Would it be abnormal to have only a couple sets of clothes?

pinkpatrol

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1728 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, Lewis Luminos said:

I have an inventory full of clothes and I still pretty much only wear two outfits; one casual and one formal.

And don't forget there are tons of freebies available; much more for women than for men. Free Dove has some quality freebies for Maitreya, so does Ajuda Brasil. And that's not counting all the hunts and lucky chairs and group gifts you can pick up. 

Just one thing though. The best house is...

hufflepuff_transparent.png

Good point!

...but meet me outside of Costco for a duel, badger. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Hi Pink!

I love shopping too, and I have a ton of clothes.  But as several people have pointed out, you don't have to go that route to have a great Second Life!

One of the brightest and most successful avatars I know is Desmond Shang.  He is the estate owner of Caledon, a steampunk community of over 25 regions.  He's still the same dorky, bow-tied avatar that he was when I first met him 12 years ago.

And you should not assume that to be a "normal" SL avatar you have to spend a lot of money on a mesh body and head.  Yes, a lot of people do.  But also, a lot of people don't!  You can still look really nice with a "classic" non-mesh avatar.  And that doesn't even begin to touch on the wide variety of people who don't use human avatars at all.

There is no "normal"...so, forget about that and be yourself instead!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Hi Pink!

I love shopping too, and I have a ton of clothes.  But as several people have pointed out, you don't have to go that route to have a great Second Life!

One of the brightest and most successful avatars I know is Desmond Shang.  He is the estate owner of Caledon, a steampunk community of over 25 regions.  He's still the same dorky, bow-tied avatar that he was when I first met him 12 years ago.

And you should not assume that to be a "normal" SL avatar you have to spend a lot of money on a mesh body and head.  Yes, a lot of people do.  But also, a lot of people don't!  You can still look really nice with a "classic" non-mesh avatar.  And that doesn't even begin to touch on the wide variety of people who don't use human avatars at all.

There is no "normal"...so, forget about that and be yourself instead!

Great point! I'm actually feeling a lot better about sticking out like a sore thumb in some of the sims I visit. No need to fake it to make it right? I'm happy the way I am and hopefully I'll make some friends along the way. I guess I feel comfortable in my "second skin" once more! 

• Like 1

I literally wore only ONE outfit for about 9 years in SL. Okay I did upgrade it a few times but it was basically the same outfit.

firstday.jpg.78732e856cc1e3a8a3aeae3ac24d1bbb.jpgSnapshot_006.jpg.b5aa1cd3b0a72593255edaea9ece3842.jpg180116_002a.png.41676b77a0e1a148c076b3983da38dd0.png1649465360_braunworthrevisited_003.thumb.png.28260a090b4c14ee388210ab3e3015d7.png

I left SL around 2014 and didn't come back until late 2017, and when I did, I went mesh. After that, I started changing not just my clothes but my entire look, on an almost daily basis. But even now, that outfit with a white shirt, black waistcoat, blue jeans and red Chucks, is iconically "me".

• Like 1

Update: 

I bought an avatar just to have the option. Even before I bought it I had no plans on getting a bunch of clothes, not because monetary reasons just because the idea didn't appeal to me as much as getting furniture. And now? OH BOY I DEFINITELY DON'T PLAN ON GETTING A LOT OF CLOTHES! I'm having a hard time with this avatar and am a bit overwhelmed. I've been watching different tutorials for about three hours now trying to figure out all these huds and learning about Omega which I always heard of but had no idea it was this useful. It's a slow coming process but I hope to have her looking okay and in her one outfit she's allowed per year as soon as I make this face not look like the Joker. 

The struggle of being me, I swear. 

I have over 50k inventory items and a good portion of that is clothes. I have over 300 Outfits saved in Appearance.

I tend to wear an outfit for about a week but, I may change outfits several times a day depending on what I am doing or where I am going. For a UG meeting I'll wear the week's outfit, which is conservative, by my standards. But, I change for the Topless Cruising event.

I, of course, am normal. 🤣

There are Lindens that have never changed their look in all the time I have known them.

The point of SL is to enjoy it. How we do that is up to each of us, provided we don't inflict ourselves on others.

• Like 1

Like other said there are some amazing designers out there who give away completely free things.  My favorite just happens to be the shop named after a fruit- I don't know if we're allowed to name names or not.  But I tend to go with the less stylish things and just go with basic components like cardigans and jeans.  and one idea if you do want to build on your inventory is to go into the marketplace and look in the gatcha listings. Looooooots of things there for the body that you chose under 10L.  Same for hair.  

Absolutely nothing wrong with wearing the same thing for even the life of your avatar.  For me I like to buy shoes and wigs.  I was graced with exceptionally large wide feet that can only fit into men's sneakers.  And my hair is thin and dry as straw so it's always bound up on the top of my head.  Second Life allows me to have big bouncy peg Bundy hair and wear fancy stripper heels and cutesy tennis shoes.  😍

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko
  • Like 1

Ha! I've often worn the same clothes for weeks on end. (That's what you get for being cooped up on a private island for so long). It's only with the advent of Bellisseria, that I began to realize how limited my wardrobe really is. Went with a whole new Catwa head and Maitreya body, the other day, and am now working on expanding my wardrobe based on Maitreya compatible clothes.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

My favorite just happens to be the shop named after a fruit- I don't know if we're allowed to name names or not. 

Saying what your favorite is isn't a problem. 

There gets to be a problem when someone is obviously advertising a brand, especially their brand. But, people recommend brands all the time.

I don't have stock in Slink. I love the Physique body. If asked which I like or recommend, that is my answer. If I owned Slink, doing that COULD be a problem depending on how obnoxious and prolific I was about it.

• Like 2

On 8/6/2019 at 2:02 AM, pinkpatrol said:

As I said I would...

I now have the option of popping this avatar on when I want...which probably won't be too often. I like my little ones too much, but it is good to have options!

1Violeta.png

Violeta.png

I get this is an avi thread; and yours is adorable, for sure. But I'm really digging that room/home of yours too, with the indented stars too. ❤️

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1728 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.