Second Life and Adult Swim!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1428 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is probably really cool, except I have no clue what "Adult Swim" means. From the blog post and the comments I'm assuming it's a TV show. If that's the case, it reminds me of the CSI tie-in from a few years back.

wonder what type of fiasco it would cause were it conceived that everyone interested could be given an opportunity to watch the stream on a HUD or Media on a Prim instead of the 40 poor grey goblins on the region. wonder if SL has the capability/capacity to pull off that massive a stream.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

This is probably really cool, except I have no clue what "Adult Swim" means. From the blog post and the comments I'm assuming it's a TV show. If that's the case, it reminds me of the CSI tie-in from a few years back.

It’s Cartoon Network’s late night programming aimed at adults. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, animats said:

The show is some stop-motion animation thing. If the viewer gets a general-purpose feature for letting multiple people watch the same media on a prim, that's useful. We can have TVs and movie theaters that are in sync for all the viewers. Lots of opportunities for social groups there.

I'm over at Web User Group. The new feature is the ability to watch live streams via media on a prim. That doesn't work now. All viewers will have it at some point. Then SL TVs can watch live streams. That's all.

On 5/6/2020 at 6:45 AM, EnCore Mayne said:

wonder what type of fiasco it would cause were it conceived that everyone interested could be given an opportunity to watch the stream on a HUD or Media on a Prim instead of the 40 poor grey goblins on the region. wonder if SL has the capability/capacity to pull off that massive a stream.

Why would it be a problem?    Presumably you simply set a prim face to display shared media, and give it the steam's URL.   Why does that cause any particular resource issues for SL?  The shared media face is, effectively, an embedded YouTube video, isn't it, with your CPU and GPU being told to go to that URL for the content to be displayed on that particular face of that particular object.     

As I understand it, what's innovative is that SL now displays live-streams synchronised, so we can all watch the same episode of Adult Swim, or the same live-streamed concert, or the same slide in a presentation, at the same time.   

I don't see how that has any particular resource impact for LL, because I think this new ability is primarily a matter of updating the code in the viewer rather than anything server-side, though since I really don't understand much about the viewer and how it works,  I could be completely wrong.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, animats said:

I'm over at Web User Group. The new feature is the ability to watch live streams via media on a prim. That doesn't work now. All viewers will have it at some point. Then SL TVs can watch live streams. That's all.

From what I understand it allows multiple users to watch a screen together at the same time, right? To have it stay synced between them regardless of if they leave the parcel or logout and log back in.

I made that script a while back which accomplishes this but it relied on you having a really good server, the parcel's media, and of course almost everything you'd WANT to do would be illegal because you'd have to make copies and upload them to a server. It also didn't livestream. It was an mp4 on a server.

Thiers would be nicely integrated, easy to set up, and would flow from a real media streaming server I would think. Have some nice content on it after this event. Maybe a Friday / Saturday night movie? Hopefully not just public domain programming ...

Edited by Evah Baxton

2 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Why would it be a problem?    Presumably you simply set a prim face to display shared media, and give it the steam's URL.   Why does that cause any particular resource issues for SL?  The shared media face is, effectively, an embedded YouTube video, isn't it, with your CPU and GPU being told to go to that URL for the content to be displayed on that particular face of that particular object.     

As I understand it, what's innovative is that SL now displays live-streams synchronised, so we can all watch the same episode of Adult Swim, or the same live-streamed concert, or the same slide in a presentation, at the same time.   

I don't see how that has any particular resource impact for LL, because I think this new ability is primarily a matter of updating the code in the viewer rather than anything server-side, though since I really don't understand much about the viewer and how it works,  I could be completely wrong.

having the potential of 50,000 concurrent avatars viewing the stream with a massively distributed MoaP, as opposed to to one prim on one region should give rise to a considerable difference in scale. i guess. i'm no wizard, just wondering why they traditionally limit themselves to providing to a collection of avatars within a known laggy environment. who knows? perhaps it's impossible. certainly not unfathomable to improve the experience.

No real interest in the subject matter but if it is a way to sync - that in itself is damned neat. If it becomes available to all then - after all these years nothing that residents manage to achieve with the given tools surprises me - and I mean that in a 100% positive way. Amazed still.

4 hours ago, EnCore Mayne said:

having the potential of 50,000 concurrent avatars viewing the stream with a massively distributed MoaP, as opposed to to one prim on one region should give rise to a considerable difference in scale. i guess. i'm no wizard, just wondering why they traditionally limit themselves to providing to a collection of avatars within a known laggy environment. who knows? perhaps it's impossible. certainly not unfathomable to improve the experience.

Each viewer is a web browser playing the stream.  Prims are just a method to distribute URLs. (Web links)

1 hour ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

No real interest in the subject matter but if it is a way to sync - that in itself is damned neat. If it becomes available to all then - after all these years nothing that residents manage to achieve with the given tools surprises me - and I mean that in a 100% positive way. Amazed still.

Synchronizing playback of items in published video library isn't to focus of this CEF update.  (ex.: YouTube videos)

Providing the ability to play live streams is the focus of this CEF update. (ex.: Picarto.tv live streams)

• Thanks 2

• Community Manager

@Encore Sorry you weren't able to make it. The first screening was at capacity within a minute of opening. However, the screening has continued each hour and there has been room for anyone who wants to get in for subsequent showings. It continues until 9 p.m. ET so keep trying! Also, make sure to use the correct viewer. Thanks for attempting to attend!

AS-Screening-1.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Linden Lab said:

@Encore Sorry you weren't able to make it. The first screening was at capacity within a minute of opening. However, the screening has continued each hour and there has been room for anyone who wants to get in for subsequent showings. It continues until 9 p.m. ET so keep trying! Also, make sure to use the correct viewer. Thanks for attempting to attend!

haha. made it in the very next attempt after i posted my failure. stayed for the chat (was on FS so i couldn't get the media stream)  and eventually sent in my alt on a fully compatible laptop. only a couple of crashes later i was able to settle in and watch the psychosis that is Shivering Truth play out until i was revulsed enough to bail.

damn. them there some odd folk no?

all in all it was a great show. technically as perfect as SL gets. hopefully the Adult Swim people were pleased. it was a happening! thanks LL for pulling this off. more?

• Like 2

On 5/5/2020 at 10:36 PM, Maitimo said:

iIthink it's an entire station.  I used to watch Futurama on it and I think they mostly showed cartoons

Not "is happening", but "happened".

For those playing catch-up:

• Adult Swim is the late-night adult programming shown on Cartoon Network.
  • There was an in-world event at which the second season of Adult Swim's show The Shivering Truth premiered as a live stream in SL.  More info: https://www.pastemagazine.com/comedy/adult-swim/adult-swim-virtual-screening-second-life/
  • Much excitement because not only was it a premiere of a popular TV show, but it showed off a new capability...the ability to stream video media into SL in such a way that everyone can see it in sync at the same time.  You had to download a special viewer to see it, so it's not an SL-wide thing.  Yet.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1428 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.