How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

7 hours ago, LaskyaClaren said:

Depth of field using a depth map as a mask. I've had mixed results with this, but it works well here I think.

Mediterranean-(Colour)-Blank.thumb.jpg.6e58c65cf1c46083b183ff27f813803c.jpg

Nice! Depth map method does work very well here. I can only get this method to work around half of the times I've tried, and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong on the half that it doesn't. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Eva Knoller said:

Nice! Depth map method does work very well here. I can only get this method to work around half of the times I've tried, and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong on the half that it doesn't. 🤷‍♀️

She does look like Scylla a bit, don't ya think?! :) But different.

Edited by kiramanell
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Eva Knoller said:

Sometimes I get jagged or splattered edges on the blur -- I think it might have something to do with alpha layers, but I'm not certain either. Another problem is if you've got a scene with movement, of course. This one had some birds flying around, but they don't seem to have caused problems.

I like it when it works: it's a very neat solution, and it gives one more control over it. On top of which, I occasionally crash when I turn DoF on in BD.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, LaskyaClaren said:

Sometimes I get jagged or splattered edges on the blur -- I think it might have something to do with alpha layers, but I'm not certain either.

That has the ring of truth it. The Depth Map method, using the 'levels' trick, is rather elegant, but probably not a 100% foolproof (when doing the 'quick-and-dirty' demo version of it), as white/black around edges (that would normally already have some anti-aliasing going on at their borders) may not be selected to become fully black for the alpha map. You'd need some anti anti-aliasing tool for that. :) Or maybe just a thin 'feather' around the alpha mask, who knows?

Of course, I feel dumb now even talking to you about this, as you, very obviously, have a tenfold better understanding of PhotoShop than I do. 🥰 Just meant to say, I feel you're probably onto something with the alpha-layer borders.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

That has the ring of truth it. The Depth Map method, using the 'levels' trick, is rather elegant, but probably not a 100% foolproof (when doing the 'quick-and-dirty' demo version of it), as white/black around edges (that would normally already have some anti-aliasing going on at their borders) may not be selected to become fully black for the alpha map. You'd need some anti anti-aliasing tool for that. :) Or maybe just a thin 'feather' around the alpha mask, who knows?

Of course, I feel dumb now even talking to you about this, as you, very obviously, have a tenfold better understanding of PhotoShop than I do. 🥰 Just meant to say, I feel you're probably onto something with the alpha-layer borders.

Meh -- I'm not PS expert, by any means!

I think what you describe is more or less what's happening. It might indeed be possible to doctor the map in PS where that occurs -- dunno! Haven't tried it! Maybe I will now!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

610444.jpg

I've worked out what looks different now that you have your new head.

You look happy. With your old head you always looked to be somewhere between mild melancholy and deep depression.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Panteleeva said:

💖

Snapshot_003.png

Hehe,  love seeing you use a wee overbright facial look too. :) Especially on your avi, which is so Angelic to begin with. ❤️

N.B. I've been raking my tiny brain on why faces actually almost always look better that way. My preliminary guess is, that, in absentia of true facial detail, our brains just resort to interpolating a lot, just fill in the blanks, as it were, with what we know a face should look like -- a process in which the details are just assumed, whilst hidden (as opposed to visibly not there). I tried this earlier, on another Chloe picture of mine. And just a teensy bit of overbright really works wonders for me!

chloe3.thumb.jpg.6c1f4c61be9d251440cb797af58b72fb.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Panteleeva said:

💖

Snapshot_003.png

I forgot to mention this in the other thread, but I'm really loving those blue and yellow nails! ❤️ Nailed it! (OMG, that was B-movie bad, LOL, but it's written). And I'm pretty sure I have the matching blue and yellow ear pins myself. :) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1