The Non Linden Home Picture Thread - Mainland Only

Ingrid Ingersoll

about legacy mainland tiny parcels, odd parcel shapes, building on the boundary, having a neighbour who gets co-operative building in the shared view, and another neighbour who is working on it but is ok because they are still learning

some pics of my 96m 12x12 triangle roadside parcel

shed_front.thumb.jpg.87fcd98e6f7e28ee140b6e6ef4b62d6e.jpgshed_back.thumb.jpg.c5b4962060f974d6d29d4b46eccc3e55.jpgshed_side.thumb.jpg.8a91f91cfb8a7ae807717b5cce70ea6a.jpg

this tiny parcel was abandoned. I put in a ticket to snaffle it to make up my LI count on the same region to the group bonus for 1024m tier

the thing was, what can I do with it ?  I had the idea beforehand that it would house some kinda vehicle. I decided to go with a tractor

pretty much everything that could be wrong with a parcel, was wrong. Tiny, L-shape and the terrain was munted. The terrain on the abandoned parcel behind is reverted to Lumpy. My neighbour to the right has a wall enclosing their property. My neighbour to the left is learning how to build and mount stuff, which has been a work in progress for some weeks now, but all good because learning

so while I am looking at all this a few days after I got it, enter my neighbour to the right. We have a chat about what could be done. He then lowers his parcel edge under his wall, in a way which doesn't disrupt his build. He then says it will be ok for me to encroach on to his property up to the wall, in the interests of making the shared view look tidy. Good neighbour yes, best kind actually

I ended up building a retaining wall at the back of my property, right on the boundary because of the munted terrain. On top of a prim base using the Linden library terrain texture. Then did  what I could with my parcel terrain to be able to drive my tractor on and off the road into the shed

should anyone buy the parcel behind then I will be open to working in with them should they want. In the same way that my neighbour to the right is open to this

open meaning that we don't ever expect, or even want, our neighbours to tear down what they make to please our idea of what is acceptable. Just working together in a complementary way, with the shared view uppermost in our minds

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mollymews said:

i saw a white box house that Blush posted in this thread:

and I thought I could something like that out of prims. So I did

Snapshot_001.thumb.jpg.38ef37b788b2a51d5041421cd861b6fd.jpgSnapshot_009.thumb.jpg.0ddd408ddb768e42263bc9aee9c0f22c.jpgSnapshot_005.thumb.jpg.fbc0bf4bb35774a2f3921b50511401b7.jpgSnapshot_008.thumb.jpg.71a88c6777836a643470bb98de820baf.jpg

me needs this, me wants this........................................................................

• Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 7:14 PM, karynmaria said:

me needs this, me wants this........................................................................

i put the house in a Touch to get giver box on my tractor shed parcel here: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Fyre%20Maven/55/103/27

anyone can get/have if they want. Is really just an example of how to make a house with prims old school style from my pov

it sits on poles so it can work on a sloped parcel. Lower it down into the ground to suit

has a footprint of 24 x 12, so will fit on a 1024m with 4 meters to the boundary on each of the 24m length sides

is one complete linked object so it could be scaled up/down if wanted

it doesn't come with the deck shown in my pic above. Making decks depends a lot on how the parcel terrain goes. So I never included that

as painted it only uses 3 textures - the example color highlights are tints. The textures I have included in the root prim contents of the house. Can use your own textures as you like

is copy modify permissions. (I never made it full permissions as I don't really want my prims escaping into the wild). If anyone wants to use it as a helpy guide to remake something similar using their own prims then all good. Whatever anyone might make with their own prims is all their work so can do whatever they want with their own made stuff  

the door script is super simple. A mod of Void Singer - Innula Zenokova simple door example script. Modded exactly for these doors on this house

the house is a bit costly at 76LI. Only mesh are the doors. Replacing the stairs and windows with mesh could bring the LI down quite a bit

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

• 2 weeks later...

This is my Convair house on a 4096 in Ukanipo. Most of my stuff is on a sky platform so that the neighbors won't have so much to defender. The chain in the background tethers one of my neighbor's floating islands - one of the really fantastic builds in the area. (This photo shot at mid-range, so you can't see everything).

One of my alts has a houseboat in Bellisseria, a beautiful community, but sometimes it is like living in a condominium where members of the Association are all complaining that one of the resident's curtains are the wrong color.

Yes, one of my neighbors in Ukanipo has a scenic privacy screen, and another has breedables, but I'm not perfect either* Living on unzoned Mainland can be risky, but I like it.

*Yesterday I accidentally deleted the floor of my sky platform. Fortunately no one was injured. I should remember to always wear my parachute when I'm working up there.

TouristInformation-PM.jpg

Edited by Rufferta
Spelling...
  • Like 9

2 minutes ago, Rufferta said:

sometimes it is like living in a condominium where members of the Association are all complaining that one of the resident's curtains are the wrong color.

Yes, one of my neighbors in Ukanipo has a scenic privacy screen, and another has breedables, but I'm not perfect either* Living on unzoned Mainland can be risky, but I like it.

Oh, I just love this. Trust me, the randomness is what attracts me the most to mainland, even though I do love the idea of Belliseria but haven't really got into exploring the place just yet. Still at sansara and I'm loving it!

• Like 2

So happy for the house from @Mollymews.

:)

I needed a break from all the Linden homes, so I picked up this, and got the Li down to 51. It is a really nice house. If LL does not come with a modern Linden home, I can imagine living in this for a while. Got it down to 51 Li with new doors and stairs. Used a black wood texture on the outside parts too. Super generous(genious) to include the textures, I could texture the stairs with the same parquet.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/AC-Mesh-Window-Set-V2-Full-Permissions/7515743

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Basic-Stairs-FREE/9047619

white house_001.jpg

• Like 9

On 11/30/2019 at 5:01 PM, Mollymews said:

so while I am looking at all this a few days after I got it, enter my neighbour to the right. We have a chat about what could be done. He then lowers his parcel edge under his wall, in a way which doesn't disrupt his build. He then says it will be ok for me to encroach on to his property up to the wall, in the interests of making the shared view look tidy. Good neighbour yes, best kind actually

You got lucky there.

In the past when I have tried talking to neighbors, I have often gotten all-caps Ayn Rand quoters or similar coming back at me before the ban lines and glowing prims start appearing... O.o

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

You got lucky there.

i find most people are pretty ok

tbf tho I don't ever remember initiating a first contact with any neighbour I have had. Those who do initiate contact with me I find to be pretty friendly. Like the neighbour with the wall. They contacted me initiaally to say Hi! Welcome to the neighbourhood, and our chat went from there.  So pretty ok means that the friendly neighbours are self-selecting I suppose

this is not to say that I get on with every neighbour.  I have been added to a few of my different neighbours' parcel banlists over all my time of owning parcels

like one person who got rightly upset when they were showing a prospective tenant a rental property next door, and a vehicle I was making kinda careened off my parcel and ran them both over while making lots of noise and spewing particles with me on it. Which got me summarily ejected and banned with lots of swearing at even. Which I never argued about because I was wrong. As the neighbour said: Did you have to do this right at this moment  bleepty bleepity bleep blepp !?!??!   Which was true, I could have done it at another time when they weren't there. So I say sorry, but still banned and oh! well and from now on be mindful of the neighbours when making stuff

mostly tho I get put on parcel banlists because I always cut a portion out of my parcel for a dressing room and set it to group access leaving the rest of the parcel to public access.  So I can get added to a neighbour's parcel banlist with a word ever being exchanged, in the tit-for-tat  way that this goes sometimes. And is their parcel, same as mine is mine, and I am not fussed when this happens

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

mostly tho I get put on parcel banlists because I always cut a portion out of my parcel for a dressing room and set it to group access leaving the rest of the parcel to public access.  So I can get added to a neighbour's parcel banlist with a word ever being exchanged, in the tit-for-tat  way that this goes sometimes. And is their parcel, same as mine is mine, and I am not fussed when this happens

You realize that's completely useless unless your dressing room is at or within 40m of ground...

A skybox with a 0-second no warn eject is more effective.

Basically rez a prim that is a cube of Xm size. Put a skybox inside it. In the very middle put a security orb that ejects anyone within a range of 49.99% of X, instantly. Make the prim a solid color - you won't see it on the inside, but people outside will see it and bounce right off of it.

- works at any height and they get tossed before you even know they're there, and it DOESN'T put lines all over the ground, mess up scripted vehicles, or ever get noticed by neighbors.

• Like 1

Just now, Pussycat Catnap said:

You realize that's completely useless unless your dressing room is at or within 40m of ground...

A skybox with a 0-second no warn eject is more effective.

i live on the ground.  My parcel is on the edge of a Linden water region with a sunset view across the water.  I paid heaps for this view and I am going to have it

banlines are preemptive. Scripted orbs are not, they kill after the fact. I know that some vehicle people don't like banlines. What vehicle people like even less tho are sec orbs that kill on a fast timer

being a vehicle person myself I personally prefer to see banlines when on a vehicle as I get a much better indication of where not to ride my vehicle. And with the Catznip minimap showing parcel boundaries on the region to guide me, then I can't remember the last time I ran off the public-right-of-way and hit a banline

my dressing room parcel is 12 x 8 meters and the top of the banline box is at 72 meters.  If any one ever does manage to hit this and get stuck, then the rest of my parcel is public access and rez enabled.  So they can rez another vehicle if they need to and carry on

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

When I was editing the White box house in a sandbox, I let an alt abandon a Linden Home. I set him up with auto-refresh and he had a new home after 10 min. I was suddenly tired of decorating the same houses. Just for the fun of it, I started to look at land sales below 1000 L. I found a plot that looks like it was made for the White box house. So well, what is 850 L? I spend more on a sale. A lot more. I let him abandon the LHome and now he has land.

The area is nice. No skyboxes over the head. A few full bright and glow objects that I derender. There was room for a terrace, and I built an add-on, a bath. It is really very easy to just change prim houses. I moved the door up and got a nice tv nook under the stairs.

And if I log in tomorrow to find full bright 2007-castles and 64 m walls around me, I dust off an ONSU skybox and move up in the sky. This is not my permanent home. I needed a break from the Linden Homes, I have lived in Bellisseria since April. New theme soon maybe?

I would not spend 8000-10 000 L on Mainland,  too much when I have a Linden Home already....

But it was REALLY fun to work with the White box, and people who see it compliment the layout. It is a clever house.

Thank you again,  @Mollymews🥰

mainland_009.jpg

mainland_008.jpg

mainland_005.jpg

mainland_004.jpg

mainland_003.jpg

mainland_001.jpg

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 18

38 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

mainland_008.jpg

mainland_005.jpg

i love this extension, Marianne. Is really well done. I am happy that you are happy :)

and you are right.  While mesh houses can and do look great, when we are into modding then when it comes to box houses, prims can still shine

i just want to add on here some thoughts about design aspects. The thoughts are not mean't as a definitive, just something to think about when we make houses

the position of the default avatar camera, above and behind the avatar, can make things look and feel cramped. What we can do to help with this from a design perspective is to create a first impression of spaciousness. First impression being the most important psychological effect as to whether we like to be in a space or not

the front entrance to this house opens into a foyer which is only 6 meters wide. But is 10 meters high, with a full length window at the front letting in a view from the outside, and quite wide openings (not internal doors) to other rooms/spaces in the house yet also giving the impression that those other spaces retain a sense of separation. The first impression is that the foyer space is larger than what it actually is. Having the other spaces/rooms on 3 different levels, rather than only 2 levels, varies the height of the openings which also helps add to the impression of spaciousness in this foyer

the first impression is pretty much the single most important thing in any design. Sometimes we see a house which has an amazing exterior. Yet when we go inside the front door it doesn't feel as good as it looks from the outside. Is as visually pretty inside as it is outside, but we feel something is a little bit off/wrong  This feeling is pretty much always caused by not doing what we can, within the limitations, to create a sense of spaciousness in the foyer/lobby/entrance. So my suggestion for home builders is to think more about this design aspect if they haven't already

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
On 1/4/2020 at 10:44 PM, Marianne Little said:

When I was editing the White box house in a sandbox, I let an alt abandon a Linden Home. I set him up with auto-refresh and he had a new home after 10 min. I was suddenly tired of decorating the same houses. Just for the fun of it, I started to look at land sales below 1000 L. I found a plot that looks like it was made for the White box house. So well, what is 850 L? I spend more on a sale. A lot more. I let him abandon the LHome and now he has land.

The area is nice. No skyboxes over the head. A few full bright and glow objects that I derender. There was room for a terrace, and I built an add-on, a bath. It is really very easy to just change prim houses. I moved the door up and got a nice tv nook under the stairs.

And if I log in tomorrow to find full bright 2007-castles and 64 m walls around me, I dust off an ONSU skybox and move up in the sky. This is not my permanent home. I needed a break from the Linden Homes, I have lived in Bellisseria since April. New theme soon maybe?

I would not spend 8000-10 000 L on Mainland,  too much when I have a Linden Home already....

But it was REALLY fun to work with the White box, and people who see it compliment the layout. It is a clever house.

Thank you again,  @Mollymews🥰

Once again: great great great work, I'm impressed by you decor skills. That huge wall painting looks just perfect, like made to be there

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My corner of the mainland grid. Parcel is in Swinside on the East Coast of Sansara. Had it landscaped to my liking. In my 15 years in SL, this is my first time owning mainland. Picked up this parcel on the 7th of Feb.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Swinside/74/253/21

FB_IMG_1581538643483.jpg

FB_IMG_1581582518458.jpg

Edited by Darron Turner
Add link and additional picture
  • Like 18

I set out this evening to go for a ride around my land. Maybe I'm just extraordinarily lucky, but I came across some stunningly beautiful places. There were also some eyesores, yes, but I found that the nice places far outweighed those. Admittedly, I've not ventured off the Atoll to explore any other continents and maybe those are all sh*tholes, but the areas surrounding me are, for the most part, just fabulous. 

1379779706_Mainland1Small.thumb.png.be216ba7177a318a5e0716bb2425dcf2.png

1450609582_Mainland2Small.thumb.png.035502839fda5bafbc176b5e258f8e99.png

Sometimes I think we're so used to looking for the bad that we forget to see the good. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

I gave up my foo-foo house plot with Apple Fall house and moved over to a really big modern house with ocean view for 100 a week. Well, do that math LOL.   I did very well with my 300 land impact but wanted to be able to play more so got my allotment bumped up another 100.  This let me put more modernesce bushes out front as well as a new open office under the stairwell. 

architect.thumb.jpg.9bc9278afff6fd97a407be1c1ebcd333.jpg

xenosaur.thumb.jpg.371ee92c36d22393b4becb6b015354ce.jpg

• Like 11

On 2/19/2020 at 1:21 PM, Chic Aeon said:

I gave up my foo-foo house plot with Apple Fall house and moved over to a really big modern house with ocean view for 100 a week. Well, do that math LOL.   I did very well with my 300 land impact but wanted to be able to play more so got my allotment bumped up another 100.  This let me put more modernesce bushes out front as well as a new open office under the stairwell. 

architect.thumb.jpg.9bc9278afff6fd97a407be1c1ebcd333.jpg

xenosaur.thumb.jpg.371ee92c36d22393b4becb6b015354ce.jpg

Office furniture is your design?

Do you want to reply here, or send me a PM with the rental office name? I like the house very much. I have to go there and look closer. It is the same style as my Palm View Roost home, but that is too big for a single lady.

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

Office furniture is your design?

Do you want to reply here, or send me a PM with the rental office name? I like the house very much. I have to go there and look closer. It is the same style as my Palm View Roost home, but that is too big for a single lady.

No,  office furniture is BAMSE (a gacha).   You can rent from the boxes in front of the houses.   NOW there are various choices of  land impact and prices for "my" house and a bunch of other designs.   Just look around the sim.     Two of this style available (different land impacts). 

They are here:  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Xenosaur/129/195/63

One has a garage, the other doesn't. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Thanks 1

On 1/3/2020 at 12:38 AM, Mollymews said:

they were showing a prospective tenant a rental property next door, and a vehicle I was making kinda careened off my parcel and ran them both over while making lots of noise and spewing particles with me on it.

I'd find that to be a selling point, to have a wacky neighbor lol

• Haha 2

On 2/19/2020 at 9:23 AM, Beth Macbain said:

Sometimes I think we're so used to looking for the bad that we forget to see the good. 

That, is on point. In many cases indeed. Well, I guess we have to expose ourselves to more good then. Like maybe say, eventually, moment by moment, collecting quality Landmarks into a folder. So that one day, there is this whole folder of good places, and that would be good enough to remind ourselves of the good rather than the 'always existing anyways' bad?

• Like 1