If there was an "offline" version of Second Life....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1471 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Since I mostly work on my sim alone and don’t see any neighbors, it’s basically the same as what you describe for me.

But interaction with other residents is always just a click away. Kinda hard to describe but you're never really lonely in Second Life....

• Like 1

There are times when I'm focused on the sliders, when it would be nice to have solitary confinement for a while.

Actually a button to turn off my "being in world" would do the same thing. In fact that and my avi being invisible to everybody but me would work.

The truth is that being on UK time means when I'm in world in my mornings, there's nobody much about so that's when I do the slider stuff.

I'd love to see full USA mode but there's no way I'm staying up late!!

• Like 1

I'm painfully anxious and find maintaining chat to be difficult, so I usually avoid long conversations, but SL without other people would not interest me.  I do enjoy the little chit chat that I get, even though I feel awkward the whole time.

Plus I like seeing other people's creations.  I think I would get bored without others being around.  I enjoy building things, but that is just one part of SL that I like.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

...would you use it? (By offline I mean you still have stuff like the open world, avatar customization, and building...but no other residents to interact with.)

Do you mean something like a standalone OpenSim region on your own computer? I occasionally use that, to do some prim-building, to practice landscaping, and stuff. :D

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ThorinII said:

Do you mean something like a standalone OpenSim region on your own computer? I occasionally use that, to do some prim-building, to practice landscaping, and stuff. :D

Yeah, I would hate to be without our standalone opensim region  (hosted, not on a pc though)  We escape there most days so Ki can build and I can browse the forums  do busy things in peace

• Like 2

An OpenSim standalone region is indeed very much what the original poster is imagining. 

It's an open source spin-off from Second Life so it works exactly the same way and you can even create your avatar to look exactly as in SL as long as it's all full perms. It's completely free and I believe OpenSim is not 'frowned upon' by Linden Lab.

It's useful in many ways - for building and testing textures, for learning about managing a region and not least for having a large area of land of your very own to play with.  You download it from OpenSim and then set it up and create your 'account'.  Then you download a viewer - I use Singularity but others are available.  You will need to read the instructions carefully to set it up.  You can add regions - my own standalone is an island comprising 4 regions.  When you start all you get is a small round hump of grass in the middle of the sea but you can terraform the land into a full region.

It's not a replacement for Second Life, particularly because it's not online and nobody else can visit it without a great deal of technical know-how (beyond my capability), nonetheless it's a good extension of your virtual existence. 

Here are recent pictures of me in OpenSim and Second Life . . .

OS - SL.jpg

Edited by Conifer Dada
  • Like 3

Regardless of what abilities it gave me, I wouldn't be able to use it from work - and when I'm at home, I'd just log in normally (other people don't bother me inworld too much).  An OpenSim version would do me no good because I wouldn't have me SL inventory - and I'm not a creator, so I don't care about that part.  

The only time I could see using it might be when I'm traveling with the laptop that isn't really capable of decent SL performance.  Then I could possibly use it for inventory sorting, as long as I could rez things and try things on.

Following from my post above about OpenSim standalones, I recall that Linden Lab did introduce their own version of standalones some years ago.  I think it involved renting a server of the type they used at the time, which would be located in your home or business.  I also recall that it was far from cheap and the idea was dropped after not very long.

One problem with OpenSim standalones is that it's difficult to find decent walk animations.  I've found animation overrides but I haven't been able to find any decent walks or runs to go in them that are better than the basic 'duck walk'. Animations work fine in OpenSim, it's just the problem of finding files to download.

Edited by Conifer Dada

2 hours ago, Conifer Dada said:

Following from my post above about OpenSim standalones, I recall that Linden Lab did introduce their own version of standalones some years ago.  I think it involved renting a server of the type they used at the time, which would be located in your home or business.  I also recall that it was far from cheap and the idea was dropped after not very long.

One problem with OpenSim standalones is that it's difficult to find decent walk animations.  I've found animation overrides but I haven't been able to find any decent walks or runs to go in them that are better than the basic 'duck walk'. Animations work fine in OpenSim, it's just the problem of finding files to download.

Physics in OS vs. SL though... OS needs a *lot* of work in that respect :)

Edited by HeathcliffMontague

I haven't had much experience of physics on OpenSim but ordinary animations work OK - it's just that it's difficult to find things like a simple walk or run to download.  If you want an animation for eating a pizza while doing Scottish dancing, it would probably be easier to find one than a simple, realistic walk 😁

7 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

...would you use it? (By offline I mean you still have stuff like the open world, avatar customization, and building...but no other residents to interact with.)

I probably would, but it would be more boring without the other people though. So I wouldn't use it as much as the online Second Life.

No.  I guess I may  not quite understand what it would be like, nor do I understand what the benefit would be.  I suppose part of that may be because too much interaction with other residents is not something I have issues with. 

If that also means having access to grid inventory, then yes, I would like the mode. While OpenSim does exist, it doesn't give you the access to the inventory you've already accumulated on the live grid for testing stuff. And the beta grid is really an unnecessary thing when there could be an integrated offline (or hybrid mode) mode of sorts for thoroughly testing things with other items. Like testing a new clothing item you've made with various mesh bodies before going into true online mode. No wasted upload fees through trial and error and testing while in this offline mode. Fees would be placed on the final result once pushed to live grid. Consider it a productivity enhancer. The beta grid should be left for developers/QA'ers in new feature development testing. This kind of mode could also give curious people a chance to learn things without camping someones sandbox.

Edited by Kurshie Muromachi

I wish we had different versions of Second Life.

Others already mention inventory sorting. I would love and adore a version that gave me access to the inventory alone, that I could open and sort through without opening SL itself.

I am terrible with inventory management. I could work on my inventory 8 hours a day in two weeks, to get Marianne's inventory in some order. That would mean doing nothing else inworld. Not going places, not buying, not accepting notecards or what ever. Just boring, grueling work. And then, starting on my other avatars, their inventory being smaller, I could clean up and streamline them in 5 to 7 days maybe.

If I could open a part of SL and do such inventory sorting without having to rez the world, I could do it more frequent.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1471 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.