Really debating about quitting Second Life

nathkyo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1787 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I started playing Second Life (7 years 5 months; 2730 days) I played it for a couple days but didn't have a really good computer and didn't have really anyone to talk to so I stopped playing it for almost 5 years I managed to remember and get back into my account after so long. But with the new rules on buying Linden and the fees that will come from inactivity. I am seriously debating on whether or not to keep coming to here most virtual chat   do not have an inactivity fee. Why should this site have the same and to be taking it out of your bank account without warning or permission.  It's bad when imvu is looking a little bit better than Second Life. Please give me your thoughts

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Inactivity fee only applies as follows

If I’m only using Linden Dollars, does this impact me at all?
No. If you are only using Linden Dollars, and do not have a USD balance, the ID requirements and the inactivity fee has no impact on your ability to continue using Second Life. For example, it doesn’t impact or change your ability to pay for Land Tier or other activities with Linden Dollars.

Does this inactivity fee apply to the Lindens I have stored in my account?
No. This fee would only apply to those accounts with USD balances which have not accessed their Tilia account in any way (for example, to check balance) or had any credit processing transactions over a period of 12 months or more.

So if you are not keeping a USD balance you do not need to worry about an inactivity fee. If you do have USD balance then I think just logging into your account on the Second Life website should suffice to prevent the fee. I believe you can buy lindens just as before. It's only when you want to cash out (i.e. convert to USD and get it transferred to Paypal) that you need all the ID verification stuff. So again, unless you are planning on doing that nothing will change for you.

More info in the official thread:

Edited by Evangeline Arcadia
  • Like 10

42 minutes ago, nathkyo said:

Please give me your thoughts

My thought is you might consider to actually read up on the topic before making decisions based on inaccurate information. It's not like it has not been endlessly discussed and explained here already how this fee will not affect you at all.

Edited by Zeta Vandyke
spelling
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

If you want to leave for some other reasons, that's fine, but first: get rid of whoever got you all worked up about this trivial thing that will never affect you -- nor most of us -- in any noticeable way. Don't listen to them again, they're doing you harm.

Then, after you've immunized yourself from their toxic influence, take a moment to ask yourself why you were vulnerable to it in the first place. This can be an important life lesson, maybe preventing future bad influences over matters more significant than a video game.

• Like 10

I took some time to read the   I took some time to read up about it and it still has me very worried it says nothing about having money in the account or anything . It says for a period of inactivity . After 12 months of inactivity and it says that they will be taking over all credit payments . Say for some reason but I have the same issue I had almost 7 years ago  all the suddenly I'm hit with 10000.00 inactivity fee  that would literally bankrupt me. And they have not exactly been clear on anything

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, nathkyo said:

I have the same issue I had almost 7 years ago  all the suddenly I'm hit with 10000.00 inactivity fee

this is simply impossible. That never excisted in SL, and still doesn't.
Also think about reading the txt a few times more, because you very selective pick some things out of it, and out of context, possibly because english isn't your main language?

As long you do nót transfer money out of SL you will get no concequenses at all.
If you have a amount of USD on your account (nót L$)  .. you only have to login on that for once a year, or put a cent on it to keep active.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 4

Oh for ...

Read it again. And again. And again. And again.

Continue to read the information given until it sinks in.

What those who have responded here are saying is how it is phrased and how it will be set up, answers for your concerns were already given and do not match at al with your personal take.

If you wish to close down your account and leave, do so but do not pretend this recent announcement/change is the reason for it.

And yes, the above is aimed at everyone that is reacting in any similar manner.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, nathkyo said:

I took some time to read the   I took some time to read up about it and it still has me very worried it says nothing about having money in the account or anything . It says for a period of inactivity . After 12 months of inactivity and it says that they will be taking over all credit payments . Say for some reason but I have the same issue I had almost 7 years ago  all the suddenly I'm hit with 10000.00 inactivity fee  that would literally bankrupt me. And they have not exactly been clear on anything

Or, you could make a brand new avatar and start over.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, nathkyo said:

and it says that they will be taking over all credit payments

What do you think that means? It seems to bother you. It simply means that LL is using this new subsidiary, Tilia, to handle the process of paying residents when they withdraw US$s from their accounts, making sure the process complies with all the reporting required by the US Treasury. But again, what did you think it meant?

Also, are you somehow thinking that this "inactivity fee" could be larger than the amount of US$s in the account??

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, nathkyo said:

I will assume it is a language thing, which is understandable. So very simply:

• If you do not have real worlds American Dollars $  account in Second Life, there will NEVER be an innactivity fee

So if you only have Linden Dollars (L$) they will NOT take an inactivity fee from that

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, nathkyo said:

This can't happen. Even if you have a USD balance, and even if you don't log in for twelve months, it cannot take your balance below zero. You can't go into the negative and you won't be charged a huge bill somewhere down the line. As others have said, it doesn't look like you're someone who'll be impacted by this in any way, other than having to click "accept" when the new system goes into place.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BelindaN said:

There's a video game? 😮

Sims 4.. Its kind of fun..  

7 hours ago, nathkyo said:

I started playing Second Life (7 years 5 months; 2730 days) I played it for a couple days but didn't have a really good computer and didn't have really anyone to talk to so I stopped playing it for almost 5 years I managed to remember and get back into my account after so long. But with the new rules on buying Linden and the fees that will come from inactivity. I am seriously debating on whether or not to keep coming to here most virtual chat   do not have an inactivity fee. Why should this site have the same and to be taking it out of your bank account without warning or permission.  It's bad when imvu is looking a little bit better than Second Life. Please give me your thoughts

I can haz ur stuffs?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, nathkyo said:

There's a few problems here. The latter, the Tilia issue, has already been addressed by others before me so I won't comment on that since there's little point. I'd just be repeating what's already been said.

What I want to address here is the start of your post; your computer was bad and you didn't have anyone to talk to so you didn't return for five years. Five years is a long time by anyone's standards. Depending on who you talk to there hasn't been a great deal of change in SL for a long time, and now recently changes seem to be rolling out at least once a month. Even I feel like a noob when I return after a break for a month or two until I find my feet again. Change can be jarring and stressful, especially for those already struggling to begin with. Forgive me for making assumptions, and no offence is intended if I am assuming wrongly, but by your opening statement the fact you didn't have anyone to talk to makes me think you were or are a bit of a loner? Maybe it's more of a challenge to meet other people and make friends? Maybe SL wasn't or isn't as inviting as you'd like it to be, so it's another stressful factor on top of change, and the Tilia issue, and any other issues that may also be contributing to this in other aspects of your life? (None of which I'm going to speculate about as it's no-one's business. That's not the point I'm trying to make).

The point I AM trying to make is this; could this feeling you have regarding quitting not just be about Tilia, but could it be a culmination of all these factors?

• Like 6

@nathkyo The other thing to perhaps think over is the very real possibility of becoming a creator. Creating and selling items will pretty much bring you into contact with people along the way and in any event, depending on what kind of content you create, chances are you'll end up being too busy to notice the rest of SL anyway.

Aside from others already explaining all the reasons why Tilia won't affect you (aside from agreeing - ugh - to something you may never use), it would be sad to lose you.

Heck, feel free to IM me inworld if you'd like to chat with someone :)

• Like 2

The inactivity fee is a common practice to allow companies to get money off the books. Someone's money is sitting in an account. Assume they die. The account is not listed in the person's assets. No one knows it is there except the company holding it. They either have to track the person down and get permission to do something with the money (Dead - Difficult to do) or keep it on the books forever.

At some point the governments often step in and take the money. That too is a hassle for the companies.

The inactivity fees give the companies a way to clear the books.

If you think checking your balance once a year is too much trouble... I would like to offer you a free checking account where you'll NEVER have to check the balance... 😈

On 7/12/2019 at 12:17 AM, Qie Niangao said:

If you want to leave for some other reasons, that's fine, but first: get rid of whoever got you all worked up about this trivial thing that will never affect you -- nor most of us -- in any noticeable way. Don't listen to them again, they're doing you harm.

Then, after you've immunized yourself from their toxic influence, take a moment to ask yourself why you were vulnerable to it in the first place. This can be an important life lesson, maybe preventing future bad influences over matters more significant than a video game.

...more significant than a video game.

This would be good advice for any area of one's life where they have to rely on others for information. Like political news...

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Erwin Solo said:

You edited my sentence and misrepresented it as a quote , not only deleting words at the end, but also in the middle. 

Yes. Because if you say that SL is just a chat environment, you can also say that RL is just a chat environment. Both are entire worlds: RL the real one,SL a virtual one.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1787 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.