A New Look For Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1468 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

24 minutes ago, Charlotte Bartlett said:

I love the new font... the old one was dated and it was def time for a revamp!

The old one was weird, but distinctive. Not sure it was "dated" exactly, but it was visibly from an era when logos took more liberty with typefaces. See if we can find images to compare:

Second_Life_logo.svg

The old "LIFE" slanted the tips of the "L" bottom and tops of "F" and "E", and staggered the larger initial capital in both words. The new one is no-nonsense all caps, all the same size, strokes less bold and spacing tighter between characters. The new is definitely less whimsical but also maybe less threatening, being more "normal."

But the "LIFE" now looks a lot like the masthead of LIFE magazine, once very popular in the US:LIFE_magazine_logo.svg

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

The old one was weird, but distinctive. Not sure it was "dated" exactly, but it was visibly from an era when logos took more liberty with typefaces. See if we can find images to compare:

Second_Life_logo.svg

The old "LIFE" slanted the tips of the "L" bottom and tops of "F" and "E", and staggered the larger initial capital in both words. The new one is no-nonsense all caps, all the same size, strokes less bold and spacing tighter between characters. The new is definitely less whimsical but also maybe less threatening, being more "normal."

But the "LIFE" now looks a lot like the masthead of LIFE magazine, once very popular in the US:LIFE_magazine_logo.svg

It's just a font though.  With LIFE magazine, it's just a font and with Second LIFE, it's just a font too.   So, I wonder if it was even deliberate?  But, they are the same font.  

Edited by FairreLilette

I'm just curious about the costs involved in the change, after all it was a 4 second Gimp job to fill the white with blue and remove the green ...

... I remember when my hometown's municipality changed logo, spending 2 million crowns of tax money ...

Before: 

Uppsala-gamla-logga.jpg

After:

primar.png?width=1600&quality=95&mode=Pa

Me:

8495255fc07e4358055d5877efa6f67b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

19 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I'm just curious about the costs involved in the change, after all it was a 4 second Gimp job to fill the white with blue and remove the green ...

I thought so at first too, but if you look closely some designer justified his/her existence by ever so slightly changing the eye palm. They widened the fillet and curve. They may have widened or flattened the base, too. I think that does make the "eye" read a bit better, but I could have done this on the vector art in about 5 minutes, and I don't work in vector art often. So I hope they didn't pay too much for it.

As for the change? Meh. comme ci, comme ça

Pardon the crude red markings...

Capture.JPG

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

You must have grown up in Louisiana. Or France. 

Not even close. :)

Grew up in the Mitten State and nearly flunked college French. I honestly have no idea where I first heard that, but I recall it from childhood. kittenhood.

Edited by Gatogateau
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I hope they didn't pay money for this. If they did i suggest they ask for it back, This is not even close to a positive change. 
As a designer i have to ask some questions.
How does this reflect the current branding of second life in 2020?
Are we suggesting that second life is a platform that will only subtly move forward but stay the same?
How does this function better as an ICON on a toolbar or desktop than the present logo? Frankly it is harder to read than the original in smaller detail.
What do you think of as representing the second life brand, as a player for over a decade i completely disagree with the hand motif as holding any meaning toward community or creativity. a better suggestion would be a group of people or a group of objects that would reflect the platform, a hand with an eye in it may have worked twenty years ago but as a branding in modern terms it sorely lacks meaning apart from the longevity it has enjoyed.
What you have done here is take a Zero research approach and are purely relying on the success of the platform to bolster its branding rather than the other way around, if you the designer are reading this, don't take my comments to hard, i am sure your probably agreeing with me and are just constrained by a manager who has no idea what design is. My condolences if that's the case, we have all been there, if not then well done your a better Conn-man than i could be.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 3

I think my objection to the blue (aside from the fact that I just like green better in general) is that it reminds me too much of Sansar's logo. Maybe I am too sentimental about it, but that old green hand logo meant "Second Life" to me, and I really don't see this as an improvement at all. It has no history and just means nothing to me. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I think my objection to the blue (aside from the fact that I just like green better in general) is that it reminds me too much of Sansar's logo. Maybe I am too sentimental about it, but that old green hand logo meant "Second Life" to me, and I really don't see this as an improvement at all. It has no history and just means nothing to me. 

Precisely the hand motif holds no meaning in its own right, and when you enhance something that has no meaning away from the visual relationship it has enjoyed with a product what you end up with is a meaningless branding. Imagine if you suddenly changed the coca cola logo to blue as opposed to red. The branding would loose its significance, and in that case would be at risk of being mistaken for another competitive brand Pepsi. Logos are very important in what you want to communicate to your audience. A bad logo can significantly damage a brand, a good logo can significantly bolster a brand. This change is perpetuating a bad logo that is now further distanced from the platform it represents.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1468 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.