How are you feeling today?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1501 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

This made me smile. Not only because you and yours seem to be doing ok, but for the descriptions. For a Yankee who grew up on PBS/BBC shows, your description sounds like the opening for some quaint period piece. :) One of my first SL relationships was with a guy from the south of England. I've remarked several times about his glorious baritone and his posh accent that just made me giggle every time I heard it because it was so palpably delicious. (It is a weakness of mine, don't judge!) He was describing some aspect of some town and I made some remark, and he got so frustrated with me, saying something like (American translation), "Oh ffs. Stop it. This is where I live! It isn't some scene out of an Agatha Christie movie! It isn't exotic; it is my home." Can't help it. We in 'murica all know y'all live like "Upstairs Downstairs."

Aww, lassie, yer making me blush here. While I do have a baritone voice my accent, such as it is after being corrupted by nearly 2 decades in the MidWest, is anything but posh. <shameless plug>If you want to hear it, come to one of my shows. Unless I actually catch the thing myself and it wrecks my voice, those will be taking place as listed in my gcal schedule </shameless plug>

Those years in the USA did result in me being aware of the effect a british voice has on American ladies, but I never used it to unfair advantage apart from one time late at night in the middle of WI to persuade a lady state trooper to not give me a speeding ticket on a totally empty interstate....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Beth Macbain said:

So it wasn't just me? The forums were being weird!

They were borked for over an hour - about 1.5 hours, I think.  It probably took a bunch of us submitted tickets before LL realized.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I thought I'd been locked out for being naughty. :D 

This was my first thought when I clicked in a reply box and nothing happened.  I was afraid to log out though, so I logged in on another viewer and didn't get any bad messages -- and then checked email to be sure, since they always send an email when you get a slap.

Thus figured it was a problem of some sort and submitted a ticket - thankful that ticket submissions were open since chat was down.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

OMG  I was clearing cookies,  restarting the lappy, logging in and out  ....  phew

I never do any of that. Any time I experience any kind of issue with SL, I assume immediately that LL are screwups.

If only I had a dollar for every time I was right...

• Haha 4

21 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

His singular reason for existing is to feel smug and superior to literally every single being on this planet. Welcome to the Slipped and Fell Down the Prok Rabbit Hole Club.

hugs

(He's a she!)

We've all been down that rabbit hole. :(

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Arquet said:

I'm good for toilet paper (and washing up liquid - also a scarce resource) for now. You? 

Good on you for managing to pick up a Sainsbury slot - all I get is the message they are "prioritising the vulnerable" (which is good, of course). I did try Ocado yesterday, they now have a queuing just to enter the website. My starting position was 33807. (Waiting wasn't much use anyway, because there were no delivery slots...)    

At least there's food in the local shops, which is something, but I'd much rather not buy in person (though I'll have to, and I'm grateful that I'm able to) because my paranoia about picking up the virus from an item that has been touched by an infected person if off the scale (sure if I don't touch my face I should be fine, but even know I sometimes find myself touching my face even before I realise I do). Deeeeeeep breath.

Al least it looks like tests are on the way on a mass scale, so at least we as a country will be able to measure the extent of the infection more accurately. 

Really good for toilet paper, although I gave a bunch away to a couple of the old dears in my neighbourhood requiring some. Got a big pack at my brother's delivered from Asda, and they sent a massive bottle of washing up liquid as a substitute for a smaller bottle, which I am humbled and grateful for. Its just amazing how much more I value every little thing that I am able to acquire, and food is tasting much better somehow. I purchased a tin of fruit cocktail today and thought about my aunties! How hard it was for them to get things when they were little girls. They lived through WWI and WWII. What amazing women they were. Both gone more than 30 years now and I miss them still and - apart from my swearing - I hope they would be proud of how I turned out, even though I'm not a rocket scientist or anything all that worthy really. 

I derailed a bit there, forgive the indulgence! 

Yes, the paranoia, I think, is justified. I think everyone is getting more so. That is no bad thing.  The local shop I like to go to was very strict this evening, only letting three people in at a time and ensuring the two metres of space rule was adhered to, man behind the counter still smiling, he is so very lovely, but like you say, ever single thing we touch now could be infected by someone! And the hand washing up to my elbows when I'm not immersed fully in a bath has got to obsessive levels.

Better to be safe than sorry though.

I have got out of touch with the news today, so your post is what has informed me about the tests that are on the way. Thank goodness for that. I hope we can all be tested, and bundled into quarantine properly if needs be.

I've been following graphs on a website, can't remember the name of it now, it's in my history at my brother's on his computer, shows peaks and troughs with the diagnoses and deaths for this virus.  

I have followed Boris's rules to the letter, and still I feel we're all playing Russian roulette.  

Sorry not quite as positive today as I was yesterday. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yesterday, my Governor officially gave a Stay at Home order for the entire state, effective this morning.  Mostly I'm glad about this because I wasn't feeling comfortable with the piece-meal stuff that was going on before, with different areas having different rules.

The economic impact of this is scaring me more and more every day.  I KNOW that we need that stimulus package, but 2.2 TRILLION - Ugh.  And unemployment claims hit 3.3 MILLION last week, which is more than 4 times the previous record.  That is just the totals through last week - and we know that is going to continue to rise.

Apparently Denmark has come up with an idea that other European countries are planning to copy https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/denmark-freezing-its-economy-should-us/608533/

But in order to do anything like that we would have to convince the so called president he thought of it first.

• Like 5

To Cindy and all in UK finding it hard to get delivery slots.

Sainsburys just now for my area (Yorkshire/Nottinghamshire) has slots! 

They come up at random times on this supermarket's website. Don't know exactly why. I had been sitting at midnight to get next available, but was finding this happening. Unsure if it happens for every area, but worth a try?

random availability.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

They come up at random times on this supermarket's website. Don't know exactly why. I had been sitting at midnight to get next available, but was finding this happening. Unsure if it happens for every area, but worth a try?

I just woke up to find an email from ASDA telling me what isn't available on my order for 9 -10 am today.   I was shocked, I had finally got onto their website the other day and it said my regular Friday recurring slot was next Friday  3rd April.  (ie today was missed out for some reason)   I can't/won't complain.  I understand they must be under a ton of stress trying to get food to as many as possible.  I had made other arrangements but if I have an excess of food then I will just share it with neighbours.  (I seem to have an excess of frozen veg) Theres a local neighbours forum where people have been posting what they need and others offering what they have and my next door neighbour has been left with no kitchen, using the bathroom sink to do dishes and a microwave and slow cooker because her new kitchen extension build just stopped obviously.  She is a nurse working hell hours so if I can do a little to help then I am really happy to do so. 

Edited by Cindy Evanier
typo
  • Like 6

12 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

Apparently Denmark has come up with an idea that other European countries are planning to copy https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/denmark-freezing-its-economy-should-us/608533/

But in order to do anything like that we would have to convince the so called president he thought of it first.

Denmark's government has been the most pro-active in Europe. They went to lockdown early too and have a low number of deaths to show for it. Their lead is a good one to follow. If only our governments would.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

random availability.jpg

It's kind of you to suggest this.  They're not taking new registrations at the moment, unfortunately.

• Sad 2

My day job. 😬
Funding for my position is direct government funding and this week declared an essential service by our MD. 🥳
Which of course the head of my college hasn't quite realised just yet, with supposedly no work for me in the next 2 weeks. 🙄

Well have I got news for him lol. 😾
The two weeks before term break have been declared student free. (that's fair enough).
I proposed using this time to do face to face/one on one catch-up exams as the new 2020 exams format is extremely difficult for most of the
25 or so students I assist, with the exams taking multiple attempts for disadvantaged peeps to finish, let alone understand properly.

I'm quite prepared to go full covid defense stance with my own equipment & sanitiser, (isopropyl alcohol) which I already have for making jewellery.
Amazingly - when he denied my request, I was incredibly polite and didn't even go a lil bit bananas about it.
We had our compulsory flu vaccinations the same morning so I got a tiny headache because of that.

I'm getting so exhausted having to fight for mine & my students rights all the time as I am the only representative of my section at the college.
It's going to be open warfare next week I am sure lol.
I don't need this drama in my life. 🤢🤮

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I just woke up to find an email from ASDA telling me what isn't available on my order for 9 -10 am today. 

Next time they DO deliver, email them and tell them 2 £5 notes and several £1 coins are unavailable for payment on this order! 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I just woke up to find an email from ASDA telling me what isn't available on my order for 9 -10 am today.   I was shocked, I had finally got onto their website the other day and it said my regular Friday recurring slot was next Friday  3rd April.  (ie today was missed out for some reason)   I can't/won't complain.  I understand they must be under a ton of stress trying to get food to as many as possible.  I had made other arrangements but if I have an excess of food then I will just share it with neighbours.  (I seem to have an excess of frozen veg) Theres a local neighbours forum where people have been posting what they need and others offering what they have and my next door neighbour has been left with no kitchen, using the bathroom sink to do dishes and a microwave and slow cooker because her new kitchen extension build just stopped obviously.  She is a nurse working hell hours so if I can do a little to help then I am really happy to do so. 

I can see why that happened. I tried to cancel an Asda order this morning, after managing to get a time slot with Tesco for 30th March, and it hasn't let me cancel it, not been able to get through on the phone of course, so they might also turn up on Monday! Software issues, no doubt because they've been hurriedly trying to make a fairer system for people to obtain time slots in the first place.

And the people running the websites must be working through the night - I don't think they usually do, so maybe they have their eyes propped open with matchsticks while drinking gallons of black coffee, hence where we might find extra orders actually arriving.

It is better than Christmas! (Bad humour). But in a way it feels like Christmas. All the horrendous queuing people are doing, and the rest of us being confined with family for longer spells than normal. 

The neighbours are all certainly pulling together now more the wartime spirit has come through after the initial panicking. 

Good for you for helping others too. It will come back to you. Karma works in all ways. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

It's kind of you to suggest this.  They're not taking new registrations at the moment, unfortunately.

And that is sadly the wrong decision by Sainsbury's! I am sorry this post wasn't helpful for you. 

If you are already registered with Tesco, they had slots available at barmy o'clock this morning. I have insomnia quite badly currently and am trying not to rely on sleeping pills, because they won't get rid of the reasons for my insomnia, and found new time slots had been added to the website. It's pot luck it seems now when to obtain slots. 

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Dano Seale said:

Next time they DO deliver, email them and tell them 2 £5 notes and several £1 coins are unavailable for payment on this order! 

See, hmm, I may have misread Cindy's post. I read it that she'd received an email saying things were not available for this morning's delivery, BUT she hadn't actually got a delivery booked, because of unavailability, so in fact she has got unexpected order arriving!  That's how I read it, but I have a bit of a fuzzy brain today, lack of proper quality sleep, worries about things other than COVID-19. It happens.

• Like 1

I was quiet yesterday - Yipeeeeeee I can hear the cries go out!

Today I am shooting heroes with my love gun!

Someone made a suggestion - and it's so clever how the word gets out and things like this get organised somehow via social media - that everyone in the UK should go to their doors and windows and clap in honour of the heroes who work for the NHS.  I did not think anyone would do so, so imagine how surprised I was, when out on my balcony about to applaud, when right on the dot of 8pm, my whole neighbourhood went from absolute silence to a cacophony of claps and cheers and car horns and whistles, and even a couple of fireworks.  It makes me have goosebumps to think of it now.

Then at 5.30am this morning, because I was unable to sleep, I found myself looking out of my bedroom window, watching the sky become lighter, and as my eyes adjusted focus, I saw two cars parked by the garages, and two separate neighbours quietly heading off to their respective jobs at Asda - one of the supermarkets. They help to feed us all, including the NHS staff who mostly help us to get/stay well. These are heroes too. No fanfair for them though. 

And at 10.30am, my opposite neighbour and friend since childhood, was just out in the car park, jogging up and down alone in the sunshine, keeping to the social isolation rules, but wanting to remain as fit as possible. He is a bus driver. He helps to convey essential workers to and from their destination, and is at risk of course himself, only with a shield of perspex as protection between himself and potential viruses. He is a hero too.

So today, how I am feeling, is in total awe of the people who truly care for the rest of us, while putting themselves at risk.  

Edited by Marigold Devin
checking my English - it's just not good :(
  • Like 9

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1501 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.