could coronavirus be a good opportunity for sl

JahPorka

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1641 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

How about this:

"could coronavirus be a good opportunity for sl"

Maybe, but could it be an opportunity for the sick?  Absolutely!

Maybe. That would be silly, but at least somewhat less tasteless and tone deaf.

But what was actually said was this:

11 hours ago, JahPorka said:

could be more time for them to join or rejoin sl and spend their money here

Opportunity knocks, I guess?

18 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Might have taken that too far - apologies if I did.  I promise, it's not an attack

It's all good. We're having a discussion, and we disagree! I've been told it happens here sometimes!

• Like 1

I actually wrote a blogpost recently about how a potential coronavirus pandemic could both help and hurt virtual reality, including social VR platforms, and virtual worlds such as Second Life:

https://ryanschultz.com/2020/02/16/how-a-potential-coronavirus-pandemic-will-help-and-hurt-virtual-reality-in-2020/

As a bonus, I provide a list of good, credible, authoritative sources of information about the coronavirus situation. Stay informed and stay healthy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JahPorka said:

people might get quarnatined and have to stay indoors

Yeah, about that....  The answer is, of course, no.  What money?  Anyone quarantined or sick is, well, sick.  Any money or savings they had is oaid to the hospital and they are not working to make more.  So. pocket money for that mesh body is out.  I can reach really far and say it's an opportunity for those at the The Lab to profit from feeling good about themselves for providing a platform for escape.  It wouldn't be monetary unless people inworld want to donate.

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
spelling, commas, extra word. The usual

15 hours ago, JahPorka said:

people might get quarnatined and have to stay indoors

Kinda ghoulish thinking.  Ergo, I like it!  Never let a crisis go unexploited.

I'm not sure about SL, but I HAVE noticed a LOT more Chinese players on Zynga poker over the last few weeks, and it did make we wonder if it was related to the outbreak.

Stay healthy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Yeah, about that....  The answer is, of course, no.  What money?  Anyone quarantined or sick is, well, sick.  Any money or savings they had is oaid to the hospital and they are not working to make more.  So. pocket money for that mesh body is out.  I can reach really far and say it's an opportunity for those at the The Lab to profit from feeling good about themselves for providing a platform for escape.  It wouldn't be monetary unless people inworld want to donate.

Entire cities are on lockdown - the sick and not sick, and often avoiding the hospital.  They all need something to do, and it's been weeks.

I think you're thinking more short term than the OP probably is.  Millions of Chinese (and coming soon to a nation near you, no doubt) are stuck at home on the internet looking for something to do.  If they find and decide they like SL now, then even if they don't have money to spend now, they may keep coming when they DO have money to spend.

Maybe a good time to create some nice mesh Chinese bodies, hair, etc.

• Like 2

In what world do you guys think the average Chinese citizen would be allowed to even think of SecondLife?

I think y’all forget it’s literally a communist dystopia outside of the major cities, nobody in China is playing SL.

Let alone right now while half the nation is panicking over this disease, people are dying, and entire towns and cities are being locked down and quarantined 

4 hours ago, cheesecurd said:

In what world do you guys think the average Chinese citizen would be allowed to even think of SecondLife?

I think y’all forget it’s literally a communist dystopia outside of the major cities, nobody in China is playing SL.

Let alone right now while half the nation is panicking over this disease, people are dying, and entire towns and cities are being locked down and quarantined 

More than half of all people in China now live in cities, and those who have made it above factory drone level lead surprisingly Western lives, thanks largely to the reforms which make their economy far more capitalistic.  I'm reasonably sure you can access SL from China, but I never tried when I visited myself.

I'm no fan of communism, but say what you will, the communist government keeps the peasants fed, which is better than what they generally had before.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

I'm no fan of communism, but say what you will, the communist government keeps the peasants fed, which is better than what they generally had before.

Ever hear the quote “I would rather die standing than live on my knees”?

Defending that absolute nightmare of a nation, even minorly as that, is absolutely disgusting.

Theres a reason all the major cities want out, and that reason is somewhere along the lines of the retaliation being gunning people down in the street.

There is no SL in China, it’s simply not allowed, it’s one of those things that exposes the people to a bit too much freedom. American game mainly played by Americans and all that.

26 minutes ago, cheesecurd said:

Defending that absolute nightmare of a nation, even minorly as that, is absolutely disgusting.

Theres a reason all the major cities want out, and that reason is somewhere along the lines of the retaliation being gunning people down in the street.

There is no SL in China, it’s simply not allowed, it’s one of those things that exposes the people to a bit too much freedom. American game mainly played by Americans and all that.

Yes, but you will not die standing when you starve to death.  There is an old saying - starving people do not care about freedom of speech.  Or, " A hungry man can’t see right or wrong. He just sees food. ~ Pearl S. Buck " 

Not sure if you've spent time in China, but I have and it's hardly a nightmare.  North Korea, sure, but not China.  Most of the people I have met and spoken to there understand that they are not as free as people in the West, but they also understand that 30 years ago, their parents were subsistence farmers in the countryside and today their children will go to college and have opportunity to join the middle class, or better.  That is progress, and significant progress, to them.  And, it hasn't come from Communism, and everyone there understands this. 

Recognizing truth should never be thought of as disgusting, and recognizing the accomplishments of your opponents is not defending them.image.png.70ae6c769ddf21005886263340ab37b3.pngimage.png.70ae6c769ddf21005886263340ab37b3.pngimage.png.70ae6c769ddf21005886263340ab37b3.png

If you wish to provide a source for your insistence you cannot access SL form China, feel free.  The only things I can find on it suggest you can, or at least could, as this is dated.

image.png.70ae6c769ddf21005886263340ab37b3.png

• Like 2

On 2/21/2020 at 10:28 AM, cheesecurd said:

Second Life is not a game it's a virtual world. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/21/2020 at 5:05 AM, cheesecurd said:

I have met a few Chinese people, living in China, in SL.

• Like 2

On 2/21/2020 at 1:03 AM, Tarina Sewell said:

WTF is wrong with you?

There's something to say about the boredom of having to stay in a confined space for weeks or months--in a quarantine facility hosted by a military base, or worse, in a small cabin of a cruise ship. Having a laptop and spending your time in a virtual world interacting with other people doesn't sound like a bad option at all in such a situation.

Of course people are dying of this disease. But having access to a virtual environment may just be the solution to keeping people sane during quarantine. Access to SL may not be a mere frivolous luxury but actually a much-needed form of distraction.

• Like 2

Now for something completely different.

I think the OP dropped a troll bomb and never looked back.. hehehehe

ExplosionChaplinCliche.jpg

Still,it's good conversation..

I came home last night from work and now with the flu, or what I think is the flu.......:o...... We'll see if my SL log in time goes up or down..

hehehehe

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

miracle

37 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

The Olympics are in danger of being cancelled.

C01E50CC-D08E-479F-AEE3-FADAA43298C9.jpeg.778c3b9278f5d43365dbdffe5bb75638.jpeg

Why are you giggling?

I didn't realize that was a real name and thought it was made up for twitter or some place..

I was almost scared to search it on google..But actually,just information about him came up.. That's like a miracle that name stayed off the radar on the internet..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There is a new symptom for the virus which travels to the forehead leaving what looks like a big black smudge..

If you see anyone with this symptom,don't be like these guys and not tell him.. Let them know so they can get help fast and stay as far away as you can..you should see them coming a mile away..

• Haha 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1641 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.