Second Life Name Changes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1450 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Good day everyone,

I'm just curious...since LL is now allowing people to change their names in Second Life, coupled with the fact that it costs you $40USD to do it... has anyone actually done it? If so, what name did you choose?

I don't have to, fortunately, but wondering if people are.

• Like 1

If you see anyone with one of the last names on the available list (like Pancake, Takeda, etc), then you know they've changed it. Whenever I see one of those names inworld or whatever, they stand out to me. Surprisingly there are many.

• Like 1

I'm perfectly happy with this avi's name. Although I would like to change the name of my alt, or reasons. The snag is that my alt is basic, and I can't justify paying for a month at minimum, plus the fee to change the name, and another $8 in VAT. So, I haven't, and won't, unless or until the requirements for eligibility are changed. 

9 hours ago, Tex Monday said:

has anyone actually done it?

Many more than I expected. I see new names constantly in every group, on my contact list and at every venue I visit. Sure, on the one hand its confirmation bias because I'm looking, but seriously, it's very popular. I sarcastically quipped "I'm sure LL knows what they're about" in response to the $40 price tag many months ago. I have to admit that in this case clearly they did.

Edited by missyrideout

I'm planning to do it when I have a chance to.  If you want I can let you know first hand how well it goes.

Miss having a last name, and I do like some of what have come up,  the last last name I ever had was Blooberry or something stupid like that.

13 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

if you'r not sure if it's a new name, look at their age (slnamewatch for oldies) and under 10 yr it's unlikely a real legacy

11 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

People who signed up before the change to a one-name username...before 2010 or so.  Like LittleMe Jewell, or Lindal Kidd.  We have "legacy" last names.

Actually I think it's closer to 6 or 7 years. I had the "real thing" and I'm not 10 years in. 

Edited by Paul Hexem
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Actually I think it's closer to 6 or 7 years. I had the "real thing" and I'm not 10 years in. 

It was indeed 2010, but for some while after legacy names were officially discontinued, it was still possible to get one by signing up via one of the third-party sign-up hubs such as Virtual Ability. The number of such hubs dwindled over time and the last one could well have made it two or three years after, before they all disappeared completely. They were each limited to a small selection of the final list and each hub's selection was different, so people would choose a hub based on which last name they wanted.

And to answer the OP's question, I changed mine... to "Maitimo Resident". Yes, I had a legacy name, and I paid $48 to get rid of it, because I REALLY wanted this first name, and the only last name I really want to go with it can't ever be used because it's owned by the Tolkien Estate.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Maitimo said:
52 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

It was indeed 2010, but for some while after legacy names were officially discontinued, it was still possible to get one by signing up via one of the third-party sign-up hubs such as Virtual Ability.

I'm positive I didn't use a third party source, so it must have been the end of 2010 if you're right. 

Like December or January 2011. My join date is November 2010. 

Edited by Paul Hexem

15 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

I'm positive I didn't use a third party source, so it must have been the end of 2010 if you're right. 

Like December or January 2011. My join date is November 2010. 

During August 2010, Linden Lab held its annual convention for residents. Users from all over gathered and anxiously waited to hear what LL had in store after all the recent craziness. Philip took the stage and announced a number of changes they expected to hit the grid within the year. Among the important features they anticipated rolling out came word that they would be allowing the use of 'display names' and retiring the traditional first and last name system from use. Instead, new users would sign up with a single username and all of them would be given the same last name: Resident.

The feature rolled out in November 2010. General grumbling was heard from all over the bloggosphere.

I changed my ‘resident’ name and am very glad to have done so. Like Maitimo I had to pay $48 to do so courtesy of VAT, but as I was already a premium account I at least didn’t have to pay additionally for that.

I don’t miss my old name which few people could type without a mistake. This was originally just an alt a/c for RP purposes so made full use of the display name facility, but as time passed I found myself spending more and more time just on this a/c and it ended up with all the ‘cool toys’ as I stopped purchasing for the other accounts.

I have other accounts that have the old legacy names, but it’s unlikely I’d ever consider changing any of them. I do however, have another ‘resident’ a/c that is currently premium, and should another family name come along that I like, may very well take advantage of the facility once again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I still find it hilarious that for 40 bucks, you can change your last name to Resident, as a placeholder for nothingness--a service for pre-2010 residents who want the opposite of what post-2010 residents want: no Last Name at all.

I could have made an alt with the required name, I guess. So what I have effectively paid for is the equivalent of making a free alt and transferring my entire inventory to it, including no-transfer items. Obviously that's not possible, and that's why I didn't want to waste this name on an alt. By paying the bucks, I get the name AND keep my inventory.

If I could have created a single-name (no last name) account in 2008 I would have done exactly that. But that wasn't allowed in 2008.

• Like 3

I did, the short of the story was years ago my cousin Sassy sent me an email about becoming identical cousins on SL, she is as bad with english grammar as myself...a decade later things were fixed😉

11 hours ago, Maitimo said:

I could have made an alt with the required name, I guess. So what I have effectively paid for is the equivalent of making a free alt and transferring my entire inventory to it, including no-transfer items. Obviously that's not possible, and that's why I didn't want to waste this name on an alt. By paying the bucks, I get the name AND keep my inventory.

this makes sense to me

1 minute ago, kiramanell said:

I never understood this whole artificial 'Resident' non-sense to begin with. To distinguish me from what? A bot? If you couldn't tell the normal way, then either there was something very wrong with you... or with me. 🤪

I've seen some pretty impressive bot scripting over the last couple of years when it comes to trying to get websites and shizz out to people.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1450 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.