Security/Privacy and New Linden Homes

Constantine Linden
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1522 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

59 minutes ago, Constantine Linden said:

The first is that at 6am SLT on Wed April 16th, we are going to [...]

[...]

- Ban lines will go away for Linden Homes starting 6am SLT on Wed April 16th

I think you mean April 17th instead, right?

image.png.4b7034f999132614fea4a292645a9a5c.png

Edited by Fritigern Gothly
  • Haha 1

A very sensible and welcome approach to what could have become quite a problem considering how close the houses and houseboats are placed together.

Never been a fan of ban lines - ugly things.  Not keen on over zealous orbs either so this is good news.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Female Winslet said:

Applause to Linden Labs!!!

Here is hoping that this new continent can be where we figure out how to get the balance right and that something similar can role out to the mainland as a whole.

You bring up an interesting topic. I know I've seen some folks upset because they cannot afford premium. However, they will work 3 jobs in Sl to be able to afford the same amount of Linden equivalent to pay rent and buy clothes. Could there be a way for LL to start allowing folks to pay premium with Linden Dollars? I know you can cash out, and keep the USD in your account to be used for tier/premium but could there be a way to just pay straight with Linden dollars and not have to cash out? It might open up more people that otherwise might not be able to afford to live in premium housing. 

• Like 4

Bravo! I don't mind this sort of compromise. It's really the ban lines and 0 second security orbs that ruins mainland travel. This is a good way to keep your land safe and also community friendly. I do hope that eventually, once we've hammered out the details here, this sort of change can be rolled out mainland-wide.

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Gingir Ghoststar said:

You bring up an interesting topic. I know I've seen some folks upset because they cannot afford premium. However, they will work 3 jobs in Sl to be able to afford the same amount of Linden equivalent to pay rent and buy clothes. Could there be a way for LL to start allowing folks to pay premium with Linden Dollars? I know you can cash out, and keep the USD in your account to be used for tier/premium but could there be a way to just pay straight with Linden dollars and not have to cash out? It might open up more people that otherwise might not be able to afford to live in premium housing. 

I agree. That could be efficient for those with full sims and rentals, too. 

• Like 3

I certainly applaud Linden Labs for this landmark decision and hope you implement it across the whole of SL.    This shows you truly do have everyone's enjoyment in mind.  Thank you from every pixel in my being.

• Like 6

So here is an interesting question. If you can't ban people proactively from your parcel, do you have to keep all activities going on in your parcel to the maturity level of the Sim to avoid exposing random wanderers to "shocking" sights or conversation?  Or is the presumption that so long as nothing above the sim maturity level is visible/audible off your plot, you're not violating Community Standards? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CatalinaHunter said:

Great, good move... and whilst you are about it, why not do it too for the rest of SL. Nobody really likes ban-lines except anti-social people who really should not be in this social environment.

I'm super glad they made the rules for the Linden Homes, but I'm not so sure I think that the rules should be changed across all of the mainland.  

• Like 4

I'm very happy to see this happen!  I was walking around the neighborhood I am in and I seen a couple of homes with ban lines already up.  Knowing that those will be down soon and that driving a car or riding in a boat in the amazing canals and rivers that the moles created, without having to worry about ban lines messing with the scripts, is wonderful news.  Hopefully, in the near future, the rest of the mainland may be looked at, to have this very same option done to all of them, thusly making the mainland a much more friendly, navigation-wise, place to go and enjoy.

• Like 5

• Moles
18 minutes ago, TotallyIn Corrigible said:

So here is an interesting question. If you can't ban people proactively from your parcel, do you have to keep all activities going on in your parcel to the maturity level of the Sim to avoid exposing random wanderers to "shocking" sights or conversation?  Or is the presumption that so long as nothing above the sim maturity level is visible/audible off your plot, you're not violating Community Standards? 

I'm guessing you are referring to what happens if you have the parcel set so people can't see you from outside the parcel but also can't block anyone and everyone from entering. If you've made every reasonable effort to abide by the "behind closed doors" rule they can't really complain if they walk into your property and happen to see something "shocking" in the process can they? Well, they *can* complain, but ARs like that would probably end up in the circular file I'd imagine.

• Like 12

38 minutes ago, TotallyIn Corrigible said:

That's what I would assume. You wander into a persons house IRL you might see more than you bargained for. Same goes for camming or wandering into a person's home in SL. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Well, the security orb still won't allow a zero second eject and so someone could still potentially come in and be "shocked".   

:ph34r: :D

personally, been here 13 years .. Without breaking the Tos, I'm not sure there is much that would at this point.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1522 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.