Last Names - Finally Here

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1338 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Amelia Mitchell said:

Anyhow, no one has contacted me from LL to let me know that I won or something so...

that the name is used doesn't mean it won , just a few very strange "handpicked" names/ users were selected.
Pretty sure it was in the fineprint that all contributions got owned by LL as soon it was sended.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Do you have hard data on that compared to residents trying to figure out what variation of Theresa1256 HASNT been taken in the modern age?. If anything, having a last name allowed for greater name customisation. To sign up for an account right now and successfully pick an unused name you would have to open a Sumerian dictionary, throw darts at it and hope the combination of words hasn’t already been used. Then if that fails, switch over to the Mayan calendar and add a couple of baktuns on the end and hope for the best. Back then there were way less “IHaveNoCreativity7383837”

Funny thing - if you look through names you can find quite a few "ThereAreNoGoodNames [LASTNAME]" from the Good Old Days. Meanwhile, the true newbies on this forum (plenty of them in the "Your Avatar section," for instance) usually don't have meaningless numbers after their names. Perhaps because they're used to coming up with unique single-word usernames from the kajillion other things they sign up for, and they're not used to picking a last name from a nutbar list.

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Probably in there for the Gor fappers. See muscular guys walking round SL dressed as Conan The Barbarian with the name “Slave Huntsman” and being far too daft to realise that the name might not be sending out the message they wanted it to

If no one gets 'Man Huntsman' I will be most disappointed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Probably in there for the Gor fappers. See muscular guys walking round SL dressed as Conan The Barbarian with the name “Slave Huntsman” and being far too daft to realise that the name might not be sending out the message they wanted it to

It's code for "I couldn't find the c******s if I were guided there by Kenton Cool". Their Glorious Leader averages about 50000000000 words in each book to say exactly the same thing, so they should be commended for their brevity. 

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:
1 hour ago, Amelia Mitchell said:

Anyhow, no one has contacted me from LL to let me know that I won or something so...

that the name is used doesn't mean it won , just a few very strange "handpicked" names/ users were selected.
Pretty sure it was in the fineprint that all contributions got owned by LL as soon it was sended.

Per multiple other posts, apparently everyone that submitted a name that was chosen for this first batch is getting a free name change (even though they original said only the 5 or 8 'winners').

Here is the first post that mentioned it:

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Morgganna Valeska said:

I wanted to change my name to my husbands last name, we are also married in rl now, but it isn't available.  How come? We both chose our names over 11 years ago but it isn't on the list. :(

The names that are available now are new. They are not bringing back old names. If you want to match,  the two of you will need to pick a new name and both change to it. 

Wonder how long scripted stuff will keep showing old names in menus. Avsitter based furniture for example, but so far I see all scripted items still use old names and not just in my case, but also for other people who did change theirs. Live chat support had no clue, so they made a ticket for me. Based on today's RC roll and fixes there ( https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/simulator/2020-04-10T18%3A39%3A41.540037.html ), it could be up to a week, if it's that case. But if it's a different issue, then hopefully they sort it out soon too.

Edited by steeljane42

33 minutes ago, steeljane42 said:

Wonder how long scripted stuff will keep showing old names in menus. Avsitter based furniture for example, but so far I see all scripted items still use old names and not just in my case, but also for other people who did change theirs. Live chat support had no clue, so they made a ticket for me. Based on today's RC roll and fixes there ( https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/simulator/2020-04-10T18%3A39%3A41.540037.html ), it could be up to a week, if it's that case. But if it's a different issue, then hopefully they sort it out soon too.

The FAQ mentions that it may take up to 24 hours to be reflected everywhere.  

If a scripted item pulls a name when it first rezzes and doesn't re-pull the name, then you might need to reset script or re-rez the item.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Morgganna Valeska said:

I wanted to change my name to my husbands last name, we are also married in rl now, but it isn't available.  How come? We both chose our names over 11 years ago but it isn't on the list. :(

The only option to change to a legacy name is if you already have that last name, change your name, and want to change back to it, which is silly, but at least you don't permanently lose the last name you originally had.

2020-04-13_17-02-58.jpg

Edited by Cristiano Midnight
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

The only option to change to a legacy name is if you already have that last name, change your name, and want to change back to it, which is silly, but at least you don't permanently lose the last name you originally had.

2020-04-13_17-02-58.jpg

Ok, "Cristiano Crisp"!!!

No, seriously! Hear me out!

It's great! It's got alliteration, and assonance! It's edgy and cool and very au courant!

You'd be "Cris Crisp"!!! IT'S PERFECT!!!!

And, you know, after a while, you could always change back to that boring old "Midnight."

I mean, if you really wanted to.

But you wouldn't!!

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The FAQ mentions that it may take up to 24 hours to be reflected everywhere.  

If a scripted item pulls a name when it first rezzes and doesn't re-pull the name, then you might need to reset script or re-rez the item.

Yeah, I know about FAQ, so I did wait around 30 hours before asking the live chat. Now it's about 40 hours already and it still didn't updated on that part. Not just for me, but for everyone who had the name change. You can go check Apple Fall store for example (creator/owner also changed name), but if you sit on any furniture there it still shows his old "resident" name in menu where you choose poses/settings.

Update: Here's how it looks like on his example.

1.PNG.2f2f8b6a0cdf604bcf80cd0e7d3bf7df.PNG

it's also not limited to just rezzed items, same for the scripted attachments, like that "what is she wearing" hud for example. I also got a few new items yesterday (when it was over 24 hours since the name change too) and rezzing/wearing them for the first time ever still pulled the old name.

No response to the ticket yet (which is fine, not like it's an urgent issue), so I have no new info to share as well.

3 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I guess that depends on the script.  Here you can see my alt's new name in the menu.

WhatIsSheWearing.JPG.ea682aa60ecce13fece09d13a0ab2e4a.JPG

It shouldn't take long for everything to update if the account is not online at the time of change.

I meant the part on top, where it shows your name on every scripted item. So Rhonda Huntress' *item name* in your case. I can see my new name on scan list as well, but on that top left part it still shows the old one. Same for a few other people I did test it with.

Edited by steeljane42
added a picture
  • Like 1

Before people jump on this somewhat overpriced option, better make sure any vendors you've used will be able to work for updates or re-deliveries. I can't imagine many content creators are going to be willing to do manual updates for everyone who does this if those break.

8 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The very definition of stalker creep.

I can look up current username ABC to get their UUID, but I cannot use that UUID to get a list of previous usernames.

If I want to know about person XYZ and there is not current person called that, then I can look up their UUID and then get the current username associated with the UUID.  Someone stalking XYZ can use that to find their current username to continue their stalking. 

Person XYZ might think that by changing their username, they are making a clean escape from their stalker.  Unfortunately, LL cannot fully remove that particular tracing ability.

It's a balance between their privacy and yours. Also consider that if somebody changes their name, that name might be available for another to use and they would have no way of knowing the past history of said name. The UUID has to remain the same or it would be a new account for all intents and purposes which would break giving content updates and re-deliveries. There will probably be issues with that as is.

On 4/14/2020 at 3:35 PM, RealLoveit said:
Why do premium members have to pay for name changes when we pay you all $99 a year? I feel as though basic members should be the ones paying $39.99 for the name changes and premium members get that option free for the first time due to the fact we already pay for OUR premium membership.

Perhaps it will be free for the upcoming super premium account level. We'll have to wait and see.

On 4/14/2020 at 1:32 PM, Oz Linden said:

We believe we've provided all the capability that a merchant, script, or external system needs to be able to determine whether or not a given account is the same as one that previously used another name (for Marketplace there is literally nothing they need to do). Doing that does not require that we give everyone the ability to read your name change history, which is otherwise no one elses business.

I would like to think you ran some sort of beta test with the Casper systems before enabling this for everyone since if that broke it would have a huge impact on the grid given how widespread it's use is.

9 minutes ago, Crim Mip said:

It's a balance between their privacy and yours. Also consider that if somebody changes their name, that name might be available for another to use and they would have no way of knowing the past history of said name. The UUID has to remain the same or it would be a new account for all intents and purposes which would break giving content updates and re-deliveries. There will probably be issues with that as is.

SL Names are NEVER made available for use by anyone other than the person that has already used it.  I am aware of no exceptions to this and we have been told there will be no exceptions.

1 hour ago, Crim Mip said:

It's a balance between their privacy and yours.

Yeah, definitely a balance, but some of the less knowledgeable about how SL works under the covers might think they can escape a stalker by simply doing a name change.

1 hour ago, Crim Mip said:

Also consider that if somebody changes their name, that name might be available for another to use and they would have no way of knowing the past history of said name.

We do already know that one you have a name, it will always belong to you in your history and nobody else will ever be able to use that name.  LL has stated that many times throughout their development process.

2 hours ago, steeljane42 said:

Yeah, I know about FAQ, so I did wait around 30 hours before asking the live chat. Now it's about 40 hours already and it still didn't updated on that part. Not just for me, but for everyone who had the name change. You can go check Apple Fall store for example (creator/owner also changed name), but if you sit on any furniture there it still shows his old "resident" name in menu where you choose poses/settings.

Update: Here's how it looks like on his example.

1.PNG.2f2f8b6a0cdf604bcf80cd0e7d3bf7df.PNG

it's also not limited to just rezzed items, same for the scripted attachments, like that "what is she wearing" hud for example. I also got a few new items yesterday (when it was over 24 hours since the name change too) and rezzing/wearing them for the first time ever still pulled the old name.

No response to the ticket yet (which is fine, not like it's an urgent issue), so I have no new info to share as well.

I meant the part on top, where it shows your name on every scripted item. So Rhonda Huntress' *item name* in your case. I can see my new name on scan list as well, but on that top left part it still shows the old one. Same for a few other people I did test it with.

One of two possibilities:  Either the scripted item is not properly setting the name based on the UUID and instead is retaining the original username it set -- or there truly is a bug in the LL code.  

Besides your support ticket, you might want to open a JIRA.

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Ok, "Cristiano Crisp"!!!

No, seriously! Hear me out!

It's great! It's got alliteration, and assonance! It's edgy and cool and very au courant!

You'd be "Cris Crisp"!!! IT'S PERFECT!!!!

And, you know, after a while, you could always change back to that boring old "Midnight."

I mean, if you really wanted to.

But you wouldn't!!

While it doesn't have the alliteration, Cristiano Banana is more on brand. I did kind of like Cristiano Cloud though. Still, I am not giving up the FIC AF Midnight name.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

Still, I am not giving up the FIC AF Midnight name.

Good point.

When you're a Vanderbilt or a Carnegie, and have the ears of the gods, you're hardly going to choose to go by "Smith," are you?

But you'll always be a "Crisp" to me.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

One of two possibilities:  Either the scripted item is not properly setting the name based on the UUID and instead is retaining the original username it set -- or there truly is a bug in the LL code.  

Besides your support ticket, you might want to open a JIRA.

It's probably either a week of waiting time for some stuff, that was mentioned in RCs roll, or a bug. Since so far I didn't found a single scripted item that actually shows new name in that menu. Furniture (not all av sitter based, some older/different systems too), resizer scripts, random/unique things with custom scripts, houses' menus, vendors (for store owners who did change theirs as well) etc, all pull out old names for people who changed theirs. Would be most weird if not a single script was set right.

And I did ask chat support about making a JIRA, operator said there's no need to yet.

Edited by steeljane42

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1338 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.