Smileys/Emojis in Second Life (please join the feature request)

Wili Clip

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1805 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone!

I run a big gaming community where players earn linden dollars by playing in Second Life. What I believe is missing in Second Life the most and it would not be very technically demanding to implement by Linden Lab are the emojis in SL chat.

😎😌👍

Emojis are part of internet culture. Communication in Second Life would be greatly enhanced. 🤩

What do you think? Give your vote for emojis in Second Life. 😥

Edited by Wili Clip

No, it would make one of the most used means of communication on SL seem way more trivial and undermine SL's dedication of being a virtual world platform. There are ASCII arts and symbols already, not to mention gestures, those works just fine and are fine but straight up emojis is just no lol.

• Like 1

Honestly, I think you all expect this to be much bigger than it would be. All this person is saying is would SL's chat support the more recent versions of unicode which support emoji. It's unlikely more people would use emojis, since the only emoji support would either be: a. someone uses SL from their phone, or b. someone uses sl from their computer but copy and pastes emojis. No one is asking for a LL emoji hud or anything. I would much rather have silent emojis over some of the more obnoxious and repetitive gestures I have to hear.

Edited by stlshayne
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, stlshayne said:

Honestly, I think you all expect this to be much bigger than it would be. All this person is saying is would SL's chat support the more recent versions of unicode which support emoji. It's unlikely more people would use emojis, since the only emoji support would either be: a. someone uses SL from their phone, or b. someone uses sl from their computer but copy and pastes emojis. No one is asking for a LL emoji hud or anything. I would much rather have silent emojis over some of the more obnoxious and repetitive gestures I have to hear.

And again - why? 

There is pretty much no point, at all. Expression is currently handled by gestures, ASCII art and expression systems in mesh heads. 

The first two function in text only mobile clients. 

Honestly there are far more important things Linden Lab could do than to implement an Emoji system, just to please the mobile/txt speek crowd. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

just to please the mobile/txt speek crowd. 

now I am having nightmares about "Hi sxy hru"  followed by that aubergine (eggplant) emoji that means things innocent girls like myself don't know about

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

now I am having nightmares about "Hi sxy hru"  followed by that aubergine (eggplant) emoji that means things innocent girls like myself don't know about

Wait, what DOES that eggplant emoji mean? Seriously? 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Wait, what DOES that eggplant emoji mean? Seriously? 

The eggplant emoji is frequently combined with other emoji. When paired with the mouth emoji, it can suggest oral sex. ... Coupled with the sweat droplets emoji, it can represent ejaculation. Because of its suggestiveness, the eggplant emoji is often used in sexting.

Edited by Cindy Evanier
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Wili Clip said:

Emojis are part of internet culture. Communication in Second Life would be greatly enhanced. 🤩

Sure thing. As "enhanced" as all that fancy display names you have to decipher first, before talking to someone: ᵛⁱᵖ٠..::亗®€$¡ þf€ff€®亗::..٠ᵛⁱᵖ

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I guess if your name is “Richard” or “Dick”, the eggplant emoji is for you!

1 hour ago, Cindy Evanier said:

The eggplant emoji is frequently combined with other emoji. When paired with the mouth emoji, it can suggest oral sex. ... Coupled with the sweat droplets emoji, it can represent ejaculation. Because of its suggestiveness, the eggplant emoji is often used in sexting.

Thank you both. I am so socially naïve LOL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1805 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.