Smileys/Emojis in Second Life (please join the feature request)

Wili Clip

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1804 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, BethTech said:

Win key + ; will pull up an emoji window in Win10! 👍😃

That's how I keep accidentally getting that darn screen on my monitor.  Sometimes I fat-finger things and then can't figure out how the heck whatever just happened.

15 hours ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

Sure thing. As "enhanced" as all that fancy display names you have to decipher first, before talking to someone: ᵛⁱᵖ٠..::亗®€$¡ þf€ff€®亗::..٠ᵛⁱᵖ

Emojis for avatar names and display names would ofcourse be disabled. They would only be for inside group chat.

If someone wants to spam in SL they already can do that without emojis.....  I don't see how emojis would add on spam.

Edited by Wili Clip

I've always seen emojis as a kind of emotional shorthand that satisfies the innate human need to look at people's faces. I think SL's gestures are the emoji of Second Life but aren't that effective because no one can see people's faces when they make gestures. Most everyone walks around in third-person view and aren't focusing their cameras on people's faces. It'd be better if someone could make a gesture (to a targeted person or to a group) and cause those target's cameras to zoom into their face. The avatar's face would have the EMOTE that everyone could actually see. For example, if some guy saw a beautiful girl then he'd type out '/nosebleed at girl' which would cause that girl's camera to zoom into his face which would show a funny nosebleed animation. I guess it could get pretty annoying to have your camera taken over but it's just an an idea that could be refined. 

Thing is that in our community and in our group chat we are thousands of people and we are not all in the same sim. so gestures don't cut it. Most people use Second Life as a communication tool and anything that can improve human communication and make it more fluent, enjoyable to use (more emotions) with more fun will help Second Life to retain more users in Second Life. And more users means longer life for SL more money and investments into SL and on overall better SL for everyone.

If anyone tried discord these days.... It just works. It provides a better way to communicate more fun.

Hey Wili, did you file a Jira on that? I know Lumiya supports them really well, and FS can kinda.  They look kind of flat on FS though, maybe I'll file a Jira with them regarding better emoji support.

Edit: I filed it here: https://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-23880

Edited by BethTech

2 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

I've always seen emojis as a kind of emotional shorthand that satisfies the innate human need to look at people's faces. I think SL's gestures are the emoji of Second Life but aren't that effective because no one can see people's faces when they make gestures. Most everyone walks around in third-person view and aren't focusing their cameras on people's faces. It'd be better if someone could make a gesture (to a targeted person or to a group) and cause those target's cameras to zoom into their face. The avatar's face would have the EMOTE that everyone could actually see. For example, if some guy saw a beautiful girl then he'd type out '/nosebleed at girl' which would cause that girl's camera to zoom into his face which would show a funny nosebleed animation. I guess it could get pretty annoying to have your camera taken over but it's just an an idea that could be refined. 

I will retain control of my camera and everything else I already have control of in SL, thank you. :P

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Oz Linden is calling on people to make the code to add better emoji support as that's really not as big a thing as the more pressing issues like BoM etc, but openly welcomes the code.

Also, they will NOT be able to be used in Display names ever. Yay!

Jira: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-226971

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BethTech said:

Oz Linden is calling on people to make the code to add better emoji support as that's really not as big a thing as the more pressing issues like BoM etc, but openly welcomes the code.

Also, they will NOT be able to be used in Display names ever. Yay!

Jira: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-226971

The core details have already been done by kitty, we're finishing up some UI and hope to have something people can poke in the not too distant future. Ideally we would like to get this into the Linden viewer then everyone has it.

But ....

Emoji are essentially just unicode .. and if you can put unicode somewhere then .. that's going to be that.

If a friend decides to change their displayname to ❤️🍆 well .. as much as that's not my bag, good for them I guess. Even if they can't have colour emoji, there will be a mono fall back.

People are going to use them everywhere, in terrible ways, on purpose and despite what Oz says, this is a HUGE thing to everyone under 35

Everyone over 35 will just have to stare on in stunned disbelief as they realize half the people they know are 😜🦊🍰

It's going to be glorious.

Just now, Selene Gregoire said:

Oi. I'd forgotten all about the TPV meetings. When's the next one?

2 weeks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1804 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.