How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

7 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This is the kind of lighting and shadow I was trying to achieve (unsuccessfully) earlier. One of the things I've discovered is that what appears on my screen in the viewer, and in the preview panel for snapshots, is not always exactly what the resulting png file looks like. In particular, I have to crank my Shadow Blur setting to about double the supposed "maximum" (i.e., 8 rather than 4) for it to really appear in the png file.

Is that usual? Is there something I need to set on my computer, or in my viewer, so that what appears on screen is reflected properly in the snapshot?

Moonlight-through-Leaded-Glass 1.png

First of all - you look gorgeous, and I love hove you use the shadows!

Then to the blur thing:

I suspect what you are experiencing is an effect from a different resolution on your screen than in the png file. If you are looking at SL on screen at 1920x1080 and take a photo, and then saves that at let's say 3 times that resolution to a file at 5760x3240 - the SL rendering algorithms will make that image sharper... It's like if it uses a 10-pixel transition to make a line blurry, it keeps this number of transitional pixels even though the resolution of the final file would demand 30 pixels or so to look as blurry as on screen (Firestorm - I have not tested other viewers and how they render stuff...).

Picture taken and saved to file at the same resolution as the screen (and it looks exactly like in the preview...):

Snapshot_001.thumb.jpg.de88e165fa7bb893a24b5a31f1834ae5.jpg

Nothing changed, except saved to file with much higher resolution (and that I moved my head a little :)) - and scaled down to the same pixel size for comparison :

Snapshot_002.thumb.jpg.8afb98f5f4488d4416953e7ffd1d93d3.jpg

Much less DoF blur...

So being aware of this, my workaround is just to overdo DoF and blur settings until I get the result I want in a higher resolution file (or save the file in the native screen resolution)...

Now we hopefully get to learn about the proper and elegant way to solve this from a tech savy Second Life  3D and photo-expert :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Angelina String said:

I suspect what you are experiencing is an effect from a different resolution on your screen than in the png file. If you are looking at SL on screen at 1920x1080 and take a photo, and then saves that at let's say 3 times that resolution to a file at 5760x3240 - the SL rendering algorithms will make that image sharper... It's like if it uses a 10-pixel transition to make a line blurry, it keeps this number of transitional pixels even though the resolution of the final file would demand 30 pixels or so to look as blurry as on screen (Firestorm - I have not tested other viewers and how they render stuff...). 

Thank you! It's nice to know that it's not just my imagination, or my computer, or my install of Firestorm . . .

This totally makes sense -- or would if I had any kind of real understanding of computers. I suppose, in the same way that saving a large resolution image at a smaller resolution tends to reduce sharp edges and angularity, the opposite would have, well, the opposite effect. In any case, I think I now know how to deal with the shadow blur thing, even if it might mean checking a sample saved image on my computer in order to ensure that I've got the blur set correctly in the viewer. I've had, as your example suggests, some problems getting the DoF to display properly as well (even with CoC cranked up as far as it will go): I'll have to start experimenting with that, maybe using the f-number to deepen the blur a bit (although I'm not sure that will actually accomplish that).

3 hours ago, Angelina String said:

First of all - you look gorgeous, and I love hove you use the shadows!

And thank you again for these kind words! My avi is still a work in progress, which is fine, because tweaking it is quite enjoyable. But I am, at last, reasonably happy with how the shadows worked on this one!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Goatee.thumb.jpg.2b90301d0355a854fbdd8558795b29b5.jpg

And that really IS terrifying.

You wouldn't have to lift a finger: confronted with that, I'd tie myself to the train tracks, and pray that the train came fast.

PS. How the hell do you have a pic on file of your devil in a goatee, all ready to go?????

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

And that really IS terrifying.

You wouldn't have to lift a finger: confronted with that, I'd tie myself to the train tracks, and pray that the train came fast.

Ooooh, this was a better idea than I expected.

33 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

PS. How the hell do you have a pic on file of your devil in a goatee, all ready to go?????

Omniscience.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Angelina String said:

It's always the small details that make one look good. I normally go with Solar Designer eyewear, but these frames have some personality.

Thank you Angelina.

• Like 1

I have been torn lately between dressing in warm clothes and playing in the snow, and dressing in somewhat less and playing in this waterfall. I went for the waterfall  this morning,and had  to put  a little bit on to take  a forum picture.

11.20.2018_001.png

• Like 14

14 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

I have been torn lately between dressing in warm clothes and playing in the snow, and dressing in somewhat less and playing in this waterfall. I went for the waterfall  this morning,and had  to put  a little bit on to take  a forum picture.

11.20.2018_001.png

Got pics as a “snow bunny” with muffs, fur hat, and not much else?

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Got pics as a “snow bunny” with muffs, fur hat, and not much else?

Maybe in a studio with fake virtual snow, but in real virtual snow I would freeze my virtual bits off.

11.20.2018_002.png

• Like 12
  • Haha 3