could coronavirus be a good opportunity for sl

JahPorka

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1482 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Staying home seems to be a trend.  lnstead of going out, people stay home and stream shows on their TVs.  Instead of going and spending an hour in a restaurant they just get takeout and eat at home.  Shopping malls are closing all over because we would rather shop from home.  I could even let someone else do my grocery shopping and just pull up to the curb to load it in. 

If SL is going to get a boost from staying home, it may already have happened.  Perhaps quarantine facilities could supply laptops with SL preloaded.

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
Ugh, spelling
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

There are lots of reasons why malls are dying, from the rise of online shopping and some retailers' slow adaptation to the middle class shrinking and younger people, struggling to pay off student loans and find affordable housing, not having the money to spend on shiny new things.

Filmmaker and producer Dan Bell knows dead malls — since 2014, he's been documenting these crumbling bastions of consumerism. It started with Bell wanting to explore malls he remembered from his childhood in Maryland, but "gradually it got to a point where I was like, maybe I should start filming them and putting them on YouTube as a digital archive," he told The Week.

The rise of the mall came in the 1980s, a time of "yuppie excess and money and spending as much money as you could," Bell said. "Malls sort of reflect that. The upscale malls, especially from that era, have the gaudiest glamour possible — brass, palm trees, and neon. ... Nothing can exemplify the era better."

Malls now have a completely different meaning than they did 30 years ago, when people — especially teenagers — went to meet friends, go on dates, and just hang out. "Today, there is no social meaning to a mall," Bell said. "It's not the center of the community anymore. We have Facebook now, and Instagram and Twitter. Mall-age people now hang out on Facebook all day, complaining and taking pictures of their food. ... You used to take your pictures to the mall and ***** about things at the mall with friends. We've digitized the food court."

https://theweek.com/articles/859739/meet-man-keeping-americas-dead-malls-alive

I recently had the flu and was in bed for a week. I didn't have the strength, energy or even desire to log into SL. What makes anyone think being ill with coronavirus is any less debilitating than the "normal" flu can be? If it had just been a bad, flu like cold, I would/could have logged in every day or even a mild case of flu. 

SL will be the last thing on the minds of people suffering with COVID-19.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Eva Knoller said:

I love Dan Bell!  @Selene Gregoire Do you watch his videos? I think I’ve seen every dead mall series video of his on You Tube.

Sorry, no. I know about him from reading articles. I can't watch things that are a part of the larger picture of what I see happening every day, within the US and around the world. 

2 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I recently had the flu and was in bed for a week. I didn't have the strength, energy or even desire to log into SL. What makes anyone think being ill with coronavirus is any less debilitating than the "normal" flu can be? If it had just been a bad, flu like cold, I would/could have logged in every day or even a mild case of flu. 

SL will be the last thing on the minds of people suffering with COVID-19.

Yes, but...I think the OP was thinking of all the people who are not actually sick, but are quarantined.  Either involuntarily (they might have been exposed) or voluntarily (I don't want to go out and risk getting exposed).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Yes, but...I think the OP was thinking of all the people who are not actually sick, but are quarantined.  Either involuntarily (they might have been exposed) or voluntarily (I don't want to go out and risk getting exposed).

I would think they would have more important things to worry about but... *looks around* it is SL. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As someone who lives in the heart of America's most densely populated city, I am truly scared

SL has been helping cope with my anxiety from the real world right now. Mind you I am not a very active Resident due to my schedule in real life.

God forbid we go into a lockdown I will most definitely be online trying to keep myself busy!

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Tarina Sewell said:

WTF is wrong with you?

I'm kind of with Tarina on this one.

People are actually dying. And the ripple effects of this are wreaking havoc on the lives of millions in all sorts of nasty ways.

It seems, to say the least, bad taste to speculate as to whether a revisitation of the kind of horror that was the Spanish Influenza epidemic might be "good for business."

• Like 9

31 minutes ago, Tarina Sewell said:

WTF is wrong with you?

25 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

People are actually dying. And the ripple effects of this are wreaking havoc on the lives of millions in all sorts of nasty ways.

It seems, to say the least, bad taste to speculate as to whether a revisitation of the kind of horror that was the Spanish Influenza epidemic might be "good for business."

This was my reaction too; makes me feel better to think was only person going like WTF? I think seriously be last thing on your mind but that just my two cents and won't say no more because frankly I'm opinionated and firey enough without adding any fuel.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This. Just this.

The Coronavirus is good for absolutely, positively nothing. Over 2,000 deaths and we are discussing a benefit to business? Really?!

Nascar driver Denny Hamlin won the Daytona 500 after fellow driver Ryan Newman was critically injuried. He stopped celebrating once he learned of the severity.

Some folks need to take notes. Some things matter. Some things...just don't.

• Like 4

I don't think there is anything wrong with having a thought project in General Discussion.  A what-if discussion doesn't necessarily mean someone is completely uncaring or disconnected from the realities of a deadly disease.  No one wants people to die so SL can grow.  

People discuss having fun escape-type games in hospitals all the time.  I don't see this as any different.  In my opinion it is nothing to attack the OP over.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

A what-if discussion doesn't necessarily mean someone is completely uncaring or disconnected from the realities of a deadly disease.

There is no "what if" here, Cinnamon. This isn't "Hey, what if the zombie apocalypse happened? Would zombie games be more or less popular in SL?"

It is a thing that is happening now. 2,250 people have died. More, probably many more, will die. Over 75,000 people have been infected. Literally half of the population of China are under some form of quarantine or travel restriction.

Exactly how many dead people do we need to see before this ceases to be a "hypothetical"?

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 3

I just don't see the post as hoping a bunch of people fall ill so they'll sign up.  No one appears to be glorifying infection.  Should kids sick with cancer be prevented from escapist fun because they might die in a few months or are they encouraged to keep themselves active even if they are stuck in bed?  Can we talk about options or is it in bad taste because someone thinks we are indifferent to the suffering of others  by even talking about it.  They should just suffer in silence and wait to die after all.  We could sweep the mental well being of the sick or dying into an unseen corner and offer people nothing instead of even talking about it, I suppose.  That doesn't seem like a good option.   Perhaps it was the mention that SL could make money that was focused on.  I chose to focus on something different after reading the replies.  

What would you offer the suffering?

Might have taken that too far - apologies if I did.  I promise, it's not an attack

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
spelling, commas, extra word. The usual
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1482 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.