.  My hair is fine & has no oomph- it’s always pulled up.  I can’t have a tiara dripping with diamonds & I wind up looking like Mimi from the Drew Carey show if I try to put on makeup.   I don’t care what might be in style in SL, it’s likely I wouldn’t like it.  Especially tailored looks.  But in SL I can have a version of me that exceeds my dreams.  

One thing I encountered when playing with the library avis is there are two that have horses you can ride, but the female one is side saddle & you have to go thru a work around to be able to use your own body to ride the western saddle.  Basically wear that folder (replace) then pull each piece off individually & replace it with what you want to wear individually.  Was pretty frustrating.  Why not just put a rideable horse in our default inventory & not make it a pain to utilize? 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yes.

The learning curve for avatar customization is horrendous. I'm not sure how to fix it, given that it's in the hands of a dozen or so big merchants, but I'm convinced it's one of the biggest issues regarding retention.

And thank you for that. I'll never again be able to see that avatar in-world without wanting to throw up.

Well, that wasn't my point. The learning curve is bad, but it can be flattened, to use the modern phrase, and it can be flattened within half an hour and with less than US $10. So that isn't really so insurmountable and I don't think it's the chief reason for retention failure.

On my other point, well, look at this compare and contrast, I rest my case.

https://twitter.com/Prokofy/status/1266183276781359110/photo/1

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 1

actually is not that complicated, all you need is to take some time to check it out, also, there are a lot of tutorials on youtube, some vloggers spend their time an effort to make videos as easy to understand as posible, they will guide you step by step so you can chose the body, head, skin & shape, then you can watch their event videos to find a brand or brands that goes with your style 🙂 

if you don't feel like changing clothes all the time then take the time to chose ones you like and that's it.
remember everything in life (and i mean real life) needs it's time, maybe just once but it needs to be done, you can't evade everything because it looks complicated, specially with the internet as how it is today.
so i recommend you to watch this video:
she is very awesome, some of her videos are in spanish but if you don't understand it don't worry, the most importants like tutorials have an english version too or english subtitles

and if you don't want to spend much money on clothes and stuff then you can buy some on the sales (usually weekend), for men and women, these are some channels where you can find the weekend sales on english.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0EuX0qwDX6__lYj1Kj6msA

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwEepUolIPllhxkLBOjIlpQ

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yes.

well if is if you don't have any help but isn't the same with everything?? i don't think a doctor learned his job all by himself, he attend to a school, had teachers, books, conferences and stuff, is the same here, that's why they are so many people doing tutorials, showing their mistakes so you won't have the same and all you have to do is look for them in youtube or facebook, just don't feel like wanting to learn everything in 5 mins, you need to spend some time but it's not that hard, and if you're in quarantine then i guess you have time to spend 🙂  

I agree with Prok about the frustration of finding Mesh bodies or heads on the Marketplace.  The major sellers simply do NOT sell them there, you have to buy them from the in-world stores.

So that's complication number one.

And, Prok, you're not going to master putting on and adjusting your mesh body and head in five minutes.  (Not a dig at you...I don't think anybody can do it!)  Even after you DO understand how to use those flippin' HUDs, assembling a new look takes time.  I often figure on 30 minutes to an hour to unpack a new dress or outfit, get it on, get the alpha adjusted, then find the right hair, shoes, jewelry, manicure, and makeup to go with it.

It's fun, if you're into that, or if you're in the right mood.  It's just drudgery if you're not.

So, I still use my system avatar for a lot of things.

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

And, Prok, you're not going to master putting on and adjusting your mesh body and head in five minutes.  (Not a dig at you...I don't think anybody can do it!)  Even after you DO understand how to use those flippin' HUDs, assembling a new look takes time.  I often figure on 30 minutes to an hour to unpack a new dress or outfit, get it on, get the alpha adjusted, then find the right hair, shoes, jewelry, manicure, and makeup to go with it.

I just wear jammies most of the time. It's so much easier. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I agree with Prok about the frustration of finding Mesh bodies or heads on the Marketplace.  The major sellers simply do NOT sell them there, you have to buy them from the in-world stores.

So that's complication number one.

It's fun, if you're into that, or if you're in the right mood.  It's just drudgery if you're not.

So, I still use my system avatar for a lot of things.

I don't care about the head and didn't get the head.

I didn't realize they don't sell them on the MP, guess they want to lure you in the store to get demos and buy stuff more.

I just got the body, put it on, put the gatcha dress on that said it matched that body. Didn't seem to need more than that. Don't think I'm missing anything. Just click hit or miss on things like shade of skin. I mean, who has time for this? Not me.

There's already the skin and shape of the Linden avatar, not sure if that "remains" but it seems ok. Of course my standards may be low. I don't care about the hair -- I have the Library hair, shoes etc. Manicure, no, not going there, too much. 

As Dolores Claiborne put it, "I ain't doing no beauty contests today".

Edited by Prokofy Neva

2 hours ago, monykony said:

actually is not that complicated, all you need is to take some time to check it out, also, there are a lot of tutorials on youtube, some vloggers spend their time an effort to make videos as easy to understand as posible, they will guide you step by step so you can chose the body, head, skin & shape, then you can watch their event videos to find a brand or brands that goes with your style 🙂 

if you don't feel like changing clothes all the time then take the time to chose ones you like and that's it.
remember everything in life (and i mean real life) needs it's time, maybe just once but it needs to be done, you can't evade everything because it looks complicated, specially with the internet as how it is today.
so i recommend you to watch this video:
she is very awesome, some of her videos are in spanish but if you don't understand it don't worry, the most importants like tutorials have an english version too or english subtitles

and if you don't want to spend much money on clothes and stuff then you can buy some on the sales (usually weekend), for men and women, these are some channels where you can find the weekend sales on english.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0EuX0qwDX6__lYj1Kj6msA

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwEepUolIPllhxkLBOjIlpQ

I am not getting a head. I am not the Headless Horseman.

5 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I change my avatar maybe once every 10 years or something and my outfits maybe once a quarter so I'm not a reliable source on this, in a way, but because I persist with a system avatar although I have store-bought shapes, skins, eyes and even ventured out to feet recently, maybe I'm a good subject to test this theory.

I don't like clothes shopping in RL or SL and hate dressing up and want to focus on the world -- plants, buildings, furniture, etc. I just glaze over on all the fashion/mesh body/ etc offerings and discussions.

I find this topic quickly becomes not "dressing" but "selecting from an enormous overwhelming stock of body parts" and then I really lose interest. I can't help thinking that eventually, this will stop and narrow down or become easily. Currently those making these "body parts" have a captive audience fearful of being uncool or left out and confused enough to buy lots of things to stay current -- and the merchants like it that way, and who can blame them. If they can be part of the culture that says, "You MUST have X or Y or Z body part, look, tint, shade, applier" etc, of course they will, and that's understandable. But some day it won't be like this. And even while it is like this now, you can bypass it.

... So now I had to go shopping again -- for a mesh body, something that really goes against my religion, as I am not a cannabalist and don't like to have to keep folders of body parts that I mix and match.

So first I try to look on the MP. This is IMPOSSIBLE. Go do it. You cannot find "mesh body" with the various company names to save your life. The results turn up adaptions of those things -- shapes, add-ons like scars, vampires, all kinds of "popular" things and even using closed quotes and Boolean, I simply could not pull up a screen that had X Mesh Body on it. The categories aren't helpful as they do not contain "mesh body," but only "Avatar Accessories" (not there), Full Avatars (not in the first dozen pages of search results), etc.

I think what the problem is, it's more psychological. People may not be able to bear the amount of education, trial and error, and shopping you have to do to get the skin shade or lipstick shade. I do not care about those things and I don't think anyone looking at me will care. If some seasoned oldbie eyes me in a meeting and says, hmmm, her neck shade is off compared to her head, I won't care. But people do. Even so, I don't think this is the horror envisioned. I'm really done shopping for a good log time, however, because of how the search is too hard, the choices too overwhelming. The good news is that at last, the Library avatars are tolerable and even fine, and with just a little more purchases, you can make use of the cheap stuff out there (not the freebies, generally hideous, but the gatchas).

I was beginning to think I was the only one in SL who feels this way :)

I still use the system avatar, and I don't care if other people think I look terrible, and I really don't care what other avatars are wearing either, I'm more interested in who they are or what they are saying/doing. Same as real life.   I have done a fair bit of clothes shopping in the past, for stuff I like, not what's fashionable, and I do enjoy it but  I don't like to spend too long on it. I rarely change my clothes though. I have periods of being happy in a set of clothing which I'll wear for months on end, then maybe have a change lasting another few months. Same for hair.

I did think last year that maybe I should give mesh a go, as maybe I'll see something I like better than what I have. But getting started was just so damn complicated - I watched some tutorials on Youtube and it really didn't help me feel different. In fact I realised it was more complicated than I anticipated.  (The post linked to really sums it up well) If I buy a body and head I just want to be as simple as a system avatar, which in my opinion it is not. And I don't value spending loads on how I look, I'd rather spend the money on other things like home stuff.

If this changes in future I might switch just for fun. Otherwise I'll probably be one of mabye only a handful of avatars in say 10 years time with an original system avatar lol.

Edited by Evangeline Arcadia
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SL is my total de-stress and relax plaything so I will spend hours just trying on different outfits, shopping and dancing.
And that's about it.

Plenty of laughs to be had with friends but its also a bit of a geeky thing for me. Geeky techie fun. 8^)

• Like 4

4 hours ago, monykony said:

actually is not that complicated, all you need is to take some time to check it out

this

people join (or re start) and want really everthing and all what others build up during months or even years.
That doesn't work and get disapointed to buy body 1 and head 1 ..to find out on day two there are no clothes or ad on for it.  ...bye bye L$

Like RL... you can't paint, you can't drive, you can't swim, or even cook your daily meal, without learning.

SLOW DOWN ... should be on giant billboards at all newbie places.

• Like 2

Patience and an enquiring mind, and a willingness to experiment. 

Then suddenly the curtain opens. Not BoM, obviously, I still avoid that, but mesh and appliers come naturally now. So much so that I impress myself.

Shopping remains my drug here, both MP and in store. And with five avis demanding my attention it's a megaworld of middle aged Barbie-ism.

:)

Edited by BelindaN
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I know SL has always had a learning curve and required a time commitment, but I'm really quite uncomfortable with the idea that it should be some kind of dungeon challenge where only the bravest and boldest should prevail. If you want that kind of approach to it, fine, but by its very nature it's going to lose a lot of people (that's the idea, no?) and however exercised some people get about it, there really is no moral value to staying in SL and getting mesh to work well for you. It really doesn't make one a better person.

Mesh bodies were pretty easy to figure out. It's when you start adding a head that it all goes NASA technician. It's absolutely insane. I would mind this less, because I'm not technical enough to know a better solution, but for the cultural shift that seems to have sprung up around it. We always liked to look pretty and individual, nothing wrong with that, but as I believe I've said before, the focus on looks now seems to come to the detriment of whimsy, open-mindedness and sheer friendliness. People of course have every right to associate with whomever they like, and make any rules they wish for their land, nobody disputes that. But a culture in which system avs are banned from many places, and in which numerous people wish to create environments where they need never even clap eyes on one, even if there's no need to interact at all, is going to affect the way the place hums. Personally I think it was better before, even if it wasn't as pretty.

I've been called a Luddite for this, accused of being lazy, of being stupid, of not moving with the times, of rose-tinting the past, and all the rest of it (and I do actually have a mesh body and a couple of mesh heads, though I'm still figuring out the latter two so I don't use them yet). In short, of not being brave and bold enough for the new SL, for lacking the moral fibre that it apparently now requires. It just looks like defensiveness to me and I do wonder why it upsets people quite so much to hear this criticism, especially given how completely true it is. The time investment needed now to learn how to make a fully mesh av that will pass muster more or less anywhere is crazy, especially for true newbies who weren't here the first time round. I'm sure that once you've got it, it's straightforward, but it takes time to reach that point, and honestly I'm losing patience. I'd rather be exploring; I never wanted to spend all that long on customising my av anyway.

The kicker to all of this, of course, is people then derendering and jellydolling all the other beautiful avs because they can't get the place to move otherwise. I know lag was always an issue, but for some reason, I just find this really really funny.

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

SL is like a box o' chocolates.

You take the lid off, and you pick what you like, but you don't pick everything.

Avi customisation has become a really big thing for me, developing from my shopping addiction. I know it doesn't appeal to everybody, but there are so many strands in SL it really doesn't matter. That's the dark chocolate praline.

I still explore deserted sims.  I'm still stunned by the diversity of themes and groups, and activities.

Long may SL diversity continue.

Oh, and you never know what you're gonna get.  ;)

My main beef with SL avatar customization now is the layer upon layer of incompatible, contradictory, and obsolete controls involved. Assuming you've come into possession of a reasonable Bento head, say. Now you want to do basic customization of its shape so the face looks distinctively "you"... and you do that shape customization using the classic body sliders. Kind of. Problem is, they don't all work. Not only that, different sliders work for one head than for a different model of head - even from the same creator. And then to adjust part of the shape, you use the system interface for hair -- but it doesn't actually control the hair, even though the sliders are still there. Now they control nothing. Just like the tint controls on the system skin haven't actually tinted even the system avatar skins since everybody switched to opaque skins -- yet for other things you must use the system body customization interface that includes the non-functional skin tinting. But if you do want to tint your skin... well, you might be able to do that, depending on whether it's applier or (mod vs no-mod) BoM (but maybe not on the "skin" layer), so if you can even guess the right interface to use to find a relevant control, it may or may not work with this particular combination of custom layers.

Now do Materials. Good luck.

Those of us who tracked the step-by-step accumulation of all this confusion (mostly) don't even notice it anymore... right up until the next tweak in the process. BoM for example. Some folks who claim "SL isn't all that hard just be patient" are the very ones still intimidated by BoM, which is actually a (minor) simplification.

The overhaul we need is a unified customization interface, with the same set of control plug-ins controlling the same effects regardless of which mesh is being worn. I don't know how that can happen, but until a user can be confident that every control in the interface does exactly what it says on the tin, this game is simply broken.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Those of us who tracked the step-by-step accumulation of all this confusion (mostly) don't even notice it anymore... right up until the next tweak in the process. BoM for example. Some folks who claim "SL isn't all that hard just be patient" are the very ones still intimidated by BoM, which is actually a (minor) simplification.

:::lip quivers:::

SL is hard. Sort of. Luckily I had some help as a noob, so I didn't struggle a lot, but it was still a bit challenging to learn what layer went where and when to use shirt and when to use jacket, and all of that. A learning curve, but not too bad. 

Then I left SL for a while. I came back and there were mesh clothes! It took me a while to learn about alphas, and that mesh clothes, S/M/L were all over in size, and my boobs were never big enough, and HEY! I worked on that shape and now my clothes are making me into huge boobed clones and...

Then I left SL for a while. Mesh bodies! Give me strength. I was a holdout. Same for mesh heads, same for bento. I don't like being first in getting new technology. I like to see how it effs up and how it gets fixed and read articles n stuff.

BOM is a minor simplification? ::::whaaaaaaaaa:::: Sigh. MORE fiddling around? And what did they do to the Maitreya body and ffs I feel like I should have a special SL engineering degree and spend 100 hour days figuring how to put my avatar together which means not spending 100 hours inworld doing fun stuff. BOM, I've read some articles and then I look at my Genus head and Maitreya body and just start whimpering as to how it is done.

If I had come into SL as a noob NOW? I dunno. I'd see all the fancy avatars and want to look like that. Then I'd get frustrated all to hell. I know I would. I'd spend a lot of money, get frustrated and then probably never return and hate myself for spending HOW MUCH? money.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

BOM is a minor simplification? ::::whaaaaaaaaa:::: Sigh. MORE fiddling around? And what did they do to the Maitreya body and ffs I feel like I should have a special SL engineering degree and spending 100 hour days figuring how to put my avatar together which means not spending 100 hours inworld doing fun stuff. BOM, I've read some articles and then I look at my Genus head and Maitreya body and just start whimpering as to how it is done.

BOM turned out to be a lot easier than I'd imagined, once I actually tried it. I'd suggest having a look at amara beauty BOM skins, because hers are full body skins that will go on the head and body in one piece, so are not as fiddly as dealing with head skin and body skin separately. 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1421 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.