New homes, new price

Sylvia Tamalyn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1757 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Leninah said:

LOL Love it !!! :) 

Caption "oooooh someone told me there were new Linden homes around this coke bottle are they there? ……. OMG what are all those cats looking at me like that for !"

Caption "oooooh someone told me there were new Linden homes around this coke bottle are they there? ……. OMG what are all those cats looking at me like that for !"

It's probably the same look the Moles are getting from all the Progress Reporter's while they work hard to set up for the next release of homes lol 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Leninah said:

@Sylvia Just another observation about the eagerness to equate the value of the tier allowance equally between using it on a Linden home and to buy land. If I go to buy land using that 1,024 sqm tier it’s going to be mainland. To be blunt, current available mainland sucks big time. It’s usually crowded, lags, is expensive to purchase (prices for smaller parcels rocketed when the allowance was increased) and the surroundings usually are pretty dire. Nothing at all like the current Linden homes, either old or new, or even in development new themed ones I’m sure. They are free to purchase, usually uncrowded, low lag, and in very pleasant surroundings. So that just isn’t a fair comparison to make. If you have a premium account taking the Linden home to use the free tier is a way better option … if you can that is.

I have owned (and still own) some lovely Mainland parcels since 2011, and have never had trouble finding good parcels and good deals there. I don't find your generalization about the entirety of Mainland to be at all accurate.

However, it seems you are determined to feel aggrieved, so carry on. ;) 

• Like 3

Hi Sylvia, I do feel ‘aggrieved’ because I am feeling this is unfair. However if you have no trouble finding parcels in any way equivalent to a Linden home in terms of environment, performance, population for a reasonable, let’s say under L$5k purchase price (Linden homes being free remember) with no rental charges, please share the location and I will concede your point that it is possible to find equivalent use for the 1,024 sqm tier and I’ll do exactly that and buy it? I don’t want some fanciful notion of perfection I just want a more practical prim allowance on my Linden home, as offered by the new homes so that would do for me.

18 minutes ago, Leninah said:

Hi Sylvia, I do feel ‘aggrieved’ because I am feeling this is unfair. However if you have no trouble finding parcels in any way equivalent to a Linden home in terms of environment, performance, population for a reasonable, let’s say under L$5k purchase price (Linden homes being free remember) with no rental charges, please share the location and I will concede your point that it is possible to find equivalent use for the 1,024 sqm tier and I’ll do exactly that and buy it? I don’t want some fanciful notion of perfection I just want a more practical prim allowance on my Linden home, as offered by the new homes so that would do for me.

LOL no I am not giving you the SLURL of my parcels. Like I said, you want to feel you are being mistreated, so there's nothing any of us can say to persuade you otherwise. Just like the other people who have posted complaints over and over and over and....  

Bottom line is pay the subscription fee or cancel. Those are the choices. Endless complaining accomplishes nothing.

ETA: A better use of one's time might be to use the refresh key on the new homes page, since every day people are posting in here that they were able to get a new home.

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

I'm a much less sophisticated land owner than most of you.  I am a premium member mostly because it amounts to a [nearly] free house.  You pay the annual and collect the stipend which mostly pays for the annual.  I have a basic linden home in some generic subdivision somewhere.  It wasn't the home I wanted but it was good enough.  I would love a nicer house (better laid out) on 1024m with the extra prims to decorate with.  I would also love something that vaguely resembled "community".  I doubt I'm going to get that... ever.  So to me, this is just a price increase with no benefit attached.  What will happen is that my premium account (ie, my linden home) now costs me more per year.

Overall I wish that weren't true but I certainly re-upped my account during the grace period (which I was lucky enough to find out about and take advantage of).  Whether I do so again for another year remains to be seen.

What I wish is that the process for getting a new home wasn't so incredibly disruptive.  You actually have to become homeless first and then you can spend all day every day clicking refresh on the web page hoping to see whatever it is that you wanted.  As processes go, that's pretty much ridiculous.  Overall, I find most of the processes around premium accounts and land ownership in general to be more than a bit opaque which probably leads me to not utilizing the benefits I have very well.  I've been in SL for 12 years now (on and off -- mostly off) and I still have no idea how to buy a mainland parcel and a ton of other things that ought to be pretty basic but instead, are wrapped in layers and layers of crap.

So I'll probably end up staying in my current home and I doubt I'll ever know if or when it might really be possible to upgrade it.  To me, this cost increase will remain a pure cost increase with no additional benefit attached.  Whether that drives me to downgrade my account or not we'll have to see in a year and change when I have to pay up again.

2 minutes ago, Damian Mills said:

So I'll probably end up staying in my current home and I doubt I'll ever know if or when it might really be possible to upgrade it.  

Patch has stated a time or two that the old Linden Homes will eventually be going away (sometime between six months [doubtful] and a year and a half depending on the quote and the time it was made).  They will not go away I am sure when that would put a large group of old Linden Home users out on the street. So EVENTUALLY the supply will catch up with the demand and everyone that wants a LH will have one.   Maybe not always the STYLE they want, but something.   

Agree it is a problematic time at the moment, but hopefully it will continue to get better.  You can always pick up the items in your old Linden Home after the "24 hours" call is made (hopefully that will happen again) --- try for a new home and if you don't get it go back to an old Linden Home.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Leninah said:

46 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Like I said, you want to feel you are being mistreated, so there's nothing any of us can say to persuade you otherwise. Just like the other people who have posted complaints over and over and over and....  

Bottom line is pay the subscription fee or cancel. Those are the choices. Endless complaining accomplishes nothing.

ETA: A better use of one's time might be to use the refresh key on the new homes page, since every day people are posting in here that they were able to get a new home.

Well Leninah, there comes a time (though we all differ in the time it takes to get to that place) when Dame Maggie Smith says it best:

downton-abbey-lady-violet-gif-season-3-episode-4.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

In my opinion, the biggest increase of value in being premium wasn't the recent introduction of the new 1024 sqm Linden Homes - it was the doubling of free tier allowance from 512 sqm to 1024 sqm together with a reduction in mainland tier costs which happened in March of 2018.   Perhaps that would have been a better time to increase the premium cost, if they wanted to associate the cost increase to a benefit increase.  I think that the increase was not tied to any particular benefit increase, but was part of other things that LL has talked about for the past several years of lowering land costs and increasing revenue from other SL revenue streams (and perhaps due in part as well, to increased costs of business). 

The new homes were in fact, in progress long before the new premium increase - the first posts from residents in the forum talking about the new "SSP" regions spotted on the grid, and the speculation that they might be for new LH's, began showing up last August.  I think the first pictures that Patch posted which showed him standing in a neighborhood of new homes was before last Halloween. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I have owned (and still own) some lovely Mainland parcels since 2011, and have never had trouble finding good parcels and good deals there. I don't find your generalization about the entirety of Mainland to be at all accurate. 

However, it seems you are determined to feel aggrieved, so carry on. ;) 

1 hour ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

LOL no I am not giving you the SLURL of my parcels. Like I said, you want to feel you are being mistreated, so there's nothing any of us can say to persuade you otherwise. Just like the other people who have posted complaints over and over and over and....   

Well I wasn’t asking for one of ‘your’ parcels, just for you to prove your claim that it was no trouble to find equivalent use in mainland for the 1,024 sqm tier. I’m not at all surprised you decline 😊

I’m not ‘complaining’ either I’m asking for a date when these will be available. Perfectly reasonable thing to do. I am paying the subscription fee too, but I don’t see why asking for an idea when the new homes will be available for all that want them will be is such sacrilege to so many!

I hear Maggie and realize the reality of this situation is its not going to change, the new homes will arrive if and when LL get around to it, and nothing is really going to expedite that. That's not good, its pretty poor to be honest, but that doesn't mean we aren't entitled to point that out.

I’m not ‘complaining’ either I’m asking for a date when these will be available. Perfectly reasonable thing to do. I am paying the subscription fee too, but I don’t see why asking for an idea when the new homes will be available for all that want them will be is such sacrilege to so many!

Sacrilege?! No. But also not entirely 'reasonable', either. Thing is, if they're totally playing it safe, saying "They'll be ready in a year from now," people would likely not accept that; and if they said "Next month," then they're creating expectations ppl will (angrily) hold them to, whatever the circumstance -- running the risk of having to do a rush job, towards the deadline.

The larger issue, of course, is that they probably truly don't know themselves. When will the hype die down? Will ppl start to abandon their homes when the upcoming anniversay of SL arrives (with a new type of home)? So, 6 months down the road, we might be looking at an entirely different situation. You can just keep saying "But I want to know NOW!" But that's, at the very least, not very realistic. They're working as fast as they can. And I doubt you'll ever get a better answer (except for like an 48 hours notice before a new batch release).

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Leninah said:

Well I wasn’t asking for one of ‘your’ parcels, just for you to prove your claim that it was no trouble to find equivalent use in mainland for the 1,024 sqm tier. I’m not at all surprised you decline 😊

Sorry, I'm at a RL job doing RL work and simply do not have time (or the inclination) to read a map for you.

More to the point, if you would spend your time in a positive manner, looking for nice parcels and/or trying to catch a new Linden home of your own, and less time complaining here when NONE of us can do anything about your issues, you might actually get what you want. Case in point, the post just a few above this one, where a person who actually TRIED to get a home, got one! Funny how that works. ;) 

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1757 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.