Who in SL has impacted your RL the most?

Tolya Ugajin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1562 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

56 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

He had MS. All I know is that he got too sick to log in anymore.

I loved arguing with Pep, though he was definitely a major PITA. I sort of miss him too.

I really miss him and Pep and Brenda and Void and Love and Artis and so many more.. Everytime I go to hit submit,another name pops into my head..hehehe

The old RA forums feel like they were almost separate times compared to now,like two different worlds..I miss everyone from back then..I learned so much from just about everyone back then and had some of the best times in those threads..

RA forum were pretty much self moderated it seemed like..Plus nobody ever had to wait for a response to a question..There was always someone that had the answer it seemed ..hehehe

I loved those forum cartel shopping trips..

• Like 2

On 12/7/2019 at 5:47 AM, Tolya Ugajin said:

I forget his name, actually - I think it was Pep or something like that, used hang in the old Forums a lot.

His actual name in SL was Pserendipity Daniels. Awful person, who intoxicated the GD with an English sense of superiority shaming the most fervent grammar-na...

*grimassing while pinching bridge of nose with thumb and index* Ok .. let' s not prematurely Godwin this and forget about those days. Nothing there to be proud of or boast about.

There was just this one moment only where he actually made me laugh in RL : the dropping anvil on Suspiria Finucane. It was Pep in his sublime true form.It probably still resides in the archives if those are still there. Maybe someone remembers from the old forums.

Maddy ?

ETA : Yes, Pep. I do remember and I hope you still are laughing over it as well. :D

Edited by TDD123
Someone might remember.
  • Like 1

quite a few. Two special mentions tho

Ordinal Malaprop, from who I learned that I could do mathematics beyond arithmetic

Madeleine McMasters, from who I learned how to resolve religion with science. Religion meaning how it is traditionally practiced within my culture. Resolve meaning that I better understand how I can relate to the practice, as the practice impacts culturally on how my/our ancestors are remembered and thought about from my/our own tribal perspective

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/7/2019 at 5:47 AM, Tolya Ugajin said:

....  I'll try something a bit more positive.

To answer your question : Not one and everyone of you and I am NOT grateful for that except for one unmentioned name.
We both fail, Tolya.

Edited by TDD123

5 hours ago, TDD123 said:

There was just this one moment only where he actually made me laugh in RL : the dropping anvil on Suspiria Finucane. It was Pep in his sublime true form.It probably still resides in the archives if those are still there. Maybe someone remembers from the old forums.

Maddy ?

Those were the days.............

http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/-1/1.html

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Those were the days.............

http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/-1/1.html

Yeah well .. a quick glance also reminded me of his arrogance like using the word ESLer. He achieved to use it as a derogative term while I consider it for myself a mere unimportant fact. Personally I find it unkind to define ppl as Untermensch based on lingual difference. I was never thankful to him for that no matter how much he boasted about it.

As stated before .. nothing to boast about.

Not t(h)reading these dungeons. Spirit Dragons roam there.

Edited by TDD123

On 12/7/2019 at 1:38 PM, Beth Macbain said:

Without a doubt, my first real partner in SL, my darling Hugh. He had to leave SL several years ago, but he still holds a gargantuan piece of my heart and always will. Until him, I never really made any connections with anyone in SL. I just sort of floated from place to place but never put down roots. 

More recently, though, and this is going to come across as brown-nosing in the supreme, but it's true. @Patch Linden has changed my Second Life in about a billion ways. Bellisseria is his brain-child and his passion. It's weird to say that simply moving someplace in SL changed everything for me, but it really did. In all my years of SL, I had really only experienced the adult side of things. It's why I came to SL, and why I stayed, and is something I will always defend but moving to Bellisseria showed me a completely different side that I didn't even know existed. Everything changed for me... everything. It has shown me how to have fun in Second Life with clothes on! It's brought dear friends into my world. One very special gentleman friend. Bellisseria made the entire grid feel fresh and new for me, and in a way, was a brand new beginning for me. I have two parcels on Bellisseria now, and am looking forward to a third when the Victorians are released. In addition to that, I fell in love with the mainland, someplace I'd never really even visited before. Now I own a big parcel on the Atoll and drives trains and ride horses and have real roots in SL by owning land. 

Absolutely none of that would have happened if it wasn't for Patch thinking one day, "Huh, maybe we should build a new continent with brand new Linden Homes and make it like a community..." or something along those lines. In my opinion, he is unquestionably LL's biggest asset, and I do hope @Ebbe Linden and the board realize what an absolute treasure he is. He has bridged the gap between residents and staff by being absolutely approachable in ways that used to be discouraged under a previous CEO. His love of Second Life is infectious and delightful, and his openness to listening to residents and taking their ideas seriously is so needed and valued, both to me and to many others.

I could gush about him for pages, but I'll leave it there. Thank you, Patch, for everything you've done, and continue to do, for SL and us residents! YOU are such an incredible asset to LL and I adore you. ❤️

Sitting here thinking of all the people from SL that have impacted my RL in some way over the years, I have to agree with @Beth Macbain, @Patch Linden is who has impacted my RL the most. If someone had told me a year ago, when I was barely logging in once a week,  just how much my life would have changed this year, because of Bellisseria, Patch, and so many more, I would not have believed them.

Thank you, Patch.

• Like 5

Hey ya, Tolya!

Without a doubt the SL person who has positively impacted my RL-life the most is my best friend, H. I don't want to go into the exact details. He knows them. But the man has been amazing to and for me. He hates SL, even though that is where we met (no, he doesn't hate it because SL is where we met!), so I rarely have the pleasure of his company inworld. (Understatement.) I do, however, speak and email with him often. Thank gawds for things like Skype, since he's a whole country away. We do meet when we can. 

There are a few SL people who have significantly and negatively impacted my RL. They shall remain nameless.

People have been discussing the old, old Forums and I can understand some of the wistfulness. There was probably more genuine discussion, but it could also be quite a toxic stew. These Forums are a little bland in content by comparison, but all in all they are a much better place.

• Like 3

This may sound a little selfish or a little lame but the person that impacted my Slife the most is ... me.

I decided to sign up years ago, in search for wonders of the beautiful human mind. I decided to not give up on the massive learning curve and then mesh and bento when I returned from my over 2yrs long hiatus. I decided to get married and take that hiatus. I fked up my marriages.

I decided to return. I decided to be at a specific venue, at a specific time despite boredom and lag. I decided to be there 5 more minutes than intended. There it was me that discovered the most perfect avi that I decided not to give up on despite everybody telling me it cannot exist.

Someone once said: 5 minutes of insane courage. 5 minutes is all it takes and I promise you something good will come out of it.

I decided to message that beautiful avi and I decided to let him into my RL. I decided to fall in love with him harder than ever before.

I decided to let my mental illness speak for me at one point and lost him. I decided not to move on. I decided not to delete this account.

I managed to get him back. I managed to keep him as close to me as humanly possible. I gave him my whole damn heart. I decided to take massive RL risks for him. I won. I got the best man on this earth in my life 24/7.

~sooo even though it may sound like I'm not giving anybody any credit, all i'm trying to say is that ultimately the most important person in our lives is in fact us. took me a lot to realise this thingie. :3 

Edited by ErukaVonD
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ErukaVonD said:

This may sound a little selfish or a little lame but the person that impacted my Slife the most is ... me.

Well, the question wasn't "Who impacted your SLife", but who in SL has impacted your RL the most? 

The rest of your story implies that it was the special "him" that you decided to let into your RL that has thus impacted your RL the most -- though I may be wrong there.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

*waves to everyone*

*waves especially to @Lindal Kidd @Elora Lunasea @ADudeNamed Anthony @Amaranthim Talon @Jerboa Haystack with whom I've had the pleasure of lovely RL interactions*

Oh, and I did enjoy a marvelous afternoon tea with @Pserendipity Daniels in London, back in the day!

My closest RL friend, @Kit Balogh, introduced me to SL back in 2007, and three days later, I learned that one of my RL brothers, @Elua Merlin, also enjoyed time in SL. ❤️

Edited by Maureen Boccaccio
  • Like 3

On 12/8/2019 at 9:52 PM, Seicher Rae said:

People have been discussing the old, old Forums and I can understand some of the wistfulness. There was probably more genuine discussion, but it could also be quite a toxic stew. These Forums are a little bland in content by comparison, but all in all they are a much better place.

Agree. I came to this forum from the SL Exchange forums, which were very active and oriented towards merchants. They were very well moderated. I would have stayed forever but they closed When LL bought SLEX.

I had seen the bloody unmoderated mess the official forum was, so I only read and posted in the official Merchant forum for a while, until LL started moderating. Now, I think it is a pretty good place, worth protecting from those who drop by to insult and troll.

On 12/8/2019 at 12:32 PM, TDD123 said:

His actual name in SL was Pserendipity Daniels. Awful person, who intoxicated the GD with an English sense of superiority shaming the most fervent grammar-na...

*grimassing while pinching bridge of nose with thumb and index* Ok .. let' s not prematurely Godwin this and forget about those days. Nothing there to be proud of or boast about.

Maddy ?

ETA : Yes, Pep. I do remember and I hope you still are laughing over it as well. :D

Made me laugh in real life too. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Made me laugh in real life too. 

First, welcome back Marigold! It's really lovely to see you here again! Welcome to the Old Forum alumni association?

That said (and this is actually maybe more directed at @TDD123 than to you) . . .

Sus was, and actually still is, a friend of mine, in-world, and just generally. I haven't spoken to her in probably about 8 months, because I haven't seen her in-world, but she's someone I like and whose friendship I value.

I do understand that Sus could be difficult, and combative, and that it's entirely legitimate not to like her -- but I'll also note that she was, while here, goaded, insulted, and provoked by people who knew that she wouldn't handle it well, and who were being deliberately inflammatory with her for their own amusement.

I have avoided any extended criticism of Pep here in response to those who obviously remember him with affection because I don't think it's fair to name names and go at someone who isn't here to defend himself. I'm beginning to have second thoughts about that policy, to be honest -- but it does seem to me that we should avoid mocking or attacking people who no longer post here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

That said (and this is actually maybe more directed at @TDD123 than to you) . . .

.. but it does seem to me that we should avoid mocking or attacking people who no longer post here.

On 12/8/2019 at 1:32 PM, TDD123 said:

... and forget about those days. Nothing there to be proud of or boast about.

The lack of response and me not continuing over said days, should tell you there is no intend to do such you claim might happen.

I agree to ... let's say .. drop the whole subject(s).

PS I don't remember with affection ( Pep included ). I just remembered the occassion happening

Edited by TDD123
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2019 at 11:00 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

He had MS. All I know is that he got too sick to log in anymore.

I loved arguing with Pep, though he was definitely a major PITA. I sort of miss him too.

Chris has MS. He has not passed away.

He decided to leave SL to devote time to being with his family. Last I heard, he was well, all things considered. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1562 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.