New homes, new price

Sylvia Tamalyn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1775 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Β 
Β 
8 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Patch has stated a time or two that the old Linden Homes will eventually be going away (sometime between six months [doubtful] and a year and a half depending on the quote and the time it was made).Β  They will not go away I am sure when that would put a large group of old Linden Home users out on the street. So EVENTUALLY the supply will catch up with the demand and everyone that wants a LH will have one.Β  Β Maybe not always the STYLE they want, but something.

*nod*

It'll still probably be years till I actually move.Β  The whole business of needing to pack up my house BEFORE I start trying to find a replacement is just a very poorly thought out process. Heck, as it sits, I'm not even sure I know how to search for what's available.Β  I think I need to do it on an alt that doesn't already have a Linden Home.Β  Why oh why can't I just do this the obvious way?

Step 1:Β  Search for homes I might see as an upgrade.

Step 2:Β  Secure the new home.

Step 3:Β  Pack up and move

Step 4:Β  Release old home.

You know... the way pretty much EVERYONE does it in the real world... and for exactly the same reasons.Β  Yes, I know it's possible if you play enough games with the system to mitigate at least some of the process hell.Β  But honestly, needing to spend a few days studying how to move just seems wrong somehow.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Damian Mills said:

It'll still probably be years till I actually move.Β 

Not if you are in a current Linden Home.Β  I got the impression that once there are enough homes available for everyone, LL will pretty much force everyone in the older homes to vacate the property.

Β 

8 minutes ago, Damian Mills said:

Heck, as it sits, I'm not even sure I know how to search for what's available.Β  I think I need to do it on an alt that doesn't already have a Linden Home.Β 

Actually, if you are willing to incur the tier for 512 sqm for one month, you can adjust your Land Fees setting and that will let you search for and claim a new home before releasing your current one.

Otherwise, the system just can't figure out how to let you have both, for even a few minutes, and not charge you for extra tier usage or even to get past the rule of one Linden Home per Account.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Not if you are in a current Linden Home.Β  I got the impression that once there are enough homes available for everyone, LL will pretty much force everyone in the older homes to vacate the property.

While that has certainly been stated officially, those statements (the ones that I heard and read) were made BEFORE the first release of homes. While LL says that they knew the first wave of houses would go quickly, I don't think they realilzed how many OLDTIMERS were going to become premium or make alts premium to get one of the "starter homes" that were "meant for" "new folks" LOL.Β  Β So that end of the year statement about retiring the old Linden homes "must" no longer be on the table --- at least I can't see how that can happen when there is such a shortage of homes and no reason to believe that plotsΒ  will start miraculously appearing at a muchΒ  faster rate. (ActuallyΒ  I think the method they are using is a very good one for a variety of reasons).Β 

Β 

EVENTUALLY the old homes will disappear, but taking them off the grid before the majority of 512 folks have had an opportunity to move would be a dire decision.Β  When we get to the point that it takes a dayΒ  for the new release homes to be claimed, THEN we will be closer. That's my thinking anyway.Β 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Leninah said:

Β 

Well I wasn’t asking for one of β€˜your’ parcels, just for you to prove your claim that it was no trouble to find equivalent use in mainland for the 1,024 sqm tier. I’m not at all surprised you decline 😊

Β 

I’m not β€˜complaining’ either I’m asking for a date when these will be available. Perfectly reasonable thing to do. I am paying the subscription fee too, but I don’t see why asking for an idea when the new homes will be available for all that want them will be is such sacrilege to so many!

Β 

I hear Maggie and realize the reality of this situation is its not going to change, the new homes will arrive if and when LL get around to it, and nothing is really going to expedite that. That's not good, its pretty poor to be honest, but that doesn't mean we aren't entitled to point that out.

Actually there is a lot of land available, some as good or even better that's abandoned which means you can put in a ticket and get it at 1L/m. This includes land on protected water, roads, and rail. You might have to search it out, but it does exist and is almost always next to parcels that people are trying to sell for many times that. I have some land I got that way and thus haven't bothered with the new Linden Homes.Β 

As for a hard date, you aren't going to get one. You could keep an eye on the currently sims at the edge of the already occupied ones and get a reasonable idea of how things are going and if you try enough you can get one even now as people are giving them up occasionally. In case you didn't know, the Moles aren't paid to do what they do. They are volunteers making cool stuff for us all over the grid, not just on Bellisseria. I assume you've read the rules on banlines and orbs because you seem the type to move into a crowded neigborhood and then complain about how many others there are around and in Bellisseria, you won't be able to put up invisiwalls to keep people away.Β 

There is this little thing called SL16B coming up as well which is sort of a bigger deal to many than your issue.Β 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

While that has certainly been stated officially, those statements (the ones that I heard and read) were made BEFORE the first release of homes. While LL says that they knew the first wave of houses would go quickly, I don't think they realilzed how many OLDTIMERS were going to become premium or make alts premium to get one of the "starter homes" that were "meant for" "new folks" LOL.Β  Β So that end of the year statement about retiring the old Linden homes "must" no longer be on the table --- at least I can't see how that can happen when there is such a shortage of homes and no reason to believe that plotsΒ  will start miraculously appearing at a muchΒ  faster rate. (ActuallyΒ  I think the method they are using is a very good one for a variety of reasons).Β 

Β 

EVENTUALLY the old homes will disappear, but taking them off the grid before the majority of 512 folks have had an opportunity to move would be a dire decision.Β  When we get to the point that it takes a dayΒ  for the new release homes to be claimed, THEN we will be closer. That's my thinking anyway.Β 

Well they sure as heck won't kick everyone out if they don't have a place for them to go, with spares, but it is also highly unlikely that it will be "years", as the person I quoted said.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Crim Mip said:

In case you didn't know, the Moles aren't paid to do what they do.ο»Ώ

The Moles are Resident builders, scripters, texturers and sculpty-makers empoyed by Linden Lab to work in the Linden Department for Public Works (LDPW). They are paid an hourly rate.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Damian Mills said:

Why oh why can't I just do this the obvious way?

Step 1:Β  Search for homes I might see as an upgrade.

Step 2:Β  Secure the new home.

Step 3:Β  Pack up and move

Step 4:Β  Release old home.

i get what you saying, and why you are saying it, and I think that it is quite a good idea

on claiming a new Linden Home then when we have only used 512m of our 1024m allowance on old mainland or old Linden Home, we get a 24 hour grace period, before the $US4 tier schedule bump kicks in. Don't abandon the old within the 24 hours then the extra tier is charged

Β 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Well they sure as heck won't kick everyone out if they don't have a place for them to go, with spares, but it is also highly unlikely that it will be "years", as the person I quoted said.

Well it only takes two to become "years" :D.Β  There are certainly some current projects that are working there way into that territory, so I could see "two".Β  Hopefully not more than that. Since there is a contingent that really WANTS to stay in the old home (more space, fewer walls seem to be the selling points vocalized) maybe that's an OK thing.Β 

@Crim I think this is one of the main constructive reasons forums exist, to share experiences, knowledge and information. Your experience of mainland parcels seems very different from mine. I have looked for a long time for mainland parcels that shared the defining characteristics of Linden homes i.e. 1) Reasonably priced (given Linden homes are free to purchase) 2) In a nice environment 3) Not overcrowded 4) Performant If you are finding these and I am not I would ask you where I should be looking? I have been all over the grid and I just don’t see them. If anyone can share some helpful advice on locations, I’d feel this was productive and helpful.

I have tried keeping an eye on existing development but again I’m probably looking in the wrong area, I’ve been watching this area β€˜Protected Land, SSPE94 (167, 10, 40) – Moderate’ for ages and it doesn’t change. A few incomplete roads and nothing else for months. I have heard others say they’ve seen activity, I just can’t find where.

Β 

Oh and no I am not β€œthe type to move into a crowded neigborhood and then complain about how many others there are around” If I were, I’d have already done that and be β€˜complaining’ about that not trying to avoid it wouldn’t I? I’m sure SL16B is a bigger issue and there’s probably another thread for that, this one is β€˜New Homes, New price’

@Angie Really? Hourly rate not fixed price? Well maybe that sheds some light on why completion is unpredictable and takes so long! πŸ˜‰

LHCS.jpg

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

ο»Ώ Not if you are in a current Linden Home.Β  I got the impression that once there are enough homes available for everyone, LL will pretty much force everyone in the older homes to vacate the property.

Errrr - when there are enough homes around this will not be neccessarry anymore.Β But look at the current rate of releases... what makes you think "years from now" is a bad estimate for that point of development?

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

Since there is a contingent that really WANTS to stay in the old home (more space, fewer walls seem to be the selling points vocalized) maybe that's an OK thing.Β 

Don't forget "more privacy".

9 minutes ago, Leninah said:

I have been all over the grid and I just don’t see them. If anyone can share some helpful advice on locations, I’d feel this was productive and helpful.

where Linden have previously set up similar

Brown region was the first suburban-ish region (roads etc) when the color regions came to the grid way back when

in terms of pathways between parcels I think Lusk region was one of the first attempts by Linden to create a community setting.Β  The people who moved in to Lusk region are pretty much still there today and the community there continues as it always has

after that then the Shermerville regions across the long bridge from Miramare region (Miramare City) east of Bay City.Β  Shermerville was intended as a residential suburb and most people in Shermerville still respect that

Β 

52 minutes ago, Leninah said:

@Angie Really? Hourly rate not fixed price? Well maybe that sheds some light on why completion is unpredictable and takes so long! πŸ˜‰

I found that out on wiki.secondlife.com.Β I don't know exactly. Also not whether they are paid in $ or L$.

But what I do know is that LL doesn't want Copy Pasta and manually creating new continents/lindenΒ homes is very time consuming and labor intensive. There are also new themes being developed that will be exhibited on SL16B.

I can understand your frustration. But if you really want a new Linden Home NOW, use AutoRefresh Plus. You'll see, the Linden Homes are eagerly waiting for youΒ with this thing.Β 

Where there's a will there's a way.Β You can do it!Β ;)Β 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Leninah said:

@Crim I think this is one of the main constructive reasons forums exist, to share experiences, knowledge and information. Your experience of mainland parcels seems very different from mine. I have looked for a long time for mainland parcels that shared the defining characteristics of Linden homes i.e. 1) Reasonably priced (given Linden homes are free to purchase) 2) In a nice environment 3) Not overcrowded 4) Performant If you are finding these and I am not I would ask you where I should be looking? I have been all over the grid and I just don’t see them. If anyone can share some helpful advice on locations, I’d feel this was productive and helpful.

Β 

I have tried keeping an eye on existing development but again I’m probably looking in the wrong area, I’ve been watching this area β€˜Protected Land, SSPE94 (167, 10, 40) – Moderate’ for ages and it doesn’t change. A few incomplete roads and nothing else for months. I have heard others say they’ve seen activity, I just can’t find where.

Β 

Β 

Oh and no I am not β€œthe type to move into a crowded neigborhood and then complain about how many others there are around” If I were, I’d have already done that and be β€˜complaining’ about that not trying to avoid it wouldn’t I? I’m sure SL16B is a bigger issue and there’s probably another thread for that, this one is β€˜New Homes, New price’

Β 

Β 

LHCS.jpg

sent you a private message

2 minutes ago, AngieRath said:

But what I do know is that LL doesn't want Copy Pasta and manually creating new continents/lindenΒ homes is very time consuming and labor intensive.

i do wonder about this a bit

is clear that the LDPW people don't want to clone the estate. But the LL senior executive group may decide otherwise should the wait time for further custom-made estates take too long to build

i hope that this doesn't happen, but it couldΒ 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Moles are currently my heroes, I enjoy the work they have done in Bellisseria so much!
  • I'd never heard of Lusk, so went to look just now (looks a bit like the old linden homes but with a different theme?) I'm sure there are other places I haven't heard of / visited yet.
  • I have so much to say about my search for land on mainland that it would get way too long to read.
  • It would be really handy to see an example of a plot in mainland that someone considers to be a decent buy, just to get a feel for what people are talking about.

Β 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

That is seriously insulting toward the Moles. Pathetic.

I'm not sure there's anything I can say you won't misconstrue in a bad light, however no I didn't mean it ironically nor did I direct it at the 'moles' or anyone personal. It's a general comment on the pros and cons of engaging contract work on either a T&M (Time & Materials or Hourly in this case) or Fixed Price. The saying goes 'Pay fixed price they do the work, pay T&M they do the hours' Its a general comment, not as you're falsely repeating it a slur of any kind on anyone. That's more your game than mine.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1775 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.