What distinctive food is popular in your town?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2538 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

And do you eat it with fingers or what?  Maybe tell where you live as well.

Mine: Central Texas

BBQ brisket and pork ribs, the latter eaten with fingers.  Actually, the really hard core places serve the meat on a piece of butcher paper with no silverware, and no side dishes, no BBQ sauce, everything eaten with fingers.

Also Tex Mex -- my favorite is fajitas and guacamole. Tacos and nachos eaten with fingers (tho not by me because I eat a ketogenic diet).

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 4

Yorkshire puddings, of course. That goes without saying. They are eaten in a number of ways, usually on a hot meat dinner, or before a dinner, both with gravy. Sometimes people put golden syrup on them and eat them on their own. They are always eaten with a knife and fork.

Fish 'n' chips. (The fish should never have any skin on, but the skin is left on one side in some parts of the country. Yuk!). Generally eaten with a knife and fork if on a plate, or with fingers if not on a plate - in a car, in front of TV, or whatever.

Pie and peas. Not just any pie and any peas. The pie is always a pork pie and the peas are always mushy peas. It's standard to put mint sauce on it. Eaten with various implements - knife and fork, spoon, just a fork, wooden fork thing, plastic spoon, but never with fingers.

Those are not specific to the city where I live but they are as close as I could get to answering the question.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

I think I would like head cheese on top of a zeeuwse bolus.

As for distinctive food in my area, maybe street tacos, el pollo loco chicken, and in-n-out burgers.

I haven't had an in-n-out burger ? in years! Mmmm

• Like 1

I don't think there is any specific regional dish where I live, except for perhaps wine :)  I live on the edge of the Sonoma and Napa Valley winery regions, though I'm not big on wine, and think in the years I've lived here, we've only been wine tasting once or twice.    We have a lot of food trucks - both taco trucks and now more high-end gourmet food trucks. 

Head out one direction and you're driving through wine country, which is especially beautiful in the fall when the leaves are turning colors.  Head out in the other direction towards the coast and you're driving through dairy country, which is especially beautiful in the spring when everything is green and fields are dotted with wild mustard flowers and wild flowers along the road side.

We have an In-and-Out also, which we haven't been too for awhile.  (Makes a mental note for dinner suggestion to hubby tonight).  It's always packed, no matter what time of day or day of week. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

most will eww by the first and head cheese ...but this are a few of the real local foods here, in special the "natives" .. like it ..and tourists of course

periwinkle

zeekraal

lamsoor

head cheese ( home made)

mussels

zeeuwse bolus

You Dutch also eat "drop", a candy which is a mix of licorice and urine, I think.

• Like 3

Well for starters ,This is the best store bought I've ever had and only found it around here so far..

I never even bothered to read where it was from,because I'm too busy drinking it when I have it.. It tastes just like homemade..

IMG_9565-copy.jpg

As far as food..I'm from Chicago,born there,so the food down here doesn't compare to up there..

Although ,they do have some really good BBQ..I mean really good,just about anywhere ya go..I'll give'em that..

Oh yea,I'm in Tennessee right now also..Since I was around 10 years old is when we moved down here..

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Scouse and Chip butties  and as it's 5.30 pm here I need to eat

I clicked to see what those were.  The chip butties reminded me of when my husband and I traveled to the Canary Islands and we were at a 'supposedly' mexican restaurant.  We asked for Chips and Sauce (a traditional mexican thing) and got what we Americans call 'French Fries and Ketchup'.  

• Like 6

I don't care for seafood, which put me at odds with Port Washington's old Smith Brothers Fish Shanty. It's gone now, replaced by a Duluth Trading Co. store. You can still get a fish sandwich at the new Smith Brother's Coffee House. It's not the same, it's better. But, I still don't care for seafood.

This is the first year in many that I didn't go trudging through the snow to collect sap from trees in my friend's maple stand. It's lovely to thaw out by feeding logs into the boiler in the sugar shack, and the memory of that comes to life every time I pour maple syrup on anything.

Frozen custard might be a regional thing. It's ice-cream, but with raw eggs blended in. This place makes the best...

https://www.kopps.com

And, though they serve ice-cream, not custard, I love eating here on sultry summer evenings...

http://waynesdrivein.com/menu.php?section=5199

The burgers are okay, I go for the atmosphere and the "Blue Moon" ice-cream. It's blue, it's almond flavored, and it's delicious.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

My Dutch friend Connie would threaten me with drop. Her version was salty.

I stand by my claim.

yeah.. we have some (hundreds in fact) variations... sweet, salt, mint.. and lotttttsss more.. but never seen your ingredient in the lists:)

The only purpose of your ingredient was in a town in the south Tilburg... people who worked there in the textile industry had to save your ingredient in bottles at home and bring it to the factory.. it seems to have had a function for cleaning or bleaching the wool. ..during carnaval they still are called bottle-pee'ers. ( pitty not in english... https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kruikezeiker)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Alwin Alcott said:

yeah.. we have some (hundreds in fact) variations... sweet, salt, mint.. and lotttttsss more.. but never seen your ingredient in the lists:)

The only purpose of your ingredient was in a town in the south Tilburg... people who worked there in the textile industry had to save your ingredient in bottles at home and bring it to the factory.. it seems to have had a function for cleaning or bleaching the wool. ..during carnaval they still are called bottle-pee'ers. ( pitty not in english... https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kruikezeiker)

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fnl.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FKruikezeiker&edit-text=&act=url

You people pee on wool to "clean" it and you think that adding it to licorice doesn't happen?

I stand by my claim.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Seven gallons, Ceka? I imagine you're AFK a lot.

That's just the different kinds..

I only drink the one in front..

Also,for some reason I thought it was about,what good food does your town have rather than distinctive..

hehehe

Distinctive,I would have to go with Goat.. Mainly because of the goat fest once a year..I don't live in the town but it's the closest one to us ,so I call it our town..

Anyways,the town is Americas Home of the fainting goats.. They were first brought here from Germany,I believe it was..

I don't eat goat myself..I've tried it ,but just can't wrap my head around eating a goat..Especially since I had them as pets..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2538 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.