Constantine Linden

Security/Privacy and New Linden Homes

1 minute ago, Mollymews said:

the shield is banlines.  LL decided no banlines on the new Linden Homes continent because helicopters

In the past, someone could hover over your house all day long as long as they stayed more than 75 meters above the ground. Now they get 15 seconds and the ceiling is ~400 meters.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Gryphon Ronas said:

I use one of the (old) Connover orbs and yes I get a popup immediately if someone enters the parcel and I have the option to manually eject, ban, or allow.  It's actually very handy for adding new people to the list. One click and they are added, no messing with notecards or anything.

Yeah, Conover's was actually what I was thinking of when I asked that. My favorite orb, when I do use an orb. :)

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Gryphon Ronas said:

In the past, someone could hover over your house all day long as long as they stayed more than 75 meters above the ground. Now they get 15 seconds and the ceiling is ~400 meters.

in the past a helicopter person could hover over your house for 0 seconds

Just now, Mollymews said:

in the past a helicopter person could hover over your house for 0 seconds

OK good point  lol

I didn't think of that because I've never used 0 seconds. I always used a delay because I get a lot of use out of the ability to add someone to my access list with a click.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mistique Starbrook said:

Maybe make the home invisible? lol

That reminds me of a suggestion someone made in one of the threads about making a big hollow cube to go around your home, then making it invisible. If someone tries to walk into your home, they smack their face against the invisible wall. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

@Gryphon Ronas

😛

i was just messing about really with the helicopter thing

i think that what LL are hoping to achieve re. community, for this project is worthwhile and I think the absence of banlines in this case is probably worth it, as is the 15 second orbs. At least for this Bellissaria community building aspect

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mistique Starbrook said:

Maybe make the home invisible? lol

There is no way to make the home itself invisible.  The parcel invisible setting only applies to folks outside the parcel being able to see the folks inside the parcel.  Once someone comes into the parcel, they can see folks.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Gryphon Ronas said:

I use one of the (old) Connover orbs and yes I get a popup immediately if someone enters the parcel and I have the option to manually eject, ban, or allow.  It's actually very handy for adding new people to the list. One click and they are added, no messing with notecards or anything.

Even then, per the LL rules, you have to give them 15 seconds before you eject/ban them.  Unless of course, they are a repeat offender, within the home/yard (houseboat/water) itself (rather than flying through) - then the 15 second rule might not apply.

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Even then, per the LL rules, you have to give them 15 seconds before you eject/ban them.  Unless of course, they are a repeat offender, within the home/yard (houseboat/water) itself (rather than flying through) - then the 15 second rule might not apply.

I dunno, it's not like you would have the orb set to auto-eject everyone. The orb tells you someone is there, then you eject them by clicking a button. Is that different really from right clicking on the avatar and ejecting them immediately? I don't know of any rule saying we can't do the latter. Hmm.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I dunno, it's not like you would have the orb set to auto-eject everyone. The orb tells you someone is there, then you eject them by clicking a button. Is that different really from right clicking on the avatar and ejecting them immediately? I don't know of any rule saying we can't do the latter. Hmm.

that's true. Some of the more advanced orbs have the option to immediately eject an avatar. The advantage of these orbs is that they also have an admin list. When we add our friends (and/or alts) to the admin list then they also have the capability to immediately eject and/or ban avatars from our parcel

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mistique Starbrook said:

My concern now, after having five individuals walk into my home, at different times, and get right into my face is, how in the world is a person supposed to feel safe and comfortable if they want to spend an evening at home with their significant other?  Anybody can just come in.  Sure, if I notice them, I can eject or eject/ban, but always having to be on the lookout for these kinds of people just isn't cool.

In rl people can't just walk into your home uninvited.  I think banlines are horrible, but some way of keeping people out when you're home would be great.

Once the hype about the new homes and everyone's excitement about wanting to see how everyone else has decorated has worn off,  the number of people walking into your home may drop off (though I haven't had anyone walk into my home when I've been there).     

I usually set a TP landing point for the parcel along one of the edges, and also lock the house door (I know this doesn't keep people from sitting on something inside, but it does indicate one don't want people walking in, and it also makes it a few more seconds time consuming, to help use up those 15 seconds before the orb boots them - if an orb is also being used).

Skyboxes are allowed over 2000 m, so that's another option for when you're involved with activities where you really don't want to be interrupted.  

There is definitely a trade-off between traditional security (ban lines and 0-second orbs) and the community environment of the new continent.  It's up to you to decide whether it's worth it to you.  When the new security rules were announced, there were many who abandoned their homes at that time, deciding it was not worth it to them.  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

What I was really meaning was that you couldn't just automatically always click the eject button on the pop up, regardless of where they are.  If someone goes flying through, and just happens to be a tad below that 400-500 meter spot so that your orb picks them up and you get a pop-up and immediately hit 'eject', I'm thinking that might be violating the LL rules.  You'd have to use some discretion in clicking that eject button.

9 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

What I was really meaning was that you couldn't just automatically always click the eject button on the pop up, regardless of where they are.  If someone goes flying through, and just happens to be a tad below that 400-500 meter spot so that your orb picks them up and you get a pop-up and immediately hit 'eject', I'm thinking that might be violating the LL rules.  You'd have to use some discretion in clicking that eject button.

I have seen nothing that addresses an ejection that is triggered manually. Clicking the popup is no different than using Nearby or right-clicking the person and booting them.

The rules only refer to automatic ejection. Manual ejection time limits would be impossible to enforce.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gryphon Ronas said:

I have seen nothing that addresses an ejection that is triggered manually. Clicking the popup is no different than using Nearby or right-clicking the person and booting them.

The rules only refer to automatic ejection. Manual ejection time limits would be impossible to enforce.

True.  There wouldn't be any easy way of policing that and it is not directly addressed.  However, if someone goes flying through at 499 meters and your personal orb tells you someone has entered your parcel and you simply immediately click 'eject', I'd say you are outside what LL was trying to accomplish with the security rules.  There may not be anything anyone can do about it, but it still isn't playing nice, so to speak.

42 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

The way it works at my house is:

If you want to see the inside or walk through my garden, and I am there, IM me. If I am not AFK or *ahem* busy, it's no problem.

If you are one of those who does not know how to cam and you are standing with your nose pressed to the window to see inside, I will let the orb deal with it (usually)

If you cam in and sit unannounced and uninvited, you will be ejected immediately. If that doesn't get the message across, you will be parcel banned.

The orb has a 15 second delay. I do not.

• Like 8

If anyone comes directly into your yard and just stands there or comes right into your house/houseboat uninvited, then I'd totally do the immediate eject and possibly ban. 

I was just commenting on the possible over-zealous clicking of an eject button from a pop up window in regards to avatars that are not actually within a close vicinity.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

If anyone comes directly into your yard and just stands there or comes right into your house/houseboat uninvited, then I'd totally do the immediate eject and possibly ban. 

I was just commenting on the possible over-zealous clicking of an eject button from a pop up window in regards to avatars that are not actually within a close vicinity.

Somewhere in the in-between of posts and replies I outlined my personal policy. But yes, this all the way.

In fact my orb's message actually addresses that, it says 

If you were invited, Welcome!  If you are flying over, Have a nice flight, Otherwise, Sayonara

I have better things to do than camp on the Eject button - But you're absolutely right, some people might do that. Frankly I have never been bored enough to do that.

Edit to add:  I don't set mine to scan 400m anyway, I really do't care about anything that far away.

Edited by Gryphon Ronas
More Info
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Gryphon Ronas said:

The way it works at my house is:

If you want to see the inside or walk through my garden, and I am there, IM me. If I am not AFK or *ahem* busy, it's no problem.

If you are one of those who does not know how to cam and you are standing with your nose pressed to the window to see inside, I will let the orb deal with it (usually)

If you cam in and sit unannounced and uninvited, you will be ejected immediately. If that doesn't get the message across, you will be parcel banned.

The orb has a 15 second delay. I do not.

Same for me. I get the alert and if I am on the premises, I look to see what the intruder is doing. If they are just passing through, I don't care. If I'm not on the parcel, I don't care. If I'm sitting in an adult chair and some knobhead jumps on and clicks the naughty menu, then BYEEEE (yeah, that happened lol). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gryphon Ronas said:

If you were invited, Welcome!  If you are flying over, Have a nice flight, Otherwise, Sayonara

Love this  

• Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 12:56 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Even then, per the LL rules, you have to give them 15 seconds before you eject/ban them.

That is not true. There is no rule prohibiting you from right click and ejecting or banning them immediately. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/26/2019 at 6:53 PM, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

That reminds me of a suggestion someone made in one of the threads about making a big hollow cube to go around your home, then making it invisible. If someone tries to walk into your home, they smack their face against the invisible wall. lol

Why even hollow it? I have not tested it, (maybe I will) but if someone is using the old "cam in and sit on furniture" trick, and then stand up, what happen to him in a prim? A hollow prim, it's okay, he is walking around. In a solid prim?

Edit: And can he even select the furniture to sit on? With a lot of camera movement, but are someone that patient?

Edited by Marianne Little

8 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Why even hollow it? I have not tested it, (maybe I will) but if someone is using the old "cam in and sit on furniture" trick, and then stand up, what happen to him in a prim? A hollow prim, it's okay, he is walking around. In a solid prim?

Edit: And can he even select the furniture to sit on? With a lot of camera movement, but are someone that patient?

Well, I was thinking in terms of the homeowner being there and wanting to move around, and I have no idea what happens if you try that inside of a solid prim!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1