Would it be abnormal to have only a couple sets of clothes?

pinkpatrol

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1732 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

(in before someone makes a joke comment about how it's not normal to have two pair of clothes in real life. You smart alecks know darn well I'm talking about Second Life!)

I've been thinking about investing in a proper bento head/maitreya body. Getting all that stuff, plus skins and appliers and hair will set me back about 40 bucks. It's okay though, because I kind of want to experience at least some of my Second Life looking like a normie. But honestly I have no intention on buying a huge wardrobe. In fact I'll probably max out at three outfits for the rest of the year. I would prefer to spend my lindens on things like decor and housing. Anyway, I wanted to know would it be really odd to continually see some random in the same couple sets of clothes? I don't completely know why I'm asking this, I just want opinions I guess so I know which degree to feel like an SL hobo. 

And if anyone else has a small collection of clothes, by choice or whatever, let me know. Maybe we can go dumpster diving together. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

I had one outfit for about three months when I started. 

The trouble is I love shopping, so I just accumulate outfits. It's a big part of my SL.

I can get that. I'm that way with furniture. The only thing is not everyone you meet in world sees your home to judge you, but how your avatar looks can make people judge you pretty harshly. I already get judged for my current avatar which I'm 100% not retiring, it's just I'd hate to invest in a 'normal' avatar only to have the same thing happen again because I show up to the same place with the same clothes all the time lol I'm at least making a small attempt to fit in sometimes

I learned pretty quickly many, many people on this game are shallow over pixels. 

• Like 3

I have been buying mix and match pieces, within a colour palette, so I can make different outfits with the same clothes.

That would make your three outfits expand to many more.

If any of your buys came with options, ie pattern / solid, or something is tintable you can create even more looks.

This take more effort to do, because not all separates will physically go together and it is necessary to test out each piece, , but it is fun in its own way also.

Also my mesh body came with some bonus items (underwear).

I think you can do it, maybe it could be an sl minimal capsule wardrobe challenge?

This website was in my mind when I started out https://www.theviviennefiles.com/

• Like 3

The female avatar I'm using right now has been using one outfit for the past few years. She has other clothes but for just wandering around and shopping I use the same outfit with small accessory changes here and there. It's never been criticized and gets occasional compliments. I don't think people are that judgmental in SL. Just make a casual outfit that is appropriate to wear anywhere and you're set.

You could get a fat-pack version for each clothing item which greatly expands the color and textures of a single outfit. For accessories like jewelry you can pick up free items here and there as you wander around. You can also grab gifts on the SL Marketplace and at many shopping events. The Uber event right now has massive free gifts which are mostly accessories. 

• Like 2

PinkPatrol, if you have a female avatar you barely need to spend any money on clothes if you don't want to. There's a plethora of high quality female freebies out there, if you know where to look. You can kit out a female avatar with a massive wardrobe, completely free.

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

The female avatar I'm using right now has been using one outfit for the past few years. She has other clothes but for just wandering around and shopping I use the same outfit with small accessory changes here and there. It's never been criticized and gets occasional compliments. I don't think people are that judgmental in SL. Just make a casual outfit that is appropriate to wear anywhere and you're set.

You could get a fat-pack version for each clothing item which greatly expands the color and textures of a single outfit. For accessories like jewelry you can pick up free items here and there as you wander around. You can also grab gifts on the SL Marketplace and at many shopping events. The Uber event right now has massive free gifts which are mostly accessories. 

The casual outfit is a good idea. Also it's good to hear you don't think everyone is shallow. Maybe I've just ran into bad eggs. 

3 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

PinkPatrol, if you have a female avatar you barely need to spend any money on clothes if you don't want to. There's a plethora of high quality female freebies out there, if you know where to look. You can kit out a female avatar with a massive wardrobe, completely free.

I don't know where to look! Care to share your secrets, Skell 🤩

Consider fatpacks. They're a bit pricier, but just being able to change the color/pattern of something can go a long way to a full wardrobe. Heck, I'll buy a few colors of the same top in RL sometimes! Some places will actually have two or three different styles in a pack, too; I know Blueberry sometimes does this, where one fatpack of a skirt might have a short and a long version, etc. You might do well to spend a small amount on a couple of decent clothing groups, as well, for a few group freebies. 

Personally, no, I don't think it's weird. I have a few friends who almost never change outfits, or rotate between just a few things. Whatever makes you happy. I'll live in the same thing for days, sometimes; or change three or four times in a single day!

• Like 1

You could do a search for Second Life blogs as a starting point. I use http://seraphimsl.com . If you see something you like, just check out the store and see if they offer group gifts and if there is a joining fee or not. I don't have a lot on money myself to spend in world, so I mostly look for the freebies & dollarbies on marketplace and follow the weekly deals of Fifty Linden Friday and The Saturday Sales. If I buy $5 worth of lindens on payday, I can pay my parcel rent and get a couple new items of clothing.

• Like 1

Oh, Pink, you have come to the right place.  We are big shoppers here. lol 

There are several places to go and groups to join for free stuff.  Free Dove has a lot of free items, though you may have to pick and choose what you like.  Teleport HUB is a group not only tells you where to get free stuff, wearing the group tag, but what group gifts there are for different stores. A lot of stores have free gifts available, as well.  Some you have to pay for, but others you don't.  Also, you want to hit up the various Lucky Boards and Midnight Manias.  Some of those require group tags, others, don't. I believe Olive Hair has lucky boards and Midnight Manias, that don't require a group tag to enter. 

For cheap alternatives there is the 1Linden1Hour group.  Basically, a store will set an item for 1Linden and you have an hour to go get it.  There is also Fifty Linden Friday and The Saturday Sale, which the items are between 50L -75L.  There is also the 60L Weekend sale.  If you ever need/want any of those notecards, just hit me up and I'll gladly send them to you. 

I'm sure there are a ton of other places, but those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head. 

• Like 2

Pink, if you've found that wearing the same outfit, day after day, exposes the shallow people in your life, why on earth would you want to change clothing?

Think of your limited wardrobe as a UV flashlight, exposing the cat pee on the carpets in the lovely house you're touring, so you can avoid buying it.

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

All the big names have free gifts although some do charge to join the group.

Blueberry have lots on the group gift wall. I got a lovely bodycon/bandage dress from Erratic just recently. There are plenty more stores to raid.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Skell Dagger said:

There's a plethora of high quality female freebies out there, if you know where to look. You can kit out a female avatar with a massive wardrobe, completely free.

I very rarely spend more than 1L on any one item of clothing, not because I don't have the money, but because I am so paranoid about running out of it. I find however that the challenge of finding deals adds to the fun. Anyone can walk into a store and spend a fortune to look great, but the real talent is to do it without spending very much

• Like 3

3 hours ago, pinkpatrol said:

(in before someone makes a joke comment about how it's not normal to have two pair of clothes in real life. You smart alecks know darn well I'm talking about Second Life!)

I've been thinking about investing in a proper bento head/maitreya body. Getting all that stuff, plus skins and appliers and hair will set me back about 40 bucks. It's okay though, because I kind of want to experience at least some of my Second Life looking like a normie. But honestly I have no intention on buying a huge wardrobe. In fact I'll probably max out at three outfits for the rest of the year. I would prefer to spend my lindens on things like decor and housing. Anyway, I wanted to know would it be really odd to continually see some random in the same couple sets of clothes? I don't completely know why I'm asking this, I just want opinions I guess so I know which degree to feel like an SL hobo. 

And if anyone else has a small collection of clothes, by choice or whatever, let me know. Maybe we can go dumpster diving together. 

The Free Dove has a ton of free clothes for Maitreya.

There are also great suggestions in this thread for low cost items.  And, yes, trying searching with the word GIFT as there are many 1 linden items and or free items on MP too!  

I wore one skirt in all colors for two months as I was maxed on with my building budget and was also working so much with building that no one saw me but me.  So, I changed the color of the skirt and the top once in a while.  

It's your money, spend it how you like it BUT know there are many great low cost items and or free too!  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pinkpatrol said:

I've been wearing the same hoodie IRL for the better part of 10 years almost daily (I've had to replace the sleeves and the hood seems to be next.) and I've bought new pants twice to replace the previous, exact same ones. It may be uncommon but it's entirely practical!

Same applies for Second Life, kind of. While I have (many) multiple avatars, each one has one assigned outfit. My main avatar's outfit is like 4 years old and comfy af.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Pink, if you've found that wearing the same outfit, day after day, exposes the shallow people in your life, why on earth would you want to change clothing?

Think of your limited wardrobe as a UV flashlight, exposing the cat pee on the carpets in the lovely house you're touring, so you can avoid buying it.

I think this might be the best advice I've received in a long time actually. 

Oh, just wanted to add...Shey Shoes by MoiMoi has many SUPER low cost shoes for Maitreya - 20 and 30 linden for shoes with color huds.  Check it out! 

I also have a group called It's 99 Lindens or Less but am having some difficulty getting the group to take off.  But, join my group as it may take off eventually.  

I have been inviting designers with low cost items everyday - so it's different than the 50 / 60 linden special sale kind of groups. 

And, of course, the group is for designers AND customers who are looking to sell or buy low cost items that exist everyday; again, not just as a special sale.    

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 2

Update: I appreciate everyone's input and those who gave me links especially. I may use them, but at this time I plan on making a a proper human avatar only so I can get me some Ravenclaw outfits because I've always adored Harry Potter and since there's no new games of HP (that are worthwhile) I might as well use SL's imaginative creators to my advantage! (Also, Ravenclaw is best house. Fight me)

Madelaine McMasters made me realize something. Something that I already knew but needed a reminder of. It's my Second Life. If people can accept me for the way I choose to play then me duding myself up just for them so they will tolerate me isn't the hallmark of a good friendship. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, pinkpatrol said:

Update: I appreciate everyone's input and those who gave me links especially. I may use them, but at this time I plan on making a a proper human avatar only so I can get me some Ravenclaw outfits because I've always adored Harry Potter and since there's no new games of HP (that are worthwhile) I might as well use SL's imaginative creators to my advantage! (Also, Ravenclaw is best house. Fight me)

Madelaine McMasters made me realize something. Something that I already knew but needed a reminder of. It's my Second Life. If people can accept me for the way I choose to play then me duding myself up just for them so they will tolerate me isn't the hallmark of a good friendship. 

Yep!  She's right!  

Just passing info along cuz you never know when you might want to try something different and not spend a lot for it.  

I change my mind often.  

I love the low cost options and that Second Life can fit any budget.  It really can.  

But, I've danced at Estoshia with avatars in newbie "I just arrived" beginner avatar clothing and we all had fun just the same.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

That's how I started out.

Grab some freebie outfits ("love the shirt, hate the pants" and then mix and match ("oh look over there. Love the pants, hate the shirt"). Soonest, some choices just went so well with other choices (separate free stuff, mind you). Skell is quite correct.

Took me quite awhile to finally go for the L$ route and purchase some high quality threads. If you have an eye for fashion (I don't. I just liked how the clothing would complement itself), take your time.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, pinkpatrol said:

I have an inventory full of clothes and I still pretty much only wear two outfits; one casual and one formal.

And don't forget there are tons of freebies available; much more for women than for men. Free Dove has some quality freebies for Maitreya, so does Ajuda Brasil. And that's not counting all the hunts and lucky chairs and group gifts you can pick up. 

Just one thing though. The best house is...

hufflepuff_transparent.png

If you only want to wear a few outfits there's nothing wrong with that. I personally found before my mesh body when i didn't have loads of outfits that weren't entirely system layer, i got tired of cycling through the same limited looks. If money is an issue for kitting out your future mesh body there's loads of freebies out there from places already mentioned. I also love Fifty Linden Friday and Saturday sale for inexpensive fashion. If you like your home decor you can also pick up lots of quality buildings, home and garden items every week from Fifty Linden Friday cheaply

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1732 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.