New homes, new price

Sylvia Tamalyn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1766 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

20 hours ago, Leninah said:

I hear Maggie and realize the reality of this situation is its not going to change, the new homes will arrive if and when LL get around to it, and nothing is really going to expedite that.

The bold portion above tells me all I need to know about how you feel about the Lindens and the Moles. They are working their butts off to get a ton of new homes and boats ready to go very soon, as well as preparing for SL16B.

And being on an hourly rate rather than a fixed rate insures work gets done. If they aren't on the clock and working, they don't get paid. If you're close to the area where they are working, you can actually see the work happening right in front of your face. LL isn't going to pay anyone any rate if they can't see progress towards the goals they've set. I'm a salaried worker... and check me out, sitting here at my desk, getting paid, goofing off on the SL forums. 😋

Note: I have two monitors and I'm really and truly doing Very Important Work Type Things as well as goofy off! Mostly!

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

This, this, and this!!!

How do you complain about complaining without complaining?

I asked a question about dates for the new homes, and the price rise. That seemed to provoke an angry backlash which still bewilders me. Anyway I got my answer and as far as I'm concerned that is that. If the follow up name calling could stop that would be great.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Sometimes complaining is so outrageous, it is indistinguishable from trolling.

Oh come on - as if the usual suspect's reactions to the complaints about the lack of houses were better - some of them are downright insulting.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

You are the one who said the words, so the implied insults are all yours.

I implied nothing I made a comment about the pros and cons of T&M vs Fixed price which was relevant to the conversation. Any implications didn't come from me. I avoid insults generally though sometimes that does seem harder to do than others. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Oh come on - as if the usual suspect's reactions to the complaints about the lack of houses were better - some of them are downright insulting.

I don’t disagree, but as insulting in the forums should or may be against community guidelines, you’d assume people know not to. Conclusion, anyone who deliberately breaks community guidelines may be trolling.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Leninah said:

I implied nothing I made a comment about the pros and cons of T&M vs Fixed price which was relevant to the conversation. Any implications didn't come from me. I avoid insults generally though sometimes that does seem harder to do than others. 

So, professional workers are not motivated unless you pay them “per piecework”? Was that part of your implication?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

So, professional workers are not motivated unless you pay them “per piecework”? Was that part of your implication?

Not exactly, and there was no implication its a standard maxim that if you pay a supplier for the finished product to an agreed specification of quality and allow them to use the time and resources and their experience and skills as they wish, that is usually better value, quality and predictability than paying them for just the time it takes to complete the work.  I'm not sure that equates to 'piecework'?

I think it's safe to say that this thread needs to die a swift and painless death. I'm as guilty as anyone else in dragging it into the mud, but perhaps it's time to just stop?

I mean, unless someone wants to insult the Moles. I'll always defend their honor. 

But seriously, perhaps it's time to move on and find something fresh to fight about? I know we all enjoy some good down and dirty mud-slinging, but the piling on is now getting a bit too personal and not at all related to the topic at hand (again, GUILTY AS CHARGED) on both sides of this little spat. 

So... how does everyone feel about religion? 😂😂😂

1171579011_giphy(1).gif.ea9314424a6bd8e64c02e49e659bcf45.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Beth Macbain said:

I think it's safe to say that this thread needs to die a swift and painless death. I'm as guilty as anyone else in dragging it into the mud, but perhaps it's time to just stop?

I mean, unless someone wants to insult the Moles. I'll always defend their honor. 

But seriously, perhaps it's time to move on and find something fresh to fight about? I know we all enjoy some good down and dirty mud-slinging, but the piling on is now getting a bit too personal and not at all related to the topic at hand (again, GUILTY AS CHARGED) on both sides of this little spat. 

Agree 100% !!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Leninah said:

I have tried keeping an eye on existing development but again I’m probably looking in the wrong area, I’ve been watching this area ‘Protected Land, SSPE94 (167, 10, 40) – Moderate’ for ages and it doesn’t change. A few incomplete roads and nothing else for months. I have heard others say they’ve seen activity, I just can’t find where.

Areas that have new construction happening now appear to be over in the area of SSPE136, SSPE105, SSPE88 - even on the big map in the viewer you can see the green parcel boundary lines now in those regions.  Areas that are a little further along are some that have received proper names - like "New Hamsterdam".  

The best thread for following where new things are happening is the "SSP" thread.  The last few pages of it will often have pictures of new things or new work in progress sighted by residents. 

• Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, Leninah said:

Not exactly, and there was no implication its a standard maxim that if you pay a supplier for the finished product to an agreed specification of quality and allow them to use the time and resources and their experience and skills as they wish, that is usually better value, quality and predictability than paying them for just the time it takes to complete the work.  I'm not sure that equates to 'piecework'?

Didn't you previously mention that you worked in the IT field?  Or maybe just some peripheral work with IT folks or systems.  I am an IT Engineer and have worked with many IT contractors over the decades.  There are tons and tons of true professionals out there that do outstanding work on a proper schedule.  Many work as contractors rather than salaried employees with a company because they don't need the benefits and can make much more money as a contractor.  I've done it in the past and my quality of work or the amount of work that I did in a work day was never reduced simply because I was contracting.

While your views might hold water in some industries and even with some IT people, it is most definitely not the general rule with my own experience with IT contractors.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Haha! I see what you did, weaving in the 'swift'. Or, I should say, I'm only now seeing it. Sorry, little slow today. 😊

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Didn't you previously mention that you worked in the IT field?  Or maybe just some peripheral work with IT folks or systems.  I am an IT Engineer and have worked with many IT contractors over the decades.  There are tons and tons of true professionals out there that do outstanding work on a proper schedule.  Many work as contractors rather than salaried employees with a company because they don't need the benefits and can make much more money as a contractor.  I've done it in the past and my quality of work or the amount of work that I did in a work day was never reduced simply because I was contracting.

While your views might hold water in some industries and even with some IT people, it is most definitely not the general rule with my own experience with IT contractors.

OK I really am in agreement this needs to stop, and this is getting off-topic I think but as this post doesn't contain anything insulting …. No I didn't say I was in IT and this is in no way critical of contractors. Whether salaried or under contract or a third party supplier the choice of contracting for work as Fixed price or T&M is what I was referring to. I have worked in procurement for government departments which is the context of where this is coming from. I agree contractors are often just as good if not better than salaried workers and I wasn't suggesting otherwise just that Fixed price allows for the supplier to respond the best was they can, often more creatively to a specification for work rather than by the hour. It may not be completely relevant to however LL are engaging the 'moles' I really don't know, I was simply making the observation it is sometimes the cause of overrun and delay.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Haha! I see what you did, weaving in the 'swift'. Or, I should say, I'm only now seeing it. Sorry, little slow today. 😊

I will use any occasion I can to weave in the Swift since I love her more than I love puppies and kittens. 

Another useful one for this thread...

1996191574_giphy(2).gif.337ba973aa71625964825630328b38cb.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Beth Macbain said:

I will use any occasion I can to weave in the Swift since I love her more than I love puppies and kittens. 

Another useful one for this thread...

1996191574_giphy(2).gif.337ba973aa71625964825630328b38cb.gif

I forgot who initially said it, but you truly *are* the Queen of small, poignant video fragments, for every occasion! 👍 ❤️

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Leninah said:

I have worked in procurement for government departments which is the context of where this is coming from.

That explains it.  I've worked for government before.  Many contracting firms attempt to scam governments because it is usually quite easy.

Side note - minor derails / off-topic here and there are actually quite normal.  We typically don't stray too far or for too long though.

• Like 3

On 6/1/2019 at 6:34 PM, tootsiepop1 said:

Obviously, you cant read and will not continue debating with you because a year ago you had everything they had to offer you for your subscription, when they want to implement this increase I am not getting all the features why extend something that eventually is going to increase regardless but not get a answer when I will get what I am paying for. Example: Like freely giving the cable company extra money for channels you no longer get but they want to raise your monthly price and what do people do get rid of cable.

I don't think you are being fair.  You aren't paying anything more for something you don't have.  You won't pay any more until your next billing after June 24, unless you choose to.  Additionally you are given the option of extending the current rate you have been paying all along and possibly get one of the new Linden houses during that period.  You had exactly the same news as available to everyone else in Second Life for the past year. 

On 6/17/2019 at 5:28 AM, Leninah said:

I have a lot of sympathy with Tootsie on this. It is not right that some premium members get the 'full service' and others a second rate one when we all pay the same. You can't dress that up to look better I'm afraid. The new homes were released first April 16th I think it was? 

The reason they ran out in 48hrs was because the demand was greater than expected. That excuse does not hold true for the second batch though which also ran out ridiculously fast. We're now two months on and there's still no adequate supply and worse still no date for resolution.

I suspect you regret that you didn't pay any attention to the new LL Homes news in the last year and missed your chance to snag one at the outset.  I feel that LL has done an excellent job of announcing what they are working on and what their plans are, and I'm sorry that you didn't read the news that was important and affected you.  What more could LL do if you didn't offer your advice or criticism in time for it to be of any use?  They are doing their best to keep everyone informed but you must realize that LL can't force anyone to read a Blog or an email or a tweet, or a facebook post, etc.  If you are still in an older LL Home at the end of the one year old Premium rate extension, that would be an appropriate time to complain or ask for another extension of the same rate you have been paying.  Asserting objection to this Rate increase now is just complaining about something (over and over again) which hasn't even happened. 

LL understands you wish you (and everyone) had a new home all at the same time and I think it has been explained numerous times in numerous threads that creating this unique new continent is a work in progress which is being adapted and changed and improved as they complete it.

On the bright side... :D you (and everyone else) are invited to come and participate in this process.  Visit and explore freely and be part of the community as many others are doing as they also wait for more new homes.  Your opinion is as valuable as everyone else's and yours 'that it would be nice to have new homes for everyone at the same' time is duly noted, and impossible as your input on that is simply too late.  However your opinion that people are not getting what they are paying for simply isn't true.  You simply missed the news, just like everyone has missed news from time to time about a great deal or realize too late they missed a chance to have something they wanted.  The only difference is that there WILL BE ENOUGH new LL homes for everyone, as soon as they are ready! 

The best things about Bellisseria are already available to everyone!  Come and be part of it and join the fun!  There are plenty of current residents who have made their homes open and allow rezzing and exploration as well as many public resources and rez areas and friendly helpful groups who want you to come and enjoy and have fun here!  Come and celebrate and encourage and your helpful and timely input during this creation process may add something even more wonderful to this amazing place!  :D  Let's Celebrate this very RARE birth of a new continent!

• Like 10

23 hours ago, BJoyful said:

LL understands you wish you (and everyone) had a new home all at the same time and I think it has been explained numerous times in numerous threads that creating this unique new continent is a work in progress which is being adapted and changed and improved as they complete it.

This would hold water in my mind if it were just a rollout issue but it's not.  I went premier about a year ago.  When I did so, supply of the OLD Linden  Homes was terribly limited. They are STILL terribly limited.  I did not end up with the home I wanted despite these homes being copy & paste and them having more than a decade to bring supply up to demand.

My personal guess is that there is some other business driver guiding their decisions... perhaps something like wanting to put people into existing communities so we don't spread out too much?  Who knows?  Here's what I DO know.

1. The process of getting a Linden Home the very first time is convoluted and confusing.
  2. The process of moving is even more ridiculously so.
  3. In the last year and change nothing has changed in regards the supply/demand balance.
  4. I have no expectation that it will change in the future.  Accordingly, I am confident that when it is feasible to get a new Linden Home a year or two from now, I won't get the one I want or anything close to that.  I'll be picking over the bottom of the barrel.  The desirability of the lot in question will be suspect.

Just compare that to getting a private home.  You find a something you like... and there are endless choices.  You give the owner some lindens.  That's it.  You're done.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Damian Mills said:

My personal guess is that there is some other business driver guiding their decisions... perhaps something like wanting to put people into existing communities so we don't spread out too much?  Who knows?  Here's what I DO know.

1. The process of getting a Linden Home the very first time is convoluted and confusing.
  2. The process of moving is even more ridiculously so.
  3. In the last year and change nothing has changed in regards the supply/demand balance.
  4. I have no expectation that it will change in the future.  Accordingly, I am confident that when it is feasible to get a new Linden Home a year or two from now, I won't get the one I want or anything close to that.  I'll be picking over the bottom of the barrel.  The desirability of the lot in question will be suspect.

Just compare that to getting a private home.  You find a something you like... and there are endless choices.  You give the owner some lindens.  That's it.  You're done.

I feel the goal in the development of Bellisseria is to create an environment in which a community can exist, and that is exactly what is being achieved and probably also why they are in high demand.  I believe there has been an increase in the number of Premium memberships due to the desire to live in one of the new Premium LL Homes and experience what so many Bellisserians admit they have missed in SL for a very long time when they were spread too far apart from each other.

For the past year LL has been working on creating Bellisseria and doing so while understanding that these new homes would eventually replace the older homes which had not been updated since their creation in 2009/10.  I wouldn't expect they would devote more than minimum resources to maintaining the old homes which were already scheduled for replacement when you became a Premium member.  The award of homes is completely random and probably why we are allowed to abandon up to 5 times in 24 hours and find a location we like.

We didn't expect to find the amazing thriving community which has formed in Bellisseria since April 15 when I simply grabbed a Houseboat for the opportunity to have access to more sailable water and that community is what will keep us in Bellisseria from now on.  There is nothing else like Bellisseria in SL that we have found, or we'd already be there! 😄  

These homes are not Private homes, they are supplied Homes and they do have limitations and restrictions which may not suit everyone and they aren't meant to in this first new continent!  Who knows what may come in the future premium Continents!  You do have an opportunity right here to describe what YOU would like and perhaps it will affect future Linden created Premium communities.  Limitless user-created possibility is everywhere in the rest of SL.  When we personally searched for the land we wanted to own, we spent months looking at those endless choices before finding what we wanted in a fairly nice quiet stable area.  Then months of trial and error decorating land with a challenging slope.  Within a couple of months of creating our personal Paradise the property next door was rented to RP arms dealers replete with a private airport and all the chaos which accompanied their enjoyment and we realized that we would enjoy a 'vacation' from that chaos from time to time and found exactly that in Bellisseria ♥ 

Anyone can decide in advance that they will not like what they are given and they will receive exactly what they expect.  Inherently, anyone can also realize that none of the new places are 'bottom of the barrel' and may have become available completely by random chance and the previous owners unforeseen adversity or the creation of more Homes.  Don't allow preconceived expectations to cloud your ability to enjoy being part of the creation of this new continent.  It's truly a RARE pleasure to be part of this process as a visitor or a resident 🙂

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Damian Mills said:

This would hold water in my mind if it were just a rollout issue but it's not.  I went premier about a year ago.  When I did so, supply of the OLD Linden  Homes was terribly limited. They are STILL terribly limited.  I did not end up with the home I wanted despite these homes being copy & paste and them having more than a decade to bring supply up to demand.

I'm puzzled why you can't just abandon and retry until you get a location you like, like everyone else does. I've had Linden homes off and on for the past 9 years, and never found this to be an issue.

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1766 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.