You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1527 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Edit: Scrolling through a lot of you are missing the point of this post... I'm asking if YOU ever thought of doing something like this, I want to know the whys if so not the full detail to reveal yourself.  Just a question that's been on my mind as of late.

No, I'm not asking you to out yourself or give information on your main or even alts that you may have.  I just want to see the general thoughts on doing this.

So.  My account is nearly 8/9 years old at this point, I've acquired a lot of items over my time that I've... Never deleted for the most part because they were exclusives from hunts or once a month shopping things like Colab88.

I've been thinking.. Maybe I should restart, start fresh with a new name and just.. Leave this behind.

But then I think about all the rare gachas I've gotten and it becomes difficult, sone of those aren't available anymore or the rares that I have don't drop all that often unlike others.   And then the amount Id have to put in at first to look at least half way decent before exploring again or even hiding out in sims I've become a fixture in..

Discussion questions: How many of you have done or thought of doing this? (Starting a new account completely.)

Do you keep the old account for nostalgia reasons? (I would.. I also use this account to sell Gachas I don't want to keep.)

How do you feel about others doing this exact thing, Do you know anyone who has?

Edited by Lavaliere
Clarifications.
  • Like 2

It's never crossed my mind to delete this account in order to start another.

I keep this account because it has my history, my oldest friends, and my character (as well as all the things, and those were an afterthought just now).

Why should I care what others do?  I wouldn't say if I knew someone who had because it's their business not anyone else's.

My advice is to create an alt and use only that for a while, not visiting old haunts, not contacting anyone you know, and trying to be a different person.  Then make up your mind.

[Edit] For some reason your first paragraph wasn't visible when I posted, but I've no changes to make to what I said.

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Why exactly do you want to start a new account? Because you have "too much stuff?" Seems absurd to me.

And I'm not saying that creating new accounts is absurd -- I have many. I have a couple I use for entirely separate circles of friends each, but I also catch names I like. For example, "llScriptProfiler" (a real LSL function) and "Bonkable" (you can figure it out) are both avatars I own because the names are clever or amusing.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This account is not my original main, though it is now and the original main is pretty much relegated to just contributing tier to my land group.  Lil was created about 3-4 months after my original main because I wanted to have an account that went in a different direction than my main.  Lil ended up getting involved in the forums and an inworld Forum group, and ultimately just sort of took over and became the main account.

I can't imagine starting over at this point - Lil has a large enough inventory that I just don't want to toss it.  I don't do role playing, so I don't need any accounts for that.   All of my other accounts exist to either own Linden Homes or contribute tier to the land group or a few special accounts specifically for testing things.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you feel like creating an alt, go ahead and give it a try.  There are practical reasons for having an alt - using an alt as a co-owner (and 2nd person) if you ever create a group, being able to get a 10% sqm bonus for group-owned parcels are two that come to mind. 

I would suggest keeping your primary account.  You can always log it in to use some of the primary account's inventory items for furnishings in the new alt's house, for selling gachas as you mentioned, and just in case you decide later that you want to go back to your primary account.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Elena has grown on me, although I've spent long inactive periods without logging into SL. I like her personality and the fact she's an oldie after 12 years. Plus, I loveeeee all the ANCIENT sculpted hairs, skins with make up on, and flexiprim and painted clothes I've gathered in her inventory. They bring me great memories of my early days here, and it's fun to go over them sometimes. I know it sounds nostalgic...

I have an alt account I created just for house hunting in Belli,  and I hardly ever use it. Just keeping track of an avatar is more than enough to me

Edited by Elena Core
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I created a new account more than 5 years ago, and Tolya is now almost never used except on occasion when I need something off his inventory (very little left there).  However, oddly enough, I still use Tolya's name when I play backgammon on airplane entertainment systems, and on here, where Tolya is the name people knew me by back in the day.

I, along with my then-partner (now fiance) created new accounts specifically to make a fresh start, an escape from drama that had crept up around us and was creating strife in our relationship.  Conveniently, the places we primarily hung out were undergoing big changes at the time as well.  It worked rather well, obviously.  At first, and I'd guess for about a year, we didn't tell a soul we knew then who our new avatars were.  Today, maybe 2 dozen people know both Tolya and my new main.  Also conveniently, most of the people around whom the drama centered also left SL (or more likely created their own new alts) so it was very simple to make a fresh start.  I felt no need to close the old account, so it's still around.

I don't see why gachas would cause you to hesitate - are they not by nature transferable?  I also don't know why your inventory level would factor into the decision - you can simply create a huge folder entitled "old crap" and dump the junk into it.  Or, heck, chances are anything 6-8 years old is now junk, so just delete it.  Nor is there any reason to close your initial account - just switch it to basic and keep it around.

I have no problem with alts, unless one uses them as part of an ongoing deception - and even then the problem is not with the alt, it's with the person's lack of integrity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Technically, this is that account for me. My first trip in SL was a couple of years before I made this account, I only stayed around for a little while, didn't make many friends, and didn't have a whole lot of inventory. My first account's name wasn't one I really 'felt' when I considered giving SL a second chance, so I simply made a new account. 

But I wouldn't create a new account only because of my inventory being too crowded, it would be if I really, really wanted a different avatar name (although, there's always display names, so meh?). I did make an alt, because I figured having a female avatar to use as a photography subject might be handy - and generally I now spend more time on that account than on this one, because there are so many things to try on and buy with a female avatar, and because I do shoots with her pretty much daily.

Ultimately I think it's a very personal decision though, but there's no reason you can't make an alt and keep your old account, perhaps over time you'll find you prefer one over the other for various reasons.

• Like 3

I've done this several times. I don't abandon my old accounts. Lately I have refreshed an older account instead of creating a brand new account (cause my old account has a last name).  On the refresh, I get rid of the old inventory and erase the profile before restarting with a new mesh body and wardrobe.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Lavaliere said:

Discussion questions: How many of you have done or thought of doing this? (Starting a new account completely.)

I've done it twice, respectively. Once in 2006, and again in 2008 (with this av). In both instances it was done because I forgot the login information for both older accounts, which I wasn't really attached to at all to begin with, since I only really did  a smidgen of exploring on either. Sl didn't hold a whole lot of appeal to me back then, lol, I had more important things to deal with. Both have since been deleted by LL as far as I know and I have no interest in bringing either back (and, again, still don't remember their info anyway, lmao).

I wouldn't do it again though, I have one alt, and even she doesn't log on anymore and hasn't for a long time. 

Do you keep the old account for nostalgia reasons? 

If I were to start all over with another account I'm sure I would. It would probably depend more on why I was restarting. But, like I said, I have no interest in making any other avs, haven't done so since 2008.

How do you feel about others doing this exact thing, Do you know anyone who has?

I don't particularly care in most cases. People can do whatever they want. I can only think of one case where I turn into judgy mcjudgerson about someone creating a new av, and it's the circumstances behind why they did so (and what they did on their old av) that makes me judgy, and deservedly so. That person was, is and will always be, an asshat of epic proportion, criminal really. Anyone else..eh, do whatever tickles your pickle, not my business at all :) 

I do know loads of people that have multiple avs, some to get away from old crap, some just because they wanted something new, some just for alt's sake, some....who knows. I honestly don't put a whole lot of thought into it. In nearly all cases (minus aforementioned, or if I knew of any other similar circumstances, of which I'm sure there are some)....not my circus, not my monkeys. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Zzevir said:

Would you buy a car pimpit out as you like it. Have a tonns of sweet memories with it, road trips and what not. Then push it in a ditch and buy a new one? 

I don't see how this is the same as what I'm starting a discussion on. 

Cars depending on the model and year do go up in value over time.  Normal people will either sell the old one as memories aren't technically real, what's happening when you "remember" a memory, you remember the last time you talked about it and so the details of it will often change as you age and forget bits of what actually happened, unless you have video evidence of some kind that you kept well.

Comparing a car to something that is kinda not tangible (online accounts on any platform) is like comparing apples to oranges.  It isn't the same thing.

Edit to add: While yes you may have feelings of attachment to it, that will fade as it is a feeling.

Edited by Lavaliere
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

I don't see why gachas would cause you to hesitate - are they not by nature transferable?  I also don't know why your inventory level would factor into the decision

There are a lot of avatars that I have that I can't transfer, to buy them again would be a small fortune.

As for my inventory, I have thrown a lot out, boxed a lot of it and gave a lot of what was transferable to new players to help them out (with their consent.)

I wouldn't personally get rid of THIS account, like I said.  I use it to sell the gachas I don't want to keep (which for me is pretty profitable sometimes as I only do the seasonal events.)

• Like 2

Personally, I wouldn't get rid of the main account that I have used for the past 13 years just in order to make sense of my inventory and start fresh. I am Rolig, so starting over fresh isn't an option, any more than it is in RL.  And I have long since come to peace with my messy inventory.  My work alts can do what they want with theirs, and so can anyone else. ;)  

Edited by Rolig Loon
typos, of course
  • Like 5

I don't see how this is the same as what I'm starting a discussion on. 

Cars depending on the model and year do go up in value over time.  Normal people will either sell the old one as memories aren't technically real, what's happening when you "remember" a memory, you remember the last time you talked about it and so the details of it will often change as you age and forget bits of what actually happened, unless you have video evidence of some kind that you kept well.

Comparing a car to something that is kinda not tangible (online accounts on any platform) is like comparing apples to oranges.  It isn't the same thing.

Edit to add: While yes you may have feelings of attachment to it, that will fade as it is a feeling.

I, on the other hand, see @Zzevir's point perfectly, and think it is a very apt comparison.

Although if my Significant Other starts to wash and wax me or enter me in a car show, we're gonna have Words.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I, on the other hand, see @Zzevir's point perfectly, and think it is a very apt comparison.

Although if my Significant Other starts to wash and wax me or enter me in a car show, we're gonna have Words.

I dunno...part of that sounds an awful lot like fun. 

I won't dismiss the car show part without having a good read over that documentation first! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

1 minute ago, Tari Landar said:

I dunno...part of that sounds an awful lot like fun. 

Washing Clover is a favorite aftercare of mine.  I have shaved her legs before but never waxed her.  That sounds like what happens before the aftercare.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1527 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.