What distinctive food is popular in your town?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2534 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

14 minutes ago, CharlotteStargazer said:

I'm in Manitoba, Canada, we have a dipping sauce that is apparently unique to this province - honey dill sauce. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_dill.  We also have a delicacy called smoked goldeye http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/goldeye/  I don't care for it, the texture is unpleasant to me and slightly greasy, but I'm in the minority.

Smoked goldeye still has to be better than poutine  xD

• Like 2

Just now, Rhonda Huntress said:

Smoked goldeye still has to be better than poutine  xD

Fast food poutine is pretty much what you'd expect. Mass produced gravy, not "real" cheese curds, and generic french fries. Homemade fries, well-made gravy and real cheese curds make a hell of a difference. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Yep.

and garlick :)

Maybe you are just too much of a sweetie to like something quite as savoury. I am now trying to think of sweet dishes that are associated with our area.

Oh I know - Yorkshire curd tart! 

curd tart.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CharlotteStargazer said:

Fast food poutine is pretty much what you'd expect. Mass produced gravy, not "real" cheese curds, and generic french fries. Homemade fries, well-made gravy and real cheese curds make a hell of a difference. 

Real (fresh) cheese curds must squeak when you bite them.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Maybe you are just too much of a sweetie to like something quite as savoury. I am now trying to think of sweet dishes that are associated with our area.

Oh I know - Yorkshire curd tart! 

curd tart.jpg

I've never heard of that but, if it's cheese, it's OFF my menu. That's the reason I don't eat pizza. Lemmon curd, definitely - yummy - but that's not local to us. I guess, as you suggested, I'm just too much of a sweetie :D

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 2

Just now, Rhonda Huntress said:

I am eating fried okra with lunch right now :)

I'm really jealous haha!

I miss the southern food the most about living in Texas. The mexican food here sucks big time in comparison. But the southern cuisine like fried Okra, chicken fried steak, and the white gravy.. ugh I need it in my life. Not to mention there's nothing like southern sweet tea!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Annika Velde said:

I'm really jealous haha!

I miss the southern food the most about living in Texas. The mexican food here sucks big time in comparison. But the southern cuisine like fried Okra, chicken fried steak, and the white gravy.. ugh I need it in my life. Not to mention there's nothing like southern sweet tea!

We could send you a care package. There's a place near my house that has the best steak fingers (chicken fried steak in strips) in town, with toast and fries and white gravy. Rhonda has to get a couple to go when she visits my side of town.

• Like 2

Just now, Clover Jinx said:

We could send you a care package. There's a place near my house that has the best steak fingers (chicken fried steak in strips) in town, with toast and fries and white gravy. Rhonda has to get a couple to go when she visits my side of town.

Please send me a care package, Ohio food is boring and bland :'(

I'll just have to come back to the south! There was a place in downtown Fort Worth called Benitos for Mexican food. I haven't been back to Texas in years but I would still consider that my fave restaurant. Chil rellenos.. I need to go to lunch soon. I'm making myself hungry

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2534 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.