What distinctive food is popular in your town?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2541 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Yorkshire puddings, of course. That goes without saying. They are eaten in a number of ways, usually on a hot meat dinner, or before a dinner, both with gravy. Sometimes people put golden syrup on them and eat them on their own. They are always eaten with a knife and fork.

Fish 'n' chips. (The fish should never have any skin on, but the skin is left on one side in some parts of the country. Yuk!). Generally eaten with a knife and fork if on a plate, or with fingers if not on a plate - in a car, in front of TV, or whatever.

Pie and peas. Not just any pie and any peas. The pie is always a pork pie and the peas are always mushy peas. It's standard to put mint sauce on it. Eaten with various implements - knife and fork, spoon, just a fork, wooden fork thing, plastic spoon, but never with fingers.

Those are not specific to the city where I live but they are as close as I could get to answering the question.

Yep, for me too. 

NB: Me and Phil do not live together! ;)  

I would add also black pudding, which is nice fried with egg and bacon and sausage. 

And tripe and onions, although I think this "delicacy" was poor people food during last century and the people south of London have nicked it for their posh fodder restaurants WE SAW YOU COMIN' MATE, slap annuver tenner on it fer being dahn sarf. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Pixieplumb Flanagan said:

Pasties, of course, but only Rowe's: http://www.rowesbakers.co.uk/,  Philp's: http://www.philpspasties.co.uk/, or Warren's: https://warrensbakery.co.uk/

Cream tea - the jam goes on first, THEN the cream.  it's cream, not butter; don't be mad.

I always found it amusing that the EU accepted a request to make "Cornish Pasties" a regionally protected item (like Champagne only coming from the Champagne region of France), and then defined an official Euro-Pastie that excluded some traditional family run Cornish bakers from legally calling their pasties "Cornish" because they were top crimped not side crimped, or had a sweet filling at one end, or didn't include the turnip or added carrots and peas.

The real irony is that bakers outside Cornwall can make Official Euro-Pasties and call them "Cornish", if they buy their non Cornish ingredients from a Cornish wholesaler!

Edited by Klytyna
  • Like 1

I've never had a Yorkshire pudding. Is it a piece of bread covered in gravy? It seems to be something else but I havent seen a description of what it is like exactly. Just people saying they like to eat it. That's not very helpful. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

I've never had a Yorkshire pudding. Is it a piece of bread covered in gravy? It seems to be something else but I havent seen a description of what it is like exactly. Just people saying they like to eat it. That's not very helpful. 

You make up a batter, same ingredients as for making pancakes. Plain flour, eggs, water, milk, mix it to a smooth consistency, add a spot of vinegar (I'm not really sure my, my father always did it), and leave it to stand while you get some oil (or beef dripping/fat is best) heating in baking tins in the oven until it is so hot it is smoking. You put some batter in to each tin and put into the oven for 20 minutes or so. The batter turns into this wonderful eggy base and fluffy, crispy top, shapes like a bowl, so its great for filling with meat and onion gravy. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

The only distinctive dish from my neck of the woods is a Colchester Pudding (similar to a "Queen of Puddings")

christmas-colchester-pudding-1160019l1.j

Looks delicious. (licks lips)

One of the things I loved from school days, was something called Manchester tart. It was made in a big baking tin that would feed lots of children. A layer of pastry was baked and then raspberry jam was spread on the top of that, and a layer of custard was poured onto it, left to cool, and served cold, cut into slices. With a blob of raspberry jam and a bit of cream piped onto the top of it. I hated school dinners in the main, but loved Manchester tart.

• Like 3

Just now, Phil Deakins said:

You were doing great right up until you used the word 'onion'. 'Orrible things!

I've never heard of vinegar being added before.

And this is why we don't live together ;) :SwingingFriends:

If I feel a cold coming on, I have been known to bake some onions on their own in the oven and just have them on their own. They turn really sweet when baked, all that bitterness you can sometimes get in the middle of them bakes away.

Do you hate onions that much? :( 

Marigold Devin

CEO of the Onion Marketing Board :D 

• Like 5

I'm in Manitoba, Canada, we have a dipping sauce that is apparently unique to this province - honey dill sauce. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_dill.  We also have a delicacy called smoked goldeye http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/goldeye/  I don't care for it, the texture is unpleasant to me and slightly greasy, but I'm in the minority.

• Like 3

Just now, Marigold Devin said:

If I feel a cold coming on, I have been known to bake some onions on their own in the oven and just have them on their own. They turn really sweet when baked, all that bitterness you can sometimes get in the middle of them bakes away.

My local market carries little Cipollini onions. I love 'em. They're so small you cook them whole. They have a high sugar content, so they're perfect for caramelizing. I made the mistake of introducing them to all my friends and now I often find the market is out of them.

Grrr!

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

My local market carries little Cipollini onions. I love 'em. They're so small you cook them whole. They have a high sugar content, so they're perfect for caramelizing. I made the mistake of introducing them to all my friends and now I often find the market is out of them.

Grrr!

You know what they say, never introduce your onions or your boyfriends to your best friends ! :o

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2541 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.