Thunes to acquire payments platform Tilia LLC

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Ah, so you're mad about the possibility of losing Adult Content? Got it!

Check the percentage of SL Regions that are G rated vs M rated vs A rated.

Check the percentage of MP items in the three ratings, see where most of LL's money comes from.

Imagine how bad the company will do if all that goes up in Puritanical smoke, because the people who process the credit carrd and pay pal payments say "no more smut".

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Check the percentage of MP items in the three ratings, see where most of LL's money comes from.

Imagine how bad the company will do if all that goes up in Puritanical smoke, because the people who process the credit carrd and pay pal payments say "no more smut".

That'll be the day SL will die for sure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

I don't disagree, I was just poking Coffee because it's her "pet issue".

OTOH, I 100% predict that selling Tilia, in itself, will NOT result in a change in Adult Content. 

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

but they don't team up, it's aquired.. so ordinairy sold ( as predicted during the previous change in command)

I reread it on the acquired thing.  I forgot forum rules prohibit replying to messages unless one had 3 cups of coffee in them first!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

weird thing is that Thunes and others speak about "aquire" ... not partnership.. that are two very different meanings.

I think "partnership" is what you call it when you become a customer of your former subsidiary (that you still hold a minority stake in).

Honestly, I think they did well to find a buyer for this turkey. It's not worthless like Sansar was, but if Oberwager can dine out on this for a while, good for him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There is no way the CEO of Thunes won't put the fees up because they will think it's a great idea to make more money.  The SL economy is already running so tightly strung and you can't get blood out of a stone, people will just buy less lindens.  We will lose more of our favorite creators.  SL will die a little bit more.  :( 

Then as someone said before linden will look at other ways to get blood out of the stone because they just sold one of their revenue makers.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Also when Linden Lab/Second Life came into being back in 1944, there wasn't all the regulations on the web like we do now.  The old wild west of the WWW is long gone.

And that's how we won the war durnit!

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

good thing i see is some Belgium people at their top boards :) we could correspond in Dutch now  

Als het geen Walen zijn.. want dan moet het in het Frans.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Haha 2

• Community Manager

This is good news for Second Life residents and creators. More options without additional costs. We are having an open meeting on May 20 and can discuss in detail.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 13

I'm on the road, so don't have time to look into this news. But here's a few obvious things. 

1. Tilia was a FINTECH startup that created very cool blockchain-based  infrastructure that ALWAYS seemed to have a lot of potential for B2B transaction processing.  Remember, At the time that LL was acquired, there was a lot of discussion of The relative value of SL versus Tilia to the acquirers? Remember the speculation that Randy Waterfield was interested in LL to facilitate bank-bank money movement for small to medium-sized Banks? This is actually a bigger play than that would have been.

2. Tilia did not attract a whole lot of customers. That may have been by design, by which I mean, Tilia's Management may always have hoped for a technology acquisition like this as a successful endgame for the company. 

3. From the little I've  read about Thune, tillia seems like an ideal fit .  Seriously, people, read their website. This doesn't look to me like some sort of Goliath doing a leveraged buyout.  While Thune's attracted healthy venture funding, they are not yet a dominant player in the payment processing industry.  https://www.forbes.com/sites/zinnialee/2023/08/04/edbi-backed-singapore-fintech-startup-thunes-wants-to-take-on-swift/?sh=16cbad6c4837

4. I don't get why the term crypto is coming into this. Not everything that uses blockchain is at all related to cryptocurrencies.  I don't see any particular tie between thune and crypto.if anyone can cite a source for that, I'd love to read it  And no, the fact that thune is Singapore based is not an automatic tie to crypto.

5. I also don't get why an earlier poster said the article was 2 years old. Looks to me like it was written this month, am I missing something? 

6. The panic about adult content seems to me to be a real reach.

7. As private companies, Tilia and Thune are not obligated to disclose much of anything about the terms of this deal. So we'll just have to wait for LL to say what, if anything, this means for sL fees. I noticed a couple of different forms of canned partnerships on thune's website, but my guess is that Tilia's "partnership" is custom.

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

5. I also don't get why an earlier poster said the article was 2 years old. Looks to me like it was written this month, am I missing something? 

different article from the main news.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidprosser/2021/11/12/how-thunes-is-building-a-new-payments-system-for-the-world/

Edited by Quistess Alpha
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3