Would you trade your mesh body for this?

KanryDrago

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Long story short some one posted this image in the Why is sl so laggy thread saying it would be a suitable substitute with a little tweaking for our current mesh. My reaction to it was fairly negative how ever I am only one person. Lets see others reactions to this. We will find out who thinks they would trade their mesh for something like this because as the original poster of the image said "They would barely notice the difference"

digitgears.png

4 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

Long story short some one posted this image in the Why is sl so laggy thread saying it would be a suitable substitute with a little tweaking for our current mesh. My reaction to it was fairly negative how ever I am only one person. Lets see others reactions to this. We will find out who thinks they would trade their mesh for something like this because as the original poster of the image said "They would barely notice the difference"

A body which I can dress up/down and completely customise according to my own tastes, versus a complete avatar without customization options. Hmmm... so hard!

Seriously though, if that person really thinks that "we would barely notice the difference" then he/she surely must still be wearing the default avatar that they were given when they first logged in. Because they wouldn;t notice the difference either.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

A body which I can dress up/down and completely customise according to my own tastes, versus a complete avatar without customization options. Hmmm... so hard!

There's context missing to this. I was saying a full male and/or female body made in a similar style. not one with a built in outfit you can't change. The topic was about optimization and I was trying to point out that a good body can still be made with less polygons than what current ones in SL tend to have.

He also left out the other half of that statment

"And most wouldn't notice the difference if it had a slight more realistic style to the shape"

Edited by Digit Gears
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, JeanGenie1 said:

I find this quite funny, "barely notice the difference" Being on SL as a passionate photographer realism is the main focus. Whether thats fantasy or realistic photography I wouldnt have that option if the Avatar was a cartoon. 

angel1_001.png

Now that is my kind of SL photography. It looks like all you did in a photo manip is ... sign your name. That is worthy of framing and hanging on your SL wall.

It would make an absolutely gorgeous wall mural with or without the "model". SL or RL. ^_^

• Like 5

I'd trade my mesh body for a 2007 prim sheep at this rate. I can't find a look that works and I can't understand why I'm always poking out of clothes when the HUD says those body parts are invisible. There's something very wrong when I actually look better in RL. 

• Haha 7

23 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I'd trade my mesh body for a 2007 prim sheep at this rate. I can't find a look that works and I can't understand why I'm always poking out of clothes when the HUD says those body parts are invisible. There's something very wrong when I actually look better in RL. 

You're overreacting. As Vogons go, I think you look very nice.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

No. Even if it came without clothes and hair, and I could wear regular mesh clothes with it - still no.  My avatar looks better than that on minimum graphics. It reminds me of those awful mesh avatars that were in the starter set a few years ago. 

That prosthetic arm looks neat though. Someone can make me one of those (for the other arm). I've been wanting one that looks "fantasy" (rather than low-tech, or sci-fi) for ages.

8 hours ago, JeanGenie1 said:

I find this quite funny, "barely notice the difference" Being on SL as a passionate photographer realism is the main focus.

I originally came to SL to do photos, realistic scenes with people in them. Something like this perhaps:

381296092_Jazz19-08-12_001.jpg.db4d941400fd8b3c2002704122830f9f.jpg

I'm not sure if I need to explain my point, most people would probably see it right away. But avatar and scenery details are the least of the problems here. The lack of proportions and the skewed perspective are the big ones. Those issues are not going to be fixed anytime soon and that means taking realistic photos in SL is just a pipe dream anyway.

Edited by ChinRey

13 hours ago, JeanGenie1 said:

I find this quite funny, "barely notice the difference" Being on SL as a passionate photographer realism is the main focus. Whether thats fantasy or realistic photography I wouldnt have that option if the Avatar was a cartoon. 

angel1_001.png

A work of art!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KanryDrago said:

digitgears.png

I'm a girl. Trust me, I'd notice the difference.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I would not, but I can see where some people would love to have bodies like that.  It would do well with the anime community, for example, or fantasy RP.  

It would still need at least a clothing layer even after BOM comes out, tho along with scripting, alpha cuts and all the other necessary steps to go from concept to usable product.  If they care to go through all that I am sure there is a market for bodies like this.  It's a nice mesh but not the look I want to portray. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, KanryDrago said:

Disregarding the look and shape and considering *ONLY* the mesh itself: Yes. Because the actual look and even received shape can be done with (professionally-created) *textures*. I have an uncle who did ray-tracing and 3D modeling back in the '80s and '90s and I showed him SL long time ago (bacon in 2006 or so) and... Bah, never mind, TMI. Basically: I understand how 3D modeling works and how texturing is 90% of the finished look.

So, this mesh (as shown on the left-side example) with the right textures and shape: yes.

EDIT to add: The question in the OP isn't about the SHAPE or the BODY as I understand it - it's about the POLYGON COUNT and how the body appears with such a low count. LOL SO So imagine your current body with the level of detail shown in the example image.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Disregarding the look and shape and considering *ONLY* the mesh itself: Yes. Because the actual look and even received shape can be done with (professionally-created) *textures*. I have an uncle who did ray-tracing and 3D modeling back in the '80s and '90s and I showed him SL long time ago (bacon in 2006 or so) and... Bah, never mind, TMI. Basically: I understand how 3D modeling works and how texturing is 90% of the finished look.

So, this mesh (as shown on the left-side example) with the right textures and shape: yes.

EDIT to add: The question in the OP isn't about the SHAPE or the BODY as I understand it - it's about the POLYGON COUNT and how the body appears with such a low count. LOL SO So imagine your current body with the level of detail shown in the example image.

Its not just about the textures though, animations stretch and move the body in various ways. I have seen people with very good shapes they did for the system body and they look great when standing. Then they go into a pose and well the straight lines become obvious because the polygons arent sufficient density to adequately smooth the curve

15 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

Its not just about the textures though, animations stretch and move the body in various ways. I have seen people with very good shapes they did for the system body and they look great when standing. Then they go into a pose and well the straight lines become obvious because the polygons arent sufficient density to adequately smooth the curve

This.

We've all seen the flaws in the classic avatars, how animations make them break at the stomach or the shoulders, in certain positions. This is one of the reasons why mesh bodies were created in the first place.

Low poly avatars work in games like LoL because the animations are specifically made to not break them, but in SL, where animations are made by users  this isn't going to be the case.

So even with perfect high-res textures, an avatar like this will look like crap as soon as it moves.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.