second life - the day of forever

cosplayjones

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1519 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Phil Deakins wrote:

cosplayjones wrote:

i beleive that second life might be an illusion of time

is it possible that second life could all be occuring on one day, 1 january 1970?

if so we are trapped in a day in the past that seems to last forever

What do you mean, in the past. If it's happening to us now, it's not exactly in the past, is it?

Everything you see and hear happened in the past.   ;)

• 3 years later...

Now you've turned this into an argument about root beer.

On that, I can get aboard

I love root beer, a lot, though I already told the story of why, I shall share the man who created the reason why, because he was awesome, and I was adorable

This old guy, in the hat and plaid shirt (my grandpa) and that little girl in the dress (2 yr old me, and his favorite grand kid..and also pretty fed up with that dress the women folk made me wear) got in a LOT of trouble that all started with root beer.  We shared, and committed, many a shenanigan, all surrounding a love of root beer that he instilled in me from the day I was born. Had I, and he, known then that we'd have less than five more years together...we'd have committed way more shenanigans too. 

grandpanme.thumb.jpg.3046983c3c43e338d639d50dcba0f0d9.jpg

Oh and to keep this on topic of root beer, this too was my first

1813975095_AW.jpg.e0db6e9e7e8ef10fbb84f8358fa959a1.jpg

But then we also had this other kind they don't sell anymore, and haven't since the 80's, it came in glass bottles, used actual sugar and was AMAZING!!!!

I also loves sarsparilla, birch beer, and, there's another one very similar, also sold in glass bottles. Some of them have made a comeback under new names (same title, new company) but the recipe itself is new too and not the same...good, but not the same. I LOVE root beer and things that taste like it

Edited by Tari Landar

• 4 months later...
On 2/12/2016 at 5:38 PM, Amethyst Jetaime said:

I don't know what you are researching as actually Patripassianism is the belief that God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are not three persons in one but one person.   A search on Google will tell you this.

You mean Homoiousianism, from the Nicene council?  Patripassianism is the belief that "the Father" suffered along with "the Son".

All of which, of course, caused untold strife as early Bishops ran around accusing each other of heresy (because, after all, the "real" Bishop" would control the very real money of the congregation and have real political power), Arians and Nicene's rioted against each other, and God probably just grabbed a beer and some popcorn and asked himself, "WTF stupid stuff are these people arguing over now".

On 2/12/2016 at 5:26 PM, cosplayjones said:

guided by my dreams i have been researching patripassionism

this is a branch of the christian faith that says that jesus did not die on the cross but instead time stood still at the crucifixion and we are living through jeuss christs last death throes

when i logged on today something very mysterious happened

my computer date next to second life said 1 january 1970

this never happened before!

is it possible that second life could all be occuring on one day, 1 january 1970?

like the death of christ, second life is a day of forever

Like groundhog day with Bill Murry?

Edited by Tarina Sewell

On 2/12/2016 at 10:26 PM, cosplayjones said:

this is a branch of the christian faith that says that jesus did not die on the cross but instead time stood still at the crucifixion and we are living through jeuss christs last death throes

Like groundhog day with Bill Murry?

On 2/12/2016 at 5:26 PM, cosplayjones said:

I don't know which sect you are referring to, but most Christian churches believe that Jesus redeemed the world and time, not that He merely made time stand still by dying. He descended down into hell but arose again on the third day. It seems to me you're leaving out the central tenet of the Christian faith -- Christ doesn't condemn us to time but in fact rescues us from time by offering us eternal life. We move through time and according to this belief we reach eternity, which is not the deadness of time or death but infinity.

The idea of the "time standing still" is similar to some pagan or Eastern religions with a notion of eternal recurrence, or the failure to advance out of time.

The Russian mystic Pytor Ouspensky, a student of Gurdjieff's, wrote a novel called "The Strange Life of Ivan Asokin" in which a man gets to repeat his life, but each time he comes to an incident where he could make a choice and change his life, he finds he can't, and does the same thing again because of his unchanged nature, til the end where he gets the bullet -- and the whole thing starts over again.

This story line was taken for the popular movie "Groundhog Day" and quite deliberately, as you can read in various places. Bill Murray himself was a student of Gurdjieff.

Long story short, I don't think that real life or Second Life are simulations and that God toys with us; I think we are created with free will. I don't know about 1970, but I have a folder in my inventory that says "1969" after the Lindens took my account and overhauled it because it was so buggy from so much inventory, and had it machine-separated into folders. "1969" is what happens on a computer system when the date isn't known. Not sure why it didn't go to 2004 and created that folder, but it did. I saw that in my hospital file which was completely lost as well during an overhaul of their system. It would put in putative AIDS tests for 1969, which would not be possible as AIDS hadn't been discovered then. 

If you stare into the abyss too long you see...an abyss. There is lots more to life so look up.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1519 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.