Security/Privacy and New Linden Homes

Constantine Linden
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1562 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

28 minutes ago, PrudenceAnton said:

If your mailbox rezzer stops working and won't rez a home, do you put in a ticket to have a Linden or Mole reset it?

Try the reset option -- click and hold the mailbox for 3 seconds. Chat shows some message about it resetting.  Then try to rez a house again.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Try the reset option -- click and hold the mailbox for 3 seconds. Chat shows some message about it resetting.  Then try to rez a house again.

We tried that, like half a dozen times. Still not working. :(  Got a ticket submitted though. ;) 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

i think this doesn't work with the settings of the scripts in it, you ( the "user" ) isn't the owner of the boat/rezzer

5 hours ago, PrudenceAnton said:

If your mailbox rezzer stops working and won't rez a home, do you put in a ticket to have a Linden or Mole reset it?

I experienced that once - I tried to change styles but the house just vanished and no other appeared.

I tried resetting the postbox several times but that wasn't any good.

As the region had just been given out I did not want to mollest the moles and just logged out. When I relogged about three hours later everything was fine.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PrudenceAnton said:

I'd try live chat first. If a ticket needs to be filed, they will tell you, but sometimes they can come over and handle the issue right away. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

i think this doesn't work with the settings of the scripts in it, you ( the "user" ) isn't the owner of the boat/rezzer

It does fix some things, which is why they created that reset option -- click and hold for 3 seconds.  That is not the same as clicking 'reset scripts' in the edit window of an item.  It is something that they built into the mailbox and Patch told us to try anytime the mailbox seemed to be messed up.

• Like 3

How does the Linden Home door access list work? I added someone, just using their name (that is, "username", not "username Resident"). The box accepted the name, it shows on the list of allowed users, but they still could not open doors. They don't have a separate display name; new user.

Edited by animats

3 hours ago, animats said:

How does the Linden Home door access list work? I added someone, just using their name (that is, "username", not "username Resident"). The box accepted the name, it shows on the list of allowed users, but they still could not open doors. They don't have a separate display name; new user.

After adding them, did you hit the List button on the panel? (Not View List, the one that says List. )

• Like 2

10 hours ago, animats said:

I had a bit of trouble with that.  A Mole (totally forgetting who) told me to be sure and click Done on one of those menu windows and that forces it to save the changes.  Then hit the List button and see what it shows in Chat.  And maybe have all parties involved relog. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zoya McDonnagh said:

After adding them, did you hit the List button on the panel? (Not View List, the one that says List. )

Tried both buttons. (Why is there both a List and a View List button, anyway?) Same list.

I tried adding a bogus name, and it won't let you do that - it checks that the name is a valid user name. So it's not a typo.

I'll have to try again, now that we've both been offline.

2 minutes ago, animats said:

Tried both buttons. (Why is there both a List and a View List button, anyway?) Same list.

I tried adding a bogus name, and it won't let you do that - it checks that the name is a valid user name. So it's not a typo.

I'll have to try again, now that we've both been offline.

The 'View List' shows you the list but doesn't change any settings.  The "List" is telling the controller to use the List for access.  They both spit out the same thing in chat, I think, so it seems terribly confusing.

For my houseboat, I think I went through the steps 3 or 4 times before it finally took.  Then at some point, either a region restart or a script update (cannot remember), it all reset and I had to do it again.  That time only took me twice to get it to take.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moles
2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The 'View List' shows you the list but doesn't change any settings.  The "List" is telling the controller to use the List for access. 

That is correct.  You create a list by using the Add Name function.  You remove a name by using the Remove Name function.  You see what names are currently on the list with the View List  function, which is only available if there are actually names on the list.  All of those functions simply manage the list. 

Once you have created a list, your Access menu gives you the option of using it or ignoring it. (After all, there are times when you might want to allow Anyone to enter your home but not allow people on the whitelist to mess with your control panel, so you would want to be able to turn list access off.)  If you click List from the Access menu, it allows anyone on the list to enter and be able to use the Redecorate/Window/Door functions  It also sends you a chat message to remind you of who is on the list, just in case you forgot.

Edited by Dyna Mole
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 7

9 hours ago, Dyna Mole said:

That is correct.  You create a list by using the Add Name function.  You remove a name by using the Remove Name function.  You see what names are currently on the list with the View List  function, which is only available if there are actually names on the list.  All of those functions simply manage the list. 

Once you have created a list, your Access menu gives you the option of using it or ignoring it. (After all, there are times when you might want to allow Anyone to enter your home but not allow people on the whitelist to mess with your control panel, so you would want to be able to turn list access off.)  If you click List from the Access menu, it allows anyone on the list to enter and be able to use the Redecorate/Window/Door functions  It also sends you a chat message to remind you of who is on the list, just in case you forgot.

Ah. Now I get it.

(Someone coded a multiple choice  "radio button" in a dialog box, but didn't do it very well. Useful Unicode symbols for dialog buttons:

☐ Ballot box

☑ Ballot box with check

☒ Ballot box with X

• Bullet

⬤ Big bullet

○ Empty bullet

You can use those in dialog button names to indicate the current state before the user clicks the button. If it's an on-off toggle, after the button name, use the empty ballot box for "off" and one of the other two options for "on". For a multiple choice, use "Big bullet" for the currently active option, and nothing or "empty bullet" for inactive. Since this is how dialog buttons work in just about everything else except Second Life, users will get this without explanation.)

escalatorcontrol.png.883ea49a9277ef3c03fda9babb447869.png

Like this. Any questions about how that works?

Edited by animats
Picture

The other popular way to indicate which options are current is to display only the active ones, toggling them when they become inactive.  So 

llList2String(["Deactivate","Activate"], (iButtonState = !iButtonState) )  toggles both iButtonState and the displayed option at the same time.  Then you use the new binary state of iButtonState to go ahead and make the actual changes.  Users are never confused about whether the feature is activated or not because they only see what's possible at the moment.

33 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

The other popular way to indicate which options are current is to display only the active ones, toggling them when they become inactive.  So 

llList2String(["Deactivate","Activate"], (iButtonState = !iButtonState) )  toggles both iButtonState and the displayed option at the same time.  Then you use the new binary state of iButtonState to go ahead and make the actual changes.  Users are never confused about whether the feature is activated or not because they only see what's possible at the moment.

I tend to think that's more confusing, as in "Where did the button go?" If it's already on, a marker is more appropriate. If you can't do it, say because you don't have permission, greyed out would be ideal, but we don't have that option. There, removal is a legit option.

paintcolors.png.394c5472ebeb70437d70e505639b69b6.png

Pick a color. Any color. Deleting the current color here would be confusing.

There are other Unicode tricks, such as "C̵a̵n̵n̵o̵t̵ ̵b̵e̵ ̵p̵u̵s̵h̵e̵d̵", well known to the people with excessively clever display names. Try not to overdo.

For my money, LL could save itself some support time by simply changing the name of the "List" button to "Save".   True, that's not exactly what it's doing, but it's close enough, and people will always hit it when they're done changing the list.

• Like 1

Not at all confusing.  When you have a binary choice ( ON / OFF, TRUE / FALSE ), what can be simpler than showing either

d71a952da54429b842ac048a6aead456.png

or

586ecedafb298aea67b704450fe15bfd.png

?  Why display both choices when only one is available?  The button IS the option.  ( The extra line of text above the button is unnecessary, but there as a generic tag to show that the script clearly knows the current state of the toggle variable.  That variable can then be used to make the machine do or stop doing whatever it does.)

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

For my money, LL could save itself some support time by simply changing the name of the "List" button to "Save". 

That's not a bad suggestion.  For my money, the goal should be to make controls as as simple and clear as possible.  My binary button and your choice of labels would serve both goals together.  It beats

e9be7cf3586aef873526335f01798754.png

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1562 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.