What are you watching today?

I watched this this morning before anyone woke up.. It's not a big budget film or anything like that..

I pretty much watched it because I would watch him when I was little and wanted to see what they went into with the film..

I have to say, I felt really relaxed and calm afterwards and realized just how deep he really was.. He may be talking to children in his shows, but the things he sings and say's work for adults as well.. I wish I knew how to stay as grounded as him..Probably following what he say's might work I guess.. hehehe

Either way, I felt a really nice calm afterwards and so relaxed and peaceful..

For me it was an interesting watch.. I don't know what others would think of it, but it's on our shelf now just for how therapeutic it felt watching it..

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I watched this this morning before anyone woke up...

I'd heard of "Mr. Rogers Neighborhood" during my childhood, but I'd never seen the show until college, when it sometimes played in the student lounge. Though college was a time to rebel against your childhood, all my classmates seemed to love Fred. I became a huge fan of Mr. McFeeley's tours.

Years later, I introduced my engineering team to Mr. McFeeley. Every Tuesday morning, I'd grab my fellas and take them out to the company lounge to watch as Mr. McFeeley toured some new place that made things. I think I learned as much about manufacturing from McFeeley as I did from my professors.

I have a special affinity for Mr. Rogers because I grew up in a family who appreciated the value of "make believe" and loved hamming it up with hand puppets. I still have puppets I'm happy to pull out and put on to entertain guests, often with affection I'd not feel comfortable showing directly.

Tom Hanks seems the perfect person to play Fred Rogers. That movie is on my watch list.

;-).

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gage Wirefly said:

Currently on Season 3 of Humans, the final one. Shame it ended after 3, it could have used 2 more to tie it off , great show in either case.

I really liked that series, sad to see it go.

You know it was a spin-off from a European one -- I might have liked it even better. Scandinavian one I think.

Edited by Luna Bliss

43 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It's an historic event.

US presidents are changed out every 4-8 years, I don't see why this is any more 'historical' than the inauguration of Franklin Pierce. Do you think that, in a hundred years' time, people are going to look back to today and say 'this was especially significant' or 'this was an important turning point in US history'?

People are a bit liberal with calling things 'historical', in my opinion. 

Personally I'm watching something that contains both history and cooking!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Do you think that, in a hundred years' time, people are going to look back to today and say 'this was especially significant' or 'this was an important turning point in US history'?

As it happens, yes, quite possibly.

And I'm not going to be around in a hundred years. This is history -- a term which is not limited to only "earthshaking events" -- that is going to matter a great deal to me now, as well as to a few billion other people on this planet.

Just now, Garnet Psaltery said:

@Scylla RhiadraSo, what are you watching today? 

The forums? 😊

I did, in fact, watch a fair amount of the inauguration, and most especially the speeches -- which, I was relieved to see, mostly hit the right notes, including those delivered by Republicans. The whole exercise has left me feeling a teeny bit better about the future.

Most recently though, I binged my way through Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the spin-off Angel.  I never watched those back in the day and decided it was finally time I did.

All of the normal "fall" tv shows are finally back though (or will be by end of month), so I'll be going back to watching those weekly shows.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

@Scylla Rhiadra I should have known better than to ask. 

[Edited out post for another topic.]

Well, more in keeping with the spirit of the thread, I can tell you that I have been binging recently on Joanna Lumley's various travelogues for ITV and the BBC -- most recently (i.e., last night) her "In the Land of the Northern Lights." She's just wonderful, and I like the way her narratives focus as much on the trivial as upon the monumental.

• Like 2