What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1482 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 12/12/2018 at 9:24 PM, IvyLarae said:

Ugh yeah those make me laugh, anyone who feels they have to put sir, Master, Dom, Queen, Mistress, Madame etc in their names, I wanna IM them like " Alright, calm down there, don't take yourself too seriously"

Only you are.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Jameson2001 said:

We Boomers are annoying that is a given.  But, our generation invented the computer and internet so give us a little slack

image.png.5be089cf9f0e5dcb9217f3d7ae360c85.pngimage.png.2056080f583c14cb78b5c17fe3edfc4d.png  Plus we invented Disco and Tang

image.png.bd2514d82d3188eb4f3efba8fc557e9f.pngimage.png.89d549ae47213e4cf056b9ba82f36aa2.png

Ditto.  And we get told a few times our bar is not "instantgramable" or something like that. It's classic 60s interior and was like that when we bought the place a few years back and will stay like that.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

It's still available in the grocery stores. Usually in the same aisle that you find Kool-aide and Country Time on.

I thought you were in the US (50 states)! I'll check but pretty sure there's no Tang here. Last time I googled it, was denied.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BelindaN said:

I hate strong tea.

I hate it when people say they 'like tea', and drink the tea dust swept off the factory floors and stuffed into teabags, that's been artificially flavoured with all sorts of synthetic nonsense. And green tea, and 'white' tea. Go Orwellian or go home! And 'red tea'? That's not a thing; rooibos makes a nice beverage that's suitable for an evening drink as it contains no caffeine (if you can't stomach the real thing, that is) - but it's not 'tea'. 

"Fourthly, the tea should be strong. For a pot holding a quart, if you are going to fill it nearly to the brim, six heaped teaspoons would be about right. In a time of rationing, this is not an idea that can be realized on every day of the week, but I maintain that one strong cup of tea is better than twenty weak ones. All true tea lovers not only like their tea strong, but a little stronger with each year that passes - a fact which is recognized in the extra ration issued to old-age pensioners." - George Orwell

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I thought you were in the US (50 states)! I'll check but pretty sure there's no Tang here. Last time I googled it, was denied.

I am. And I have Tang in my pantry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tang_(drink_mix)

https://www.amazon.com/Tang-Orange-Powdered-Quarts-Canister/dp/B002WWHXS6

Tang has been on the market since 1957.  The powdered form hit the market the same year I was born. 1959.

• Like 2

I store up my peeves so I can post several at a time.

I'm agreeing with whoever it was who mentioned starting a mega-group chat with "hi" and whatever, and combine it with the pet peeve about asking for a landmark because that's easier than hitting "search" (?). Today in one such group someone asked if the group has a Flickr page. Oh ffs. Go look? So I thought, well maybe it is listed under something weird and they can't find it. So I went to Flickr, typed in Group Name Second Life and there it pops up, first in the list. So I go back to the Group chat, and tell the person that. They come back, no nope nuh uh, they can't find it. WTF? I was just there! So I went BACK to Flickr and clicked on the stupid group, got the actual URL and pasted it to chat. My biggest pet peeve there? THAT I DID THAT! LoL. Why? I guess I'm just such a nice person ... :D It really would have been a pet peeve if the usual would have happened, that being no thank you for the trouble and help, but in this case I did get a thanks, so there's that.

Bigger pet peeve: Inworld, chatting with someone one on one, maybe dancing, maybe on a first date (cuz I'll tell you, after this happens there ain't no second date)... and they either poof off line without one bit of warning, leaving you to wonder if it was an Internet connection thing, something you said, what??? OR they just simply go afk without warning and you only learn that after you realize you're typing to air for several minutes. Maybe you stand around and wait, maybe not. Maybe 10-15 minutes later they come back to where they left off and you find out their wife had walked into the room. :/  Yeah. No. 

ETA: Apparently I missed the original comment, but I really dislike generational bias/hatred/bigotry. Whether it is millenial hating or Boomer hating or Gen X or whatever, it is just stupid. I posted elsewhere that the broad groupings are BS anyway. There's no way someone from 1946 has much in common with those born in 1964. Or those from 1979 with 1995. People who would clutch their little PC chests about a racial slur not having problems with making slurs about someone of a different age? Again... yeah, no.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 5

31 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Bigger pet peeve

To be fair, if my wife walked in on me I'd probably be gone for more than 15 minutes ... 

... Because I'd have a heart attack or mental breakdown if suddenly I just had a wife pop out of thin air. Possibly both.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Biggest Pet Peeve?

12 year old avatars that look like they stopped updating their look 10 years ago and expect you to take them seriously. Generally combined with poor grammar - You know: "hi bby"

I know not everybody can spend their entire paycheck on SL but c'mon.. Its 2020, show some effort.

... Yes, I'm one of those people.

Edited by Naisuki
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Naisuki said:

Biggest Pet Peeve?

12 year old avatars that look like they stopped updating their look 10 years ago and expect you to to take them seriously. Generally combined with poor grammar - You know: "hi bby"

I know not everybody can spend their entire paycheck on SL but c'mon.. Its 2020, show some effort.

... Yes, I'm one of those people.

I've been running into a lot of 10+ year old avatars with virtually blank profiles, too. Like... in all that time they haven't done/learned/thought anything about SL or anything else, or maybe things were just so dire in SL after all that time they just deleted it all in one giant wtf?

I'm one of those people too

4 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

I've been running into a lot of 10+ year old avatars with virtually blank profiles, too.

The first thing I tell new people in SL to fix isn't their avatar's appearance, that's a project to put a lot of time and thought and testing into - but put -something- in your profile, that isn't:

• Dating profile one-liners (i.e. 'I like shopping, the beach, and hanging out with friends' - that information is useless). 
  • Brainy / inspirational quotes (the ability to copy-paste something Einstein said doesn't make you appear intelligent, it makes you appear unimaginative - and misinterpreting Horace makes you appear an outright idiot).
  • 'BDSM test scores' / limits (firstly, this makes you appear like you're in SL only for zhe pixelbumps, and secondly, it makes you look like a completely amateurish fast-food kinkster).
  • 'Brat' (whatever dynamic you have in a relationship, or want to have in a relationship, is completely irrelevant for anyone who isn't part of you relationship - if you think that being a brat means that you can act like an entitled b*tch towards anyone and everyone you meet, you ought to be sterilized).
  • 'I luffs muh famyluh, meet my mom, my other mom, my dad, his nephew, my gran, my nan, my sissy's pootang, my drunk uncle and my favourite grandchildren' (I'm not looking at your profile to find out about other people). 
  • ' ... And if you mess with them, I'm gonna hurt you' ( ... Okay then).
  • 'Put this ASCII dog in your profile to show you're against animal cruelty' (is this your profile, or pop-up spam?).
  • 'Hi, I'm a furry child avi, please keep things PG!' (you got it - but also, why are you wearing a high-scripted attachment called 'lady bits'?).
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

I'm agreeing with whoever it was who mentioned starting a mega-group chat with "hi" and whatever, and combine it with the pet peeve about asking for a landmark because that's easier than hitting "search" (?). Today in one such group someone asked if the group has a Flickr page. Oh ffs. Go look? So I thought, well maybe it is listed under something weird and they can't find it. So I went to Flickr, typed in Group Name Second Life and there it pops up, first in the list. So I go back to the Group chat, and tell the person that. They come back, no nope nuh uh, they can't find it. WTF? I was just there! So I went BACK to Flickr and clicked on the stupid group, got the actual URL and pasted it to chat. My biggest pet peeve there? THAT I DID THAT! LoL. Why? I guess I'm just such a nice person ... :D It really would have been a pet peeve if the usual would have happened, that being no thank you for the trouble and help, but in this case I did get a thanks, so there's that.

The phrase I tend to use in these situations us "the problem lies between keyboard and chair".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, AyelaNewLife said:

The phrase I tend to use in these situations us "the problem lies between keyboard and chair".

My dad worked in a tech department, they always told the user "It's okay, it was an ID-10-T ERROR between chair and keyboard."

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Haha 1

I remember recently helping someone at the bus lot with her computer. She didn't have much of a clue since she only operated a phone.  When the supervisor asked me later if I figured out the issue, I said it was an ID 10. He looked at me funny although the head manager busted a gut. He used to be an IT person.

10 hours ago, Orwar said:

The first thing I tell new people in SL to fix isn't their avatar's appearance, that's a project to put a lot of time and thought and testing into - but put -something- in your profile, that isn't:

• Dating profile one-liners (i.e. 'I like shopping, the beach, and hanging out with friends' - that information is useless). 
  • Brainy / inspirational quotes (the ability to copy-paste something Einstein said doesn't make you appear intelligent, it makes you appear unimaginative - and misinterpreting Horace makes you appear an outright idiot).
  • 'BDSM test scores' / limits (firstly, this makes you appear like you're in SL only for zhe pixelbumps, and secondly, it makes you look like a completely amateurish fast-food kinkster).
  • 'Brat' (whatever dynamic you have in a relationship, or want to have in a relationship, is completely irrelevant for anyone who isn't part of you relationship - if you think that being a brat means that you can act like an entitled b*tch towards anyone and everyone you meet, you ought to be sterilized).
  • 'I luffs muh famyluh, meet my mom, my other mom, my dad, his nephew, my gran, my nan, my sissy's pootang, my drunk uncle and my favourite grandchildren' (I'm not looking at your profile to find out about other people). 
  • ' ... And if you mess with them, I'm gonna hurt you' ( ... Okay then).
  • 'Put this ASCII dog in your profile to show you're against animal cruelty' (is this your profile, or pop-up spam?).
  • 'Hi, I'm a furry child avi, please keep things PG!' (you got it - but also, why are you wearing a high-scripted attachment called 'lady bits'?).

That's a pretty big list. And frankly - Its a pretty big list of things that signal me to not speak to you. I've seens eeing it more and more often too. Admitting I do hang around adult orientated sims and yes - I do them pixzehlbangzz sometimes. But in general everything that is mentioned by you makes it clear to me you lack any sense of common knowledge.

Here's a simple flowchart.

1. Would you put what you have in your SL profile on your Facebook? | Yes or No? | If no, Don't. If yes, Go to step 2.
  2. Would this information be beneficial for anybody reading your profile? | Yes or No? | If no, Don't. If yes, Go to step 3.
  3. Gives the information a clue about yourself as a person? | Yes or No? | If no, Don't. If Yes, Go to step 4
  4. Is the information done by yourself, not made out of arbitrary meassuring data and does it not make you look like a shallow, unintelligent being? | Yes or No? | If no, Don't. If Yes..

Do it.

Also; To add to the list of pet peeves:

• Furry Discrimination. (I Know there's a giant population of them on SL, and for good reason too. Just don't expect me to change to a furry avi if I wanna peek around your sim. Hell would be raised and 'discrimination' thrown around if it was the other way around.. Reason I know this is I ran a RP sim at one point and I had legit death treaths and was called Hitler for not allowing full blown Furry avi's.)
  • Kemono Avatars are children. (Okay, granted.. most people slap 'em on and call it a day. There's plenty of mods out there that make them look not like a overly tall 12 year old. Just because someone isn't 8 feet tall and wears a cute anime head doesn't equal them being 12. There's an entire community of anime people on SL who are afraid going to events because they'll get banned by anybody without 2 braincells reporting them for *****. Yes - Including sim owners who I believe should know better.)
  • No mod (Funny enough. Reason why aformentioned body is popular is due to its high modibility - uncluding its appearal selection. People who make stuff for Maitreya/Belleza/insertbodynamehere should really stop making a T-shirt in 20 colors and sell them for L$100 per piece. This is not RL. SL thrives on user created content. Someone made the argument they'd lose revenue if they made their stuff moddable, but most Kemono Creators got their revenue from the fact they do allow modding, attracting people afterseeing mod x or y. So its really no excuse.)

I'll probably have more and will probably add more. But for now.. Yeah.. That's it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Naisuki said:
  • Furry Discrimination. (I Know there's a giant population of them on SL, and for good reason too. Just don't expect me to change to a furry avi if I wanna peek around your sim. Hell would be raised and 'discrimination' thrown around if it was the other way around.. Reason I know this is I ran a RP sim at one point and I had legit death treaths and was called Hitler for not allowing full blown Furry avi's.)

I have *never* witnessed furry sims that don't allow human avatars to at least visit. Like, over almost 14 years of SL I've not seen it a single time, whereas I still run into the reverse. (I keep a human in my pocket for those occasions)

Also, fresh new pet peeve: hunt locations that place the items roughly 4096 meters in the air and don't clearly label which of 10 teleporters at least goes to the correct skybox. Bonus points if there are ban orbs strewn about the sky to make flying there a more difficult solution.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1482 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.