Second Life Name Changes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, kiramanell said:

I never understood this whole artificial 'Resident' non-sense to begin with. To distinguish me from what? A bot? If you couldn't tell the normal way, then either there was something very wrong with you... or with me. 🤪

I imagine the Resident thing was a workaround since the entire system was built on having a first and last name, and SL is a complete mess of legacy code that is in danger at any moment of completely coming undone and falling in on itself.

• Like 3

I didn’t change this avatar’s name because none of the last names felt right, but I may in the future when other names roll out. 

I did, however, change another avatar’s name to one of the new names and trimmed off some of the first name. It was quick and painless and I have no regrets. I also changed to one of the new log cabins from an old plot during the process, and it’s looking pretty spiffy as well! 

• Like 1

I did, obviously looking at my name. I did have a legacy account (Greenwood), which I abandoned and is no longer accessible to me. I paid to update the name for this alt because I wanted my name, Hippolyta, and because I like the idea of having a last name. It was important enough to me to pay the fee.

• Like 2

On 5/6/2020 at 8:17 AM, Alwin Alcott said:

During August 2010, Linden Lab held its annual convention for residents. Users from all over gathered and anxiously waited to hear what LL had in store after all the recent craziness. Philip took the stage and announced a number of changes they expected to hit the grid within the year. Among the important features they anticipated rolling out came word that they would be allowing the use of 'display names' and retiring the traditional first and last name system from use. Instead, new users would sign up with a single username and all of them would be given the same last name: Resident.

The feature rolled out in November 2010. General grumbling was heard from all over the bloggosphere.

God damn whoever wrote that must love hearing their own voice

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.