Smileys/Emojis in Second Life (please join the feature request)

Wili Clip

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1804 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, stlshayne said:

Honestly, I think you all expect this to be much bigger than it would be. All this person is saying is would SL's chat support the more recent versions of unicode which support emoji. It's unlikely more people would use emojis, since the only emoji support would either be: a. someone uses SL from their phone, or b. someone uses sl from their computer but copy and pastes emojis. No one is asking for a LL emoji hud or anything. I would much rather have silent emojis over some of the more obnoxious and repetitive gestures I have to hear.

If someone can do it in SL they will.  If emojis are supported, someone will figure out a way to create items that will let others spam chat with them, just like all the other methods of chat spam that are already out there.

LL definitely has far better things to spend their development time on.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

you can use Windows Key and full stop at the same time and get emoji's when chatting in IM's

This is what the eggplant looks like  [08:44] Cindy Evanier-Xaris (Cindy Evanier): 🍆🍆🍆🍆🍆

26e7358f693ee174049c5c90f4315391.png

Oh wow. So, does this 🥦 look anything like a fist to the face (or elsewhere more sensitive)?

23 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

Here’s an emoji guide for you boomers (remember when some people used to talk only in gestures? We’d be going back to that)

6CB2CE45-8356-41DD-9C35-A046AA712F52.png

Oh my, I'd better stop using :o to indicate OMG or Wow or ........... well, anything actually.

/me saves the above image for future reference 

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Oh my, I'd better stop using :o to indicate OMG or Wow or ........... well, anything actually.

/me saves the above image for future reference 

I always thought grapes were something else 

31 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

Here’s an emoji guide for you boomers (remember when some people used to talk only in gestures? We’d be going back to that)

6CB2CE45-8356-41DD-9C35-A046AA712F52.png

Yoiks! I'm not a Boomer (a couple behind, actually) - I knew a couple of those, but some I didn't. Reminds me how socially-awkward I am LOL

You mean bringing SL communication up to semi-modern standards? It's already been done (or will be once the new Catznip releases) :).

First was to just have proper link previews like anything else you use to communicate with (with the proper options to not have it on in groups and all that):

DlEooYSXcAIkNJf.jpg:large

And obviously, emoji's are a big thing (the current implementation looks a lot better than this - it was the original proof of concept from last year):

DlKrGYJWwAAPco0.jpg:large

And the only part that requires (new) viewer code is actually the colour emoji's (and having a way to look them up), you can do black and white emoji fonts right now just by dropping the font in the viewer's folder.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

@Kitty Barnett

Will this be only in Catznip or will all TPVs have it at some point? Please note that I am not mentioning the clunker LL viewer.

It's the proper emoji Unicode characters so really all any viewer (including LL's) needs to do is put the proper emoji font in its font folder. They will show as black/white emoji's but everyone will see them fine. Even without doing anything some of them will show up on all existing viewers (smiley face, sad face, etc) just because they're already in the current fallback fonts.

My guess would be that if we release with it and it's actually popular then I'll probably just get poked to put it into Firestorm and then LL might poke to get it into the official viewer.

Or it might fail and that's fine too 😃. Just using other chat proggies makes SL feel very old-fashioned with having to click imgur and gyazo links to see what they are in a program that isn't SL which is always disconcerting rather than just hovering over it and seeing it right there in the chat window.

Edited by Kitty Barnett
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kitty Barnett said:

My guess would be that if we release with it and it's actually popular then I'll probably just get poked to put it into Firestorm and then LL might poke to get it into the official viewer.

That's how it usually goes. lol

You can start poking Jessi any time as far as I'm concerned. ;)

50 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Thanks Maddy. I think I get it, but its a bit confusing. I'll dye my hair brunette and look again.....  ;)

You're welcome!

The gist of Rule 34 is that the Internet is happy to rise to any challenge, no matter how absurd.

I submit myself as evidence.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1804 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.